cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Challenge #7: The 1990s Era

Pandora

90s era.png

Popular music in the 1990s saw the continuation of teen pop and dance-pop trends which had emerged in the 1970s and 1980s. Furthermore, hip hop grew and continued to be highly successful in the decade, with the continuation of the genre's golden age. Aside from rap, reggae, contemporary R&B, and urban music, in general, remained extremely popular throughout the decade; urban music in the late-1980s and 1990s often blended with styles such as soul, funk, and jazz, resulting in fusion genres such as new jack swing, neo-soul, hip hop soul and g-funk which were popular.

Similarly to the 1980s, rock music was also very popular in the 1990s, yet, unlike the new wave and the glam metal-dominated scene of the time, grunge, Britpop, industrial rock and other alternative rock music emerged and took over as the most popular of the decade, as well as punk rock, ska-punk, and nu-metal, amongst others, which attained a high level of success at different points throughout the years.

Electronic music, which had risen in popularity in the 1980s, grew highly popular in the 1990s; house and techno from the 1980s rose to international success in this decade, as well as new electronic dance music genres such as Rave, happy hardcore, drum and bass, intelligent dance and trip-hop. In Europe, Techno, Rave, and Reggae music were highly successful, while also finding some international success. The decade also featured the rise of contemporary country music as a major genre, which had started in the 1980s.

The 1990s also saw a resurgence of older styles in new contexts, including third wave ska and swing revival, both of which featured a fusion of horn-based music with rock music elements.

• Q: Favorite 90s rock song?
    • A: 
  • Q: Favorite 90s punk song?
    • A: 
  • Q: Favorite pop songs of the 90s?
    • A:
    • A:
  • Q: Favorite solo artist song of the 90s?
    • A:
  • Q: Favorite band/group song of the 90s?
    • A:
  • Q: Favorite R&B song of the 90s?
    • A: 
    • A: 
  • Q: Favorite hip-hop songs of the 90s?
    • A: 
    • A: 
  • Q: Favorite country song of the 90s?
    • A: 
  • Q: Favorite 90s song from a movie soundtrack?
    • A: 
Tags (1)
7 Replies

bp4437
Opening Act

bp4437 great choices, some good songs and artist. This music challenge looks real challenging to say the least. ErickPandora and the rest of the Pandora gang put together some good ?'s. You take care and stay safe.

MOHLovesAlaska

ktorster
On the Rise

ktorster great choices. I am hoping I can get some time over the weekend to complete mine. Take care and stay safe.

MOHLovesAlaska

MOHLovesAlaska

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager
Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

AlyssaPandora ..great songs, great choices. I do have "Don't Speak" and I also have "Kiss Me". I think I am going to get "Wide Open Spaces" I do like that song. And see AlyssaPandora, that wasn't so hard to do, now was it?...just teasing....great choices. You take care and stay safe.                  

MOHLovesAlaska