cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ideas: Blocking / Muting Artists & Genres

Ideas: Blocking / Muting Artists & Genres

bjoyce2
Opening Act

New Feature Idea: Create Rules about what bands you never want to hear.  If I select a Genre but there are certain bands I never want to hear, there should be a way to create a rule. i.e. I select the 70's Rock Genre but I never want to hear any music from Sting, Rush, Styx, Journey, Kiss, etc.  then allow me to create a rule eliminating them fron the selection algorithm.

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

Labels (1)
175 Comments
caldella
Diamond in the Rough

Not sure what these last few posts are about - the specific feature request for this thread is actually for the user to have control and choose specific artists they don't want to hear. This is not about Pandora's overall site.

Misscollin
Local Performer

I really want to be able to block artists who have different political affiliations. I don’t support conservative artists. I feel like if I pay for this premium service I should be able to CHOOSE who I don’t want to stream. MY MUSIC MY CHOICE. 

CoDofWar69
Local Performer

Pandora!! Listen to this! This would be exceptional! I have many artists I wanna mute on my account and it would be so much easier to say "I don't like this artist at all" and thumbs down all their stuff at once. It's a pain when you're constantly getting an artist you hate and all you can do is keep thumbs downing their **ahem**

Dissident
Opening Act

I can't find a way to verify, but I think that my Pandora account is over 20 years old. Pretty sure I created my account when Pandora was brand new. And I definitely remember people asking for the ability to block artists even way back then.

The advice given at the time was to thumbs-down several of the artist's tracks, and hopefully the algorithm will learn that you don't want to hear that artist at all anymore.

I don't think it works. And if you do it, you're also telling the algorithm that you don't want to hear those types of tracks in general. So, if you're like me and you absolutely hate certain bands just for their lyrics but not their music, per se, thumbing-down their tracks will have undesired consequences.

Bottom line, Pandora is absolutely immune to user requests. I'm sorry, but it's true. Banning artists is one of the most obvious capabilities a service like this could have, and yet they refuse to implement it. Don't wait for it. They never will.

BlueHeartsBelle
Local Performer

I love listening to the Christmas music playlist I have, however hearing a Michael Buble cover always ruins my mood, no offense to anyone that likes his music, I just prefer the classics that I grew up with! This feature would be a skip saver

Dissident
Opening Act

Again, they will N-E-V-E-R implement the ability to ban artists. Did you read my post above? This feature is not only an obvious necessity, it has been requested and ignored for over two decades. Accept its absence or move on.

newworlds43
Local Performer

While I appreciate Pandora’s open-minded ideals with regard to music, I would love the ability to block or mute an artist to whom I truly do not want to listen. For example, I listen to some rap/hip hop stations, and I wish I had a way to ensure the music of a certain rapper who made some horrifying statements earlier today never played on any of my stations again. I consider this a matter not just of taste, but of sheer ethics, depending on the situation.

kadess26
Local Performer

I would like to block all music from Kanye West, how do I do this? Or will he be eventually removed from pandora? As much as I love listening to pandora, his platform has no place anywhere. How can this be fixed? Thank you.

dsnyder
Local Performer

@kadess26You can't. And when there's an artist who they benefit from playing you over and over again Pandora's thumbs down feature doesn't work either. This thread (and specific block artist feature request) has been going on for sometime now, maybe several years. Falls on deaf ears.

gellenburg
Local Performer

The fact this isn't a standard feature is having me second-guess continuing my subscription.