cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(RESOLVED): We couldn't start the selected station error message 11/16/2022

maclain32h
Local Performer

I am having a similar issue.  I am on a windows computers, using a web browser (chrome) and whenever i try to play something it says "We couldn't start the selected station. We started playing your last station instead." yet nothing plays.  I have tried multiple stations and songs and i get the same message every time i click something.

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Pandora Update - 11/16/22:

Hi, everyone!

We are aware that some of you may be seeing the "We couldn't start the selected station..." error message.

We believe this issue has now been resolved. If you're still having trouble, please try out the troubleshooting steps for your specific browser / Pandora Desktop app. 

Web Browser Troubleshooting:

++

Pandora Desktop App Troubleshooting:

Let us know if you continue to experience issues.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

20 Replies

csf333
Underground

not really sure what's going on with the desktop app, or browser player either, but neither one seems to be working now. can't seem to shuffle stations anymore. so... lemme see, that's TWO issues regarding shuffle now that no longer works. basically gave up trying to get all collected songs to shuffle months ago, now this problem just started

could an admin plz tell me... why i should keep shelling out $9.99 a month for this app that proves itself to continually turn out to be constant garbage? it's very disheartening & disappointing, considering i've been paying this amount every month now since 2016

0 Kudos

dcltdw
Local Performer

iPhone app is working for me, but not desktop (MacOS & Chrome, both up to date).

0 Kudos

dcltdw
Local Performer

I also tried MacOS app; also fails to load in a similar way.

Support peeps - any ETA on a fix, please?

0 Kudos

dcltdw
Local Performer

oh yay, now working again.  For future reference: downtime was about an hour.

0 Kudos

Music2022
Local Performer

I am unable to listen the any station. I receive the following message..."could not start the selected station." Please advise.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@maclain32h I moved your post over to the Desktop space.

I've enabled a trace on your account to help us better understand what's happening.

For this trace to be useful, we'll need you to run through our troubleshooting steps here: Chrome Troubleshooting

Let me know if you continue to experience issues after completing those steps.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Music2022 Could you tell me a bit more about what is happening? Are you listening to Pandora on a computer or on a device?

1. If you are on a computer, are you listening from:
    • A Mac or Windows computer?
    • Our website, or the desktop app? If you're listening from our website, what browser are you using?
  2. If you are on a device, what is the make and model (and carrier, if applicable)?
  3. Can you provide me with a screenshot of what you're seeing?

(Please note you won't be able to attach images via email - you will need to open this Community link in a web browser in order to provide attachments)

Thanks for working with me on this. 🤝

0 Kudos

gator6450
Local Performer

Same exact issue.  No music.  Only get this message "We couldn't start the selected station. We started playing your last station instead" but no music is playing.  I have not changed anything.  Trying to play from my Mac home computer.  I can get Pandora to play in another part of our house thru Alexa, but cannot get it to play on my Mac in our home office.  What changed and how do I fix it????

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@gator6450 Could you tell me a bit more about what is happening?

1. If you are on a computer, are you listening from:
    • Our website, or the desktop app? If you're listening from our website, what browser are you using?
  2. Can you provide me with a screenshot of the error message you're seeing?

Thanks for working with me on this.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Pandora Update - 11/16/22:

Hi, everyone!

We are aware that some of you may be seeing the "We couldn't start the selected station..." error message.

We believe this issue has now been resolved. If you're still having trouble, please try out the troubleshooting steps for your specific browser / Pandora Desktop app. 

Web Browser Troubleshooting:

++

Pandora Desktop App Troubleshooting:

Let us know if you continue to experience issues.

Thanks!

GeraldPandora
Pandora Moderator - Emeritus
Pandora Moderator - Emeritus

Hey @csf333 & @dcltdw 👋

Thanks for reporting this! I moved your post onto a related thread under Desktop: We couldn't start the selected station error message

We are aware that some folks are having issues with their Pandora using a desktop computer due to an outage.

However, we believe this issue has now been resolved. If you're still having trouble please check out the accepted solution that @AdamPandora has posted for some basic troubleshooting steps to help you get back to your music.

Hope this helps! 🎧

Gerald | Community Moderator
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Follow us on Twitter @ PandoraSupport
0 Kudos

Materdaddy
Underground

I still cannot start any stations. I am using chrome on linux, have cleared cookies, browser data for pandora.com and re-logged in. As others have stated, I can load the page, but no stations will start/play.

I disabled uBlock as a test, and check the console and there are tons of errors displayed.

Materdaddy_0-1668628748971.png

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Materdaddy To clarify, are you still seeing the We couldn't start the selected station error message, or is the issue that when you click on a station, nothing plays?

Let me know.

0 Kudos

Materdaddy
Underground

The error I get is: "We couldn't start the selected station. We started playing your last station instead."  However nothing plays, not even my last station.

0 Kudos

Materdaddy
Underground

@AdamPandora Mobile app still works, but the Chrome browser page is still not working for me.

0 Kudos

Materdaddy
Underground

More strange behavior:

1. In an incognito tab I can play stations.
  2. I am still unable to play a station after having cleared all cookies, site data, and disabling all extensions that I can (I'm attempting playback on a work machine that forces some chrome extensions even in a personal profile).
  3. I can play music in a work profile tab with those same extensions forced on.
  4. I can play a playlist, but not a station.
0 Kudos

Materdaddy
Underground

Everything seems to be working today!

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Materdaddy Glad to hear things are back up and running again.

If this continues to be an issue down the line, please make sure to reach back out to us and let us know.

Thanks for listening!

mmays77
Local Performer

I am receiving the message "We couldn't start the selected station. We started playing your last station instead.". 2/26/2024. I tried to select an artist on Android, it would not display the artist name. I switched to my desktop computer and selected Chrome browser on Ubuntu, which I have been using to listen to Pandora for many years, got the above message. I switched to Firefox, which never logged into Pandora, same message. In both Chrome and Firefox, it plays a station that I was using in my car on Android this afternoon. On Opera it does not work at all.

0 Kudos