cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 Desktop App: High CPU / Memory Usage

DMan725
Local Performer

I've noticed latley when I use the pandora application from the windows store on my laptop, the fans got louder. I checked the task manager and Pandora uses around 500MB of memory, and it's power usage trend says very high. It even says it uses 5% of GPU. Why would pandora need to use my GPU? It uses more resources than chrome. Is this normal?

mod edit: changed title for clarity

Labels (2)
13 Replies

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey, @DMan725. 👋

I haven't seen any other complaints similar to yours in the Pandora community.

In the meantime, I've enabled a trace on your account to see how the desktop app is functioning on your computer.

Would you mind running through these steps while I have the trace enabled?

Let me know if this helps. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024
0 Kudos

RahulS
Underground

Was there ever a resolution to the above problem? I am having the same issue. I can open a new thread, if needed. Thanks.

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @RahulS. 👋

Thanks so much for reporting this. I've enabled a trace on your Pandora account.

First, try resetting the Pandora app from the Help menu (not to worry, we'll keep track of your profile and collection for you). Press Alt on your keyboard to bring up a menu options at the top of the page, then select Help and Reset App Data.

If you're still having issues, try uninstalling and reinstalling using the following steps:

1. Locate Pandora in your Start Menu, and right-click to reveal an additional menu. Select Uninstall from the dropdown menu. From there, select Pandora from the list and confirm by selecting Uninstall once more.
  2. Next, find our app in the Windows Store on your device. Search for Pandora in the upper right corner and click or tap Get to re-install.

Please note that downloading any application on your devices requires a Microsoft account and password, and it may be a different email address and password than those on your Pandora account.

Also, we do not support Pandora on unofficial OS releases, like preview or developer builds. We only support Pandora on configurations that we have fully tested, so as to ensure the application will work correctly and not cause any problems with functions of the device.

Let me know how it goes, and whether this helps. 🎧

Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
0 Kudos

RahulS
Underground

Hi Alyssa,

Thanks for your reply. I tried the above steps, along with clearing the cache, but am still facing the same issue. As I type this, my Pandora CPU usage is fluctuating between 2.6%-4.7% while minimized and 11%-16% when open. There were some spikes up to the mid 20% range when open. RAM usage is stable around 345 MB. GPU usage is around 7.2% when open and 0 when minimized. It actually seems to be slightly worse following the reinstallation.

What should I try next?

Thanks,

Rahul

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@RahulS Thanks for sharing those details.

• What is the model of your computer?
  • Network (Wi-Fi or 3G/4G/LTE);
  • Pandora version (under Pandora Settings on the bottom left);
  • Windows version & build;
  • Are there any error messages? If so, what do they say?
  • Are you able to stream Pandora normally through a web browser like Chrome or Firefox?
  • Also, are you running a Preview Build of Windows? If so, are you in the fast ring or slow ring?
0 Kudos

RahulS
Underground

Hi Alyssa,

Sorry for the delay. Here are the details you requested:

• Lenovo X1 Carbon
  • Wi-Fi
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, build 18363)
  • No error messages
  • No issues streaming in Chrome
  • Not on a preview build

Thanks.

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing those details, @RahulS.

I'll be sure to pass this info along to the appropriate party. 👍

0 Kudos

RahulS
Underground

Thanks!

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@RahulS No problem!

Thanks for your patience as our engineers look into this. 🤝

0 Kudos

Lanik42
Local Performer

Pandora consistently uses high CPU and RAM in the Windows 10 desktop app.

Pandora overall using a consistent 6-9% of my CPU, and around 600-700MB of memory.  This is development system, and not even my IDEs use that much unless I'm actively working with them.  

PC specs:

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz, 1992 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @Lanik42. 👋

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I moved your post over to this existing thread to keep the community space organized: Windows 10 Desktop App: High CPU / Memory Usage

I've enabled a trace on your Pandora account. Would you mind running through the steps from my post here?

You can also find those steps on our Help site here: Desktop App Troubleshooting

Let me know how it goes. 🎧

0 Kudos

Lanik42
Local Performer

Hi Alyssa,

Thanks for the response.  I closed the app, restarted it, and reset the app data as requested.  I then logged back into my account.  CPU usage is now trending closer to 10-13% now, but I assume that may be trace related.

Let me know if there is any further information you need.

Thanks

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Lanik42 Thanks so much for providing that information. I've shared your feedback and experience with our engineering team on your behalf. 🎧

0 Kudos