cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Banning Remixed or Live Version of Songs

Chelc6
Local Performer

If I were to downvote an acoustic or remix to a song I actually like will that keep pandora from playing there original song?

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Chelc6 If you Thumb Down a live or remixed version of a song, you will not hear that version again on the station you're listening to.

This will not keep the studio version of that track from playing and doesn't necessarily mean that you will no longer hear other songs by that artist.

As always, you should use your Thumb ratings freely to tell Pandora what you want and don't want to hear.

Thanks for being a part of the community! 🎧

View solution in original post

70 Replies

RyanKuc2019
Opening Act

If I ban a edited or live version of a song on Pandora will the studio version still play or does banning the edited or live version also ban the studio version?

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@RyanKuc2019 I moved your post over to My Collection to keep the community organized.

We don't currently have the option to filter out certain versions of tracks, such as remixes or live recordings on Pandora stations.

You can vote for this existing feature request here.

In the meantime, if you Thumb Down a live or remixed version of a song, you will not hear that version again on the station you're listening to. This will not keep the studio version of that track from playing and doesn't necessarily mean that you will no longer hear other songs by that artist. As always, you should use your Thumb ratings freely to tell Pandora what you want and don't want to hear.

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Pandora AMP is at SXSW '24 this week. Come say hi!
0 Kudos

RyanKuc2019
Opening Act

Thanks for the information

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Chelc6 If you Thumb Down a live or remixed version of a song, you will not hear that version again on the station you're listening to.

This will not keep the studio version of that track from playing and doesn't necessarily mean that you will no longer hear other songs by that artist.

As always, you should use your Thumb ratings freely to tell Pandora what you want and don't want to hear.

Thanks for being a part of the community! 🎧

Tournxg
Local Performer
While some remixes are good, most, to me, are not. It would be awesome to have a feature where you could either select the original song for play, or the remix. This would allow to keep the remixes you like, while keeping the originals you like as well.

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Tournxg I moved your post to this thread to keep the community tidy.

While this is not currently an option, I recommend creating a feature request for your suggestion as I'm sure other listeners would be interested in seeing that added as well. 

In the meantime, I provided some helpful information in my message above on how you can use thumbs ratings to prevent remixed versions of songs from playing on your stations.

Thanks for being a part of the community! 

0 Kudos

rafigomes
Local Performer

Sometimes I like the live version of a song better than the studio recording, or vice versa. Sometimes I love a song when it's done by one artist but I really don't like another artists version of the same exact song. 

I don't want to thumbs down the song because I enjoy it when it's the version that I actually like and I don't want pandora to think that I don't like that song, when really, I just don't like that version...

I wish there was a way to indicate this. Mayb

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@rafigomes I moved your post to this thread to keep the community tidy.

Check out the accepted solution to this thread for more information around using the thumbs down feature on alternate versions of songs.

Hope this helps! 

0 Kudos

andywhatley
Local Performer

I have been a pro "paid" user for a long time and I wanted to share my opinion. I hate (strong word) re-edited versions of songs. I would rather not hear the song at all if it is not the original. Many feel this way. Why can you not offer a feature to exclude re-edited versions and maybe live versions?

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @andywhatley, thanks for posting!

When you say re-edited do you mean, censored songs or rereleased songs?

I do know there is a feature request for excluding live songs. You can find it here: Exclude Live Performance Versions of Songs

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

andywhatley
Local Performer

Just re-released but only if re-recorded by only a portion of original members. In other words, songs that were re-done for streaming and not the original recordings. I don't care about censoring one way or the other. Thanks for replying.

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Oh, I see what you mean @andywhatley. Thanks for the clarification. 👍🏻

I'd recommend visiting our Feature Request board with this suggestion. You can either post a new message for this idea or expand on the current idea for live version here: Exclude Live Performance Versions of Songs

Thanks for being part of community! 🎧

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

jaredbird
Local Performer

Is there an option to disable cover songs? For example, I like Garth Brooks and would like to hear his songs, but not his songs being played/covered by "Books Jefferson"... I feel like if I click the thumbs down for Brooks Jefferson, it will also think I dont like Garth Brooks songs, since they are very similar...

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@jaredbird I moved your post to this thread since you have a similar question.

We don't currently have the option to filter out certain versions of tracks, such as covers or live recordings on Pandora stations.

However, if you Thumb Down a cover or remixed version of a song, you will not hear that version again on the station you're listening to. This will not keep the studio version of that track from playing and doesn't necessarily mean that you will no longer hear other songs by that artist. As always, you should use your Thumb ratings freely to tell Pandora what you want and don't want to hear.

In the meantime, make sure to give this existing feature request a ❤️ to express your interest in getting it added to the service as well: Exclude Live Performance/Remixed Versions of Songs

Hope this helps! 😁

0 Kudos

Lemon_Meteor
Local Performer

This is basically an audio engineering issue, but I don't know what to do about it. 

On my early jazz station, I get a lot of Billie Holiday.  That's great because I love her.   However, I started primarily getting her music from this album in the past few weeks:

What a Little Moonlight Can Do - Remastered

Example song:  https://pandora.app.link/ufJpXAM5J8

This remaster album is AWFUL. Someone added a ton of reverb to it for reasons I cannot fathom.  It is horrible to listen to and literally hurts my brain.   I don't want to thumbs down it because a) I'd have to thumbs down every single track played from this album individually and b) I like these songs, just not this AWFUL remastered version.    I'm pretty sure if I thumbs down them, it will take all of these songs off of my station, not just the ones from this album, since they are all the same songs, just with different audio mixing. 

But I just can't stand listening to it.  They come up very frequently as well. This is unbearable.  How can I request to get these songs from a different compilation album?

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Lemon_Meteor I moved your post to this thread since you have similar feedback.

We don't currently have the option to filter out certain versions of tracks, such as covers or live recordings on Pandora stations.

However, if you Thumb Down a cover or remixed version of a song, you will not hear that version again on the station you're listening to. This will not keep the studio version of that track from playing and doesn't necessarily mean that you will no longer hear other songs by that artist. As always, you should use your Thumb ratings freely to tell Pandora what you want and don't want to hear.

In the meantime, make sure to give this existing feature request a ❤️ to express your interest in getting it added to the service as well: Exclude Live Performance/Remixed Versions of Songs

Hope this helps! 🤝

0 Kudos

DiamondBoy32
Local Performer

But then if you thumbs down two live versions of the same artist you will stop hearing the artist completely. This could create a problem if you still like the artist but can't stand live versions like me.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@DiamondBoy32 Thumbing down the live versions of various tracks will not prevent that artist from playing again on your station. 

Just make sure you are also consistently thumbing up the studio versions of their tracks that you like as well when they play.

Additionally, I do see you are upgraded to Pandora Premium - with this level of subscription you can always create your own customized playlists where you can pick and choose what songs you want to hear in your listening session. Going this route will allow you only select studio versions of tracks, and leave out the live versions you don't actually want to hear.

Let me know if you'd like me to send over some instructions on how to create customized playlists.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos

DiamondBoy32
Local Performer

In another thread about how to remove a specific artist from a station the moderator said to thumb down 2 of the artists songs... Confused??

I don't want to make my own playlist that's too much work and boring since you now know every song that will play. Even though most of your stations pretty much end up being like a playlist as they repeat the same songs over and over. 

0 Kudos