cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Genre stations no longer playing the same music

SpdKilz
Local Performer

I have been listening to a station (Dubstep) for over a decade and have "liked" a couple hundred songs throughout the years.  Doing so has changed what songs the station plays versus what it originally would have played.  Overnight it has gone from playing my type of songs back to almost 100% dubstep, and plays only one or two liked songs for every 50 songs I skip/downvote.

This is very frustrating as the station has been forever evolving to my change in music taste and that seems to be gone, with very few of the "liked" songs showing up.

Any help on getting the station back to what it was?

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

Labels (3)
42 Replies

Mjp
Local Performer

I have been playing Buddha Bar Radio for my clients for over 20 years and suddenly it plays TOTALLY different music that has completely changed the energy of the genre!  Please go back to the original mix!  I can’t find another station like it!

jgcigar
Underground

Buddha Bar is totally destroyed! I relied on it to go to sleep for 6 years but you started jamming in more and more completely unrelated cuts that wake me up and frustrate me. Had to switch to Chill which is not as good. Bring it back please. There was nothing else like it. A metaphysical spiritual theme is what I need as a life long Zen Buddhist. Everything else is for children. 

EDIT - I had to remove a snarky comment added without permission to this post. It falsely claimed that "Buddha Bar has not existed for 20 years" which is a total lie. Someone with permissions has access to our comments. Not cool at all.

judgecrater
Underground

I am having exactly the same problem.  There is no edit function on my stations.  No edit or pencil icon. 

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@judgecrater Please send me:

• the name of the station you are unable to add variety to
  • the name of the groups you'd like to add as variety to that station
  • a screenshot of what you are seeing on your computer where you should be able to add variety

Thanks for working with me on this. 🤝

0 Kudos

judgecrater
Underground
AdamPandora,
Thanks for your help. 11 years ago I started my station called Techo.
Over the years I have given it 200 thumbs up and was able to control my
station just fine by adding artists, etc.
While playing my station on Google Assistant it still plays all my
favorites to this day.
About 2 weeks ago, if I tried to play that station on my desktop web
browser it has changed. It no longer plays any of my favorites and I have
no way to add artists. I have lost control and it is now playing all
different songs. See attached.
0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@judgecrater Unfortunately, if you add an attachment via email, those images won't appear in your reply on the Community.

Can you please try adding those images again by opening the Community, and clicking on the camera icon in the reply box?:

Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 6.35.18 AM.png

Thanks again for your help with this!

0 Kudos

judgecrater
Underground

Are you able to see these pictures? As you can see I have lost the Tune My
Station control from my old station yet you can see I originated this
station in 2011.
Thanks,
Steve

techno radio.JPG

techno screen.JPG

As you can see I have lost "tune my station."

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for following up with that information, @judgecrater.

I moved your post over to this existing thread: Genre stations no longer playing the same music

It looks like you have feedback regarding two separate issues.

Techno station now playing different music:

Genre stations, such as "Today's Hits" or "Techno Radio," are stations curated by Pandora, and they behave a little bit differently than your own personalized stations. One difference is that you cannot Add Variety to these stations.

That's because Adding Variety could change your listening experience on these stations; added seeds would most likely inspire music outside of the scope of the intended genre.

This would explain why you don't see a Station Created From section in that particular station.

Additionally, these are stations created and curated by Pandora, and they often include more mainstream artists and songs.

As an alternative, we recommend creating your own station, using an artist or song that you think best represents a particular genre. Then use Thumbs to help guide the station you are trying to create.

Additionally, you may Add Variety to the station you create, in order to include other artists or songs you'd like to influence your station.

Keep in mind, each seed you add will inspire hundreds of other songs, so a little variety goes a long way. If you don't like the direction your station is headed, you can always edit your station seeds and Thumbs through the Station Details.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Pandora Modes no longer showing on Techno station:

Check out the accepted solution to this thread for more information around this: All Modes disappeared from a genre station

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos

judgecrater
Underground
Hi Adam,
Pandora may have curated a station called Techno but so did I 10 years
ago. Unfortunately there are now two stations with that name. Up until a
few weeks ago I had control of my station called Techno. Starting about
two weeks ago, when I am on a web browser, Pandora routes me to your Techno
Radio rather than mine I created 10 years ago. Courteously if I access MY
station called Techno on my Google Assistant, (Hey Google, play Pandora
Techno Radio) it still goes to MY station called Techno that I started 10
years ago. So depending on the device I use I either get your station or
mine.
0 Kudos

Thewelshman
Local Performer

Same here my 80s cardio is totally different. Lots of skipping until I finally switched stations. 

0 Kudos

MelG
Local Performer

I've been listening to a Pandora-curated Motown station that used to play Motown for the most part but would mix in a few other 60's songs on occasion. Lately it's playing one or two Motown-type songs in between what is mostly jazz such as Louis Armstrong, Jimmy Forest, Billie Holiday, Duke Ellington, etc. Not at all what I would call Motown. If I wanted Jazz, I'd listen to a Jazz station, not Motown.

0 Kudos

jgcigar
Underground
Thank you for your message. I really do miss the Buddha Bar content but in this case I was told last year the beach music genre was replacing it. When I log in to my account on Roku my stations list includes Buddha Bar but it plays beach music and the art work for 'Buddha Bar Radio' now says Beach Bar Lounge.
Is it futile for me to try report out of genre cuts which come back no matter how many times I thumbs down them on Buddha Bar? Or does BB only exist in my list and not in your offered genres?
I do not like the Global Chill as much but that is as close as I can come to BB. G Chill has fewer out of genre cuts that are not to my liking. But I go to sleep with this every night and I'd have to get up, turn off the tuner's timer to thumbs down such a clinker and then activate the timer again.
I am a customer of many years and still want Buddha Bar.
Jim Gordon
Zephyrhills, Florida
0 Kudos

jgcigar
Underground

Our option seems to be to use a different streaming service. They don't care about these irritating out of genre fails.

0 Kudos

skooch1
Local Performer

Have both Relaxation and George Winter Radio on my Apple.  Within the last few weeks I have noticed a change of tracks on the Relaxation Station with more songs playing piano instead of movie soundtracks or strings as previously.  It's nice but not exactly "relaxing".  Has the selection changed?  I still listen to George Winter but Relaxation is preferable.  Thanks for any news.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@skooch1 I moved your post over to this existing thread: Genre stations no longer playing the same music

To explain the mix of tracks that are playing, Genre stations, such as "Today's Hits" or "Relaxation Radio,"are stations created and curated by Pandora. Sometimes, they might include more mainstream artists and songs or we may make changes to the station that can result in changes to the experience you've been accustomed to. You can always use Thumbs to help guide the station you are trying to create.

Check out the accepted solution for more information.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos

Stelcom66
Opening Act

Chillout Radio has become annoying again with more tunes with weird vocals. I keep doing thumbs down but getting tired of that. About a year or so, maybe less I'd rarely hear vocals. Something changed, for the last month or so it wasn't too bad but has been happening more lately. Enough to where I say screw it and listen to my own collection that I bought and paid for.

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Stelcom66 I moved your post over to this existing thread: Genre stations no longer playing the same music

To explain the mix of tracks that are playing, Genre stations, such as "Today's Hits" or "Chill Out Radio,"are stations created and curated by Pandora. Sometimes, they might include more mainstream artists and songs or we may make changes to the station that can result in changes to the experience you've been accustomed to. You can always use Thumbs to help guide the station you are trying to create.

Check out the accepted solution for more information.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos

jgcigar
Underground

Matter of factly proclaiming that you sometimes add random stuff (polite word) or 'mainstream' content to these highly specialized genres is admitting you don't care about customer satisfaction, customer frustration or that you even care enough to maintain the genres you advertised to those looking for a streaming service. 

Not helping.

0 Kudos

jgcigar
Underground

Your reply to @cyclissmo is nonsense. We had the Buddha Bar channel as a Pandora offering for years before someone in the company decided to change it to Beach Bar and that really ruined Buddha Bar for us. When I first signed up, the Buddha Bar channel was there as a genre choice. It was fantastic for years until it got changed and ruined by Pandora programmers. We need a moderator who has been with Pandora for at least a decade.  

0 Kudos

jgcigar
Underground

I should be so lucky. Every streaming service offers classic rock but Pandora ruined the unique genre of my favorite Buddah Bar channel, something no other service offered, with the similar random unwanted content that forced you out and they don't care.  

0 Kudos