cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This Day In The History Of Music.

Elvis Presley made his first public appearance as a singer on this day. It did not go well: he came fifth in a local talent show. But he was only ten years old. October 3, 1945; Chopin: The Day the Music Died The brief life of Chopin, one of music’s earliest superstars, ended on this day when the sickly composer fell victim to tuberculosis.  Source- | This Day In Music. For those who may not know. Elvis Presley was known as the King of Rock-n-Roll. 

P.S I am thinking about posting each day. If anyone in the Pandora community would like to add or suggest this post, then please do. I welcome all who are interested. Thank you. Take care everyone, and please stay safe as well.

25af85826df226c58a2984b3ec315386.jpg

P.S. I will be using two sources of information for "This Day In The History Of Music". The first source is This Day In Music and the second source is On This Day in Music History. And for the faithful readers of this post, you probably have also noticed I use a third source when the two sources that I do use are not in agreement with the facts, the third source will always be listed. When the third source has to be used I will always list it as a (Side Note:) and it will always be highlighted in bold red just as you see it now. When I have to use a third source it will normally agree with one of the other two sources, that is when I will agree with that information, in the case where the third source also differs from the other two I will just go with the first date and information given. When this happens I will leave it up to the reader to look into the fact and or facts for that blog, and please feel free to leave a reply about any additional information you may have found, and please list the source and or sources that you used for that additional information. I try my very best to add nothing but true facts to this post, and I will always give the source that I took those facts. When I add my own personal opinion I will do so as a side note as well, but that will be highlighted in bold blue. I do hope you enjoy reading this post, history has always been my favorite subject throughout my whole life, from grade school through college, and even to this day. 

Take care and stay safe. 

mod edit: format

MOHLovesAlaska
579 Replies

UncleBud
Chart Topper

Thanks for the post. I'll visit this post often if you're planning to update it. I have an Elvis station that is Artist Only mode that I occasionally listen to.

Good Wednesday afternoon fellow Pandorians. This Day In The History Of Music. Have a great Wednesday.

1877: Franz Schubert's 2nd Symphony in B premieres.

1934: Richard Strauss completes his opera "Die Schweigsame Frau".

1939: "All the Things You Are" recorded by Tommy Dorsey Orchestra.  

1955: Elvis Presley and Bill Haley and his Comets both appeared at Brooklyn High School auditorium, Cleveland.  

1960: Roy Orbison had his first UK No.1 single with 'Only The Lonely' and his first of 33 hits. The song was turned down by The Everly Brothers and Elvis Presley so Orbison decided to record the song himself.  

1961: The Beatles played a lunchtime show at The Cavern Club, Liverpool, and tonight they appeared at The Village Hall in Knotty Ash, Liverpool.  

1962: Peter, Paul, and Mary's debut folk album "Peter, Paul, and Mary" reaches No. 1 on US album charts.  

1962: Musical "Mr. President" opens at St James Theater New York for 265 performances.  

1962: Bobby 'Boris' Pickett and the Crypt-Kickers started a two-week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Monster Mash', it became a No.3 in the UK eleven years later in 1973. The song had been Banned by The BBC in the UK, deemed offensive.  

1964: The Rolling Stones played their first live concert in France when they appeared at the Paris Olympia.  

1964: "Golden Boy" opens at Majestic Theater in NYC for 569 performances.  

1964: A Riot at a Rolling Stones show in Paris leads to 150 arrests.  

1965:  The Beatles receive a gold record for the album "Yesterday".  

1967: Davy Jones of The Monkees opened his own 'Zilch', a boutique in Greenwich Village, New York City.  

1968: "Her 1st Roman" opens at Lunt Fontanne Theater in NYC for 17 performances.  

1969: The Who played the first of six nights at New York's Filmore East performing a two-hour show featuring the songs from 'Tommy.'  

1971: "Ain't Supposed to Die a Natural Death" musical by Melvin Van Peebles opens at Barrymore for 325 performances.  

1973: Queen Elizabeth II opens the Sydney Opera House.

1973: The Rolling Stones went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Angie', the group's 7th US chart-topper. A No.5 hit in the UK.  

1976: The Led Zeppelin film 'The Song Remains The Same', premiered in New York City. The charity night raised $25,000 for the save the children fund.  

1977: Siouxsie Sioux and Kenny Morris from The Banshees were arrested and held overnight at Holloway police station, London for causing an obstruction after a London gig, they were both fined £20.  

1977: Ronnie Van Zant, Steve Gaines, and Cassie Gaines from Lynyrd Skynyrd were all killed along with manager Dean Kilpatrick when their rented plane ran out of fuel and crashed into a densely wooded thicket in the middle of a swamp in Gillsburg, Mississippi. The crash seriously injured the rest of the band and crew who were due to play at Louisiana University that evening.  

1978: The Police made their US debut at C.B.G.B.S, New York. The trio had flown on low-cost tickets with Laker Airtrain from the UK, carrying their instruments as hand luggage.  

1979: The Eagles started a nine-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'The Long Run', the bands' fourth US No.1.  

1983: American country and western singer, songwriter, Merle Travis died of a heart attack aged 65. Acknowledged as one of the most influential American guitarists of the twentieth century. Wrote 'Sixteen Tons' 1955 US No.1 for Ernie Ford. He appeared in the 1953 movie From Here to Eternity singing ‘Reenlistment Blues’.  

1984: Wham! started a three-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Freedom', the duo's second No.1. The song was used in a Japanese commercial for Maxell audio cassettes, with altered lyrics.  

2003: Amy Winehouse released her debut album Frank, (named after Frank Sinatra). The album has now sold over one million copies in the UK.  

2003: A jury found Girls Aloud singer Cheryl Tweedy guilty of assaulting a nightclub worker. The singer was sentenced to complete 120 hours of unpaid community service and was ordered to pay her victim £500 compensation, plus £3,000 of prosecution costs. The singer had denied attacking toilet attendant Sophie Amogbokpa, saying she only punched her in self-defense. The charges stemmed from an incident at the Drink nightclub in Guildford, Surrey, on 11 January.  

2005: Michael Jackson received a jury summons at his Neverland ranch in California four months after he was acquitted on child molestation charges. A spokesperson said it was likely he would be excused from serving due to the fact that he has lived in Bahrain since the trial.  

2006: George Michael openly smoked a cannabis joint during an interview on a TV show. The singer was filmed backstage in Madrid, Spain where the drug is legal. Michael said ‘It’s the only drug I’ve ever thought worth taking, this stuff keeps me sane and happy. But it’s not very healthy.’  

2007: Paul Raven, the bassist with post-punk band Killing Joke, died of a suspected heart attack aged 46 in Geneva, Switzerland, where he was recording. He left the band in 1987 before forming Murder Inc and joining Ministry, Prong, and Mob Research.  

2011: US photographer Barry Feinstein, best known for taking enduring pictures of musicians such as Bob Dylan and George Harrison died aged 80. Feinstein was responsible for capturing more than 500 record sleeves, including Harrison's All Things Must Pass album and the cover photograph for Dylan's album The Times They Are A-Changin. The Rolling Stones sleeve for Beggars Banquet shot in a graffiti-covered toilet, was also Feinstein's work.  

2014: John Holt, reggae singer, and songwriter who first found fame as a member of the Paragons, died aged 67. Holt penned 'The Tide Is High' made famous by Blondie.  

2014: The childhood home of former Beatle George Harrison sold at an auction at The Cavern Club for £156,000, ($250,000). The three-bedroom mid-terrace home was where The Quarrymen held some of their first rehearsals before the band evolved into The Beatles in 1960.  

2018: On what would have been Tom Petty's 68th birthday, the city of Gainesville was renamed the former Northeast Park, a park where a young Petty had often visited, as Tom Petty Park.  

Born On This Day In The Music World:  

1788: Philip Knapton, an English composer, and organist (Caller Herrin) was born in York, England (d. 1833)  

1792: Anton Bernhard Furstenau, a German composer and flutist, was born in Münster (d. 1852)  

1819: Karol Mikuli, a Polish composer and pianist (friend of Chopin) was born in Czerniowice, Bukovina (d. 1897)  

1867: Fini Henriques, a Danish composer & violinist (Vølund Smed) was born in Frederiksberg, Denmark (d. 1940)  

1874: Charles Ives, an American composer (Holiday Quick-Step) was born in Danbury, Connecticut (d. 1954)  

1877: Josephine McGill, an American composer, and folksong collector was born in Louisville, Kentucky (d. 1919)  

1884: Thomas Chalmers, an American opera singer, actor, and filmmaker (Blind Alleys, Outrage) was  born in NYC, New York (d. 1966)  

1890: Ferdinand "Jelly Roll" Morton [LeMothe], an American jazz pioneer pianist and composer (King Porter Stomp) was born in New Orleans, Louisiana (d. 1941)  

1900: Rodolfo Halffter, a Spanish composer, and music critic was born in Madrid, Spain (d. 1987)  

1901: Hans-Otto Borgmann, a German film composer under the Third Reich, was born in Linden, Germany  

1908: Stuart Hamblen, American singer and composer (This Ole House), born in Kellyville, Texas (d. 1989)  

1913: Angelo Ephrikian, an Armenian-Italian composer, born in Treviso, Italy (d. 1982)  

1913: (Louis) "Grandpa" Jones, an American country music singer and banjo wizard (Hee-Haw), was born in Niagra, Kentucky (d. 1998)  

1914: Fayard Nicholas, an American tap dancer, one-half of The Nicholas Brothers and actor (The Five Heartbeats) was born in Mobile, Alabama (d. 2006)

1915: Giora Schuster, a German-Israeli composer, was born in Hamburg, Germany (d. 2006)  

1923: Robert Craft, an American conductor, writer, and friend of Stravinsky was born in Kingston, New York (d. 2015)  

1925: Herman Roelstraete, a Belgium composer, was born in Lauwe, Belgium (d. 1985)  

1925: American record producer Tom Dowd. He recorded albums by many artists including Eric Clapton, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Derek, and the Dominos, Rod Stewart, Aretha Franklin, Cream, Lulu, Chicago, The Allman Brothers Band, The J. Geils Band, Meat Loaf, Sonny & Cher, The Rascals, Willie Nelson, Diana Ross, Kenny Loggins, Dusty Springfield, The Drifters and Otis Redding. He died of emphysema on 27 October 2002.  

1931: Jules Eskin, an American cellist (Boston Symphony, 1964-2016) was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (d. 2016)  

1934: Eddie Harris, an American jazz saxophonist, and composer was born in Chicago, Illinois (d. 1996)  

1937: Wanda Jackson, an American country singer (Let's Have a Party) was born in Maud, Oklahoma.  

1939: Ray Jones, Dakotas, (1963 UK No.18 single 'The Cruel Sea').  

1939: Jay Siegel, from American male doo-wop-style vocal group The Tokens who had the 1961 US No.1 & UK No.11 single with its cover of Solomon Linda's 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight.  

1940: Kathy Kirby, UK singer, (1963 UK No.4 single 'Secret Love'). Died 19th May 2011.  

1942: John Carter, who with the Ivy League had the 1965 UK No.3 single 'Tossing and Turning'.  

1942: Joe Bourne, an American jazz singer (Upbeat and Sweet) was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts. 

1943: Dunja Vejzovic, a Croatian soprano, was born in Zagreb, Croatia  

1944: William Hugh Albright, an American composer, and musician was born in Gary, Indiana (d. 1998)  

1945: Ric Lee, drummer, Ten Years After, (UK rock group, 1970 UK No.10 single 'Love Like A Man').  

1945: Thomas Pasatieri, an American opera composer (Frau Margot) was born in New York City.  

1950: Tom Petty, American singer, and songwriter. He was the frontman of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers and was a founding member of the late 1980s supergroup the Traveling Wilburys and Mudcrutch. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers had 1977 single 'American Girl', the 1989 UK No.28 single 'I Won't Back Down, and the 1991 UK No.3 album 'Into The Great Wide Open. With the Traveling Wilburys, the 1988 UK No. 21 single 'Handle With Care'. Petty has also released a string of solo albums, and Throughout his career, and has sold over 60 million albums. Petty died on 2 October 2017.  

1950: Elodie Lauten [Genevieve Schecroun], a French-American composer (The Death of Don Juan) was born in Paris (d. 2014)  

1951: Alan Greenwood, keyboards, with English-American rock band Foreigner, who scored the 1985 UK & US No.1 single 'I Want To Know What Love Is'. They are one of the world's best-selling bands of all time with worldwide sales of more than 80 million records.  

1954: Steve Orich, an American orchestrator and composer (Jersey Boys) was born in New York City.  

1954: Günter Müller, a German sound artist, improviser, and percussionist, was born in Munich, West Germany.  

1955: Thomas Newman, an American film score composer (The Shawshank Redemption) was born in Los Angeles, California.  

1955: Mark Feltham, English harmonica player with UK R&B group Nine Below Zero. Feltham has also worked with Rory Gallagher, Roger Daltrey, Deacon Blue, Roy Harper, Annie Lennox, Oasis, Robbie Williams, and many other artists.  

1957: Susanna Haavisto, a Finnish actress and singer, was born in Helsinki, Finland.  

1958: Ivo Pogorelić, a Croatian pianist (1978 Casagrande winner) was born in Belgrade, Yugoslavia.  

1958: An English musician Mark King, lead singer and bassist from Level 42, who had the 1986 UK No.3 & US No.12 single 'Lessons In Love' & 19 other UK Top 40 hits.  

1958: Ricky Byrd, an American rocker (Joan Jett & Blackhearts) was born in The Bronx, New York.  

1960: Lepa Brena a 'Yugoslavia’s Madonna', a Yugoslav singer, was born in Tuzla, Yugoslavia.  

1964: Zap Mama [Marie Daulne], a Belgian-Congolese Afro-pop and world music singer-songwriter was born in Isiro, Democratic Republic of the Congo.  

1964: David Ryan, drummer, from American alternative rock band The Lemonheads. A cover of Simon And Garfunkel's 'Mrs. Robinson became one of the band's most successful singles in the early 90s.  

1964: Jim Sonefild, drummer with American rock band Hootie & the Blowfish who had the 1995 US No.1 album Cracked Rear View which sold over 15m copies.  

1965: Norman Blake, guitar & vocals, Teenage Fanclub, (1992 UK No.31 single 'What You Do To Me').  

1966: Fred Coury, an American glam rock drummer (Cinderella -"Heartbreak Station"; "Nobody's Fool"), was born in Johnston, New York  

1967: Luck Mervil, Haitian-Québécois an actor and singer-songwriter, was born in Port-au-Prince, Haiti.  

1971: Dannii Minogue, an Australian singer, sister of Kylie Minogue, was born in Melbourne, Victoria. 

1971: Snoop Doggy Dogg, (Calvin Broadus), 1993 US No.1 album 'Doggy Style', 1996 UK No.12 single 'Snoop's Upside Your Head'.  

1974: SubtractiveLAD [Stephen Hummel] a Canadian electronic music composer and performer, was born in Vancouver, British Columbia.  

1976: Tom Wisniewski, an American guitarist (MxPx)  

1977: Nicholas Hodgson, drummer, Kaiser Chiefs, (2005 UK No.3 album ‘Employment’, 2005 UK No.6 single 'Oh My God', 2007 UK No.1 single 'Ruby').  

1976: Tom Wisniewski, an American guitarist (MxPx)  

1977: Leila Josefowicz, a Canadian-American classical violinist, was born in Mississauga, Ontario.  

1978: Paul Wilson, bassist from Northern Irish rock band Snow Patrol, scored the 2006 UK No.1 album Eyes Open and the 2006 UK No.6 single ‘Chasing Cars’.  

1980: Gary Jarman, an English musician (The Cribs) was born in Wakefield, England.  

1988: Risa Niigaki, a Japanese singer (Morning Musume) was born in Yokohama, Japan.  

1989: Jess Glynne, a British singer, and songwriter, best known for featuring on Clean Bandit's single 'Rather Be' and Route 94's 'My Love', both of which reached No.1 on the UK Singles Chart in 2014.

1992: Taz Taylor, an American record producer, songwriter, and record executive, as well as the founder of the Internet Money collective and record label.

Hopefully, we will do this again tomorrow, take care and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska

Good Thursday morning, This Day In The History Of Music. Have a great Thursday. 

1858: Jacques Offenbach's operetta " Orpheus in the Underworld" (Orphée aux Enfers) premieres in Paris, includes "Infernal Galop" (can-can tune)

1944: Walter Piston's "Fugue for a Victory Tune" premieres in NYC.

1958: Buddy Holly's last recording session took place at Pythian Temple Studios, New York City. The songs recorded included 'Raining In My Heart', 'Moondreams' and 'It Doesn't Matter Anymore' which became a No.1 hit.

1965: Bill Black, Elvis Presley's bass player, (1954-57), died four months after receiving surgery to remove a brain tumor, aged 39. With guitarist Scotty Moore, and Elvis Presley on rhythm guitar, Black played on ‘That's All Right (Mama)’, Heartbreak Hotel, ‘Baby Let's Play House’, ‘Mystery Train’, ‘Hound Dog’; ‘Jailhouse Rock’ in the late 1950s. Black, Scotty Moore, and drummer D. J. Fontana toured extensively during Presley's early career. After leaving Presley Black formed Bill Black's Combo.

1965: Wanting to improve on a previous recording session The Beatles started from scratch on a new song called 'Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)', finishing recordings in three takes. They also begin working on another new John Lennon song 'Nowhere Man.'

1965: The Spencer Davis Group recorded 'Keep On Running' at Pye Studios in London, England. The track went on to top the UK chart next January.

1967: Scottish singer Lulu started a five-week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with the theme from the film 'To Sir With Love'.

1971: "To Live Another Summer" opens at Helen Hayes NYC for 173 performances.

1972: "Dude" closes at Broadway Theater NYC after 16 performances.

1972: "Man of La Mancha" closes at Beaumont Theater NYC after 140 performances.

1972: "Pacific Paradise" closes at Palace Theater NYC after 5 performances.

1972: Chuck Berry started a two-week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'My Ding-A-Ling', his first and the only US and UK No.1, 17 years after his first chart hit.

1972: Curtis Mayfield started a four-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with the soundtrack to 'Superfly'.

1975: "Treemonisha" opens at Uris Theater NYC for 64 performances.

1975: Elton John is given a star in Hollywood.

1976: Keith Moon played his last show with The Who at the end of a North American tour in Toronto. On September 7, 1978, Moon died of an overdose of a sedative Heminevrin, that had been prescribed to prevent seizures induced by alcohol withdrawal.

1978: The Clash fired manager Bernie Rhodes, saying the band and record company 'found him hard to deal with'. Melody Maker journalist Caroline Coon took his place.

1980: "Banjo Dancing" opens at Century Theater NYC for 38 performances.

1989: "Dangerous Games" closes at Nederlander Theater NYC after 4 performances.

1989: Jive Bunny And The Mastermixes had their second UK No.1 single with 'That's What I Like.' The Theme from Hawaii Five-O was the recurring hook in the record which also included 'Lets Twist Again', 'Lets Dance', 'Great Balls of Fire', and 'The Twist'.

1992: George Michael took Sony Records to court in a fight over his contract with the company; he lost the case in 1994. Michael worked with Sony again less than 10 years later.

1992: Madonna's book "Sex" goes on sale.

1993: "Twilight of the Golds" opens at Booth Theater NYC for 29 performances.

1995: Green Day singer Billie Joe was arrested and fined $141 after mooning at the audience during a gig in Milwaukee.

1997: Elton John's 'Candle In The Wind 97' was declared by the Guinness Book Of Records as the biggest selling single record of all time, with 31.8 million sales in less than 40 days and raising more than £20 million for charity. 2001 "United We Stand" benefit concert for September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks victims, held in Washington, D.C. and New York City, organized and headlined by Michael Jackson and featuring Aerosmith, Mariah Carey, The Backstreet Boys, Tom Petty, Paul McCartney, Eric Clapton, The Who, and David Bowie. The events were expected to raise millions for the victims' families. 

2006: American musician, singer, songwriter, and drummer Sandy West died. Founding member (with Joan Jett) of the all-girl group The Runaways, hailed by fans and critics alike to be one of the most groundbreaking drummers in rock and roll history.

2006: British broadcaster John Peel left over £1.8m and over 25,000 vinyl records in his will. Peel died suddenly at the age of 65 from a heart attack in 2004.

2006: Evanescence was at No.1 on the US album chart with their second album 'The Open Door.' It became the 700th No.1 album in Billboard since the chart became a weekly feature in 1956.

2013: Sid Bernstein, the concert promoter who staged early US shows by The Beatles and The Rolling Stones, died aged 95. Bernstein booked The Beatles for their legendary show in New York City in 1965, Bernstein also promoted the Fab Four's gigs at Carnegie Hall in New York on their first US tour in 1964. He also arranged The Rolling Stones first five US gigs and shows for Judy Garland, Ray Charles, and Tony Bennett.

2014: Former Dr. Feelgood guitarist Wilko Johnson said he has been "cured" of the terminal pancreatic cancer with which he was diagnosed in 2012. The 67-year-old was initially given 10 months to live after rejecting chemotherapy but had radical surgery to remove the tumor earlier this year.

2016: Leonard Cohen released his last album, You Want It Darker, 17 days before his death. Cohen was in poor health while the album was being made, and never went to the recording studio, relying on his son Adam to handle the sessions and integrate his tracks. The title track was awarded a Grammy Award for Best Rock Performance in January 2018.

2020: 54th CMT Music Awards: Carrie Underwood and Luke Bryan win, the hosts were Reba McEntire and Darius Rucker. 

1570: Wolfgang Schonsleder, a composer.

1574: Nicolò Rubini, an Italian composer and cornettist, was born in Crevalcore (d. 1625)

1680: Francisco Jose Coutinho, a composer.

1751: David Moritz Michael, a composer.

1767: Francesco Ruggi, a composer.

1775: Guiseppi Baini, a composer.

1807: Napoléon Henri Reber, a French composer, was born in Mulhouse, Alsace (d. 1880)

1807: Miguel Hilarion Eslava y Elizondo, a composer.

1823: Pasqual Juan Emilio Arrieta y Corera, a composer.

1847: Guiseppe Giacosa, an Italian playwright, and librettist (Puccini's La Bohème; Madama Butterfly, and Tosca) was born in Colleretto Parella, Kingdom of Sardinia (now Italy) (d. 1906)

1879: Marie Joseph Canteloube de Malaret, a composer.

1885: Egon Joseph Wellesz, an Austrian-English composer, teacher, and musicologist, was born in Vienna, Austria (d. 1974)

1891: Ted Shawn, an American dancer/choreographer (Dance We Must)

1895: Shukichi Mitsukuri, a Japanese composer (10 Haikai de Basho) was born in Tokyo (d. 1971)

1895: J Delos Jewkes, an American light opera, vaudeville, choral (Mormon Tabernacle) film and television bass singer, and actor (Stars And Stripes Forever; The Music Man; The Andy Griffith Show) was born in Orangeville, Utah (d. 1984)

1902: Hilarion Rubio, a Filipino composer, was born in Bacoor, Cavite (d. 1985)

1908: Alexander Schneider, Vilna Lith, a violinist (Budapest String Quartet)

1908: Howard Ferguson, a composer.

1912: Carlos Don Byas, an American jazz saxophonist.

1912: Sir Georg Solti [György Stern], a Hungarian-British conductor, winner of 31 Grammy awards (Chicago Symphony, 1969-91) was born in Budapest, Hungary (d. 1997)

1916: Tomojirō Ikenouchi, a Japanese composer and educator, was born in Tokyo (d. 1991)

1917: John Birks "Dizzy" Gillespie, an American jazz trumpeter, a creator of bebop & modern jazz (A Night In Tunisia) was born in Cheraw, South Carolina (d. 1993)

1921: Jarmil Burghauser, a composer.

1921: Sir Malcolm Arnold, a British trumpeter, and classical and film score composer (The Bridge On The River Kwai) was born in Northampton, England (d. 2006)

1924: Celia Cruz, a Cuban singer, Queen of Salsa. (d. 2003)

1925: Charles "Doctor" Ross, an American blues singer and guitarist (The Harmonica Boss) was born in Tunica, Mississippi (d. 1993)

1926: Marga Richter, an American classical pianist, and composer (Landscapes of the Mind; Out of Shadows and Solitude) was born in Reedsburg, Wisconsin (d. 2020)

1927: Nadia Nerina was a South African dancer who was "one of the most gifted, versatile, and inspiring ballerinas of The Royal Ballet" during the 1950s and 1960s. She was known "for her technical virtuosity, lightness afoot, effortless-seeming jumps, and joyful charm onstage, especially in comedic roles." (Died 10/06/2008)

1935: (George) Derek Bell, a Northern Irish harpist, pianist, oboist, musicologist, and composer (The Chieftans; "Three Images of Ireland in Druid Times") was born in Belfast, Northern Ireland (d. 2002)

1937:  Norman Wright, an American bluegrass musician, singer, composer, leader, producer, and mixing engineer. He was born October 21, 1937, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Wright plays Guitar and Mandolin. (Del-Vikings).   

1940: A South African–British keyboard player, guitarist, and vocalist Manfred Mann who had the 1964 UK & US No.1 single 'Do Wah Diddy Diddy' and with Manfred Mann's Earth Band hits include covers of Bruce Springsteen's 'For You', 'Blinded by the Light' and 'Spirit in the Night'.  

1941: Steve Cropper, an American rock and soul guitarist, songwriter, and producer (Booker T & MGs; Otis Redding; The Blues Brothers) was born in Willow Springs, Missouri.  

1942: Elvin Bishop, an American rock guitarist, and songwriter (Fooled Around & Fell in Love) was born in Glendale, California.  

1943: Paula Kelly, an American dancer, and actress (Night Court - "Liz") was born in Jacksonville, Florida.  

1943: Ron Elliott, an American guitarist, and songwriter (The Beau Brummels - "Just A Little") was born in Healdsburg, California.  

1945: Kathy Young, is an American musician; she was a teen pop singer during the early 1960s, whose rendition of "A Thousand Stars", at age 15, rose to No. 3 on Billboard Hot 100.  

1946: Lee Loughnane, an American horn player, and songwriter (Chicago) was born in Elmwood Park, Illinois.   1946: Lux Interior [Erick Lee Purkhiser], an American punk rock singer (The Cramps) was born in Akron, Ohio (d. 2009)  

1946: Phil Ryan, a Welsh keyboardist, and composer (Man, Pete Brown) was born in Port Talbot, Wales (d. 2016)  

1946: Tetsu Yamauchi, a Japanese rock bass guitarist (Free; The Faces) was born in Fukuoka, Japan.         (Side Note: On This Day and Wikipedia agree Tetsu was born in 46', This Day has his DOB in 1947)  

1949: Shulamit Ran is an Israeli-American composer. She moved from Israel to New York City at 14, as a scholarship student at the Mannes College of Music. Her Symphony won her the Pulitzer Prize for Music. In this regard, she was the second woman to win the Pulitzer Prize for Music, the first being Ellen Taaffe Zwilich in 1983.  

1952: An American keyboardist and vocalist, Brent Mydland, best known for being in Grateful Dead from 1979 to 1990. His eleven-year tenure was longer than that of any other keyboardist in the band. He was found dead on the floor of his home on 26th July 1990 aged 38 from a drug overdose.  

1952: Patti Davis [Patricia Ann Reagan], a singer/actress/writer, Former U.S. President Ronald, and Nancy Reagans' daughter.  

1953: Charlotte Caffey, a former member of The Go- Go's, (1982 US No.2 single, 'We Got The Beat', 1982 UK No.47 single 'Our Lips Our Sealed').  

1954: Eric Faulkner, a Scottish singer and guitarist of the 1970s pop group, Bay City Rollers who had the 1975 UK No.1 single 'Bye Bye Baby' plus 11 other UK Top 20 singles and the 1976 US No.1 single 'Saturday Night'.  

1955: Richard Wayne Mullins was an American contemporary Christian music singer and songwriter best known for his worship songs "Awesome God" and "Sometimes by Step". Some of his albums were listed by CCM Magazine in their ranking of the 100 Greatest Albums in Christian Music, including A Liturgy, a Legacy, & a Ragamuffin Band at No. 3, The World As Best As I Remember It, Volume One at No. 7, and Winds of Heaven, Stuff of Earth at No. 31.  

1957: Julian Cope [Kevin Stapleton], a British pop musician (Eve's Volcano) was born in Deri, Monmouthshire, Wales.  

1957: Steve Lukather, an American rock singer, guitarist, arranger, producer (Toto - "Africa"; Ringo's All-Starr Band) was born in San Fernando Valley, California.  

1957: Attila The Stockbroker, a pop poet, worked with John Otway and TV Smith.  

1959: Rose McDowell, a singer, Strawberry Switchblade, (1984 UK No.5 single 'Since Yesterday').  

1964: Jon Carin, an American musician (Pink Floyd; The Who) was born in New York, New York  

1970: Tony Mortimer, a British pop singer, and songwriter (East 17 - "Stay Another Dy") was born in Stepney, London.  

1971: Astrella Leitch, a Celeste rocker, Donovan's daughter.  

1971: Nick Oliveri, American bassist, guitarist, a vocalist who has been a member of Kyuss, Queens of the Stone Age, Mondo Generator, and Dwarves.  

1972: Matthew Friedberger, an American musician (The Fiery Furnaces)  

1973: Lera Auerbach, a Russian-American pianist, composer, and poet, was born in Chelyabinsk, Russia.  

1973: Charles Daniel Lowell is an American pianist most known for being the pianist and keyboardist for Christian alternative folk rock group Jars of Clay.  

1976: Josh Ritter, an American singer-songwriter (Sermon On The Rocks) was born in Moscow, Idaho. 

1977: Matthew Ramsey, an American country music songwriter, guitarist, and vocalist (Old Dominion -"Break Up With Him"; "Snapback") was born in Buchanan, Virginia.  

1980: Brian Pittman, an American Christian rock bassist (Relient K) was born in Canton, Ohio.  

1983: Ninet Tayeb, commonly known only as Ninet, is an Israeli musician, singer-songwriter, composer, DJ, model, and actress. She is considered among the most famous people in the Israeli entertainment industry, and was labeled in 2015 as "one of the hottest new artists to break into the United States."  

1986: Christopher Uckermann, Mexican-Swedish actor, and singer in the Latin pop group RBD was born in Mexico City, Mexico.  

1992: 21 Savage [Shéyaa Bin Abraham-Joseph], a rapper, was born in London, England.  

1993: Kane Brown, an American country music singer-songwriter (Experiment) was born in Chattanooga, Tennessee.  

1995: Doja Cat, American singer, rapper, songwriter. Her second studio album, Hot Pink (2019), reached the top 10 of the US Billboard 200 and spawned the single ‘Say So’, which topped the Billboard Hot 100 chart.

Hopefully, until sometime tomorrow, take care and stay safe.   

MOHLovesAlaska

UncleBud
Chart Topper

@MOHLovesAlaska It must take you some time every day to compile. But I appreciate this daily post. 

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

I have missed seeing these, @MOHLovesAlaska! Always fun and informative. 😄

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

@UncleBud it takes an average of 2 hours to complete this post, but being single, I have the time to kill to do this post. I also want to thank you for your interest in this post. History has always been my favorite subject throughout all my years of school, college, and even in my adult life now. 

You take care and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska

@AlyssaPandora thank you, dear friend, I have also missed posting the last couple of weeks, but I hope I'm back posting on a regular basis once again. Thank you for your support as well as your interest in this post. Take care and stay safe.  

MOHLovesAlaska

Good Friday morning, This Day In The History Of Music, have a great Friday.

1868: Jacques Offenbach's opera "Genevieve de Brabant" premieres in NYC.

1881: The Boston Symphony Orchestra gave its inaugural concert on October 22, 1881, under Georg Henschel, who remained as conductor until 1884. For nearly twenty years, BSO concerts were held in the old Boston Music Hall.

1883: New York's original Metropolitan Opera House has its grand opening with a performance of the opera "Faust".

1922: Parsifal Place laid out in Bronx, NY, named after a knight in Wagner's opera.  

1930: The first broadcast performance by the new BBC Symphony Orchestra, under the baton of Adrian Boult, was on 22 October 1930, in a concert relayed from the Queen's Hall, London. The concert featured works by Wagner, Brahms, and Ravel, and Saint-Saens Cello Concerto in A minor, with soloist Guilhermina Suggia.

1959: Bob Merrill's musical "Take Me Along" opens at Shubert Theater, NYC; runs for 448 performances.

1964: The Who then known as The High Numbers, receive a letter from EMI Records, asking them for original material after their recent audition for the company.

1964: Sandie Shaw had her first UK No.1 single with the Burt Bacharach song '(There's) Always Some Thing There To Remind Me.

1966: The Supremes became the first female group to have a No.1 album on the US chart with 'The Supremes a Go Go', knocking The Beatles Revolver from the top of the charts.

1966: The Beach Boys ‘Good Vibrations’ made its debut on the US singles chart. Written by Brian Wilson and Mike Love, the track was recorded over six weeks in four different Los Angeles studios, at a cost of over $16,000. The recording engineer would later say that the last take sounded exactly like the first, six months earlier. The record would reach No.1 on the US charts in December 1966.

1969: American singer Tommy Edwards died after suffering a brain aneurysm in Henrico County, Virginia, at the age of 47. Had the 1958 US & UK No.1 single 'It's All In The Game'.

1969: Paul McCartney publicly denied rumors that he was dead. The most recent of many "clues" of this Death Hoax was the fact that he was the only barefoot Beatle on the newly released Abbey Road LP cover. The story was actually started as a prank by Fred La Bour, an arts writer for the student paper, The Michigan Daily at the University of Michigan.

1969: Led Zeppelin II was released on Atlantic Records in the UK. The Jimmy Page produced the album which was recorded over six months between four European and three American tours, peaked at No.1 in both the UK and US, going on to sell over 12 million copies in the US alone, (and spending 138 weeks on the UK chart). The album is now recognized by writers and music critics as one of the greatest and most influential rock albums ever recorded.

1975: "Me & Bessie" (Original, Musical, Broadway) opened in New York City on Oct 22, 1975, and played through Dec 5, 1976. (453 performances).

1978: "King of Hearts" opens at Minskoff Theater NYC for 48 performances.

1984: Paul McCartney releases the "Give My Regards to Broad Street" soundtrack.

1986:  Jane Carroll Dornacker was an American rock musician, actress, comedian, and traffic reporter. She gained fame as a comedian, actor, dancer, and as an associate and songwriter for the San Francisco rock band The Tubes; she also led her own band, Leila and the Snakes. Jane Dornacker was killed in a helicopter crash during a live traffic report for WNBC radio in New York. Listeners heard the terrifying voice of Dornacker screaming. She had survived a helicopter crash in April earlier in the same year.

1986: John Forster and Lee Holdridge's musical "Into the Light", starring Dean Jones opens at Neil Simon Theater, NYC; runs for 6 performances.

1987: Revival of John Kander and Fred Ebb's "Cabaret" opens at Imperial Theater, NYC; runs for 262 performances.

1988: Phil Collins started a two-week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with his version of 'Groovy Kind Of Love', his 6th US No.1. The song was also a hit for The Mindbenders, the group that backed Wayne Fontana in 1965.

1988: U2 scored their fourth UK No.1 album with the double set and film soundtrack 'Rattle And Hum', featuring their first UK No.1 single 'Desire'.

1988: Elton John sells out while performing in NYC, for a record 26th time.

1989: English folk singer, songwriter, poet, and record producer Ewan MacColl died aged 74. He wrote 'Dirty Old Town' and 'The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face', (became a No.1 hit for Roberta Flack in 1972). Acts including Planxty, The Dubliners, Elvis Presley, and Johnny Cash recorded his songs. He was the father of singer, songwriter Kirsty MacColl.

1990: Pearl Jam played their first-ever concert when they appeared at the Off Ramp in Seattle.

1993: Oasis signed a six-album deal with Creation Records for a £40,000 advance.

1994: "Philadelphia, Here I Come" closes at Criterion in NYC after 52 performances.

1995: "Swinging On a Star" opens at Music Box Theater in NYC for 97 performances.

1996: It was announced that "The Beatles were now bigger than The Beatles". The statement was based on sales so far this year, having sold 6,000,000 albums from their back catalog and a combined total of 13,000,000 copies of ‘The Beatles Anthology 1’ and ‘The Beatles Anthology 2’. With the release of ‘The Beatles Anthology 3’ a week away, it was anticipated that total Beatles album sales for 1996 would exceed 20 million. A poll showed 41 percent of sales were to teenagers who were not born when The Beatles officially called it quits in 1970.

1999: It was reported that Sinead O’Connor was attempting to buy the church where she was ordained into the Catholic sisterhood. The church was on the market for £70,000.

2000: George Michael paid £1.45m for the Steinway piano on which John Lennon wrote 'Imagine'. George said, "I know that when my fingers touch the keys of that Steinway, I will feel truly blessed. And parting with my money has never been much of a problem, just ask my accountant." The singer outbid Robbie Williams and The Oasis brothers.

2000: Pearl Jam appeared at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, California, celebrating the tenth anniversary of their first live performance as a band.

2003: Elliot Smith, a US singer-songwriter, committed suicide aged 34. A one-time member of Stranger Than Fiction, solo 1997 album 'Either/Or'.

2005: Waterloo by ABBA was voted the best song in the history of the Eurovision Song Contest. Viewers in 31 countries across Europe voted during a special show in Copenhagen to celebrate the annual event's 50th birthday.

2008: A homeless man claimed a £2,000 reward by returning a waxwork head of ex-Beatle Sir Paul McCartney which had been left on a train. Anthony Silva found the item in a bin at the Reading station after auctioneer Joby Carter left it under a seat at Maidenhead station. The homeless man thought it was a Halloween mask and had been using it as a pillow before realizing what it was. The wax model sold the following week for £5,500 at auction.

2012: Red is the fourth studio album by American singer-songwriter Taylor Swift. It was released on October 22, 2012, through Big Machine Records, as the follow-up to her commercially successful 2010 album Speak Now.

2014: Kasabian won best live act and best act in the world at the Q Awards held in London, England. Former Dr. Feelgood guitarist Wilko Johnson was named a Q Icon, Elbow's The Take-Off and Landing of Everything was named best album, Paolo Nutini's Iron Sky received the best track award, while 22-year-old soul singer Sam Smith was named best new act.

2017: An Australian musician, songwriter, and record producer George Young died aged 70. Young, the brother of AC/DC's Angus and Malcolm Young, was a member of the Easybeats and co-wrote the band's 1966 hit 'Friday On My Mind'. Born in Scotland in 1946, he migrated to Australia with his family as a teenager, forming The Easybeats after he met Dutch-born artist Harry Vanda in Sydney. After the band broke up in 1969, Vanda and Young embarked on a songwriting career that saw the pair produce dozens of hits. They became two of Australia's best-known songwriters, with Young's work including 'Love Is In The Air' and 'Yesterday's Hero' both hits for John Paul Young.

1686: Georg Balthasar Schott, a German composer, was born in Schönau, near Eisenach, Thuringia, Germany (d. 1736)

1698: Nicola Logroscino, an Italian composer, was born in Bitonto, Bari, Italy (d. 1765)

1737: Vincenzo Manfredini, an Italian harpsichordist, composer, and music theorist, was born in Pistoia, Grand Duchy of Tuscany (now Italy) (d. 1799)

1752: Ambrogio Minoja, an Italian classical composer, was born in Ospedaletto Lodigiano, Lodi, Italy (d. 1825)

1761: Johann Christian Gottlob Eidenbenz, a German composer, was born in Owen, Kirchheim Unter Teck, Germany (d. 1799)

1765: Daniel Steibelt, a German pianist and composer, was born in Berlin (d. 1823)

1809: Federico Ricci, an Italian composer, was born in Naples, Italy (d. 1877)

1811: Franz Liszt, a Hungarian romantic composer and virtuoso pianist (Faust Symphony) was born in Raiding, Hungary (d. 1886)

1826: Guglielmo Quarenghi, an Italian composer and cellist, was born in Casalmaggiore, Italy (d. 1882)

1832: August Labitzky, a Bohemian composer, was born in Bečov nad Teplou, Czechia (d. 1903)

1832: Leopold Damrosch, a German-American composer, and conductor (New York Oratorio Society; New York Symphony) was born in Poznań, Kingdom of Prussia (d. 1885)

1838: Carl Fuchs, a German composer, and musician was born in Potsdam (d. 1922)

1883: Victor Jacobi was a Hungarian operetta composer. He studied at the Zeneakadémia in Budapest at the same time as the noted Hungarian composers Imre Kálmán and Albert Szirmai. (Died 1921)

1885: Giovanni Martinelli, an Italian operatic spinto tenor singer (New York Metropolitan Opera, 1913-45), was born in Montagnana, Italy.

1885: Lothar Windsperger, a German composer and music publisher, was born in Ampfing, Bavaria, Germany (d. 1935)

1891: Fidelio Friedrich Finke, a Bohemian German composer, was born in Josefsthal, Austria-Hungary (d. 1968)

1894: Mei Lan (22 October 1894 – 8 August 1961), better known by his stage name Mei Lanfang, was a notable Peking opera artist in modern Chinese theater. Mei was known as "Queen of Peking Opera".

1898: Marcel Mihalovici, composer, Marcel Mihalovici was a French composer born in Romania. He was discovered by George Enescu in Bucharest. He moved to Paris in 1919 to study under Vincent d'Indy. His works include Sonata number 1 for violin and piano, Mélusine opera, his 1st string quartet, 2nd string quartet, Sonata number 2 for violin and piano, Sonata for violin and cello, Phèdre Opera, Étude in two parts for piano and instrumental ensemble, and Esercizio per archi. Many of his piano works were first performed by his wife, the concert pianist Monique Haas. (Died 1985)

1904: Paul Arma, a Hungarian-French composer, was born in Budapest (d. 1987)

1905: Joseph Kosma, a composer, Joseph Kosma was born in Budapest. He took an interest in music at a very young age, writing an opera called "Noel Dans Les Tranchées" as a teenager. One of his greatest loves in Budapest was the music of Bela Bartok. (Died 1969)

1906: Cornelis L "Kees" van Baaren, a Dutch composer (Willem Pijper)

1913: Patricia "Boots" Mallory, an American dancer and actress (Handle With Care) was born in New Orleans, Louisiana (d. 1958)

1925: Dory Previn [Dorothy Veronica Langan], a singer-songwriter (Mythical Kings and Iguanas) was born in Woodbridge, New Jersey, (d. 2012)

1928: Clare Fischer, an American musician, composer, and arranger, was born in Durand, Michigan (d. 2012)

1929: Giorgio Gaslini, an Italian jazz pianist and composer, was born in Milan, Italy (d. 2014)

1931: Hikaru Hayashi, a Japanese pianist, conductor, and composer (Onibaba) was born in Tokyo (d. 2012)

1934: Donald McIntyre, a Bass-Baritone (Wotan-Das Rheingold) was born in Auckland, New Zealand

1937: Tadeáš Salva, a Slovak composer, was born in Lúčky, Slovakia (d. 1997)

1937: Manos Loïzos, a Greek composer (Ta Tragoudia Mas) and well known leftist and critic of the Greek military junta, was born in Alexandria, Kingdom of Egypt (d. 1982)

1939:  Ray Jones, an early friend of John Lennon, played bass for the Dakotas, with frontman Billy J. Kramer. A rift with Brian Epstein ended his career in rock.

1941: Valeri Kitka, a Ukrainian classical composer (Frescoes of St. Sofia Cathedral of Kiev) and educator, was born in Volodymyrivka, Ukrainian SSR, Soviet Union (now Ukraine)

1942: Annette Funicello, an American actress (Mickey Mouse Club; Beach Party movies) and singer ("Tall Paul"; "O Dio Mio") was born in Utica, New York, (d. 2013)

1942: Robin John Maconie, a New Zealand pianist, electro-acoustic film and concert composer, and musicologist (Stockhausen) was born in Auckland, New Zealand.

1942: Bobby Fuller singer, The Bobby Fuller Four. (1966 US No.9 single 'I Fought The Law' written by Sonny Curtis of Buddy Holly's Crickets). Fuller died on 18th July 1966 mysteriously from gasoline asphyxiation, while parked in a car outside his apartment.

1943: Paul Zukofsky, an American violinist and conductor (Cappricio) was born in Brooklyn, New York (d. 2017)

1943: Robert Long [Leverman], a Dutch singer/actor (Vroeger Kon Je Lachen)

1945: American guitarist, vocalist, and songwriter Leslie West with Mountain, 1970 US No.21 single 'Mississippi Queen', and a member of West Bruce & Laing. In 2011, due to complications from diabetes, West's right leg had to be amputated. He died on 22 Dec 2020 at age 75 after suffering a heart attack in his home near Daytona, Florida.

1946: Eddie Brigati, with an American rock band, The Rascals (initially known as The Young Rascals) who had the US No.1 hits 'Good Lovin'' (1966), 'Groovin'' (1967), and 'People Got to Be Free' (1968).

1947: Neil Rolnick, an American electronic music composer, and educator (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI)- iEAR Studios, 1981-2013) was born in Dallas, Texas. 

1949: Stiv Bators [Steven Bator], an American punk rock singer and guitarist (The Dead Boys) was born in Youngstown, Ohio (d. 1990)

1952: Jeff Goldblum studied acting with Sanford Meisner in New York before embarking on a big-screen career. He has starred in several dozen films, with prominent roles in works like The Fly, Jurassic Park, Independence Day, and Morning Glory. Goldblum is also a noted stage and television actor, having been part of the cast of Law & Order: Criminal Intent. His more recent big-budget film work includes 2017's Thor: Ragnorak and Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018). Many people don't know this about Jeff Goldblum, he is a noted jazz pianist, having performed as a solo artist and with the Mildred Snitzer Orchestra.  

1956: Stiv Bators, vocals, Dead Boys, Wanderers, Lords Of The New Church.  

1958: Bobby Blotzer, an American rock drummer (Ratt, "Round & Round") was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.  

1959: Marc Shaiman, an American film and Broadway composer (When Harry Met Sally; Hairspray) was born in Newark, New Jersey.  

1960: Darryl Jenifer, an American bassist (Bad Brains) was born in Washington, D.C.  

1964: TobyMac [Kevin McKeehan], an American Christian-hip-hop rapper, singer, and songwriter (DC Talk), was born in Fairfax, Virginia.  

1965: John Wesley Harding [Wesley Stace], a British singer-songwriter ("Here Comes The Groom") and novelist (Wonderkid) was born in Hastings, East Sussex, England.  

1967: Rita Guerra, a Portuguese singer-songwriter (Eurovision, 2003) was born in Lisbon, Portugal.  

1968: Shelby Lynne [Moorer], an American country singer ("If I Could Bottle This Up") was born in Quantico, Virginia.  

1968: Shaggy, (Orville Richard Burrell), 1993 UK No.1 single 'Oh Carolina', 2001 UK & US No.1 single 'It Wasn't Me', 2001 UK & US No.1 album 'Hotshot').  

1968: An American singer, songwriter, Shelby Lynne, (1999 album 'I Am Shelby Lynne') 2001 Grammy Award winner for Best Newcomer.  

1974: Tim Kinsella, an American musician (Cap'n Jazz; Owls) and visual artist, was born in Chicago, Illinois.  

1976: Jon Foreman, lead singer, guitarist, songwriter, and co-founder of Switchfoot. Their 2014 album Fading West reached No.6 on the US album chart.  

1980: Garrett Tierney, an American musician (Brand New)  

1982: Daniel M. Johnson "The Untouchable DJ Drastic", an American DJ, music industry professional, and radio presenter.  

1983: Plan B, an English rapper, singer-songwriter, actor, and film director, Plan B, (was born Benjamin Paul Ballance-Drew). Plan B first emerged as a hip hop artist releasing his critically acclaimed debut album 'Who Needs Actions When You Got Words' in 2006.

1985: Zachary Walker Hanson, guitar, keyboards, and vocals with Hanson, who had the 1997 UK & US No.1 single 'MMMbop'. Hanson has sold over 16 million records worldwide and has had 8 top 40 albums and 6 top 40 singles in the US.

1998: Roddy Ricch American rapper, singer, and songwriter. His debut studio album Please Excuse Me for Being Antisocial (2019) debuted atop the Billboard 200. It spawned the No.1 single ‘The Box’.

Hopefully, we can do this again sometime tomorrow, take care and stay safe.

MOHLovesAlaska

UncleBud
Chart Topper

@MOHLovesAlaska When I was reading this and saw that on this day in 1966 the Beach Boys released "Good Vibrations" that made me think I need to create me a Good Vibrations station. I was born in '66 and I don't even have a 60's based station. 

Good Saturday evening, This Day In The History Of Music. Have a great weekend.

1890: "On October 23, 1890, Prince Igor was produced, at last, rehearsed fairly well by K. A. Kuchera, as Nápravník had declined the honor of conducting Borodin's opera.  (St Petersburg)

1919: Romberg & Atteridge's musical "Passing Show" premieres in NYC.

1921: Leos Janacek's opera "Kat'a Kabanova" premieres in Brno.

1942: All 12 passengers and crewmen aboard an American Airlines DC-3 airliner were killed when it is struck by a U.S. Army Air Forces bomber near Palm Springs, California. Amongst the victims is composer Ralph Rainger ("Thanks for the Memory")

1961: "Kwamina" opens at 54th St Theater in NYC for 32 performances.

1961: Dion started a two-week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Runaround Sue', it reached No.11 in the UK. 1962: 12-year-old Little Stevie Wonder recorded his first single for Motown Records, 'Thank You For Loving Me All The Way' backed by the Funk Brothers.

1963: Bob Dylan recorded 'The Times They Are A-Changin' at Columbia Recording Studios in New York City. Dylan wrote the song as a deliberate attempt to create an anthem of change for the time, influenced by Irish and Scottish ballads. In January 1984, a young Steve Jobs would recite the second verse of 'The Times They Are a-Changin' during his opening of the 1984 Annual Apple Shareholders Meeting, where he famously unveiled the Macintosh computer for the first time.

1963: The Beatles completed the final session for their second album 'With the Beatles' recording 'I Wanna Be Your Man.' The group then drove to London airport for a flight to Stockholm, Sweden to start their first foreign tour. The Fab four were met at Stockholm airport by hundreds of girl fans that had taken the day of school.

1963: The Everly Brothers, Little Richard, Bo Diddley, Mickie Most, The Rolling Stones, Julie Grant, and The Flintstones all appeared at Odeon Theatre, Nottingham, England.

1964: All four members of the US band Buddy and the Kings were killed when they hired a Cessna Skyhawk to take them to a gig in Harris County. Piloted by the band's drummer Bill Daniels, the plane crashed nose-first killing all on board. Singer with the group Harold Box had replaced Buddy Holly in The Crickets after his death in a plane crash. He sang lead vocals on 'Peggy Sue Got Married.' The Great Gig In The Sky

1966: The Jimi Hendrix Experience recorded their first single 'Hey Joe', at De Lane Lea studios in London. The earliest known commercial recording of the song is the late-1965 single by the Los Angeles garage band The Leaves; the band then re-recorded the track and released it in 1966 as a follow-up single which became a hit.

1967: "Henry, Sweet Henry" opens at The Palace Theater in NYC for 80 performances.

1968: "Maggie Flynn" opens at The ANTA Theater in NYC for 82 performances.

1969: "Jimmy" opens at Winter Garden Theater in NYC for 84 performances.

1972: "Pippin" opens at Imperial Theater in NYC for 1944 performances. Pippin (musical) Bob Fosse, who directed the original Broadway production, also contributed to the libretto. The musical uses the premise of a mysterious performance troupe, led by a Leading Player, to tell the story of Pippin, a young prince in his search for meaning and significance.

1972: "I'm Still in Love with You" is the fifth studio album by the American gospel and soul singer Al Green, released on October 23, 1972, on Hi Records. Recording sessions took place during 1972. The album was produced solely by Willie Mitchell. The album peaked at number four on the US Billboard 200 and number one on the US Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums and produced four singles: "Love and Happiness" which was rated ninety-eight on Rolling Stones' 500 Greatest Songs of All Time as well as "I'm Still in Love with You" and "Look What You Done for Me" which were top-five hits on the US Pop Chart.

1976: The Jam played an afternoon show in Soho Market, London, England, and in the evening, The Clash appeared at The ICA in London.

1976: Chicago started a two-week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'If You Leave Me Now. It was the group's 18th Top 40 and first US No.1, also a No.1 in the UK. It went on to win a Grammy Award for Best Pop Vocal Performance.

1976: Led Zeppelin made their US television debut on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, they performed ‘Black Dog’ and ‘Dazed And Confused’.

1978: Sid Vicious attempts suicide while at Riker’s Detention Center in New York City following the fatal stabbing of his girlfriend Nancy Spungen.

1980: "Tintypes" opens at John Golden Theater NYC for 93 performances.

1980: Mark David Chapman quit his security job and signed out for the last time. Instead of the usual "Chappy", he wrote "John Lennon". Chapman would murder Lennon on December 8th of this same year outside his New York City home.

1982: Culture Club was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Do You Really Want To Hurt Me, the group's first chart-topper and the first of 12 UK Top 40 hits. The song became a major hit after their memorable debut performance on Top Of The Pops when they stood in for Shakin' Stevens who was ill and not able to appear.

1989:  Best of Dark Horse 1976–1989 is a compilation album by English musician George Harrison, released in October 1989. His second compilation, after the Capitol / EMI collection The Best of George Harrison (1976), contains songs from Harrison's releases on his Dark Horse record label between 1976 and 1987.

1989: Nirvana played their first-ever European show when they appeared at Newcastle's Riverside Club in North East England. It was the first night of a 36 date European tour for the group who were sharing the bill with Tad.

1991: "Les Miserables" opens at Mogador Theatre, Paris.

1993: Meat Loaf had his first UK No.1 with 'I'd Do Anything For Love' (But I Won't Do That). It stayed at No.1 for seven weeks. A No.1 in twenty-eight countries and gave Meat Loaf his first US No.1 hit.

1993: Take That scored their first UK No.1 album with their second release 'Everything Changes.' The album which was nominated for the 1994 Mercury Prize became the third best-selling album of 1993 in the UK.

1995: Def Leppard gave themselves a place in the Guinness Book Of World Records, by playing three gigs on three continents in 24 hours. Tangier, London, and Vancouver.

1997: (30 reviews) Opening: October 23, 1997 Closing: January 04, 1998, # Performances: 85: Theatres: Royale Theatre (New York, NY)

1998: Baby One More Time" was released as Spears's debut single on September 30, 1998, by Jive Records, when she was only 16 years old. The singer has named "...Baby One More Time" as one of her favorite songs from her entire career, naming "Toxic" and "He About to Lose Me" as the other two.

1999: The wife of Los Lobos singer Sandra Ann-Rosas disappeared. Police charged her half-brother Gabriel Gomez with the kidnapping and murder.

2002: Kanye West was involved in a car crash after he fell asleep at the wheel while driving home from a recording studio in West Hollywood. No other cars were involved in the incident which left West with his jaw fractured in three places.

2002: A federal judge in St. Louis dismissed a lawsuit against Chuck Berry by Johnnie Johnson, a piano player and former collaborator who wanted royalties for more than 30 songs written between 1955 and 1966. The songs in question included ‘No Particular Place To Go’, ‘Roll Over Beethoven’, and ‘Sweet Little Sixteen’. Johnson's lawsuit argued that he and Berry were co-writers on many of the songs, but because Berry copyrighted them in his name alone, Johnson got none of the royalties. The judge ruled that too many years had passed to bring about a royalties suit.

2005: Arctic Monkeys scored their first UK No.1 single with 'I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor', the Sheffield band's debut single.

2006: Amy Winehouse released her "signature song" 'Rehab' as a single, taken from her second studio album, Back to Black. The lyrics are autobiographical and talk about Winehouse's refusal one time to enter a rehabilitation clinic. It won three Grammy Awards, including Record of the Year, Song of the Year, and Best Female Pop Vocal Performance, and also won an Ivor Novello Award for Best Contemporary Song.

2006: Beyonce released the single “Irreplaceable” in 2006. It was named the Soul Train Music Awards Best R&B/Soul Single 2007 and the Billboard Song of the Year in 2007.  

2006: "The Black Parade" 3rd studio album by My Chemical Romance is released. (Source is On This Day) (This source is from Wikipedia)The Black Parade is the third studio album by the American rock band My Chemical Romance. Released in Europe on October 20, 2006, through Reprise Records, it was produced by the band with Rob Cavallo, known for having produced multiple albums for the Goo Goo Dolls and Green Day. It is a rock opera centering on a dying character with cancer known as "The Patient". The album tells the story of his apparent death, experiences in the afterlife, and subsequent reflections on his life. It is the band's only studio album to feature drummer Bob Bryar before his departure in 2010. (Side Note: On This Day dates the release of "The Black Parade" album this day in 2006, Wikipedia dates the release 10/20/2006, and This Day In Music makes no mention of the album.)  

2007: Rapper Foxy Brown was given 11 weeks in solitary confinement after fighting with another inmate in prison. She was also said to have been abusive to guards and refused to take a random drug test. Brown was serving a year in jail for violating her probation after a fight she had in a New York nail salon.  

2007: Illegal Downloads, British and Dutch police shut down a "widely-used" source of illegally downloaded music after raids in Teesside and Amsterdam as part of an Interpol investigation into the members-only website OiNK. The UK-run site had leaked 60 major pre-release albums this year alone. 

2007: Raising Sand is a Grammy-award-winning collaboration album by rock singer Robert Plant and bluegrass-country singer Alison Krauss. It was released on October 23, 2007, by Rounder Records. Raising Sand won Album of the Year at the 2008 Americana Music Honors & Awards and at the 2009 Grammy Awards.  

2008: Beyonce went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'If I Were A Boy, the singer's fourth UK No.1 hit. Taken from her third solo album, I Am Sasha Fierce.  

2012: It was reported that Bee Gees star Robin Gibb, who died last May at the age of 62, left an estate worth £93 million, ($148 million).  

2014: Alvin Stardust died after a short illness. His death came just weeks before he was due to release his first album after 30 years. He had recently been diagnosed with metastatic prostate cancer. The UK singer first performed under the name of Shane Fenton.  

2015: Adele released 'Hello' as the lead track from her third studio album, 25. The music video for the song broke the Vevo Record by achieving over 27.7 million views within 24-hours and entered the top of the UK Singles Chart with 333,000 combined sales, of which 259,000 were downloads, making it the biggest-selling No.1 single on the UK chart in three years.  

2015: Jamie Lawson, the first act signed to Ed Sheeran's Gingerbread Man label, topped the UK album chart with his self-titled new record. Lawson had released his first album 12 years ago.  

2016: English singer-songwriter and television personality Pete Burns died following a sudden cardiac arrest. He was a member of the Mystery Girls (with Pete Wylie and Julian Cope), and then Dead Or Alive who scored the 1985 UK No.1 single 'You Spin Me Round, Like A Record'.  

2018: Freddie Mercury biofilm "Bohemian Rhapsody" directed by Bryan Singer, starring Rami Malek (Best Actor Academy Awards 2019) premieres in London.  

2020: Bruce Springsteen released a new studio album with the E Street Band entitled ‘Letter To You’ on Friday 23rd October 2020 via Columbia Records. The Boss’s 20th studio album was recorded completely live with the E Street Band over just five days at Springsteen’s home studio in New Jersey.  

Born On This Day In the Music World:  

1654: Johann Bernhard Staudt, an Austrian Jesuit composer, was born in Vienna, Austria (d. 1712)  

1773: Pietro Generali, an Italian composer, was born in Masserano, Kingdom of Sardinia (d. 1832  

1794: Joseph Panny, an Austrian violinist, and composer was born in Kollmitzberg, Austria (d. 1838)  

1801: (Gustav) Albert Lortzing, a German Spieloper composer and actor (Zar und Zimmerman), was born in Berlin, Germany (d. 1851)  

1819: Isac Baker Woodbury, an American composer, and musicologist (The Dulcimer: Or the New York Collection of Sacred Music), was born in Beverly, Massachusetts, (d. 1858)  

1846: Alexander Arkhangelsky, a Russian composer, was born in Penza, Russian Empire (d. 1924)  

1851: Guillaume Couture, a Canadian choir conductor, composer, and teacher, was born In Montreal, Quebec (d. 1915)  

1869: Jacobus H "Koos" Speenhoff, a Dutch cabaret singer, was born in Kralingen, Holland (d. 1945)  

1893: Jean Absil, a Belgian organist and composer (Benedictions; Peau d'Ane), was born in Bonsecours; (d. 1974)  

1902: Otmar Nussio, a Swiss conductor and composer (Boccaccio Suite), was born in Grossetto, Italy; (d. 1990)  

1902: Otto J. Gombosi, a Hungarian-American musicologist, was born in Budapest, Hungary (d. 1955)  

1903: Milford Dolliole, an American pioneer jazz drummer, was born in New Orleans, Louisiana (d. 1994)  

1905: Alexander Shamil'yevich Melik-Pashayev, a Georgian conductor and composer (Bol’shoy Theatre, 1931-62), was born in Tbilisi (d. 1964)  

1906: Miriam Gideon, an American composer, was born in Greeley, Colorado (d. 1996)  

1919: Katie Lee, an American folk singer, environmentalist, and author (Colorado River Songs) was born in Aledo, Illinois (d. 2017)  

1921: İlhan Usmanbaş, a Turkish contemporary classical composer, was born in Constantinople (now İstanbul), Turkey.  

1921: Denise Duval, a French soprano (music of Francis Poulenc), was born in Paris (d. 2016)  

1923: Ned Rorem, an American composer and author (Sky Music), was born in Richmond, Indiana.  

1925: Manos Hadjidakis, a Greek composer and conductor (Never on Sunday), born in Xanthi, Greece (d. 1994)  

1927: William "Sonny" Criss, an American bebop jazz saxophonist (Jazz U.S.A.), was born in Memphis, Tennessee (d. 1977)  

1928: Alexander Tanev, a Bulgarian composer, was born in Budapest, Hungary (d. 1996)  

1928: Patrick Peter Sacco, an American composer, was born in Albion, New York (d. 2000)  

1931: Diana Dors [Fluck], a British actress and singer (Berserk!, Steaming), was born in Swindon, Wiltshire (d. 1984)  

1935: Jimmy Dale, a British-Canadian pianist and orchestra leader (The Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour), was born in London, England (d. 2017)  

1935: Zbigniew Rudzinski, a Polish composer (Mannequins), was born in Czechowice, Poland.  

1937: Yvonne Staples, an American R&B singer (The Staple Singers), was born in Chicago, Illinois (d. 2018)  

1939: Charlie Foxx, an American soul songwriter, guitarist, and singer (Mockingbird), was born in Greensboro, North Carolina (d. 1998)  

1940: Ellie Greenwich, an American singer-songwriter (Da Doo Ron Ron, Leader of the Pack), was born in Brooklyn, New York (d. 2009)  

1940: English musician Freddie Marsden who with Gerry And The Pacemakers had the 1963 UK No.1 single 'How Do You Do It and the 1965 US No.6 single, 'Ferry Cross The Mersey'. In common with The Beatles, they came from Liverpool, were managed by Brian Epstein, and were recorded by George Martin.  

1941:Alfred Gregory Ridley (23 October 1941 – 19 November 2003) was an English rock bassist and a founding member of Humble Pie. (Side Note: On This Day has his DOB in 1947, This Day In Music has his DOB in 1943, Wikipedia has his DOB in 1941, and as you can see I went with Wikipedia).

1945: Kim Larsen, a Danish rock singer (In the Middle of the Night), was born in Copenhagen (d. 2018)  

1946: Gerda Havertong, a Surinam-Dutch singer and actress (Sesame St), was born in Paramaribo, Suriname.  

1949: Würzel [Michael Burston], a British musician (Motörhead), was born in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England (d. 2011)  

1949: Michael Burston, Motorhead, (1980 UK No.15 single 'Ace Of Spades').  

1950: Harry Sacksioni, a Dutch guitarist (Around the Corner)  

1951: Charly García, an Argentine singer (Sui Generis, Serú Girán), was born in Buenos Aires, Argentina.  

1952: Pierre Moerlen, a French rock-jazz fusion drummer and percussionist (Gong: Mike Oldfield), was born in Colmar, France (d. 2005)  

1953: Pauline Black [Belinda Magnus], an English ska singer (Selecter -"On My Radio"), was born in Romford, East London.  

1955: Toshio Hosokawa, a Japanese composer (Circulating Ocean), was born in Hiroshima Japan.  

1956: Dwight Yoakam, country singer, actor, and film director, who is most famous for his pioneering country music which has sold over 25 million records with 5 Billboard No.1 Albums, 12 Gold Albums, and 9 Platinum Albums. Yoakam is the most frequent musical guest in the history of The Tonight Show and has also starred in many films, most notably in critically acclaimed performances as an ill-tempered, abusive, live-in boyfriend in Sling Blade.  

1957: Kelly Marie, a singer who had the 1980 UK No.1 single 'Feels like I'm In Love', which was written by Ray Dorset of Mungo Jerry.  

1958: Jonathan Wolff, an American musician and TV theme composer (Seinfeld, Will & Grace), was born in Louisville, Kentucky.  

1959: Weird Al Yankovic, minor US hits parodying songs such as 'Eat It', Michael Jackson's 'Beat it' and 'Like A Surgeon', ( Madonna's 'Like A Virgin').  

1964: Roberto Trujillo, bassist, Suicidal Tendencies, Infectious Grooves, Black Label Society, Jerry Cantrell, and Ozzy Osbourne's band before joining Metallica in 2003.  

1967: Dale Crover is an American rock musician. Crover is best known as the drummer for Melvins and has also been the drummer for Men of Porn, Shrinebuilder, Crystal Fairy, and, for a brief time, Nirvana. He is also a guitarist and vocalist for Altamont. He has toured with Fantômas, Off!, and Redd Kross. In 2016, Rolling Stone listed him as the 69th greatest drummer of all time.  

1972: Richard McNamara, guitarist from English alternative rock band Embrace, had the 2006 UK No. 2 single ‘Natures Law’, the 2006 UK No.1 album This New Day, and two other UK No.1 albums.

1975: Jessicka [Jessica Fodera], an American goth-rock, alt-pop singer-songwriter, and artist, was born in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

1985: Miguel [Pimentel], an American R&B singer (Kaleidoscope Dream), was born in San Pedro, California.

1987: Faye [Hamlin], a Swedish pop singer (Play), was born in Stockholm Sweden.

1987: Seo In-Guk, a South Korean singer-songwriter and actor (The Master's Sun) was born in Ulsan, South Korea.

1990: Stevie Brock, an American pop singer, was born in Dayton, Ohio.

Hopefully, I will be back on Monday. Have a great weekend. Take care and stay safe.

MOHLovesAlaska

Suge
Diamond in the Rough

Reminds me of Marylan Manson kill 4 me

Gina Suge V.

Good Monday morning, and afternoon. "This Day In The History Of Music". Have a great Monday.

1577: Pope Gregory XIII asks renewal of ecclesiastical hymns.

1875: The first performance of the Piano Concerto No. 1 by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky is given in Boston, Massachusetts with Hans von Bülow as soloist.

1885: The Symphony No. 4 in E minor, Op. 98 by Johannes Brahms is the last of his symphonies. Brahms began working on the piece in Mürzzuschlag, then in the Austro-Hungarian Empire, in 1884, just a year after completing his Symphony No. 3. It was premiered on October 25, 1885.  

1938: The Archbishop of Dubuque, Francis J. L. Beckman, denounces Swing music as "a degenerated musical system... turned loose to gnaw away at the moral fiber of young people", warning that it leads down a "primrose path to hell".  

1940: Duke, Latouche & Felter's musical premieres in NYC.  

1947: "Under the Counter" closes at Shubert Theater NYC after 27 performances.  

1953: The Symphony No. 10 in E minor, Op. 93 by Dmitri Shostakovich was premiered by the Leningrad Philharmonic Orchestra under Yevgeny Mravinsky on 17 December 1953, following the death of Joseph Stalin in March of that year. It is not clear when it was written: according to the composer's letters composition was between July and October 1953, but Tatiana Nikolayeva stated that it was completed in 1951. Sketches for some of the material date from 1946. The theme was made up of the violence and brutality they suffered under Stalin.   

1958: Cliff Richard made his British radio debut on the BBC's 'Saturday Club.' The show had started life as Saturday "Skiffle" club in 1957 hosted by Brian Matthew and was broadcast from 10 am to 12 noon Saturday mornings on the BBC Light Programme.  

1963: The Beatles kicked off their first tour of Sweden by playing two shows at Nya Aulan, Sundstavagen, Karlstad, Sweden. The local pop reviewer was not impressed, saying The Beatles should be grateful to their screaming fans for drowning out the group's terrible performance, adding that The Beatles "were of no musical importance whatsoever and that their local support group, The Phantoms, decidedly outshone them."  

1964: The Ed Sullivan Show, The Rolling Stones appeared for the first time on The Ed Sullivan Show from New York, performing ‘Around And Around’ and ‘Time Is On My Side. A riot broke out in the studio, prompting Sullivan’s infamous quote, ‘I promise you they’ll never be back on our show again.’ The Rolling Stones went on to make a further five appearances on Sullivan’s show between 1965 and 1969.  

1964: "Get Off of My Cloud" is a song by the English rock band the Rolling Stones. It was written by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards for a single to follow the successful "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction". Recorded in Hollywood, California, in early September 1965, the song was released in September in the United States and October in the United Kingdom.   

1966: On 25 October 1966 the Jimi Hendrix Experience played their first UK gig as a private showcase at Scotch of St. James. The club was also where Paul McCartney first met Stevie Wonder, after the latter's live performance at the club on 3 February 1966. During its heyday in the mid-1960s, bands such as The Gass were employed as the house band.  

1966: Aged 7 months old, Jeff Healey had his right eye surgical removed (and subsequently his left eye, 4 months later), and replaced with artificial ones, necessitated by a form of cancer of the eyes called retinoblastoma. Three years later Healey was given his first guitar by his father. At the age of 13, the Canadian guitarist formed his first band, Blue Direction.  

1968: Led Zeppelin played a gig at Surrey University, England. Although there are unconfirmed reports of earlier shows, this appears to be the band's first gig with their new name after initially performing as The New Yardbirds. In 2003 a poster for the Surrey gig (billing the group like The New Yardbirds) sold at auction for £2,400.  

1968: The double album 'Electric Ladyland' by The Jimi Hendrix Experience was released. It was also made available as two albums with changed artwork after complaints about the naked women who were pictured on the sleeve. The female models were each paid £5 for the photoshoot and another £5 if they posed completely naked.  

1968: Yoko Ono announces she is having John Lennon's baby; she later suffers a miscarriage.  

1969: 'Sugar Sugar' by The Archies was at No.1 on the UK singles chart. It stayed at the top for eight weeks, and was also No.1 in the US, selling over six million copies worldwide. The Archies were a rock group based on comic book characters.  

1970: President Nixon speaking at a US radio conference, President Nixon asked programmers to ban all songs containing drug references.  

1974: Dmitri Shostakovich's 15th String Quartet premieres in Leningrad.

1974: Wings release single "Junior's Farm". (Side Note: On This Day states the release was on this day in 1974, according to US single release: Junior's Farm by Paul McCartney and Wings (beatlesbible.com)  Paul McCartney and Wings’ single ‘Junior’s Farm’ was released in the United States on 4 November 1974, with ‘Sally G’ on the b-side. The single reached number three on the US Billboard Hot 100, and four on the Cash Box Top 100).  

1975: Art Garfunkel was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with his version of 'I Only Have Eyes For You.' Written in 1934 for the film Dames the song was a No.2 hit for Ben Selvin in 1934 and most notably a hit for The Flamingos in 1959.  

1980: Barbra Streisand scored her fourth US No.1 album with 'Guilty.' Also on this day, Streisand started a three-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with a song written by The Bee Gees 'Woman In Love', the singers only UK No.1.  

1985: Actor and singer Gary Holton died of a drug overdose. Member of The Heavy Metal Kids, and one-half of the duo Casino Steel. Holton appeared in the film Quadrophenia and UK TV's Auf Wiedersehen Pet.  

1985: R.E.M. The Smiths and Tom Waits all appeared on the music TV show The Tube broadcast live from Tyne Tree Television Studios, Newcastle upon Tyne, England.  

1986: Bon Jovi went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'Slippery When Wet'. Featuring two US No.1 singles, 'You Give Love A Bad Name' and 'Livin' On A Prayer'. The album went on to sell over 8 million copies worldwide.  

1986: For the first time in the history of the Billboard Hot 100, the top three spots were held by female solo acts. Cyndi Lauper's 'True Colors' held down the No.1 position, followed by Tina Turner's 'Typical Male' at No.2 and Janet Jackson's 'When I Think Of You' at No.3.  

1989: Nirvana and Tad appeared at the Duchess Of York, Leeds, England. The two acts were on the third night of their debut European tour.  

1990: "Les Miserables" opens again at Forrest Theatre, Philadelphia.  

1992: "Dancing at Lughnasa" closes at Plymouth Theater NYC after 421 performances.  

1992: Jake's Women opened on Broadway at the Neil Simon Theater on March 24, 1992, and closed on October 25, 1992, after 245 performances and 14 previews.  

1992: Roger Miller died of lung and throat cancer in a hospital in Los Angeles. Scored the 1965 UK No.1 & US No.4 single 'King Of The Road’. Miller won eleven Grammy Awards as a songwriter and seven Tony awards for writing the music and lyrics for 'Big River. The Proclaimers had the 1990 UK No.9 hit with their version of 'King Of The Road.'   

1995: "Victor/Victoria" opens at Marquis Theater NYC for 738 performances.  

1997: After falling over on stage when reaching for a guitar pick, Johnny Cash announced during a gig in Michigan that he was suffering from Parkinson's disease.  

1997: The Spice Girls went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Spice Up Your Life'. Taken from their second album 'Spiceworld' the single set a new record, making them the only act to have their first five singles reach No.1.  

2000: William Martin drummer with Sam The Sham & the Pharaohs died of a heart attack. The quintessential Tex-Mex band of the 1960s had the 1965 US No.2 & UK No.11 single 'Wooly Bully'.  

2001: 13 law firms were still involved in claims to Grateful Dead guitarist Jerry Garcia's $10m estate six years after his death. Former wives & girlfriends continued to fight on how to distribute his estate and annual royalties of $4.6m.  

2002: Richard Harris, who had the 1968 US No.2 & UK No.4 hit 'MacArthur Park' died of cancer. The 72-year-old Irish-born actor had been undergoing chemotherapy at a private clinic in London. Though he charted three other times, Harris was better known for his acting roles on stage and film, most recently playing Albus Dumbledore in two Harry Potter films.  

2003: Johnny Cash's step-daughter, Rosey Nix Adams, and her fiddle player Jimmy Campbell were found dead on their tour bus in Clarksville, Tennessee from Carbon monoxide poisoning. Heaters that had been left on were blamed for the accident.  

2004: John Peel died in Cuzco, Peru of a heart attack, aged 65. He was BBC’s longest-serving radio DJ and the first DJ to introduce the Ramones, The Smiths, Rod Stewart, Blur, the Sex Pistols, T Rex, and others to the masses. He founded Dandelion Records in 1969 and was also known for his ‘Peel Sessions’, releases of live radio sessions. Peel was appointed an OBE in 1998.  

2007: Three workers building the set for an Akon outdoor show at Emory University in Atlanta were taken to hospital after a canopy fell on top of them. The concert was later canceled  

2012: Forbes magazine reported that Michael Jackson topped their list of highest-earning dead musical celebrities by earning $145 million in the past year. Elvis Presley ranked No.2 with $55 million in earnings and Bob Marley No.3 with $17 million.  

2014: Jack Bruce, best known as one-third of Cream died of liver disease aged 71. Bruce played bass, sang, and was the principal songwriter in Cream, and his CV reads like a comprehensive guide to the British blues boom, with spells in Alexis Korner’s Blues Inc, the Graham Bond Organisation, John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers, and Manfred Mann.  

2015: American guitarist and saxophonist Marlo Henderson died aged 67. As a session musician, he played on albums such as Off the Wall by Michael Jackson and worked with Paul McCartney and Minnie Riperton.  

1576: Thomas Weelkes, an English organist and composer of madrigals, was baptized in Elstead (d. 1623)  

1709: Georg Gebel, a German musician, and composer was born in Brzeg, Silesia (d. 1753)   

1716: Petronio Maria Pio Sgabazzi, an Italian composer, was born in Bologna, Italy.  

1721: Pierre Talon, a French composer and cellist, was born in Reims (d. 1785)  

1772: Corneille Vander Planken, a Belgian violinist and composer (d. 1849)  

1815: Ernesto Camillo Sivori, an Italian violinist and composer, was born in Genoa, Italy (d. 1894)  

1815: Philipp Fahrbach the Elder, an Austrian composer, was born in Vienna, Austria (d. 1885)  

1825: Johann Baptist Strauss Jr., an Austrian composer (Waltz King) was born in Vienna, Austria (d. 1899)  

1838: Georges Bizet, a French composer (Carmen) was born in Paris (d. 1875)  

1864: Alexander Gretchaninov, a Russian composer, was born in Moscow, Russia (d. 1956)  

1866: Georg Alfred Schumann, a German composer, was born in Königstein, Saxony, Germany (d. 1952  

1879: Jean Rogister, a Belgian virtuoso violist and composer, was born in Liège, Belgium (d. 1964)  

1879: Mayhew Lester Lake, an American composer, was born in Southville, Massachusetts (d. 1955)  

1882: Tony Jackson, an American ragtime pianist and singer-songwriter ("Pretty Baby") was born in New Orleans (d. 1921)  

1887: Willem Andriessen, a Dutch composer, and pianist (Beethoven), was born in Haarlem, Netherlands (d. 1964)  

1902: Eddie Lang [Salvatore Massaro], an American jazz guitarist known as the "father of jazz guitar", was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (d. 1933)  

1924: Earl Palmer, an American rock and roll drummer (The Wrecking Crew) was born in New Orleans (d. 2008)  

1925: Oralia Domínguez, a Mexican mezzo-soprano, was born in San Luis Potosí (d. 2013)  

1926: Galina Vishnevskaya, a Russian soprano opera singer (Britten's "War Requiem") was born in Leningrad, Russia (d. 2012)  

1926: Jimmy Heath "Little Bird", an American jazz saxophonist and composer, was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (d. 2020)  

1927: Barbara Cook, an American stage singer, and actress (Music Man) was born in Atlanta, Georgia (d. 2017)  

1935: Zdeněk Pololáník, a Czech composer and organist, was born in Brno, Czechoslovakia.  

1941: Helen Reddy, an Australian singer, and songwriter who had the 1975 US No.1 & UK No.5 single 'Angie Baby'). Cher had previously turned down the song. Reddy died on 29 September 2020 at age 78.

1943: Roy Lynes, an English rock organist (Status Quo) was born in Redhill, Surrey, England.  

1943: Charlie Smalls, an American Tony Award-winning composer, and songwriter (The Wiz) was born in Queens, New York City (d. 1987)  

1944: English singer and songwriter Jon Anderson, who was a member of The Warriors, and Yes who scored the 1983 UK No.28 & US No.1 single 'Owner Of A Lonely Heart'. Anderson is also noted for his solo career and collaborations with other artists, including Vangelis as Jon and Vangelis.  

1944: Taffy Danoff, from the American pop group Starland Vocal Band, had the 1976 US No.1 & UK No.18 single 'Afternoon Delight' one of the biggest-selling singles of 1976.  

1947: John Hall from the British pop, R&B, and rock group The Equals who had the 1968 UK No.1 & US No.32 single 'Baby Come Back' written by Eddy Grant.  

1947: Glenn Tipton, an English rock guitarist (Judas Priest-Breakin' the Law) was born in Blackheath, England. (Side Note: On This Day & Wikipedia agree with his DOB, This Day In Music has his DOB in 1948).  

1949: Walter Hyatt, an American singer, and songwriter (Uncle Walt's Band) was born in Spartanburg, South Carolina (d. 1996)  

1950: Chris Norman, from the English rock band Smokie who had the 1975 UK No.3 single 'If You Think You Know How To Love Me. Their most popular hit single was 'Living Next Door to Alice'.  

1951: Richard Lloyd, an American guitarist with Television. The group's debut album, Marquee Moon, is often considered one of the defining releases of the punk era.  

1951: Ransom Wilson, an American conductor, and flutist (Soliste NY)  

1955: Robin Eubanks, an American jazz trombonist, was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.  

1955: Matthias Jabs, from German rock band Scorpions. Their 1990 power ballad 'Wind Of Change' topped the European charts and was a No.4 hit in the US. The Scorpions hold the record for the best-selling single by a German artist and band. (Side Note: On This Day has his DOB in 1956, This Day In Music & Wikipedia agree his DOB in 1955).  

1957: Robbie Macintosh, an English rock guitarist, and vocalist (The Pretenders) was born in Sutton, Surrey, England.  

1958: Phil Daniels, a British stage and screen actor (Quadrophenia; EastEnders - "Kevin") and rock singer, was born in Islington, London, England.  

1958: Mark Miller, an American singer (Sawyer Brown - "This Missin' You Heart of Mine"; "Thank God For You") was born in Dayton, Ohio.  

1959: Marina Minkin, an Israeli harpsichordist, and teacher (Ad Libitum Ensemble) was born in Ukraine.  

1959: Christine Joy Amphlett was an Australian singer, songwriter, and actress. She was best known as the frontwoman of the Australian rock band Divinyls. Amphlett grew up in Geelong in Victoria, Australia. She left home as a teenager and traveled to the United Kingdom, France, and Spain. She was detained for three months in Spain, for singing on the streets. (Side Note: On This Day & Wikipedia agree her DOB was 1959, This Day In Music has her DOB in1960).  

1959: Luc Brewaeys, a Belgian pianist, conductor, and composer, was born in Mortsel, Belgium (d. 2015)  

1961: Chad Gaylord Smith is an American musician who has been the drummer of the band Red Hot Chili Peppers since 1988. The group was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2012. Smith is also the drummer of the hard rock supergroup Chickenfoot, formed in 2008, and of the all-instrumental outfit Chad Smith's Bombastic Meatbats, formed in 2007. He worked with The Chicks on Taking the Long Way, an album that won 5 Grammy Awards in 2007. (Side Note: On This Day & Wikipedia agree his DOB in 1961, This Day In Music has his DOB in 1962).  

1963: John Leven, Europe, (1986 UK No.1 single 'The Final Countdown').  

1964: Nicholas Bernard Thorp, an English musician (Curiosity Killed the Cat) was born in Sunbury-on-Thames, Surrey. (Side Note: On This Day & Wikipedia agree his DOB in 1964, This Day In Music has his DOB in 1965).   

1968: Todd Thomas, from American alternative hip hop group, Arrested Development who scored the 1992 UK No.2 and US No. 8 single 'People Everyday. The group won two Grammy Awards in 1993 for Best New Artist and Best Rap Performance and was also named Band of the Year by Rolling Stone magazine.  

1970: Ed Robertson, guitar, with Canadian rock band Barenaked Ladies who scored the 1998 US No.1 & UK No.5 single 'One Week'. The group has sold over 15 million records including albums and singles and was inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame in March of 2018.  

1971: Midori [Gotō], a Japanese-born American violinist, was born in Osaka Japan.  

1975: Eirik Glambek Bøe, a Norwegian musician (Kings of Convenience) was born in Bergen, Norway. 

1981: Jerome "Romeo" Jones, American singer (Food for Thought) was born in Los Angeles, California.  

1981: Austin John Winkler, an American lead vocalist (Hinder) was born in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. 

1982: Eman Lam, Hong Kong singer (at17), born in Hong Kong  

1984: Sara Lumholdt, a Swedish musician (A-Teens) was born in Stockholm, Sweden.  

1984: Katy Perry, (born Katheryn Elizabeth Hudson) American singer-songwriter, scored 2008 single ‘I Kissed a Girl’ which was a worldwide hit topping the charts in over 20 countries. Her 2013 single 'Roar' gave the singer her eighth non-consecutive US No.1 hit.  

1985: Ciara Princess Harris, an American singer, songwriter, record producer, (2004 US No.1 single ‘Goodies’, 2006 US No.1 album Ciara: The Evolution).  

1986: DJ Webstar, an American disc jockey and record producer (Chicken Noodle Soup) was born in Harlem, New York.

Hopefully, until sometime tomorrow, take care and stay safe

MOHLovesAlaska

Good Tuesday morning, This Day In The History Of Music. Have a great Tuesday.

1919: B.C Hilliam's musical "Buddies" premieres in NYC. Bentley Collingwood Hilliam, usually credited as B. C. Hilliam, was an English singer, songwriter and musician, and the first-named member of the comedy duo Mr. Flotsam and Mr. Jetsam.

1919: Edward Elgar's Cello Concerto in E minor, Op. 85, his last notable work, premieres in Queen's Hall London.

1927: Duke Ellington sings "Creole Love Song".

1930: Dmitri Shostakovich's ballet "Zolotoy Vyek" premieres in Leningrad.

1958: Bill Haley and his Comets played the first rock 'n' roll concert in Germany. Over 7,000 rock 'n' roll fans turned the show into a riot.

1962: The Rolling Stones (known as The Rollin' Stones), and consisting of Keith Richards, Mick Jagger, Brian Jones pianist Ian Stewart, and drummer Tony Chapman recorded their first demo tape at Curly Clayton Studios in Highbury, London. They recorded three songs, Jimmy Reed's 'Close Together', Bo Diddley's 'You Can't Judge A Book By The Cover', and Muddy Waters' 'Soon Forgotten.'

1962: The Beatles' record "Ask Me Why".  (Side Note: On This Day states "Ask Me Why was recorded this day in 1962, This Day In Music makes no mention of the recording, and Wikipedia states this about the recording of the song"Ask My Why" was originally recorded at Abbey Road Studios on June 6, 1962, with an unknown number of takes as part of the Beatles' EMI audition. The two quarter-inch tape reels from that session were later destroyed by EMI. It was recorded again on November 26, 1962, the same day the Beatles rehearsed "Tip of My Tongue", another Lennon and McCartney song which, along with "Ask Me Why", was also being considered for the B-side of the "Please Please Me").  

1965: Queen Elizabeth II invested The Beatles with their MBE's at Buckingham Palace, London. According to an account by John Lennon, the group smoked marijuana in one of the palace bathrooms to calm their nerves. Many former recipients gave their MBE's back in protest, to which John Lennon responded "Lots of people who complained about us receiving the MBE received theirs for heroism in the war, for killing people." He continued: "We received ours for entertaining other people. I'd say we deserve ours more."

1966: English singer Alma Cogan died of stomach cancer aged 34. She scored the 1955 UK No.1 single 'Dreamboat', plus 20 other UK Top 40 hits. In the 50s Cogan was the most consistently successful female singer in the UK and the youngest female act to top the charts during the 50s.

1968: The two-day San Francisco Pop Festival was held at Alameda County Fairgrounds. The Animals, Procol Harum, Iron Butterfly, Jose Feliciano, Deep Purple, Creedence Clearwater Revival, and Canned Heat all appeared.

1970: (Janis Joplin). A wake was held at Lion's Share in San Anselmo, California to celebrate the life of Janis Joplin. The singer who died of an accidental drugs overdose had left $2,500 in her will to throw a wake party in the event of her demise. The party was attended by her sister Laura and Joplin's close friends; Brownies laced with hashish were unknowingly passed around amongst the guests. Joplin was cremated in the Pierce Brothers Westwood Village Mortuary in Los Angeles; her ashes were scattered from a plane into the Pacific Ocean and along Stinson Beach.

1973: Wings’ single ‘Helen Wheels’ was released in the United Kingdom on 26 October 1973. Helen Wheels was the name of the McCartneys’ Land Rover, a pun on the phrase ‘hell on wheels. The song was recorded during sessions for the Band On The Run album.

1979: AC/DC appeared at The Mayfair, Newcastle upon Tyne, England, supported by Def Leppard. The bands were booked to appear the night before but after a fire at the venue in the afternoon, the show was canceled.

1984: 19-year-old John D. McCollum killed himself with a .22 caliber handgun after spending the day listening to Ozzy Osbourne's records. One year later, McCollum's parents took court action against Ozzy and CBS Records, alleging that the song "Suicide Solution" from the album Blizzard of Ozz contributed to their son's death. The case was eventually thrown out of court.

1985: Whitney Houston went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Saving All My Love For You', also a No.1 hit in the UK.

1986: "Into the Light" closes at Neil Simon Theater NYC after 6 performances.

1991: (Bill Graham). Legendary Rock concert promoter Bill Graham was killed when the Bell 206B JetRanger III helicopter he was riding in struck the top of a Pacific Gas and Electric transmission tower near Sears Point, northwest of Vallejo, and exploded. The crash, which left the helicopter's wreckage dangling near the top of the towering structure, killed Graham, his girlfriend Melissa Gold, and pilot Steve Kahn. Graham had founded the Fillmore theaters in San Francisco and New York and had played key roles in supporting such bands as The Who, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Janis Joplin, The Band, Bob Dylan, The J. Geils Band, The Allman Brothers Band, and The Rolling Stones.

1993: (Madonna). Catholic churches in San Juan, Puerto Rico asked residents to tie black ribbons on trees in protest against Madonna's first live appearance in the country.

1996: The Spice Girls had their second UK No.1 single when 'Say You'll Be There' started a two-week run at the top of the charts. The song included a harmonica solo, played by Judd Lander who also played the harmonica solo on Culture Club's 1984 hit 'Karma Chameleon'.

1999: (Hoyt Axton). American singer, songwriter, and actor Hoyt Axton died of a heart attack in Victor, Montana aged 61. He wrote songs for, Elvis Presley, Three Dog Night, (1971 US No.1 'Joy To The World'), John Denver, Ringo Starr, Glen Campbell. His mother Mae Boren Axton wrote 'Heartbreak Hotel'.

2002: Moscow Theatre Siege ends: Approximately 50 Chechen rebels and 150 hostages die when Russian Spetsnaz storm a theater building in Moscow, which had been occupied by the rebels during a musical performance three days before.

2004: (U2). Apple launched the U2 Special Edition iPod as part of a partnership between Apple, U2, and Universal Music Group. The new U2 iPod held up to 5,000 songs and featured a red Click Wheel and custom engraving of U2 band member signatures. The iPod was being introduced as the band released their new album 'How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.'

2004: Elvis Presley came top of a list of the highest-earning dead celebrities. Forbes.com listed the Top 5 dead music earners; 1. Elvis Presley $40m (£22m), 2. John Lennon $21m (£11m), 3. George Harrison $7m (£3.8m), 4. Bob Marley $7m and at 5. George and Ira Gershwin $6m.

2007: (Bob Dylan). 1,730 guitarists played the immortal Bob Dylan classic, 'Knocking On Heaven's Door' in a bid to break a record in the state of Meghalaya, North East India. The guitarists hoped their achievement would earn them a place in the Guinness Book of World Records. The current Guinness World Record was held by a guitar ensemble from Kansas City in the US when 1,683 guitarists, played Deep Purple's 'Smoke On The Water'.

2007: Rapper TI was released on $3m (£1.5m) bail in Atlanta after he was charged with unlawfully possessing firearms, unregistered machine guns, and silencers. US Magistrate Judge Alan Baverman said the singer would remain under house arrest in Henry County, Georgia, being monitored 24 hours a day by a private firm paid for by himself. The rapper was also electronically tagged.

2007: Pete Doherty was given a suspended prison term for drugs and motoring offenses after admitting to driving while uninsured, having no MOT, and while in possession of crack cocaine, heroin, ketamine, and cannabis. The Babyshambles singer was sentenced to four months in jail, suspended for two years at West London Magistrates' Court. He was also given an 18-month supervision order and a 12-month drug rehabilitation order and was ordered to pay a £475 fine for driving without insurance or an MOT.

2008: AC/DC went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Black Ice' the Australian band's fifteenth studio album which went on to become a No.1 hit in 29 different countries and the second-best-selling album of 2008.

2010: Forbes Magazine released its annual list of the Top-Earning Dead Celebrities. Michael Jackson led the way at $275 million, Elvis Presley was second at $60 million and John Lennon was fifth at $17 million.

2010: (Boy George). Former Culture Club vocalist Boy George stunned an audience in London, England after reportedly flying into a rage and tossing his drink on a woman who was talking during his show. Before emptying his glass on her from the stage, George was heard shouting, "Why don't you shut the f**k up, you rude c**t!"

2011: Aerosmith was forced to delay a concert in South America after Steven Tyler fell in his hotel bathroom. The singer suffered cuts to his face and lost two of his teeth ahead of a concert in Asuncion, Paraguay. He was said to have received stitches and had emergency dental work, forcing the gig to be postponed by 24 hours.

2011: (Amy Winehouse). A coroner's inquest on the death of Amy Winehouse reached a verdict of misadventure. The report explained that Winehouse's blood alcohol content was 416 mg per decilitre at the time of her death, more than five times the legal drink-drive limit. According to the coroner, ‘The unintended consequences of such potentially fatal levels was her sudden death.

2013: Producer Quincy Jones was suing the estate of the late Michael Jackson for millions of dollars. He said the singer's estate and Sony Music Entertainment improperly re-edited songs to deprive him of royalties and production fees. Mr. Jones stated that they also broke an agreement giving him the right to remix master recordings for albums released after Jackson's death in 2009.

2015: Justin Bieber cleaned up at the MTV's EMAs - (European Music Awards), winning best male, best North American act, best collaboration for 'Where Are You Now?', with Skrillex and Diplo, biggest fans and best look. One Direction won the prize for best pop, Taylor Swift's 'Bad Blood' won the best song, and Rihanna was named best female.

2017: National Party of New Zealand found guilty of breaching the copyright of rapper Eminem's publisher and ordered to pay $413,000 for use of the song “Eminem Esque”. 2018: Irish singer Sinéad O'Connor announces she has converted to Islam.

2019: (Kurt Cobain). An olive green Manhattan brand acrylic and mohair cardigan was worn by Kurt Cobain during Nirvana's famed appearance on MTV Unplugged become the most expensive sweater sold at auction after fetching £260,388. A custom Fender guitar built-in 1993 that Cobain used during the band's In Utero tour was also sold for £265,066.

2019: American musician Paul Barrere died at age 71. He was a member of Little Feat, which he joined in 1972. Barrere later played with Phil Lesh and Friends and also toured with Bob Dylan.

1483: Hans Buchner, a German composer, was born in Ravensburg (d. 1538)

1685: Domenico Scarlatti, an Italian composer and harpsichordist (La Silvia) was born in Naples, Italy (d. 1757)

1694: Johan Helmich Roman, a Swedish composer, conductor, and violinist, was born in Stockholm, Sweden (d. 1758)

1719: Joaquín Martínez de Oxinagas, a composer, was born in Bilbao, Basque Country (d. 1789)

1740: Ernest Louis Muller, a Polish composer, and flutist was born in Warsaw, Poland (d. 1811)

1758: Louis-Charles-Joseph Rey, a French classical cellist, and composer was born in Lauzerte, France (d. 1811)

1789: Joseph Mayseder, an Austrian violinist and composer, was born in Vienna, Austria (d. 1863)

1795: Nikolaos Mantzaros, an Italian-Greek composer, was born in Corfu Island, Greece (d. 1872)

1813: Henry Smart, an English organist, and composer was born in London (d. 1879)

1818: Stefano Golinelli, an Italian pianist and composer, was born in Bologna, Italy (d. 1891)

1830: Polibo Fumagalli, an Italian composer, was born in Inzago, Italy (d. 1900)

1845: Hendrik Waelput, a Flemish composer and conductor (Forest, Stella) was born in Ghent, Belgium (d. 1885)

1859: Arthur Friedheim, a Russian composer, was born in St. Petersburg, Russia (d. 1932)

1864: Joseph Moorat, a British composer (Prunella) (d. 1938)

1869: August Halm, a German composer, was born in Vellberg, Germany (d. 1929)

1871: Hermann Löhr, a British composer, was born in Plymouth, England (d. 1943)

1886: Gustav Hermann Unger, a German composer, was born in Kamenz, Germany (d. 1958)

1898: Beryl Rubinstein, an American pianist, and composer was born in Athens, Georgia (d. 1952)

1907: Giovanni Salviucci, an Italian composer was born in Rome (d. 1937)

1911: American gospel singer Mahalia Jackson. Known as the "Queen of Gospel Music" she recorded over 30 albums and became one of the most influential gospel singers in the world and was heralded internationally as a singer and civil rights activist. She died on 27 January 1972 of heart failure and diabetes complications aged 60.

1914: Alexander "Sasha" Argov [Abramovich], an Israeli composer, was born in Moscow, Russian Empire (d. 1995)

1915: Golfredo Corradetti, a Canadian conductor and composer, was born in Calgary, Alberta; (d. 1995)

1929: Hans Peter Haller, a German composer, was born in Radolfzell, Germany (d. 2006)

1929: Neal Matthews, Jr., an American singer (The Jordanaires) was born in Nashville, Tennessee (d. 2000)

1934: Hans-Joachim Rödelius, a German composer and musician (Cluster, Harmonia) was born in Berlin Germany.

1934: Jacques Loussier, a French pianist and composer who created jazz arrangements of Bach and other classical music, was born in Angers, France (d. 2019)

1936: Bruce Belland, an American singer (Tim Conway Hour) was born in Chicago, Illinois.

1936: American guitarist Alvin (Al) Casey. Mainly noted for his work as a session musician and as a member of the Wrecking Crew, Casey worked with The Beach Boys, Phil Spector, Elvis Presley, Glen Campbell, The Association, The Monkees, Johnny Cash, Simon And Garfunkel, 5th Dimension, Harry Nilsson, The Partridge Family, Frank Sinatra, and Nancy Sinatra. Casey died on 17 September 2006, in Phoenix, Arizona aged 69.

1942: Dietmar Polaczek, an Austrian composer and writer, was born in Bendsburg, Upper Silesia (now Będzin, Poland) 1944: Mike Piano, an American rocker (Sandpipers) was born in Rochester, New York.

1944: Kenneth Lee Ascher, an American jazz pianist, composer ("Rainbow Connection"), and arranger (John Lennon) was born in Washington, D.C.

1946: Keith Hopwood, guitarist with English beat rock band, Herman's Hermits who scored the 1964 UK No.1 single 'I'm Into Something Good' (cover of Earl-Jean's) and the 1965 US No.1 single 'Mrs. Brown, You've Got A Lovely Daughter'.

1947: Marilyn Middleton Pollock, an American jazz and blues singer, was born in Chicago, Illinois.

1951: American musician and singer-songwriter Bootsy Collins. He played with James Brown, Parliament, Funkadelic, and Bootsy's Rubber Band.

1951: Maggie Roche, singer, songwriter, The Roches, worked with Paul Simon and Loudon Wainwright.

1952: Andy Richards, a British-Australian session and touring keyboard player ("Relax"; "Careless Whisper"), and producer, was born in London, England.

1952: David Was, founder of the American 1980s pop group Was Not Was, who had the 1992 UK No.4 single 'Shake Your Head'. Was produced two soundtrack albums for the X-Files TV show and feature film.

1953: Keith Strickland, guitar, keyboards, drums, with the American new wave band The B-52's. Best known for their 1978 debut single 'Rock Lobster and the 1990 UK No.2 & US No.3 single 'Love Shack'.  

1955: Christine Brewer, an American operatic soprano, was born in Grand Tower, Illinois.   1956: Rita Wilson, an American actress, singer, and film producer, was born in Los Angeles, California.  

1956: Mike LeDonne, an American jazz Hammond organist, pianist, and composer (Benny Golson; The Groover Quartet) was born in Bridgeport, Connecticut.  

1958: Bassam Sabam, Lebanese violinist, oud, and nay player (New York Arabic Orchestra; Silk Road Ensemble) was born in Tripoli, Lebanon (d. 2020).  

1962: Steve Wren, with English rock band Then Jerico who had the 1989 UK No.13 single 'Big Area'.  

1963: Natalie Merchant, singer, songwriter from the American alternative rock band 10,000 Maniacs that was founded in 1981. After the recording of MTV Unplugged (1993) Merchant left the band to pursue a solo career.  

1965: Judge Jules, UK remixer, producer. He was voted best DJ in the world by DJ Mag in the year 1995.  

1965: Aaron Kwok Fu-Shing, a Hong Kong singer, was born in Hong Kong.  

1965: Sakari Oramo, a Finnish conductor (the City of Birmingham Symphony, 1998-2008; Royal Stockholm Philharmonic, 2008-21; BBC Symphony, 2013-23) was born in Helsinki, Finland.  

1966: Masaharu Iwata, a Japanese video game composer, was born in Tokyo Japan.  

1967: Keith Urban, country music singer, songwriter, and guitarist whose commercial success has been mainly in the United States and Australia. In 1991, he released a self-titled debut album and charted four singles in Australia before moving to the United States in 1992. Eventually, Urban found work as a session guitarist before starting a band known as The Ranch. Since 2006, he has been married to actress Nicole Kidman.  

1971: Anthony Rapp, an American singer, and actor, was born in Joliet, Illinois.  

1974: Lisa [Elizabeth Sakura Narita], a Japanese musician (M-Flo) was born in Tokyo Japan.  

1978: Mark Barry, from English pop group BBMak who scored the 2001 UK No.5 single 'Back Here' which was also a No.1 hit in Japan.  

1981: Guy Sebastian, an Australian singer-songwriter, winner of the first Australian Idol series. (2003 Australian No.1 single, ‘Angels Brought Me Here’).  

1984: Amanda Overmyer, an American singer (American Idol season 7 finalist) was born in Mulberry, Indiana.  

1986: Schoolboy Q, (Quincy Matthew Hanley) an American hip hop artist who had the 2014 US No.1 album Oxymoron.

1996: Onutė Gražinytė, a Lithuanian classical pianist, was born in Vilnius, Lithuania.

MOHLovesAlaska

Good Wednesday morning, This Day In The History Of Music, have a great Wednesday.

1901: 1st complete performance of Claude Debussy's orchestral composition "Nocturnes".

1945: "Carib Song" closes at Adelphi Theater NYC after 36 performances.

1950: Paul Creston's 3rd Symphony, "Triumph of St Joan" premieres.

1952: "My Darlin' Aida" opens at Winter Garden Theater in NYC for 89 performances.

1957: Buddy Holly & The Crickets started a three-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'That'll Be The Day. It was also a No.3 hit in the US where it went on to sell over a million. The song was inspired by a trip to the movies by Holly, Jerry Allison, and Sonny Curtis in June 1956. The John Wayne film The Searchers was playing and Wayne's frequently-used, world-weary catchphrase, "that'll be the day" inspired the young musicians.

1960: Singer Ben E. King records "Spanish Harlem" & "Stand By Me". "Spanish Harlem" is a song recorded by Ben E. King in 1960 for Atco Records. It was written by Jerry Leiber and Phil Spector and produced by Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller. "Stand by Me" is a song originally performed in 1961 by American singer-songwriter Ben E. King and written by him, along with Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller, who together used the pseudonym Elmo Glick. According to King, the title is derived from, and was inspired by, a spiritual written by Sam Cooke and J. W. Alexander called "Stand by Me Father," recorded by the Soul Stirrers with Johnnie Taylor singing lead.

1962: "Beyond the Fringe" opens at John Golden Theater NYC for 673 performances.

1964: "Ben Franklin in Paris" opens at Lunt Fontanne NYC for 215 performances.

1964: (Sonny and Cher) 31-year-old Salvatore Philip Bono married 18-year-old Cherilyn Sarkisian La Piere. For a time they performed together as Caesar and Cleo before changing the name of their act to Sonny and Cher. Their union lasted 12 years.

1966: The Four Tops were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Reach Out I'll Be There.' The group's only UK No.1.

1969: Muddy Waters was seriously injured in a car crash in Champagne, Illinois. Three people were killed in the accident.

1970: "Light, Lively & Yiddish" opens at Belasco Theater in NYC for 87 performances.

1973: Gladys Knight and the Pips started a two-week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Midnight Train To Georgia'. It was the group's 18th Top 40 hit and first No.1. The record won the 1974 Grammy Award for Best R&B Vocal Performance By A Duo, Group, Or Chorus and has become Knight's signature song.

1975: (Bruce Springsteen) After releasing the single and album Born to Run, Bruce Springsteen had the rare honor of simultaneous covers on both Time and Newsweek magazines in the US.

1977: Baccara was at No.1 in the UK singles chart with 'Yes Sir, I Can Boogie. They were the first Spanish act to score a UK No.1, and the first female duo to do so. 'Yes Sir, I Can Boogie' is also one of the thirty all-time singles to have sold 10 million (or more) copies worldwide.

1977: American musician Roy Estrada is known as a founding member of Little Feat and who also worked with Frank Zappa was convicted of sexual assault on a child. Estrada served six years in prison. In January 2012, he pleaded guilty to a charge of continuous sexual abuse of a child which happened in March 2008. In the plea bargain agreement, he was sentenced to 25 years in prison and is not eligible for parole.

1979: During a US tour, Elton John collapsed on stage at Hollywood's Universal Amphitheatre suffering from exhaustion.

1980: (John Lennon). Mark Chapman bought a five-shot .38 special for $169. A little over six weeks later, he would use the gun to kill John Lennon outside his New York City apartment.

1980: (Steve Took) Former T. Rex member Steve Took, choked to death on a cherry stone, after some magic mushrooms he had eaten, numbed all sensation in his throat, he was aged 31. Took was also a member of The Deviants with Pink Fairies members Twink and Mick Farren.

1981: Former Beatle member Ringo Starr releases the single "Wrack My Brain" in the US, which was written and produced by another former Beatle member. George Harrison.

1984: (Grateful Dead). During a US tour, Grateful Dead allocated a specific recording area for fans to bootleg the show; tonight's gig was in Berkeley, California.

1986: "Pretty Little Head" is a song by Paul McCartney, co-written by McCartney, and 10cc guitarist Eric Stewart. The track is on his sixth studio solo album Press to Play.

1987: Peter Shaffer's musical "Lettice & Lovage" premieres in London.

1988: U2's film 'Rattle And Hum', received its worldwide premiere in the group's hometown Dublin.

1988: "Les Miserables" opens at Forrest Theatre, Philadelphia.

1989: U2 bass player Adam Clayton was convicted of a drink-driving offense by a Dublin court after being found driving twice over the legal limit. He was fined £500 and banned from driving for 1 year.

1990: "Michael Feinstein in Concert" closes at Golden NYC after 30 performances.

1991: "Andre Heller's Wonderhouse" closes at Broadhurst NYC after 9 performances.

1991: "Homecoming" opens at Criterion Theater NYC for 49 performances.

1992: Bo Diddley took his ex-manager to court claiming he had taken $75,000 through unauthorized personal expenses.

2000: Lonnie Donegan went to Buckingham Palace to receive his MBE for his services to pop music. Lonnie pioneered skiffle in the 1950s and inspired a generation of teenagers to start bands.

2002: (Tom Dowd). American record producer Tom Dowd died of emphysema. He recorded albums by many artists including Eric Clapton, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Derek, and the Dominos, Rod Stewart, Aretha Franklin, Cream, Lulu, Chicago, The Allman Brothers Band, The J. Geils Band, Meat Loaf, Sonny & Cher, The Rascals, Willie Nelson, Diana Ross, Kenny Loggins, Dusty Springfield, The Drifters and Otis Redding.

2003: Scott Weiland singer with The Stone Temple Pilots was arrested on his birthday in Hollywood, California, after being involved in a traffic collision. He was charged with driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol, but these charges were later dismissed after the singer successfully completed rehab and underwent subsequent drug tests.

2005: (50 Cent). The distributor of rapper 50 Cent's new film said it would remove posters advertising the film after complaints that glorify gun violence. Posters for 'Get Rich or Die Tryin' showed 50 Cent holding a gun in his left hand and a microphone the other. Los Angeles County Supervisor Michael Antonovich wrote to Paramount Pictures urging them to take down the posters. The company said it had taken down one poster near a Los Angeles nursery school, and planned to remove more.

2006: Amy Winehouse released her second and final studio album Back to Black. The album spawned five singles: 'Rehab', 'You Know I'm No Good', 'Back to Black', 'Tears Dry on Their Own' and 'Love Is a Losing Game and won Best Pop Vocal Album at the 50th Annual Grammy Awards. Back to Black sold 3.58 million copies in the UK alone, becoming the UK's second best-selling album of the 21st century. Worldwide, the album has sold over 20 million copies.

2007: Keith Richards marched with campaigners protesting against possible Sussex hospital cuts. The Stones guitarist joined 15,000 people for the walkthrough Chichester to oppose plans which could see St Richard's Hospital downgraded. A spokeswoman for the guitarist said: "Keith is a long-standing member of the West Wittering community and is pleased to lend his support to local efforts to save St Richard's Hospital.’

2007: Former Moloko singer Roisin Murphy was recovering in hospital after damaging her eye socket during a show in Russia. The singer hit her head on a chair during the show at Moscow's Ikra Club and was rushed to hospital for surgery. A spokesman said she lost "a lot of blood" and had a severe concussion, but her vision was unaffected and she was "recovering well".

2009: Eric Clapton pulled out of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame concert in New York City after he underwent an operation to remove gallstones. His gig was taken by Jeff Beck.

2013: (Lou Reed). Velvet Underground frontman Lou Reed died at the age of 71. An admitted hard drinker and drug user for many years, he underwent a liver transplant in Cleveland in April 2013. Afterward, he claimed on his website to be 'bigger and stronger than ever.

2014: The Pet Shop Boys 'Always On My Mind' was voted the top cover version of all time in a BBC Music vote. The song, written by John Christopher, Mark James, and Wayne Carson, was first made famous by Brenda Lee and Elvis Presley in 1972. Johnny Cash's cover of Nine Inch Nails' 'Hurt' came in second place, followed by The Stranglers' version of Dionne Warwick's 'Walk On By'. Jimi Hendrix's take on Bob Dylan's 'All Along The Watchtower' came fourth and Jeff Buckley's cover of Leonard Cohen's 'Hallelujah' completed the top five.

2014: (Sting). The Last Ship, Sting's musical about shipbuilding in northeast England, opened on Broadway. The former frontman with The Police described watching the opening night as "an out-of-body experience". Billy Joel, Bruce Springsteen, and Blondie's Deborah Harry were among the first night audience at the Neil Simon Theatre.

2014: Taylor Swift releases her 5th studio album “1989” (2015 Billboard Album of the Year, Grammy Award for Album of the Year 2016).

2014: "Montevallo" debut album by Sam Hunt is released (American Country Countdown Award Digital Album of the Year 2016, Billboard Album of the Year 2015).

2016: (John Lennon). A letter John Lennon wrote to the Queen explaining why he was returning his MBE was found tucked in a record sleeve from a £10 car boot haul. The anonymous owner took the document to a valuation day at The Beatles Story in Liverpool and discovered it was worth about £60,000. Lennon had returned the MBE in protest at Britain's involvement in a civil war.

2019: Scottish singer, songwriter Lewis Capaldi achieved his first No.1 single in the US with ‘Someone You Loved’ after the track had spent 23 weeks in the US charts before reaching the top. The singer celebrated by painting his face in the style of the Stars and Stripes.

1739: Franz Ignaz Kaa, a German composer, was born in Offenburg, Baden-Württemberg (d. 1818)

1746: Georg Anton Kreusser, a German composer, was born in Triefenstein, Germany (d. 1810)

1775: Traugott Maximilian Eberwein, a German composer, was born in Weimar, Germany (d. 1831)

1782: Niccolo Paganini, an Italian composer and violin virtuoso (Princess Lucca) was born in Genoa, Italy (d. 1840)

1817: Anton de Kontski [Antoni Kątski], a Polish-American pianist and composer (Awakening Of The Lion) was born in Kraków, Poland (d. 1899)

1868: Annie Patterson, an Irish organist, composer, and musicologist was born in Lurgan, Ireland (d. 1934)

1873: Henry Tate, an Australian composer, and poet was born in Melbourne (d. 1926)

1893: Johan G Dancer, a Dutch poet (Meetings)

1907: Helmut Walcha, a blind German organist (church music) was born in Leipzig, Germany (d. 1991)

1910: Folke Eriksberg [Eriksberger], Swedish jazz and session guitarist, and composer was born in Stockholm, Sweden (d. 1976)

1912: Conlon Nancarrow, an American-Mexican composer, often of player piano music (Soundings 4) was born in Texarkana, Arkansas (d. 1997)

1917: Carl "Bama" Warwick, an American jazz trumpeter (Dizzy Gillespie; John Kirby; Woody Herman; Buddy Rich) was born in Birmingham, Alabama (d. 2003)

1919: Babs Gonzales [Lee Brown], an American bebop jazz vocalist, poet, and songwriter ("Oop-Pop-A-Da") was  born in Newark, New Jersey (d. 1980)

1921: Anestis Logothetis, an Austrian composer, was born in Burgas, Bulgaria (d. 1994)

1922: Poul Bundgaard, a Danish comic actor (Olsen-Banden films) and operetta singer (Royal Danish Theatre, 1958-73) was born in Hellerup, Denmark (d. 1998)

1924: Bonnie Lou [Mary Joan Okum], an American rockabilly musician ("Tennessee Mambo") was born in Towanda, Illinois (d. 2015)

1924: Gary Chester [Cesario Gurciullo], an Italian-American session drummer (Ben E. King; Dionne Warwick; John Denver) and drum instructor, was born in Siracusa, Italy (d. 1987)

1924: George Wallington [Giacinto Figlia], an Italian-American jazz pianist, composer ("Lemon Drop"; "Godchild"), and bandleader, was born in Palermo, Sicily (d. 1993)

1927: Dominick Argento, an American composer (Colonel Jonathan the Saint) was born in York, Pennsylvania (d. 2019)

1927: Bernard Parmegiani, a French composer (L'Oeil écoute - The Eye Listens) was born in Paris (d. 2013)  

1933: Floyd Cramer, country piano player, (1961 UK No.1 single 'On The Rebound'). Worked with Elvis Presley on 'Heartbreak Hotel' and other hits. Cramer died on 31st December 1997.  

1934: Barre Phillips, an American jazz double bassist, based in France, was born in San Francisco, California.  

1938: Elliot del Borgo, an American music educator (SUNY/Crane School of Music, 1966-95) and composer (1980 Winter Olympics) was born in Port Chester, New York (d. 2013)  

1940: Anthea Joseph, a British folk music promoter, and record company publicist, was born in London, England (d. 1997)  

1940: Julius Eastman, an American pianist, vocalist, and minimalist composer (The Holy Presence of Joan d'Arc; Gay Guerrilla) was born in New York City (d. 1990)  

1942: Lee Greenwood, American country singer ("God Bless the USA"; "I Don't Mind the Thorns (If You're The Rose)") was born in South Gate, California.  

1942: Mike Appel, an American musician, songwriter, and producer (Sir Lord Baltimore; Bruce Springsteen) was born in Flushing, Queens, New York  

1942: Philip Catherine, a Belgian jazz guitarist (Chet Baker; Stephane Grappelli; Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen; Jean-Luc Ponty) was born in London, England.  

1946: Peter Martins, a Danish dancer, and choreographer was born in Copenhagen, Denmark.  

1947: Edgar Broughton, a British rocker ("Out Demons, Out!") was born in Warwick, Warwickshire, England.  

1948: Byron Allred, an American rock keyboardist (Steve Miller Band) was born in Logan, Utah.  

1948: Sherman Robertson, an American blues guitarist (I'm the Man) was born in Breaux Bridge, Louisiana.  

1949: American musician and record producer Garry Tallent is the bass player with the Bruce Springsteen E Street Band. He started playing with Springsteen in 1971 and as of 2013, and not counting Springsteen himself, Tallent is the only original member of the E Street Band remaining in the band.  

1949: Byron Allred, keyboards, Steve Miller Band, (1974 US No.1 & 1990 UK No.1 single 'The Joker') 

1949: Jack Daniels, an American country guitarist (Highway 101 - "Cry, Cry, Cry"; "Who's Lonely Now?") was born in Choctaw, Oklahoma.  

1951: K. K. Downing, English guitarist and songwriter, and one of the founding members of the British heavy metal band Judas Priest. Downing officially left Judas Priest in 2011.   1953: Peter Dodd, guitar, The Thompson Twins, (1984 UK No.2 single 'You Take Me Up', 1984 US No.3 single, 'Hold Me Now'). 

1954: Uffe Steen, the Danish jazz, rock, and blues electric guitarist was born in Odense, Denmark.  

1956: Ben Besiakov, the Danish jazz pianist and jazz-fusion keyboard player was born in Copenhagen, Denmark.  

1958: Hazell Dean, UK singer, (1988 UK No.4 single 'Who's Leaving Who').  

1958: Simon Le Bon, vocals, Duran Duran who scored the 1983 UK No.1 single 'Is There Something I Should Know, plus 25 other UK Top 40 singles, and the 1984 US No.1 single 'The Reflex'. Le Bon is also a member of its offshoot Arcadia, which had the 1985 UK No.7 single 'Election Day. Le Bon went to Pinner County Grammar School, the same school that Elton John attended some years earlier.  

1958: Manu Katché, a French session and touring drummer (Peter Gabriel; Preface; Sting) was born in Saint-Maur-des-Fossés, France  

1960: Oleg Bryjak, a Kazakhstani-German bass-baritone opera singer (Deutsche Oper am Rhein) was born in Jezkazgan, Kazakhstan, USSR (d. 2015)  

1961: Håkan Hardenberger, a Swedish classical trumpet soloist, and conductor, was born in Malmö, Sweden.  

1961: Igor Butman, a Russian-American jazz saxophonist, composer, and bandleader was born in Leningrad, USSR (now St. Petersburg, Russia)  

1967: Scott Weiland, vocals, Stone Temple Pilots, (1993 UK No.23 single 'Plush'). Velvet Revolver, (2004 US No.1 & UK No.11 album 'Contraband'). Weiland has also established himself as a solo artist, releasing three studio albums, a cover album, and collaborations with several other musicians since 1998. Weiland died on December 3, 2015, after being found in cardiac arrest on his tour bus in Bloomington, Minnesota, just before he was scheduled to go on stage with his band The Wildabouts. He was 48 years old.  

1970: Adrian Erlandsson, a Swedish drummer (Cradle of Filth) was born in Malmö, Sweden.  

1972: Elissa [Elissar Zakaria Khoury] a Lebanese singer, was born in Deir el Ahmar, Lebanon.  

1972: Marika Krook, a Finnish singer (Edea) was born in Stockholm, Sweden.  

1975: Igor Lumpert, a Slovene jazz-fusion saxophonist (The Sidewinders) was born in Novo Mesto, Yugoslavia.  

1978: Vanessa-Mae [Vanakorn Nicholson] a Singaporean-British violinist and Olympic alpine skier, was born in Singapore China.  

1978: Dmitri Kogan, a Russian concert violinist (Five Great Violins) was born in Moscow, USSR (d. 2017)  

1980: Tanel Padar, an Estonian singer (46th Eurovision Song Contest winner) was born in Utena, Estonia.  

1984: Kelly Osbourne (2002 UK No.3 single 'Papa Don't Preach', 2003 UK No.1 with Ozzy Osbourne, 'Changes'.

MOHLovesAlaska

UncleBud
Chart Topper

@MOHLovesAlaska Again, thanks for the post. I especially enjoyed the information on the inspiration behind Ben E. King's "Stand By Me". That's such a beloved classic and to know it's back story is cool.

@UncleBud you are welcome, thank you for your interest in this post. I do enjoy doing it, after all, history has always been my favorite subject. Take care and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska

Good Thursday afternoon, This Day In The History Of Music. Have a great Thursday evening. 

1783: The Symphony No. 36 in C major, KV 425, (known as the Linz Symphony) was written by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart during a stopover in the Austrian town of Linz on his and his wife's way back home to Vienna from Salzburg in late 1783. The entire symphony was written in four days to accommodate the local count's announcement, upon hearing of the Mozarts' arrival in Linz, of a concert. The première in Linz took place on 4 November 1783. The composition was also premièred in Vienna on 1 April 1784. The autograph score of the "Linz Symphony" is not preserved.

1876: Johannes Brahms' 1st Symphony in C premieres in Karlsruhe, Grand Duchy of Baden.

1890: Alexander Borodin's opera "Prince Igor" debuts at Mariinsky Theatre, St. Petersburg, Russia.  

1908: Brooklyn Academy of Music opens in NYC.  

1946: "Park Avenue" opens at Shubert Theater NYC for 72 performances.  

1950: "Barrier" closes at Broadhurst Theater NYC after 4 performances.  

1950: "Consul" closes at Barrymore Theater NYC after 269 performances.  

1954: "Fanny" opens at Majestic Theater NYC for 888 performances.  

1957: Jackie Wilson made his US chart debut with 'Reet Petite', (it made No.1 in the UK in 1986, 29 years after its first release).  

1961: American folk singer-songwriter Bob Dylan makes his Carnegie Hall (NYC) debut; tickets priced at $2.00.  

1961: Cliff Richard scored his first UK No.1 album with his 5th release '21 Today'. The album was released on October 14, 1961, the exact date of Cliff Richard's 21st birthday. Side 1 of the album contained rock tunes while side 2 consisted of ballads.  

1963: The night after The Rolling Stones had just come off a 30-date UK tour with The Everly Brothers, they kicked off another 50-date UK club tour at the Top Rank Ballroom in Preston.  

1963: John Lennon utters his infamous line at a Royal Variety Performance "Will the people in the cheaper seats clap your hands? And for the rest of you if you’ll just rattle your jewelry…" in London.  

1966: The Beach Boys 'Good Vibrations', entered the UK chart and went on to be a UK & US No.1 hit single. As a child, Brian Wilson's mother told him that dogs could pick up "vibrations" from people so that the dog would bark at "bad vibrations". Wilson turned this into the general idea for the song.  

1967: Pink Floyd made their US live debut when they appeared at the Winterland Auditorium, San Francisco, California. Floyd shared the bill with the local group Big Brother & The Holding Company, featuring singer Janis Joplin and singer/songwriter Richie Havens.  

1968: "Wichita Lineman" 12th album by Glen Campbell is released (Billboard Album of the Year, 1969) Country Singer Glen Campbell.  

1969: (Ivory Watson). Founder member of The Ink Spots, Ivory Watson died aged 60. The group that formed in the early 1930s in Indianapolis, had the 1939 US hit ‘If I Didn't Care’, and ‘The Gypsy’ was their biggest chart success, staying at the No.1 position for 13 weeks.  

1970: David Bowie released his third studio album, The Man Who Sold the World in the US - the first with the nucleus of what would become the "Spiders from Mars", backing band. The album was released in the UK in April the following year.  

1971: The Who opened up The Rainbow Finsbury Park, London, England appearing on the first of three nights.  

1972: Johnny Nash started a three-week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'I Can See Clearly Now', his only US chart-topper, it made No.5 in the UK.  

1977: (Joni Mitchell). The Last Waltz, the movie of The Bands' final concert premiered in New York. The Martin Scorsese movie also featured Joni Mitchell, Dr. John, Neil Young, Van Morrison, Neil Diamond, Eric Clapton.  

1978: Crosby Stills Nash & Young were sued by former bass player Greg Reeves for over $1million claiming he was owed from sales of their album 'Deja Vu'.  

1979: The Police released 'Walking on the Moon' as the second single from their second studio album, Reggatta de Blanc which became the band's second No.1 hit in the UK. Sting has said that he wrote the song when he was drunk one night after a concert in Munich. The following morning, he remembered the song and wrote it down.  

1980: Bob Marley was baptized at the Ethiopian Orthodox Church, Kingston, converting to a Christian Rastafarian and taking on the new name Berhane Selassie.  

1984: Prince played the first of seven nights in Detroit, Michigan at the start of his 87-date North American Purple Rain tour. The outing marked the live debut of his new band The Revolution.  

1987: U2 were on the front cover of UK pop magazine 'Smash Hits', which also had features on the Pet Shop Boys, Wet Wet Wet, T'Pau, Sting, and Black. Reviewed in the new singles page The Smiths 'I Started Something I Couldn't Finish.  

1989: Elton John scored his 50th UK chart hit when 'Sacrifice', entered the charts. Only Cliff Richard and Elvis Presley had also achieved this feat. Sacrifice was initially released as a single in 1989 but stalled at No.55 in the UK and at No.18 in the US. English DJ, Steve Wright, began playing the song on BBC Radio 1 and the song was then re-released as a double A-side single, along with 'Healing Hands'.   1989: Roxette scored their second US No.1 single with 'Listen To Your Heart', a No.6 hit in the UK the following year.  

1990: "Buddy - The Buddy Holly Story" opens at Shubert NYC for 225 performances.  

1991: (Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame). Bobby "Blue" Bland, Booker T. & The M.G.s, Johnny Cash, Jimi Hendrix, The Isley Brothers, Sam & Dave, and The Yardbirds were all elected to the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame.  

1993: Depeche Mode's Martin Gore was arrested at the Denver Westin Hotel after refusing to turn down the volume of his music in his room.  

1993: "Timon of Athens" opens at Lyceum Theater NYC for 37 performances.  

1993: Elton John was awarded $518,700 from Sunday Mirror for a false report on his diet.  

1995: "Indiscretions" closes at Ethel Barrymore Theater NYC after 221 performances.  

1996: British girls group the Spice Girls release their debut album "Spice", goes on to sell 23 million copies.  

1997: Shania Twain released her third studio album Come On Over which became the best-selling country music album, by a female act. To date, the album has sold more than 40 million copies worldwide, shipped over 20 million copies in the United States, and in the UK it has sold over 3.3 million. Out of the album's 16 tracks, 12 were released as singles.  

1998: Fall singer Mark E. Smith appeared at Manhattan Criminal Court on assault charges accused of kicking, punching, and choking his girlfriend and band keyboard player Julia Nagle at a New York Hotel.  

1998: Oasis singer Liam Gallagher was arrested after an alleged drunken brawl with photographer Mel Bouzac at a London pub. Bouzac had been tipped off that Liam was in the pub wearing a Russian hat and attempted to take photos.  

2002: Elton John and his lyricist Bernie Taupin received the Music Industry Trusts Award for one of the greatest songwriting partnerships of all time.  

2003: "Shock'n Y'all" 8th studio album by Toby Keith is released (Billboard Album of the Year 2004)  

2007: The Eagles went to No.1 on the UK album chart with Long Road Out of Eden. It was the group's first full studio album since The Long Run in 1979 and became the highest-selling album of the year.  

2012: (Elton John). A copyright infringement lawsuit filed by songwriter Guy Hobbs against Elton John and his songwriting partner Bernie Taupin over their hit song 'Nikita' was thrown out of court. The Judge ruled that both songs shared similar themes and phrases, but that these were prevalent in modern music.  

2013: Rihanna joined The Beatles and Elvis Presley as one of just three acts to top the UK singles chart seven times over seven years. The singer made the No.1 spot, as the featured artist on Eminem's new track 'The Monster'.  

2015: Katy Perry is the highest-paid musician of the year, earning $135 million, according to Forbes Magazine. 

2018: Camila Cabello wins four awards at the MTV Europe Music Awards in Bilbao, Janet Jackson accepts the Global Icon award.  

2020: Bruce Springsteen was at No.1 on the UK album chart with his twentieth studio album Letter to You. Since touring was not possible due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the album was promoted with an online radio station. It features three tracks originally written prior to Springsteen's 1973 debut album, Greetings from Asbury Park, N. J.: 'If I Was the Priest,' 'Janey Needs a Shooter' and 'Song for Orphans.' Springsteen came across earlier recordings of these songs with John Hammond while assembling a compilation album.  

1640: Carlo Mannelli, an Italian composer, was born in Rome (d. 1697)  

1656: Leonard Sailer, a German composer, and organist was born in Ulm (d. after 1694)  

1674: Anton Englert, a German composer and organist, was born in Schweinfurt (d. 1751)  

1708: Robert Praelisauer, a German composer, music director, and priest, baptized in Kötzting, Electorate of Bavaria (now Bad Kötzting, Germany) (d. 1771)  

1740: Augustus Montague Toplady, an English hymn writer (Rock of Ages) was born in Farnham, Surrey, England (d. 1778)  

1800: Eduard Brendler, a Swedish composer, was born in Dresden, Germany (d. 1831)  

1823: Karel Komzák I, a Bohemian composer and musician, was born in Netěchovice, Czech Republic (d. 1893)  

1841: Carl Tausig, a Polish pianist, student and protégé of Liszt, and composer noted for his transcriptions, was born in Warsaw Poland (d. 1871)

1846: Gaston Serpette, a French composer, was born in Nantes, France (d. 1904)  

1859: Stanisław Niewiadomski, a Polish composer, was born in Soposzyn (d. 1936)  

1863: William Faulkes, an English organist, transcriber, and composer, was born in Liverpool on 4 November 1863 (d. 1933)  

1868: Carolina “La Belle” Otero, a Spanish actress, singer, and courtesan, born in Valga, Galicia, Spain (d. 1965)  

1872: Herman Finck, a British composer (In The Shadows) was born in London (d. 1939)  

1881: Gena Branscombe, a Canadian pianist, and composer was born in Picton, Ontario (d. 1977)  

1887: Knut Algot Håkanson, a Swedish composer, was born in Kinna, Sweden (d. 1929)  

1889: Alton Adams, an American composer (1st black bandmaster in the United States Navy) was born in St. Thomas, Virgin Islands (d. 1987)  

1891: Miroslav Krejčí, a Czech composer, was born in Rychnov nad Kněžnou, Austria-Hungary (d. 1964)  

1897: Oscar Lorenzo Fernández, a Brazilian conductor and composer (Imbapara) was born in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (d. 1948)  

1900: Luigi Lucioni, an Italian-American landscape painter (opera stars) was born in Malnate, Italy (d. 1988)  

1903: Ion Vasilescu, a Romanian composer, was born in Bucharest, Romania (d. 1960)  

1906: Arnold Cooke, a British composer, was born in Gomersal, West Yorkshire, England (d. 2005)  

1906: Siegfried Borris, a German composer, was born in Berlin, Germany (d. 1987)  

1911: Osamu Shimizu, a Japanese composer, was born in Osaka, Japan (d. 1986)  

1912: Vadim Nikolayevich Salmanov, a Russian composer, was born in St. Petersburg, Russia (d. 1978) 

1921: Antonio Ruiz Soler, a Spanish flamenco dancer, and choreographer was born in Seville, Spain (d. 1996)  

1922: Poul Rovsing Olsen, a Danish composer, was born in Copenhagen (d. 1982)  

1925: Kjerstin Dellert, a Swedish opera singer, was born in Stockholm Sweden (d. 2018)  

1927: Vittorio Fellegara, an Italian composer, was born in Milan Italy (d. 2011)  

1929: British pop singer Dickie Valentine enjoyed great popularity in Britain during the 1950s. In addition to several other Top Ten hit singles, Valentine had two chart-toppers on the UK Singles Chart with 'Finger of Suspicion' (1954) and the seasonal 'Christmas Alphabet' (1955) first Christmas song to reach the No.1 position. It was the first Christmas No.1 that was actually about Christmas, a trend that would continue off and on over the next several decades. He was killed instantly in a car crash on a single-lane bridge near Crickhowell, Wales on 6 May 1971, at the age of 41, together with pianist Sidney Boatman and drummer Dave Pearson, aged 42.  

1935: Elgar Howarth, an English conductor, and composer was born in Cannock, Staffordshire, England.  

1938: Harry Elson, The Friends Of Distinction, (1969 US No.3 single 'Grazing In The Grass').  

1940: Delbert McClinton, a US singer, songwriter, (1980 US No.8 single 'Giving It Up For Your Love'), worked with Bruce Channel, wrote 'Two More Bottles Of Wine' country No.1 for Emmylou Harris.  

1944: Willem Breuker, a Dutch saxophonist and conductor (WB Collective) was born in Amsterdam (d. 2010)  

1944: An American singer Sherri Payne is best known as the final lead singer of The Supremes from 1973 until 1977. Payne is the younger sister of singer Freda Payne.  

1947: Mike Smith from the Welsh rock group Amen Corner who had the 1969 UK No.1 single 'If Paradise Is Half As Nice' plus five other UK Top 40 hits.  

1954: English singer, musician, songwriter Chris Difford, who was a founding member of Squeeze. Some of their best-known songs are 'Tempted', 'Pulling Mussels (From the Shell)', 'Cool for Cats' and 'Up the Junction. Difford now works as a solo artist.  

1957: James Honeyman-Scott, with English-American rock band The Pretenders, who had the 1980 UK No.1 single with ‘Brass In Pocket’. He died on 16th June 1982 of heart failure caused by cocaine intolerance.  

1956: Jordan Rudess, an American progressive rock keyboardist (Dream Theater) was born in New York.  

1957: Najee [Jerome Najee Rasheed], an American jazz musician, was born in NYC, New York.  

1957: Elena Kats-Chernin, a Russian-Australian classical pianist and composer (Wild Swans) was born in Tashkent, USSR (now Uzbekistan).  

1960: Kim Forester, an American country singer (Forester Sisters - "Men") was born in Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia.  

1960: Frl. Menke, a German pop singer (Neue Deutsche Welle) was born in Hamburg, Germany.  

1961: Daron Hagen, an American composer, was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.  

1961: Les Sampou, an American folk singer-songwriter, was born in Norwalk, Connecticut.  

1961: Edward Knight, an American composer, was born in Ann Arbor, Michigan.  

1963: Marc Déry, a Canadian singer and guitarist (Zébulon) was born in Mascouche, Quebec.  

1963: Rosario Flores, a Spanish singer (Muchas Flores) and actress was born in Madrid Spain.  

1965: Gregory Scott [Koenig], an American guitarist (Signs of Life) was born in Dearborn, Michigan.  

1965: Pata [Tomoaki Ishizuka], a Japanese musician (X Japan) was born in Chiba, Japan.  

1965: Wayne Static [Wells], an American musician (Static-X) was born in Muskegon, Michigan (d. 2014)  

1966: Sam Rosenthal, an American electronic musician, and composer (Black Tape for a Blue Girl) was born in Brooklyn, New York.  

1966: Kool Rock, (Damon Wimbley), a rapper, The Fat Boys. (1988 UK No.2 single 'Wipe-out').  

1969: Sean John Combs, (aka, Puff Daddy & P Diddy), American record producer, clothing designer, and rapper. (1997 US & UK No.1 single with Faith Evans, 'I'll Be Missing You' is the most successful rap single of all time). Producer of MTV's Making the Band. Richest hip-hop entertainer as of 2007, having a net worth estimate of US $346 Million.  

1970: Malena Ernman, a Swedish opera singer, was born in Uppsala, Sweden.  

1971: An American singer, songwriter, and actor Gregory Porter. He won the 2014 Grammy Award for Best Jazz Vocal Album, Liquid Spirit.  

1974: Cedric Bixler-Zavala, an American musician (At the Drive-In, The Mars Volta) was born in Redwood City. California.  

1974: Louise Redknapp, from British R&B girl group Eternal who had the 1997 UK No.1 single 'I Wanna Be The Only One', and the 1993 UK No.2 album Always & Forever. They achieved 15 UK Top 20 hits between 1993 and 1999. She had the 1996 solo UK No.5 single 'Naked'.    

1975: Michael Osmond, an American singer (Osmond Boys) was born in Utah.  

1977: Kavana, singer, (1997 UK No.8 single 'I Can Make You Feel Good).

1986: Alexz Johnson, a Canadian singer, and actress was born in New Westminster, British Columbia.

1987: T.O.P. [Choi Seung-hyun], a Korean singer-songwriter (Big Bang) and actor, was born in Seoul, South Korea.

This will be my last post until further notice. I apologize to all the faithful readers of this post. Please take care and stay safe.

MOHLovesAlaska

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

No worries at all, @MOHLovesAlaska.

Thanks for sharing this information with us as always. 🤝

Hope all is well, and that we see you around soon! 

Happy New Year, I hope you all had a great Christmas. Without further ado here is This Day In The History Of Music to end the 2021 year. See you all in the shiny new year. 

1680: Amsterdam opera at Leidsegracht opens.

1879: Gilbert and Sullivan's comic opera "Pirates of Penzance" premieres in NYC.

1923: Harry Tierney and Joseph McCarthy's musical "Kid Boots," premieres in New York City.  

1955: "Vamp" closes at Winter Garden Theater NYC after 60 performances.  

1961: "Irma La Douce" closes at Plymouth Theater NYC after 527 performances.  

1961: The Beach Boys made their live debut using their new name when they appeared at Long Beach Civic Auditorium, California.  

1962: During his first visit to the UK Bob Dylan played at the King And Queen pub in London. Dylan had arrived in the UK on 17th Dec after British TV director Philip Saville had heard Dylan perform in Greenwich Village, and had invited him to take part in a BBC television drama: The Madhouse On Castle Street.  

1963: The Kinks made their live debut when they played at the Lotus House Restaurant, London. Now recognized as one of the most important and influential rock acts of the era, brothers Ray Davies and Dave Davies remained members throughout the group's 32-year run.  

1966: (Neil Diamond) The Monkees started a 7-week run at No.1 on the US singles charts with the Neil Diamond song 'I'm A Believer'. Also No.1 in the UK in 1967.  

1967: "Henry, Sweet Henry" closes at Palace Theater NYC after 80 performances. Henry, Sweet Henry is a musical with a book by Nunnally Johnson and music and lyrics by Bob Merrill. Based on the 1964 novel The World of Henry Orient by Johnson's daughter Nora and the subsequent film of the same name, the plot focuses on Valerie and Marian, two wealthy, love-struck teenagers who stalk an avant-garde composer and aging philanderer.  

1967: American songwriter and producer Bert Berns died of heart failure aged 38. He wrote many classic songs including 'Twist And Shout, 'Hang On Sloopy', ‘Here Comes the Night’, ‘I Want Candy’, ‘Under the Boardwalk’, ‘Everybody Needs Somebody to Love’, and 'Brown Eyed Girl'.  

1970: Paul McCartney filed a suit against the rest of The Beatles to dissolve their partnership. According to the court documents, McCartney's main reason for wanting to legally break up the group stemmed from the decision taken by the others to appoint Rolling Stones manager Allan Klein as their manager. McCartney didn't trust Klein and had wanted his new in-laws, Lee and John Eastman, to look after their affairs. The suit took more than four years of court hearings, with the group officially disbanding in January 1975.  

1973: Australian band AC/DC made their live debut when they appeared at Chequers Bar in Sydney.  

1974: Lindsey Buckingham & Stevie Nicks join Fleetwood Mac.  

1977: "Bubbling Brown Sugar" closes at ANTA Theater NYC after 766 performances.  

1977: "Man of La Mancha" closes at Palace Theater NYC after 124 performances.  

1978: "Magic Show" closes at Cort Theater NYC after 1859 performances.  

1978: "Runaways" closes at Plymouth Theater NYC after 199 performances.  

1978: The Runaways' band's last ever concert at Daly City, CA.'s Cow Palace.  

1979: David Bowie performed an acoustic version of 'Space Oddity on the UK TV Kenny Everett New Year's Show'. Bowie was also seen on the **ahem** Clark TV show in the US on this date, on his Salute To The Seventies.  

1979: Winterland Rock Concert Hall in San Francisco closes after 556 concerts.  

1980: Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band's "The River Tour" concert at Nassau Coliseum (Uniondale, New York) clocks in at almost 4 hours.  

1982: (Bruce Springsteen) Max's Kansas City in New York City closed down. The venue had been a launching pad for such artists as The New York Dolls, Bruce Springsteen, and The Velvet Underground. 

1984: Def Leppard drummer Rick Allen crashed his Corvette Stingray, on the A57 outside Sheffield, Allen lost his left arm in the accident. Allen was on his way to a New Year's Eve party at his family's home when a Jaguar passed him. The driver had been egging Allen on and would not allow him to pass. In his rage to pass this driver, he did not see a turn up ahead and lost control of his car. He was thrown from the car, with his left arm severed due to the seatbelt not being properly fastened.  

1985: Ricky Nelson was killed along with six others when his charted light aircraft crashed in Texas. It's rumored that freebasing cocaine caused an onboard explosion. Nelson had played himself on his parent's US TV The Adventures Of Ozzie and Harriet.' (1958 US No.1 'Poor Little Fool', 1961 UK No.2 single 'Hello Mary Lou' plus over 30 US Top 40 hit singles).  

1989: "Me & My Girl" closes at Marquis Theater NYC after 1420 performances. Me and My Girl was a musical with music by Noel Gay and its original book and lyrics by Douglas Furber and L. Arthur Rose. The musical is set in the late 1930s and tells the story of an unapologetically unrefined cockney gentleman named Bill Snibson, who learns that he is the 14th heir to the Earl of Hareford.  

1989: "Threepenny Opera" closes at Lunt-Fontanne Theater NYC after 65 performances.  

1991: (Nirvana) Pearl Jam, Nirvana, and the Red Hot Chili Peppers all appeared on the same bill at the Cow Palace, San Francisco, California.  

1993: Barbra Streisand does her 1st live public concert in 20 years.  

1995: "Danny Gans on Broadway" closes at Neil Simon NYC.  

1995: "Having Our Say" closes at Booth Theater NYC after 308 performances.  

1995: "Heiress" closes at Cort Theater NYC after 340 performances.  

1995: "Paul Robson" closes at Longacre Theater NYC after 14 performances.  

1995: "Racing Demon" closes at Vivian Beaumont Theater NYC after 48 performances.  

1995: "Tempest" closes at Broadhurst Theater NYC after 71 performances.  

1996: Paul McCartney became a Sir after he was listed in the Queen's New Year's Honours List.  

1999: The Manic Street Preachers performed to 57,000 fans at the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff. The Guinness Book of Records confirmed that the concert set a new record as the biggest indoor show ever staged in Europe, tickets £30.  

2000: Janet Jackson's estranged husband filed a lawsuit against the singer claiming that Jackson, who had sold more than 40 million records, promised to share equally any assets acquired after their relationship began in 1987.  

2003: Kevin MacMichael, guitarist with Cutting Crew died of lung cancer aged 51. (1987 US No.1 & 1986 UK No.4 single 'I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight'). Also worked with Robert Plant and The Rankin Family.  

2004: Pete Waterman was awarded an OBE for his services to music. Once part of the Stock, Aitken & Waterman team he also booked the first-ever tour for The Bay City Rollers, signed Musical Youth and Nik Kershaw during the ’70s, and was promotion consultant for John Travolta. Waterman had written and produced more than 200 hit singles in 25 years for acts from Kylie Minogue to Steps.  

2005: The John Lennon song Imagine was voted the nation's favorite song a quarter of a century after his death. A UK radio station conducted a poll of 7,000 listeners. The Beatles were voted into second and third place with ‘Hey Jude’ and 'Let It Be.'  

2005: (James Blunt) According to official figures singer-songwriter James Blunt's 'Back To Bedlam was the biggest selling UK album of 2005. The former soldier, who was virtually unknown this time last year, outsold Coldplay's album 'X&Y' which finished second and Robbie Williams came in third place with ‘Intensive Care’ album. The rest of the Top 10: No.4. Kaiser Chiefs - ‘Employment’, 5. Gorillaz - ‘Demon Days’, 6. Westlife - ‘Face To Face, 7. KT Tunstall - ‘Eye To The Telescope’, 8. Kelly Clarkson - ‘Breakaway’, 9. Faithless - ‘Forever Faithless - The Greatest Hits’ and No.10, Eminem - ‘Curtain Call - The Hits’.  

2006: George Michael was paid a reported £1.5m for an hour's concert at a Russian billionaire's New Year party. The unnamed businessman paid for Michael to entertain his 300 guests on his private estate 20 miles outside Moscow. Michael had just finished the British leg of his Twentyfive tour which included a free concert for nurses in London.  

2009: (Status Quo) Rick Parfitt and Francis Rossi from Status Quo were both appointed OBEs for services to music and charity.  

2012: (John Lennon & Eric Clapton) A draft of a letter John Lennon wrote to Eric Clapton on Sept. 29, 1971, asking him to collaborate on a musical project sold for $35,000 at an auction. Still, in pristine condition, the letter was originally estimated to fetch somewhere between $20,000 and $30,000.  

2015: American singer, songwriter Natalie Cole died aged 65 due to congestive heart failure. The daughter of Nat 'King' Cole, she had the 1989 UK No.2 single 'Miss You Like Crazy, and the hits 'This Will Be', 'Inseparable', and 'Our Love'. In the 1990s, she re-recorded standards by her father, resulting in her biggest success, Unforgettable... with Love, which sold over seven million copies and also won Cole numerous Grammy Awards.  

1573: Giulio Cesare Monteverdi, an Italian composer (Giulio Cesare in Egitto) was born in Italy (d. 1630 or 31)  

1724: Franz Joseph Oehlschlagel, Czech organist & composer, was born in Lahošť, Czech Republic (d. 1788)  

1799: Thomas Taglichsbeck, a German violinist & composer, was born in Ansbach, Germany (d. 1867) 

1826: Henry Hiles, an English composer, was born in Shrewsbury (d. 1904)  

1846: Richard Kleinmichel, a Russian composer, was born in Poznań, Poland (d. 1901)  

1859: Max Fiedler, a German conductor, and composer was born in Zittau, Saxony, (d. 1939)  

1874: Ernest Austin, an English composer, was born in Poplar, London (d. 1947)  

1894: Ernest John Moeran, an English composer, was born in London Borough of Hounslow, United Kingdom (d. 1950)  

1899: Silvestre Revueltas, a Mexican composer (Sensemaya) was born in Santiago Papasquiaro, Mexico (d. 1940)  

1902: Lionel Daunais, a Quebec singer and composer, was born in Montreal, Quebec (d. 1982)  

1904: Nathan Milstein, Ukrainian-American concert violinist (Philadelphia Orch 1942) was born in Odesa, Ukraine  

1905: Jule Styne, English songwriter & composer (1954 Acad Award, 1968 Tony) was born in London, United Kingdom (d. 1994)  

1908: Marko Rothmuller, a Croatian composer, was born in Slavonski Brod, Croatia (d. 1993)  

1908: John Kirby [Kirk], an American jazz double-bassist and tuba player (Benny Goodman; "Undecided") was born in Winchester, Virginia (d. 1952)  

1916: Suzy Delair, French actress, and singer (The Murderer Lives at Number 21, Utopia, White Paws) was born in Paris, France (d. 2020)  

1917: Joan McCracken, American actress, dancer, and comedian (Claudie Story of a Marriage) was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (d. 1961)  

1920: Rex Allen, an American actor and singer-songwriter known as the "the Arizona Cowboy" (Dr. Baxter-Frontier Doctor) was born in Willcox, Arizona (d. 1999)  

1925: Jaap Schröder, a Dutch violinist, conductor, musicologist, and pedagogue ( Academy of Ancient Music) was born in Amsterdam (d. 2020)  

1928: Ross Barbour, an American singer (4 Freshmen) was born in Columbus, Indiana (d. 2011)  

1930: American singer, actress, guitarist, songwriter, and civil and human rights activist Odetta. She influenced many of the key figures of the folk revival of that time, including Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, Mavis Staples, and Janis Joplin. Time magazine included her song 'Take This Hammer' on its list of the 100 Greatest Popular Songs. Martin Luther King Jr. called her the queen of American folk music. Odetta died on 2 December 2008 at age 77.  

1931: Gil Mellé, an American jazz saxophonist and composer, was born in New York City (d. 2004)  

1933: Fred F. Carter Jr., an American country session guitarist, singer, producer, and composer (Nashville's "A-Team") was born in Winnsboro, Louisiana (d. 2010)  

1940: Mani Neumeier, a German musician (Guru Guru) was born in Munich, Germany.  

1940: Bobby Notkoff, American rock and blues violinist (Crazy Horse; The Rockets) was born in New York City (d. 2018)  

1942: English guitarist Andy Summers, The Police who scored the 1983 UK & US No.1 single 'Every Breath You Take', plus four other UK No.1 singles. Their second album Reggatta de Blanc became the first of five consecutive UK No. 1 albums and The Police won six Grammy Awards and two Brit Awards. Summers has composed music for films including 2010, Down and Out in Beverly Hills, The Wild Life, and Weekend at Bernie's.  

1943: Pete Quaife, an English rock bassist (The Kinks) was born in Tavistock, England (d. 2010)  

1943: Henry John Deutschendorf, (John Denver), singer, songwriter. 1974 UK & US No.1 single 'Annie's Song'. Was killed in a plane crash on 12th October 1997.  

1947: Burton Cummings singer and songwriter from the Canadian rock band Guess Who who had the 1970 US No.1 & UK No.19 single 'American Woman'.  

1947: Rita Lee [Jones], a Brazilian rock singer, songwriter, and musician (Os Mutantes) was born in São Paulo, Brazil.  

1947: June Tabor, a British folk singer, was born in Warwick, England.  

1948: US singer Donna Summer, (1977 UK No.1 single 'I Feel Love' 1979 US No.1 & UK No.11 single 'Hot Stuff, over 25 other top 40 hits). Summer became the first act to be signed by David Geffen to his new Geffen record label. She died on May 17, 2012, at her home in Naples, Florida at the age of 63. She was diagnosed with lung cancer not related to smoking.  

1948: Stephen Cleobury, a British organist, and music director (King's College - Cambridge, 1982-2019) was born in Bromley, England (d. 2019)  

1949: Sara K. [Sara Katherine Wooldridge], an American musician (Gypsy Alley) was born in Dallas, Texas.  

1951: Fermin Goytisolo, singer with American disco and funk group KC and the Sunshine Band who had the 1975 US No.1 single 'That's The Way, I Like It', and the 1983 UK No.1 single 'Give It Up'.  

1951: Tom Hamilton, American rock bassist (Aerosmith - "Dream On") was born in Colorado Springs, Colorado.  

1953: Michael Hedges, an American new age guitarist, and composer was born in Sacramento, California (d. 1997)  

1959: Paul Westerberg, an American rock singer-songwriter and guitarist (The Replacements) was born in Edina, Minnesota.  

1959: Baron Waqa, a Nauruan politician and musician, was born in Boe District, Nauru.  

1960: Paul Westerberg, lead singer, guitarist, and songwriter from American rock band The Replacements, released the 1984 album Let It Be. Initially a punk rock band, they are considered pioneers of alternative rock.  

1961: Scott Taylor, guitarist with English rock band Then Jerico who had the 1989 UK No.13 single 'Big Area'. He died on 27 April 2020 at the age of 58 from a brain tumor.  

1962: Jennifer Higdon, an American classical music composer (2010 Pulitzer; 3 Grammy Awards) and educator (Curtis Institute of Music, 1994 - present) was born in Brooklyn, New York.  

1963: Scott Ian, an American heavy metal guitarist (Anthrax-I'm the Man) was born in Queens, New York.  

1969: David Rawlings, an American guitarist, and singer, works with Gillian Welch (All the Good Times) was born in North Smithfield, Rhode Island.  

1970: Danny McNamara, singer from English alternative rock band Embrace, had the 2006 UK No. 2 single ‘Natures Law’, the 2006 UK No.1 album This New Day, and two other UK No.1 albums.  

1972: Joey McIntrye, from American boy band New Kids On The Block, who had the 1989 UK No.1 single 'You Got It, The Right Stuff', and the 1990 US No.1 single 'Step By Step'. They enjoyed success in the late 1980s and early 1990s and have sold more than 80 million records worldwide.  

1973: Malcolm Middleton, a Scottish musician (Arab Strap) was born in Dumfries, United Kingdom.  

1977: (Psy) South Korean singer, songwriter, rapper, dancer, record producer, and television personality, PSY, (born Park Jae-sang) who had 2012 internationally hit single 'Gangnam Style.'

1978: Papoose [Shamele Mackie], an American rapper, was born in Brooklyn, New York. 1978: Tom Hamilton Jr., an American songwriter, guitarist, producer, and singer (Brothers Past; American Babies; Billy & the Kids) was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

1979: Bob Bryar, drummer, with American rock band My Chemical Romance who had the 2006 UK No.1 single ‘Welcome to the Black Parade’, and the 2006 US No.2 album The Black Parade.

Have a great Happy and safe New Year. Take care and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska

UncleBud
Chart Topper

@MOHLovesAlaska Nice post. I'll have to tell my youngest sister that Joey McIntrye birthday is today. I remember taking her to a NKOTB concert as a gift way back in the day.