cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Middle-Aged Woman Who Lost Her Cool Factor - Any Artists You'd Recommend?

JosMcM
Underground

Wanting to add some more contemporary artists to my music portfolio. I used to be so up on 1980s/early 1990s alternative/indie/college music. I was even a dj for two college radio stations (WTUL in New Orleans) and WPLS (in South Carolina). 

But as my responsibilities grew, I wasn't able to put in the time to keep up with new music that I (with my eclectic tastes) would like. 

Do you have any recommendations for me? Not only for post-2000 artists (when I lost my cool factor), but any newer artists you think are "must listens."

I don't know much about hip-hop, but am open to it. I like rap (went to Public Enemy concert). l also love trip hop like Thievery Corporation, Sneaker Pimps, and 6 Underground. I love jazz, too. Pretty much, I believe I can find awesome songs in any genre. The only exception would be heavy metal. Maybe I'm small minded, but I hate heavy metal. LOL.

Thanks, in advance, for your recommendations. - Josephine

3 Replies

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, @JosMcM. 👋

Nice to see you around the community space. 

I completely understand where you're coming from. To be honest, I find myself listening to older artists from my youth for nostalgic purposes at times. 

If you're interested in emerging artists for this year, I would recommend checking out this post: Artists to Watch 2024: Pandora Ten -- My favorites on this list are Tyla and Vacations

Right now, I'm really enjoying music more on the soulful side Teddy Swims and jazzy soul like Samara Joy.

A great way to hear new music is to check out some of our "Today's" stations. Here are a few that I'm enjoying right now:

500W_500H.jpg

Today's Country

What's New and What's Next in the world of Country Music!

500W_500H-1.jpg

Today's Hits

The hottest songs play here!

500W_500H-2.jpg

90s, 2000s, Today's Hits

For those who can't decide on just one decade

Hope this helps jump start you a bit! 🎶

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What song fits your mood today?
Check out new tunes this week: New Music: Picks of the Week (06.17.24)

TannerPandora

Hi @JosMcM 

I can relate! I'm definitely trying to listen to more recent music releases myself. I recommend Today's Hits as a pretty good resource for some of the latest. I'm also a big fan of R&B as well, one of my favorite stations is Today's R&B and Old School

Either way, I definitely recommend using Modes on your stations. Modes will help curated your experience more. For example, for Today's Hits, one of the fun Modes they offer is Most Thumbed Up, which plays the most thumbed up tracks from other listeners. It's great!

Hope your musical journey leads you to a lot of fun new artists and tracks!

Today's Hits

Screenshot 2024-05-20 at 9.41.08 AM.png

Today's R&B and Old School

Screenshot 2024-05-20 at 9.44.43 AM.png

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@JosMcM I understand completely! 

There are so many new and amazing artists out there, that it can be hard to keep up with. Here are some places you can check out for new music/up and coming artists:

New Music: Picks of the Week

Each week, I put together a post with new music that gets released - check out my post from today here: New Music: Picks of the Week (05.20.24) 🎶

You can also go back and view previous posts I created here.

Trendsetters: Artists on the rise

I also recommend checking out this section of our website: Trendsetters: Artists on the rise

An artist by the name of Tommy Richman is on there and I really enjoy this track by him:

MILLION DOLLAR BABY by Tommy Richman

Hope this helps, and let us know what artists you enjoy as you continue on this journey. 🎶