cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ideas: Higher Audio Quality

Ideas: Higher Audio Quality

pboser
Underground

How about higher audio quality?  Amazon has introduced this feature, and others have been ahead of Pandora as well.  It would be great to have the Genome Project advantage with higher audio quality.  Do others agree?

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

Labels (1)
318 Comments
chulohock
Underground
On the Google Play store it's showing as the number one top grossing for music and audio. Seems to me they're not having a revenue problem. Of course, we know that we are a minority when it comes to wanting higher quality sound out of the Pandora app. It may explain why even Spotify, after announcing lossless, decided not even to move forward with it and hopes that it's listeners will just stop with the high-res music request. Millions of listeners to these apps and most of them can care less or even notice that it sounds bad. I'm still exploring it, but of late I've been listening to the Tidal app on Android. I'll see where this leads me.

Get Outlook for Android<>
chulohock
Underground
Trevor1
On the Rise

I think since it’s 2024, Pandora could at the very least offer the 320 kbps which Spotify offers. Spotify is still indicating that lossless is still coming at some point. 320 kbps is absolutely a reasonable expectation for a music streaming service in 2024. 

Tred
Local Performer
I totally agree with you. Just seems like it will never happen..
EmperorJJ1
On the Rise

@chulohock one thing to keep in mind is on the google play store all services with the exception of youtube music (since its owned by google) pay up to 30% to google. in comparison youtube music on the google play store or apple music on the App store have up to a 30% bonus on revenues out the gate. Its really the people who subscribe via the individual services websites and the like that are keeping the lights on.

cunruh
Local Performer

I've been with Pandora for several years and have really enjoyed the several "stations" we've created.  We've ended up purchasing CD of artists we've discovered through Pandora and are currently on the Pandora Plus subscription which streams at only 128kbps.  It is my understanding that "Premium" offers more flexibility but does not offer a higher quality of audio.  What has caused us to reconsider our Pandora account is that those CDs of the same tacks we discovered on Pandora are so superior in audio quality that we now realize just how much of the music we've been missing.  In short we really dumbed down our level of expectation as a result and now realize what we've been missing and just what our HiFi system is actually capable of providing in quality sound. We now have an Amazon Music account and greatly appreciate the high fidelity of the flac files there.  Pandora really needs to "up their game" or they are going to lose accounts like mine.  I would happily pay $12-$15 monthly for music in a lossless format.

samsplace
Local Performer
Yes, 👍 agree. We have a nice system but CD and blue ray sound so much
better. We are probably as well dropping Pandora and going with Amazon, I
like Pandora's algorithm for the music we listen to but we will get used to
something else
chulohock
Underground
I listen to Amazon Music HD from an Android device connected to a USB DAC dongle and it sounds fantastic. It even sounds great through my Bluetooth headphones that employ the Qualcomm aptX Adaptive and LDAC codecs, which my phone is able to take advantage of.

I've tried Apple Music, Qobuz and Tidal. To these ears, Amazon Music HD sounds the best, with no need for any special equipment.

I love Folk, Blues, Roots and Americana genres and Amazon Music provides plenty of great curated playlists that satisfies my appetite for these musical styles and where I've been able discover new artists.