cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do stations work?

Brobokil
Local Performer

I'm wondering if a "Station" will only contain one unchanging list of songs, like a playlist, or if new songs are ever added to a station. Like if I browsed an existing station (one I didnt create) back in 2016, would it still only have the exact same songs it had in 2016? Or do stations add or change out songs?

Also, if I edit a station such as by thumbing up or down, will that effect the station? I've always read customized as meaning once I thumbed a song or added a song, that station becomes my own private version of that station that no one else can access or change. Is that the case? I'm hoping not. Please let me know I've always been very confused by how stations work. Thanks!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'm wondering if stations have an "owner" or someone who manages them. If I select a station that already exists, can the person who created it add or remove songs later on? Or does the station stay the same as it was once I added it to my collection? Or am I the only one who can add or remove from it? Or can anyone add (or remove) from it at any time?

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Brobokil Nice to see you around the community.

I ended up combining your two separate posts into one thread so that I can address both of your questions.

How thumb ratings affect your station:

Pandora stations adapt with every song to try to find the right music for your stations. 

Stations on Pandora Premium are guided by thumb feedback or added seeds, like Pandora and Pandora Plus stations. While listening to a station you can thumb up or down songs from the Now Playing screen to help us learn what to play next.

As you continue to rate tracks with a thumbs up or thumbs down, your station will then begin to add/remove songs based off of how you are interacting with the station.

Without Thumb info, however, Pandora has to guess what songs you like or don't like, which can often lead to the problem you've described.

Keep in mind, Thumbs are station specific, so please feel free to Thumb up and down accordingly. Giving a Thumb rating on one station will not affect any of your other stations.

This also means that you can use Thumbs to craft the sound you are trying to achieve and vary the playlists from station to station. For example, you might want to give a song you like a Thumb Down if you think it will bring in a certain type of music you'd prefer to not have on that station. Don't be afraid to rate songs (you can always edit your stations later if you don't like the direction your station is going or if you'd like to mix things up).

Finally, you can use Pandora Modes to customize your station experience when you're listening from a computer, mobile device or the Sonos app. You can pick different modes like Crowd Faves, Discovery and Deep Cuts. Be sure to Thumb Up songs you liked to inspire similar songs to play.

Does anyone own the station?:

To clarify, no one else can add or remove songs to a station that is added to your collection.

Only you have the power to craft your station into playing more of the music you want to hear, while weeding out music you don't want to hear, with the use of thumbs. 

Hope this helps! 😎

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Brobokil Nice to see you around the community.

I ended up combining your two separate posts into one thread so that I can address both of your questions.

How thumb ratings affect your station:

Pandora stations adapt with every song to try to find the right music for your stations. 

Stations on Pandora Premium are guided by thumb feedback or added seeds, like Pandora and Pandora Plus stations. While listening to a station you can thumb up or down songs from the Now Playing screen to help us learn what to play next.

As you continue to rate tracks with a thumbs up or thumbs down, your station will then begin to add/remove songs based off of how you are interacting with the station.

Without Thumb info, however, Pandora has to guess what songs you like or don't like, which can often lead to the problem you've described.

Keep in mind, Thumbs are station specific, so please feel free to Thumb up and down accordingly. Giving a Thumb rating on one station will not affect any of your other stations.

This also means that you can use Thumbs to craft the sound you are trying to achieve and vary the playlists from station to station. For example, you might want to give a song you like a Thumb Down if you think it will bring in a certain type of music you'd prefer to not have on that station. Don't be afraid to rate songs (you can always edit your stations later if you don't like the direction your station is going or if you'd like to mix things up).

Finally, you can use Pandora Modes to customize your station experience when you're listening from a computer, mobile device or the Sonos app. You can pick different modes like Crowd Faves, Discovery and Deep Cuts. Be sure to Thumb Up songs you liked to inspire similar songs to play.

Does anyone own the station?:

To clarify, no one else can add or remove songs to a station that is added to your collection.

Only you have the power to craft your station into playing more of the music you want to hear, while weeding out music you don't want to hear, with the use of thumbs. 

Hope this helps! 😎

0 Kudos