cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This Day In The History Of Music.

Elvis Presley made his first public appearance as a singer on this day. It did not go well: he came fifth in a local talent show. But he was only ten years old. October 3, 1945; Chopin: The Day the Music Died The brief life of Chopin, one of music’s earliest superstars, ended on this day when the sickly composer fell victim to tuberculosis.  Source- | This Day In Music. For those who may not know. Elvis Presley was known as the King of Rock-n-Roll. 

P.S I am thinking about posting each day. If anyone in the Pandora community would like to add or suggest this post, then please do. I welcome all who are interested. Thank you. Take care everyone, and please stay safe as well.

25af85826df226c58a2984b3ec315386.jpg

P.S. I will be using two sources of information for "This Day In The History Of Music". The first source is This Day In Music and the second source is On This Day in Music History. And for the faithful readers of this post, you probably have also noticed I use a third source when the two sources that I do use are not in agreement with the facts, the third source will always be listed. When the third source has to be used I will always list it as a (Side Note:) and it will always be highlighted in bold red just as you see it now. When I have to use a third source it will normally agree with one of the other two sources, that is when I will agree with that information, in the case where the third source also differs from the other two I will just go with the first date and information given. When this happens I will leave it up to the reader to look into the fact and or facts for that blog, and please feel free to leave a reply about any additional information you may have found, and please list the source and or sources that you used for that additional information. I try my very best to add nothing but true facts to this post, and I will always give the source that I took those facts. When I add my own personal opinion I will do so as a side note as well, but that will be highlighted in bold blue. I do hope you enjoy reading this post, history has always been my favorite subject throughout my whole life, from grade school through college, and even to this day. 

Take care and stay safe. 

mod edit: format

MOHLovesAlaska
579 Replies

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing, @MOHLovesAlaska

I'd love to hear the history of music on specific days. Can't wait to see tomorrow's post! 📚🎶

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing, @MOHLovesAlaska! 😎

Most notable birthday's today in music. Ashanti, Sammy Hagar, Paul Simon, and Marie Osmond. Also on this day in the history of music. 

1963 - The Beatles
The Beatles made their debut on ITV's 'Sunday Night at The London Palladium', topping the bill and transmitted live to an audience of 15 million viewers. They played, 'From Me To You', 'She Loves You', 'Twist and Shout' and 'I'll Get You.'

1965 - The Who
The Who recorded 'My Generation' at Pye studios, London. When released as a single it reached No.2 on the UK chart, held off the No.1 position by The Seekers 'The Carnival Is Over'. Roger Daltrey would later say that he stuttered the lyrics to try to fit them to the music. The BBC initially refused to play the song because it did not want to offend people who stutter.

1970 - Janis Joplin
Janis Joplin's ashes were scattered at Stinson Beach in Marin County, California. The singer had been found dead on the floor beside her bed at the Landmark Hotel in Hollywood California on 4th Oct. The official cause of death was an overdose of heroin, possibly combined with the effects of alcohol.

1979 - Michael Jackson
Michael Jackson went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Don't Stop Till You Get Enough', his second US solo No.1, a No.3 hit in the UK.

2012 - Eric Clapton
An oil painting by the German artist Gerhard Richter which was owned by Eric Clapton sold for £21m ($34m) - an auction record for a work by a living artist. Clapton was set to give the money to the Crossroads Centre drug and alcohol rehabilitation center founded by the guitarist in Antigua.

2016 - Bob Dylan
Bob Dylan was awarded the 2016 Nobel Prize for Literature, becoming the first songwriter to win the prestigious award. The 75-year-old rock legend received the prize "for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition". 

There were many more events that also happened on this day in the history of music. These events that were posted, were the most notable by far.
Until tomorrow everyone. Take care and stay safe.    

P.S On a personal note. It is one year ago today that I had joined Pandora as a premium customer and listener. Be safe everyone. 
MOHLovesAlaska

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for today's update, @MOHLovesAlaska.

I'm loving these historical music facts for the day. 

Happy 1 year anniversary! 🎉

Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?

On this day in the history of music. 1978 Usher, American singer (My Way, Confessions) and actor, born in Dallas, Texas. 

1957 - The Everly Brothers
Although it was banned by some US radio stations for its suggestive lyrics, The Everly Brothers had their first No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Wake Up Little Susie', (a No.2 hit in the UK).

1968 - Jackson Five
The Jackson Five make their national TV debut on 'ABC TV's Hollywood Palace.

1969 - Frank Sinatra
Police in New Jersey issued a warrant for the arrest of Frank Sinatra in relation to his connections with the Mafia.

1972 - Michael Jackson
Michael Jackson went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Ben', his first solo No.1. which was also a a No.7 hit in the UK.

1988 - Def Leppard
Def Leppard became first act in chart history to sell seven million copies of two consecutive LPs, with Pyromania (their third studio album released in 1983) and Hysteria, (which became the band's best-selling album to date, selling over 20 million copies worldwide, and spawning six hit singles).

1990 - Leonard Bernstein
Multi-Emmy and Grammy award-winning American composer, pianist and conductor, Leonard Bernstein died of pneumonia. Composed music for the 1957 musical 'West Side Story', and 'On The Waterfront'. Bernstein conducted the New York Philharmonic aged 25 and wrote three symphonies, two operas, five musicals, and numerous other pieces

1996 - The Rolling Stones
28 years after its creation, The Rolling Stones' Rock & Roll Circus was finally released. The 1968 event put together by The Stones comprised two concerts on a circus stage and included performances by The Who, Taj Mahal, Marianne Faithfull and Jethro Tull. John Lennon and Yoko Ono performed as part of a supergroup called The Dirty Mac, along with Eric Clapton, Mitch Mitchell and Keith Richards. It was originally planned to be aired on BBC TV.

2004 - Eric Clapton
Eric Clapton was suspended from driving in France after being caught speeding at 134mph in his Porsche 911 Turbo near Merceuil. He was given a 750 euro (£515) fine and his UK license was confiscated. After paying his fine Clapton posed for photographs with French police and then left the scene in his Porsche - with his secretary behind the wheel. 

Sorry for posting this one late, but work is work. I should be able to post earlier tomorrow. Take care and stay safe.    

mod edit: format 
MOHLovesAlaska

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@MOHLovesAlaska Wow - 134 mph?! I can't even imagine going that fast.

Looking forward to the next one - appreciate you posting these! 👍

@AlyssaPandora  I know, right, I cannot even imagine what their whole thought process was to even consider doing it. Too much money perhaps? Who knows. Life is to short as it is, why rush it. Take care and stay safe.  

P.S I thank you for your interest. I also like history. It was my favorite subject throughout my years in school, as well as college. I still have a fancy for history. Be safe, wish you well.  

MOHLovesAlaska

Today in the history of music. 

1955 - Buddy Holly
Buddy & Bob (Buddy Holly) opened for Elvis Presley at the ‘Big D Jamboree’, held at Lubbock’s Cotton Club, Texas. Nashville talent scout Eddie Crandall was in audience and arranged for Holly to audition and record demos for the Decca US label.

1956 - Little Richard
Little Richard recored 'Good Golly, Miss Molly' at J&M Studio, New Orleans, Louisiana. Little Richard first heard the phrase "Good golly, Miss Molly" from a Southern DJ named Jimmy Pennick. He modified the lyrics into the more suggestive "Good golly, Miss Molly/You sure like to ball."

1960 - The Beatles
The Beatles (minus Pete Best) and two members of Rory Storm's Hurricanes (Ringo Starr and Lou Walters) recorded a version of George Gershwin's ‘Summertime’ in a Hamburg recording studio. The track which was cut onto a 78-rpm disc marked the first session that included John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo together.

1965 - Jimi Hendrix
Jimi Hendrix signed his first recording contract in the UK, where he would received $1 and a 1% Royalty on all of his recordings.

1966 - Four Tops
The Four Tops started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Reach Out, I'll Be There'. The group's second US No.1 and their first No.1 in the UK, (and becoming Motown's second UK chart-topper after The Supremes No. 1 hit 'Baby Love' in late 1964).

1972 - Lieutenant Pigeon
Lieutenant Pigeon were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Mouldy Old Dough.' Keyboard player Rob Woodward had his mum play piano on the single, making them the only mother and son act to score a UK No.1. The song was recorded in the front room of their semi-detached house.

1973 - Keith Richards
Keith Richards was found guilty of trafficking cannabis by a Court in Nice, France. The Rolling Stone was given a one-year suspended sentence and a 5,000 franc fine. He was also banned from entering France for two years.

1977 - Debby Boone
Debby Boone started a 10 week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'You Light Up My Life', the longest stay at the top since Guy Mitchell's 'Singing The Blues. A No.48 hit in the UK.

1988 - Bon Jovi
Bon Jovi started a four-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with their fourth release, 'New Jersey.' The album produced five Billboard Hot 100 Top 10 singles, the most top ten hits to date for a hard rock album.

1988 - Neil Diamond
UB40 went to No.1 on the US singles chart with their version of the Neil Diamond song 'Red Red Wine', also a No.1 hit in the UK.

1995 - Paul and Linda McCartney
Paul and Linda McCartney were the guest voices on Fox-TV's The Simpsons in an episode called "Lisa the Vegetarian". Macca's stipulation for appearing was that Lisa's decision to become a vegetarian would be a permanent character change, to which producer David Mirkin agreed.

2003 - The Dave Clark Five
Mike Smith, the former lead singer of The Dave Clark Five suffered a fall at his home in Spain that left him paralyzed from the waist down. Smith died of pneumonia on February 28th, 2008, less than two weeks before the band was to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

2004 - Procol Harum
Bill Eyden, the session drummer hired to play on Procol Harum's ’A Whiter Shade Of Pale’ died after a lengthy illness at the age of 74. Eyden also worked with Georgie Fame and the Blue Flames, Charlie Watts and was a member of the resident trio, led by Stan Tracey, at Ronnie Scott's club in London, England until the late 60s.

2006 - The Sugababes
The Sugababes were the most successful UK all-female act of the 21st century, according to new figures. Since their chart debut in 2000, they had scored 16 hits, beating the likes of Madonna and Britney Spears. The trio first made UK chart history in 2002 when, with ‘Freak Like Me’, made them the youngest female group to top the chart.

2007 - Britney Spears
Britney Spears visited a Los Angeles police station to be photographed and fingerprinted ahead of her hit-and-run court case. The 25-year-old singer spent about 30 minutes at the station after a judge ordered her to submit to the procedures. Ms. Spears was charged last month for allegedly crashing into a parked car while driving without a valid license.

2013 - Madonna
Madonna was banned from a US cinema chain after being accused of texting during a film. Attending the New York Film Festival screening of 12 Years a Slave, the 55-year-old was reportedly asked to stop texting by an audience member. Tim League, CEO of the Alamo Draft house chain, tweeted: "Until she apologizes to movie fans, Madonna is banned from watching movies at Alamo."

2014 - U2
U2 frontman Bono said he was sorry after their latest album was automatically added to the libraries of all iTunes users around the world, saying the move was a "drop of megalomania, a touch of generosity". iTunes users complained that the 11-track Songs of Innocence had been added to their music library without permission and that it was not clear how to delete it.

Most Notable birthday's today are: 
1975 - Ginuwine  
(Elgin Lumpkin) US rapper, (1997 UK No.10 single 'When Doves Cry'). 

1984 - Shayne Ward
Born on this day Shayne Ward, winner of the 2005 UK TV series The X Factor. His 2005 UK No.1 single ‘That’s My Goal’ became the Christmas No.1, selling a record-breaking 313,000 copies on its first day of sales, making it the third fastest selling single of all time, (behind Elton John 'Candle in the Wind' and Will Young's 'Evergreen', which sold 685,000 and 400,000 copies in their first days of sale respectively. 

P.S On a more personal note. The song "You Light Up My Life", this is a song I think about very often. My second grade teacher, Miss Hoffman use to sing it just about everyday. It was her favorite song, and Debbie Boone was her favorite music artist, along with anything Opera. Well I hope you like the music facts for today. Take care and stay safe all.   
MOHLovesAlaska

On this day in the history of music. 

1951 - Little Richard
18 year old Richard Penniman, who was already using the stage name Little Richard made his first recordings for RCA Camden at the studios of Atlanta radio station WGST.

1956 - Frankie Laine
Frankie Laine was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'A Woman In Love', the singers fourth and final UK No.1. Laine had the nicknames Mr. Rhythm and Old Leather Lungs.

1961 - Patsy Cline
Decca records released 'Crazy' by Patsy Cline. The ballad, composed by Willie Nelson gave Cline a No.2 country hit in 1962. Nelson originally wrote the song for country singer Billy Walker, but Walker turned it down. The song's eventual success helped launch Nelson as a performer as well as a songwriter. It spent 21 weeks on the chart for Cline, and eventually became one of her signature tunes.

1962 - Marvin Gaye
The first night of a two month Motown Records package tour started in Washington DC, featuring Marvin Gaye The Supremes, Mary Wells, The Miracles and 12 year old Stevie Wonder.

1965 - The Beatles
The Beatles recorded 'Day Tripper' at Abbey Road studio's London in three takes, they then added vocals and other overdubs, completing the song before the end of the day.

1967 - Joan Baez
Folk singer Joan Baez was arrested, along with 123 others, for blocking the entrance to an Armed Forces Induction Center in Oakland, California.

1969 - Bobbie Gentry
Bobbie Gentry was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with the Burt Bacharach and Hal David song 'I'll Never Fall In Love Again,' the singers only UK No.1

1969 - Leonard Chess
Record company executive and founder of the Chess record label Leonard Chess died of a heart attack aged 52. Home to John Lee Hooker, Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley Little Walter, The Moonglows, The Flamingos, Jimmy Reed and Sonny Boy Williamson.

1972 - Creedence Clearwater Revival
Creedence Clearwater Revival split up following the failure of their most recent album, 'Mardi Gras'. After limited success as a solo act and some legal hassles with Fantasy Records, John Fogarty would have two big hits in 1985, 'Center Field' and 'Rock and Roll Girls'. John's brother Tom Fogarty died in September, 1990 and the surviving members have been touring as Creedence Clearwater Revisited.

1976 - Rick Dees
One Hit Wonders Rick Dees and his Cast Of Idiots went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Disco Duck, (part one)'. Dees was a US TV and radio presenter, the song became a No.6 hit in the UK.

1976 - Stevie Wonder
Stevie Wonder's 'Songs In The Key Of Life', went to No.1 on the US album chart, (the working title was Let's See Life the Way It Is). Featuring the tracks 'Sir Duke', 'I Wish', 'Pastime Paradise' and 'Isn't She Lovely', it was Wonder's third US No.1 and became the best-selling and most critically acclaimed album of Wonder's career.

1982 - Culture Club
Culture Club appeared on UK TV's Top Of The Pops performing 'Do You Really Want To Hurt Me'. They were booked on the show thanks to Shaken' Stevens being ill and not able to appear. The song became a major hit after their memorable performance on the music TV show.

1986 - Chuck Berry
Keith Richards, Eric Clapton and Robert Cray joined other artists on stage in St Louis, for Chuck Berry's 60th birthday concert, as featured in the film 'Hail Hail! Rock & Roll'.

2001 - Bob Dylan
Two security guards were sacked after refusing to allow Bob Dylan into his own concert. Dylan who had demanded that security on his 'Love and Theft' tour should be tighter than ever didn't have a pass when he arrived backstage.

2006 - Patti Smith
CBGB, the legendary New York punk club credited with discovering Patti Smith and Ramones, closed after a final gig by Smith herself. Blondie and Talking Heads also found fame after performing at the club, which helped launch US punk music. The venue first opened in December 1973, its full name CBGB OMFUG standing for "country, bluegrass, blues and other music for uplifting gormandizers".

2007 - Bertrand Cantat
French rock star Bertrand Cantat was freed from jail after serving half of an eight-year sentence for killing his actress girlfriend. Cantat, singer with Noir Desir, was jailed for the manslaughter of Marie Trintignant after a violent row in a Lithuanian hotel in July 2003. She died after spending days in a coma.

2007 - Madonna
Madonna signed a ground-breaking recording and touring contract with concert promoter Live Nation becoming the first major star to choose an all-in-one agreement with a tour company over a traditional record contract. The deal reported to be worth $120m (£59m) over 10 years, would give Live Nation rights to all her music-related projects - including new albums, tours, merchandise, websites, DVDs, sponsorship, TV shows and films.

2010 - Led Zeppelin
Auburn University graduate student Justin Havird named a new species of fish, Lepidocephalichthys zeppelini, because the fish's pectoral fin reminded him of the double-neck guitar used by Jimmy Page. 'I'm a big Led Zeppelin fan, and I was listening to them while I was working on the fish,' Havird said. 'The structure that makes this species unique just reminded me of the guitar that Jimmy Page played'.

2015 - Patti Smith
Patti Smith was said to be moved to tears after a fan returned a bag of stolen goods to the singer, 36 years after they went missing. They included a shirt worn for a 1978 Rolling Stone cover shot and a bandana given to her by her late brother. The items went missing in June 1979 when a truck, which was carrying $40,000 in amplifiers, guitars and other musical equipment, was stolen from outside a hotel after Smith and her band played a show at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago.

2017 - Ed Sheeran
Ed Sheeran broke his wrist and elbow in a biking accident, forcing him to cancel dates on his tour of Asia. He called his time off "the most depressing six weeks of my life."

Most notable birthday's today: 
1923 - Bert Kaempfert
1937 - Emile Ford
1938 - Nico
1942 - Dave Loveday
1943 - Fred Turner
1945 - Roger Hawkins
1947 - Bob Weir
1952 - Cordell Mosson
1953 - Tony Carey
1959 - Gary Kemp
1960 - Bob Mould
1962 - Michael Balzary
1965 - Simon Bartholomew
1969 - Wendy Wilson
1977 - John Mayer

Until tomorrow, take care and stay safe.  

MOHLovesAlaska

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for today's post, @MOHLovesAlaska.

Keep 'em coming! 🎼

mckackel1
Underground

awesome!!!!  love learning!!! oops gotta go trucks are back

AlyssaPandora  will do, I think I would do this even if no one found interest in it. There are some really cool facts on the history of music, as well as important events that have occurred on certain day's throughout the history of music. 

P.S Monday is soon approaching, and thus far, it is you, @joemd1960 along with myself that will be posting song of the day from different genre's. I will post for pop, easy-listening, rock, gospel, as well as contemporary gospel. I chose these due to it's popularity. This has been a great week. Well AlyssaPandora, you have a great weekend, take care and stay safe.    

MOHLovesAlaska

@mckackel1 thanks for your interest, you stay safe. Hope to see you around more. Have a great weekend. Take care. 

MOHLovesAlaska

On this day in music history:

1962 - The Beatles
In between their lunchtime and night shows at The Cavern Club in Liverpool, The Beatles travelled to Granada TV Centre in Manchester to make their television debut. They appeared live on the local magazine program People and Places performing two songs ‘Some Other Guy’ and 'Love Me Do'.

1964 - Manfred Mann
Manfred Mann started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Do Wah Diddy Diddy', possibly the first No.1 with a Nonsense Song Title. Also a No.1 in the UK, the song was first released by the US group The Exciters.

1970 - Jackson Five
The Jackson Five started a five-week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'I'll Be There'. The group's fourth No.1 of 1970, it made No.4 in the UK. Motown records claimed the group had sold over 10 million records during this year.

1973 - The Rolling Stones
The Rolling Stones performed two shows at Foret Nationale, Brussels, Belgium, as part of a tour of the UK and Europe. Opening for the tour's shows were Billy Preston and American group Kracker, the first band to be signed to Rolling Stones Records. Bobby Keys didn’t show up for the concert, which resulted in him being banned by Mick Jagger from future Rolling Stones tours until 1989, with occasional exceptions. According to legend Bobby missed the gig due to him filling a hotel bathtub with Dom Perignon champagne and drinking most of it.

1981 - Christopher Cross
Christopher Cross started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Arthur's Theme, (Best That You Can Do)', his second US No.1. and a No.7 hit in the UK.

1987 - Bee Gees
The Bee Gees became the only group to have a UK No.1 single in each of the three decades, (60s, 70s & 80s), when 'You Win Again' went to No.1 on the UK singles chart. The brothers fifth and last No.1.

1991 - Ernie Ford
American singer and television presenter Tennessee Ernie Ford died of liver failure. Had the 1955 US & UK No.1 hit with his version of the Merle Travis song ‘Sixteen Tons'. In the 60’s hosted a daytime talk show, The Tennessee Ernie Ford Show on the ABC television network.

1992 - Tasmin Archer
Tasmin Archers debut single 'Sleeping Satellite' was at No.1 in the UK, the English singer, songwriters only No.1. Archer wrote the song in the late 1980s about the moon landings in 1969, but it was only when Archer got a record deal that the song saw the light of day.

1995 - Noel Gallagher
During an interview with The Observer magazine Noel Gallagher from Oasis said he wished Damon Albarn and Alex Cox of Blur would die from AIDS. He later retracted his statement.

1995 - Sting
Sting's former accountant Keith Moore was sentenced to six years in jail after being found guilty of embezzling £6 million from the singer's 108 bank accounts.

1999 - Michael Jackson
It was reported that Michael Jackson had played a secret gig at a martial arts exhibition in Barnstaple, England. The man who had arrived in the white stretch limo was Navi, a Londoner who claims to be the world's number one Jako impersonator.

1999 - Thomas Durden
Thomas Durden died aged 79. Wrote the lyrics to Heartbreak Hotel, one of Elvis Presley's early hits. Durden had read a newspaper account of a man who had committed suicide, the man had left a note saying, ''I walk a lonely street,'' Durden used the phrase as the basis for 'Heartbreak Hotel.’

2000 - Jimi Hendrix
A flat in Montagu Square London, which was once owned during the 60s by Ringo Starr went on the market for £575,000. The two bedrooms, two-story property was also home for Jimi Hendrix, John & Yoko and  Paul McCartney during the 60s.

2001 - Jay Livingston
Songwriter and composer Jay Livingston died of pneumonia. Best known for writing hits with Ray Evans for Doris Day, (‘Whatever Will Be, Will Be (Que Sera, Sera)’ and Nat King Cole, (Mona Lisa).

2002 - Derek Bell
Derek Bell instrumentalist in the Irish folk group The Chieftains died of cardiac arrest in Phoenix, Arizona. Joined the group in 1975, released the 1981 solo album Derek Bells Plays With Himself, awarded an MBE in the 2000 for services to traditional music.

2005 - Freddie Mercury
Freddie Mercury's 1974 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow failed to sell in an eBay auction, having not met its reserve price. It had been listed by his sister, Kashmir Cooke, who had inherited the car from him. The auction had attracted nearly 200 bids and exceeded £60,000 (approximately $93,000). The luxury vehicle had not appeared in public since 2002, when it had been used to transport the Bulsara family to the premiere of the Queen stage musical We Will Rock You. It came with a box of Kleenex Mansize tissues left in the car by Freddie.

2007 - Teresa Brewer
US singer Teresa Brewer died aged 76. She was one of the most popular US pop singers of the 1950s scoring hits such as ‘Gonna Get Along Without Ya Now’ and ‘Into Each Life Some Rain Must Fall.’ She also sang with Tony Bennett, Duke Ellington, Dizzy Gillespie and Wynton Marsalis.

2008 - Four Tops
Four Tops singer Levi Stubbs died at his Detroit home, aged 72. Stubbs had been in ill health since being diagnosed with cancer in 1995 and a stroke and other health problems led him to stop touring in 2000. The group signed with Motown Records in 1963 and produced 20 Top 40 hits over the following 10 years, making music history with other acts in Berry Gordy's Motown stable.

2008 - Madonna
Madonna and Guy Ritchie announced that their seven-year marriage was over because they had drifted apart. The press reported that without a pre-nuptial agreement, Ritchie could be looking at up to £50million of Madonna’s £300million fortune.

2009 - The Rolling Stones
Johnny Depp presented Keith Richards with the 'Rock Immortal' Award at the Greek Theatre in Los Angeles, California, as part of this years Scream Awards.

2017 - Gord Downie
Canadian rock musician Gord Downie died of glioblastoma aged 53. He was the lead singer and lyricist for the Canadian rock band The Tragically Hip as well as releasing six solo albums. The bands final concert was held at the Rogers K-Rock Centre in Kingston, Ontario, on August 20 2016 and was broadcast and streamed live by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation on television, radio and internet. It was viewed by an estimated 11.7 million people.

Born On This Day In Music World:  
1923 - Barney Kessel
1934 - Rico Rodrigues
1935 - Michael Eavis
1941 - Alan Howard -
1941 - Jim Seals 
1946 - Jim Tucker
1947 - David St Hubbins
1956 - Fran Cosmo 
1958 - Alan Jackson
1967 - Rene Dif 
1968 - Ziggy Marley
1972 - Eminem
1972 Wyclef Jean 
1977 - Chris Kirkpatrick. 

That is music history for this day. Until tomorrow, Take care and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska

Good morning all. This is what happened on this day in the history of music: 

1956 - Elvis Presley
21-year-old Elvis Presley pulled into a Memphis gas station where he started to attract a small crowd of autograph seekers. After repeatedly asking Elvis to move on so he could resume normal business, station manager Ed Hopper slapped Presley on the head and found himself on the receiving end of a punch in the face from Elvis. Station employee Aubrey Brown tried to help his boss, but was no match for Presley. After police are called, Hopper and Brown were charged with assault and were fined $25 and $15 respectively.

1957 - Paul McCartney
Paul McCartney made his first appearance with The Quarry Men at New Clubmoor Hall, Norris Green, Liverpool. The line-up for The Quarry Men was John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Eric Griffiths, Colin Hanton, and Len Garry. Paul played John some songs that he had composed which Lennon contributes, marking the birth of the Lennon and McCartney songwriting partnership.

1964 - The Beatles
Taking a day off from their British tour The Beatles went into the studio and completed the recording of six album tracks and the A-side of their next single: ‘I Feel Fine’. They also completed ‘Eight Days a Week’, ‘Kansas City/Hey Hey Hey Hey’, ‘Mr. Moonlight’, ‘I'll Follow the Sun’, ‘Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby’. ‘Rock and Roll Music’ and ‘Words of Love.’

1966 - Jimi Hendrix
The Jimi Hendrix Experience played their first gig as a band supporting French pop star Johnny Hallyday at the Paris Olympia in France.

1967 - Bobbie Gentry
Ode to Billie Joe the debut album by Bobbie Gentry was at No.1 on the US chart. It was the only album to displace The Beatles Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band from its 15-week reign at the top of the Billboard 200 album chart. The recording of the title track 'Ode to Billie Joe' generated eight Grammy nominations, resulting in three wins for Gentry and one win for arranger Jimmie Haskell

1967 - Bee Gees
The Bee Gees were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Massachusetts', the group's first of five UK No.1's. Engelbert Humperdinck was at No.2 with ‘The Last Waltz’ and Traffic were at No.3 with ‘Hole In My Shoe.’

1968 - John Lennon
John and Yoko were taken to Paddington Green police station and charged with obstruction, after cannabis was discovered at the apartment they were staying in. Lennon pleaded guilty the following month and was fined £150.

1969 - Temptations
The Temptations scored their second US No.1 single with 'Can't Get Next To You'. A No.13 hit in the UK.

1974 - Sweet Sensation
TV talent contest winners Sweet Sensation were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Sad Sweet Dreamer', their only UK No.1.

1974 - Al Green
Al Green was taking a shower at his Memphis home when his ex-girlfriend Mary Woodson burst in and poured boiling hot grit over him. She then shot herself dead. Green suffered second degree burns.

1979 - Buggles
Buggles were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Video Killed The Radio Star.' A studio band featuring producer Trevor Horn. Famously, it was the first ever music video shown on MTV in North America.

1981 - Dave Stewart
Dave Stewart and Barbara Gaskin were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with their version of the Quincy Jones produced 1963 Lesley Gore hit 'It's My Party.'

1986 - Nick Berry
Former EastEnders TV actor Nick Berry was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Every Loser Wins.' Berry had played barman Simon Wickes in the TV show. It also gave BBC records its first ever UK No.1 single.

1989 - Guns N' Roses
During a gig at The Los Angeles Coliseum, California, (opening for The Rolling Stones,) Guns N' Roses front man Axel Rose announced that this would be the last Guns N' Roses concert unless the band members "got their **ahem** together." He was referring to their use of heroin.

1996 - Joni Mitchell
Joni Mitchell was interviewed by Morrissey for the promotional CD 'Words and Music' by Reprise Records to promote her new releases Hits and Misses.

2000 - Julie London
American singer and actress Julie London died after suffering a stroke. Scored the 1956 US No.9 & UK No.22 single 'Cry Me A River', which was also featured in the 1956 film The Girl Can't Help It. She recorded 32 albums during her career, played the role of nurse Dixie McCall, in the television series Emergency! (1972 - 1979).

2002 - Ronettes
After a 15 year court battle, New York State's highest court ruled that the Ronettes, did not have the right to share the money earned by their producer Phil Spector through the use of the group's songs in movies, television and advertising. Citing a 1963 contract signed by the group, the court also substantially reduced the amount they stood to gain from royalties on sales of records and compact discs.

2005 - John Lennon
An image of a naked John Lennon taken on the last day of his life, was named the top US magazine cover of the past 40 years. The Rolling Stone front cover, taken by Annie Leibovitz and showing Lennon curled around Yoko Ono, was picked by editors, artists and designers.

2005 - Midge Ure
Live Aid co-founder Midge Ure collected his OBE from the Queen for his music and charity work. The 52 year-old ex-Ultravox singer wore a kilt for the occasion at Buckingham Palace, London.

2005 - Madonna
Madonna admitted that she wrote a groveling letter to Abba asking if she could sample their music on her latest single ‘Hung Up.’ The singer had to seek permission to sample ‘Gimme Gimme Gimme’ and became only the second act that Abba has allowed to sample their work. The Fugees used part of ‘The Name Of The Game’ on their 1996 track ‘Rumble In The Jungle.’

2007 - Lucky Dube
South African reggae star, Lucky Dube was shot dead by car thieves when he was dropping his teenage son and daughter off in a Johannesburg suburb. Police said Dube's son and daughter were already out of the car when three shots were fired through the car window, witnesses said the wounded singer tried to drive away, but lost control of his car and hit a tree.

2007 - Amy Winehouse
Amy Winehouse and her husband Blake Fielder-Civil were arrested in Bergen, Norway and held overnight for possession of cannabis. The singer was released the following morning after paying a fine of 500 euros (£350; $714).

2007 - Spice Girls
The Spice Girls US record label announced that their forthcoming greatest hits album would be made available exclusively at the lingerie chain Victoria's Secret shops in the US two months ahead of other outlets.

2008 - Adele
Adele appeared on Saturday Night Live along with then US vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin. The show earned its highest ratings in 14 years with a total of 17 million viewers. Adele who performed 'Chasing Pavements' and 'Cold Shoulder', topped the iTunes charts the following day and the singer's debut album jumped thirty-five places to No.11 on the US chart the following week.

2009 - The Editors
The Editors went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'In This Light and On This Evening', the bands third studio album.

2013 - Paul McCartney
Paul McCartney gave an impromptu gig in Covent Garden, London to a crowd of more than 2,000 fans during the lunchtime rush. McCartney's latest solo album 'New' was released in the same week.

Born on this day: 
1926 - Chuck Berry
1938 - Ronnie Bright 
1947 - Laura Nyro 
1949 - Gary Richrath
1949 - Joe Egan
1952 - Keith Knudson
1971 - Mark Morris
1974 - Peter Svensson
1977 - Simon Rix
1982 - Ne-Yo
1987 - Zachary Efron. 

That is music history for today. Until tomorrow. Take care and stay safe.   
MOHLovesAlaska

This is what happened on this day in the history of music: 

1961 - Helen Shapiro
Helen Shapiro was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Walkin' Back To Happiness.' The singers second and final UK No.1.

1966 - The Yardbirds
The Yardbirds arrived in New York for their first US tour with Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page on lead guitars. After two dates of the tour, Beck developed acute tonsillitis and quit the group. He would go on to form The Jeff Beck Group, that gave Rod Stewart his first major exposure.

1967 - The Sound Of Music
The soundtrack to The Sound Of Music was at No.1 on the UK album chart, spending its 132 week on the chart. The Beatles were at No.2 with Sgt. Pepper and Scott Walker was at No.3 with 'Scott.'

1968 - Cream
On their farewell tour Cream appeared at The Forum in Los Angeles, California, where live recordings were made which were included on the 'Goodbye Cream' album which was released the following year.

1968 - Humble Pie
18 year old Peter Frampton meet Steve Marriott at a Small Faces show in London. After striking up a friendship, the two started planning a new group which emerged as Humble Pie next April.

1973 - David Bowie
David Bowie released his seventh album Pin Ups. The album, which features supermodel Twiggy on the front cover, is a collection of cover versions of some of the singer’s favorite songs, including tracks by Pink Floyd, The Pretty Things, The Who, The Yardbirds and The Kinks.

1980 - AC/DC
AC/DC kicked off a 20-date UK tour at Bristol Colston Hall. The bands first gigs since the death of singer Bon Scott.

1985 - A-Ha
A-Ha went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Take On Me', making them the first Norwegian group to score a US No.1. The video for the song featured the band in a pencil-sketch animation method called rotoscoping, combined with live action which won six awards and was nominated for two others at the 1986 MTV Video Music Awards.

1989 - Alan Murphy
Alan Murphy guitarist with English band Level 42 died of pneumonia related to aids. Murphy also worked with Kate Bush, Go West and Mike & the Mechanics.

1991 - Noel Gallagher
Oasis played The Boardwalk in their hometown Manchester, the group's first gig with Noel Gallagher in the group.

1995 - Don Cherry
African-American jazz trumpeter Don Cherry died of liver failure aged 58. Developed the genre of world fusion music, incorporating influences of Middle Eastern, traditional African, and Indian music into his playing. Is the stepfather to singer’s musicians Neneh Cherry and Eagle-Eye Cherry.

1997 - Glen Buxton
Original Alice Cooper band guitarist Glen Buxton died from pneumonia, aged 49. Born in Akron, Ohio, he attended High School in Phoenix, Arizona, where he met Dennis Dunaway and Vincent Furnier, later to call himself the titular Alice Cooper. Buxton co-wrote several classic Alice Cooper hits, including 'School's Out', 'I'm Eighteen' and 'Elected.'

1998 - Noel Gallagher
Oasis guitarist Noel Gallagher made a surprise appearance at the launch party of the new London venue Sound Republic. He jammed onstage with Pete Townshend and members from Ocean Color Scene and Boo Radleys.

2000 - Robbie Williams
A judge ruled that Robbie Williams had substantially copied lyrics on his song 'Jesus In A Camper Van' from the 1961 Woody Guthrie song 'I Am The Way' and also used parts of a parody by Loudon Wainwright III. EMI Records had offered 25% royalties but the publishers Ludlow Music were demanding 50%.

2005 - Music Industry
A survey concluded that the average person spent around £21,000 ($42,000) on music during their lives, the figure included the amount spent on Hi-Fi equipment, concerts and CDs. Music enthusiasts were likely to spend more than double that, parting with just over £44,000 ($89,000), in a lifetime, according to the survey conducted by UK company Prudential.

2007 - Johnny Marr
Johnny Marr was made a visiting professor of music at the University of Salford in Manchester. The former Smiths guitarist was set to deliver a series of workshops and masterclasses to students on the BA Popular Music and Recording degree.
2009 - Elvis Presley
A clump of hair believed to have been trimmed from Elvis Presley's head when he joined the US Army in 1958 sold for $15,000 (£9,200) at an auction in Chicago, America. Other items sold belonging to Presley included a shirt which sold for $52,000 (£32,000), a set of concert-used handkerchiefs, $732 (£450) and photos from the reception of Presley's 1967 wedding to Priscilla, sold for nearly $6,000 (£3,700).

2010 - Elton John
Elton John described today's songwriters as "pretty awful", Pop music as "uninspiring" and talent shows like American Idol as "boring" in an interview with UK Radio Times magazine.

2011 - Michael Jackson
At the involuntary manslaughter trial of Dr Conrad Murray, Dr Steven Shafer testified that it would have been impossible for Michael Jackson to have self-administered a lethal dose of the sedative propofol. He later said of Dr Murray's delay in calling 911: "I almost don't know what to say. That is so completely and utterly inexcusable."

2011 - Coldplay
Coldplay released their fifth studio album 'Mylo Xyloto' which charted at No.1 in thirty-four countries. In the UK 'Mylo Xyloto' became Coldplay's fifth album to debut at No.1 and became the group's third to debut at No.1 on the US Billboard 200.

2014 - Raphael Ravenscroft
Raphael Ravenscroft who played the sax riff on the Gerry Rafferty hit 'Baker Street' died aged 60 of a suspected heart attack. He was only paid £27.50 for the 'Baker Street' session, and it has been reported that the cheque bounced and that it was kept on the wall of Ravenscroft's solicitors; by contrast the song is said to have earned Rafferty £80,000 a year in royalties.

Born On This Day: 
1944 - George McCrae
1944 - Peter Tosh
1945 - Jeannie C Riley
1946 - Keith Reid
1947 - Wilbert Hart
1948 - Pat Simmons
1956 - Nino DeFranco
1957 - Karl Wallinger
1960 - Daniel Woodgate
1960 - Jennifer Holliday 
1966 - Sinitta
1972 - Pras
1976 - Pete Loeffler. 

That is music history for this day. Until tomorrow, take care and stay safe. 
MOHLovesAlaska

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for today's musical history, @MOHLovesAlaska. 📚

AlyssaPandora you are so welcome. I am happy to do it. Even if no one else was interested. Have a great day, as well as a great week. Take care and stay safe.  

MOHLovesAlaska

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

This is really cool, @MOHLovesAlaska!

Thanks for taking the time to put these together. 🎶