cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to block an artist

Aolson
Local Performer

I have looked everywhere on this ducking app and I cant find how to block Kane Brown. His music sounds like two cats fornicating in a dumpster and I'd like it to stop. What am i even paying for anyways? If I wanted to listen to feces I'd turn on the news...

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

Labels (1)
41 Replies

clt7662
Local Performer

I've 👎 a few artists/songs every time they play on my station and the artist/songs keep re-appearing the next time listen to the station. How can I block an artist from suggestions?

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@clt7662 I moved your post to this thread since you have a similar request: How to block an artist

While we do not offer an option to prevent an artist from playing on your account or specific stations, I recommend giving this existing feature request a ❤️ to express your interest in getting it added to the service: Blocking/Muting Certain Artists / Song Selection Rules

In the meantime, continue to give any tracks by that band a Thumbs-down on your stations, and Pandora should learn to stop playing them over time.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos

dsnyder
Local Performer

I followed your link and added a comment to the featute request area. I noticed this has been a request since 2019! 

Pandora doesn't learn, or doesn't learn specifically for some artists apparently. Multiple thumbs down don't do it, I have the same artist thumbed down 17 times on my station and I still hear them every session.

0 Kudos

Spooky_Noodle
Underground

So, still no way to block artists despite there clearly being demand for it?

0 Kudos

ShadowKeriphin
Local Performer

I am not sure this has been mentioned but on Shuffle Stations - you may get an artist that you might not have intended on thumbing up for the respective station. This thumb will apply to the station and then when you listen to the station specifically, that artist or type of music may be unexpected or unwanted. Be sure to go to that station and delete the songs you have thumbed up. This feature seems best experienced in a web browser.

For the app, you may have to clear the cache or clear all stored data and login again. I have noticed an inconsistency otherwise.

0 Kudos

apeters324
Underground

I don’t understand why no matter how much you thumbs down an artist or song it repeatedly comes up. And why are there so many men and men of country on my Women Of Pop station? Literally every 5 men I thumbs down I get 1 female artist. 

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@apeters324 Nice to see you around the Community.

Artist still appears after thumbing them down:

I'm happy to look into this - please send me:

the name of the artist you are thumbing down that still plays

the name of the station where they continue to play on despite thumbing them down repeatedly

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Too many men on Women of Pop station:

Thanks very much for your feedback -- I've noted it for our product team. It's very helpful as we work to improve the service.

In the meantime, you can continue to give a Thumbs Down to any male artists that play on that station.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos

MusicFan89834
Local Performer

For the love of god, how do I get Pandora to stop playing the most trash band ever? (Imagine Dragons). I have thumbs downed 53 of their songs, and it still plays them. 

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@MusicFan89834 I moved your post to this thread since you have a similar request: How to block an artist

While we do not offer an option to prevent an artist from playing on your account or specific stations, I recommend giving this existing feature request a ❤️ to express your interest in getting it added to the service: Blocking/Muting Certain Artists / Song Selection Rules

In the meantime, continue to give any tracks by that band a Thumbs-down on your stations, and Pandora should learn to stop playing them over time.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos

bowtie406cid
Local Performer

if you give consistent Thumbs-down to an artist on a given station, Pandora should learn to stop playing that artist on that station. FAKE NEWS Pandora refuses to quit playing "featured" trash music! However I assume once you have blocked an artist & I use that term loosely entire catalog of trash you should no longer here them as long as you continue to listen to the same station forever.

0 Kudos

GeraldPandora
Pandora Moderator - Emeritus
Pandora Moderator - Emeritus

Hi @bowtie406cid

Usually, when consistently thumbing down an artist or a song, Pandora should learn not to play those types of tracks for that station.

If you're thumbing down tracks, but keep hearing similar music, would you mind telling me which station you're on and who you don't want to hear any more?

I can take a closer look and see what's going on.

+++++

In addition, while we do not offer an option to prevent an artist from playing on your account or specific stations, I recommend giving this existing feature request a ❤️ to express your interest in getting it added to the service: Blocking/Muting Certain Artists / Song Selection Rules

Hope this helps!

Gerald | Community Moderator
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Follow us on Twitter @ PandoraSupport
0 Kudos

dsnyder
Local Performer

Hi Gerald,

@GeraldPandora 

I first commented on this thread I don't know, a year, maybe two ago. 

In my case it is Pandora's acapella station. I just went and looked again, I have songs of the group Anthem Lights thumbed down 19 times on that station, and I still hear music from them.

I read in a help post somewhere that upon thumbs downing the same artist twice one would no longer hear any of their music on that station. If that was ever true it is no longer. 

The same also applies to a custom station I had made starting with an artist and adding similar artists to it. Essentially mostly acapella music as well and what do you know....  the whiny, irritating, squeaky voices of Anthem Lights still pop up. Yes I've only thumbed them down seven times on my custom station, but still. 

I finally concluded Pandora is profiting somehow from playing this worthless excuse of an acapella group and nothing can be done about it. 

0 Kudos

Ktraughb
Local Performer

Same. 😅 Freaking radiohead. Exactly the band I came here seeking to block! Except on my "the national" channel. 

0 Kudos

pikachew
Local Performer

The suggestion of thumbing down to remove an artist does not work. It just keeps pushing a different song from the same Artist. There SHOULD be a way to outright block an artist, period. 

0 Kudos

apeters324
Underground

I am still having this issue years later and arguably it’s gotten even worse. I don’t understand why so many artist and genres come up no matter how much I thumbs down them. I also don’t understand why you give stations names when that kind of music doesn’t play on that station. Why do I get so many men specifically from country in my “Women In Pop” station or why I get so many acoustic, indie, and hard rock songs on my “Dance Pop” station. 

0 Kudos

3C
Opening Act

There seems to be two separate issues here - One is the general request to be able to block artists or albums from a specific station. Pandora does not appear to have made a decision on implementing this feature yet. 

The second related issue is that Pandora will run the entire catalog of an artist that is clearly not a fit for a given station, and you wind up having to thumbs-down every stinking one of them, and the algorithm doesn't seem to be capable of grasping that I don't want Procol Harem on my electronic music station after 30 thumbs-downed songs. This is just one example, but I do not have them in my seed songs on any of my stations, and have never thumbs-uped one of their songs... ever

0 Kudos

burgertime
Opening Act

I'm wondering what I need to do to stop Florence & The Machine from playing on EVERY station I create. Is it possible? I have given a thumbs down to every single one of their songs that has played on any of my stations. Her voice annoys the **ahem** out of me and I don't understand why they play on every station regardless of genre. I think the only ones she hasn't played on are my oldies and classical. I want the algorithm to get the message that I literally never want to listen to this band.

I really wish there was an option to go back to the way stations used to work. I listen to a lot of different genres, and I hate this new thing where stations pull artists from other stations even if they are unrelated. I don't want to cross the streams, I want them to be independent from each other like they used to be!

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@burgertime I moved your post to this thread since you have a similar request: How to block an artist

In the meantime, continue to give any tracks by Florence & The Machine a Thumbs-down on your station, and Pandora should learn to stop playing that artist on that station over time.

Also make sure to remove any Thumbs Up you may have given to any tracks by that artist on your stations.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos

bowtie406cid
Local Performer
Pandora refuses to fix the issue even for paying customers. I cancelled and
moved to Spotify. I’m much happier now.
0 Kudos

3C
Opening Act

It seems to be part of this problem that these bands we get hammered with the entire playlist of are annoying and bad fits for the stations in question

I am beginning to suspect that either (a) Pandora gets compensation for hammering us with certain specific artists/albums and/or (b) Pandora is using you and your station to evaluate these artists/albums for type. If you are organized enough that your station actually has a 'sound' and 'theme' to it (I am not a music theory expert), Pandora may be using your thumbs-downs (and ups) to classify music

Either (a) or (b) would be a pretty good explanation for why there doesn't seem to be a lot of traction on solving a problem that seems pretty easy to solve

0 Kudos