cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only one artist plays on station

jscaduto1
Local Performer

Hi.  I am a Pandora Premium listener.  Here's what’s going on.  I'm listening to an artist station that, of course, plays similar artists to the one created the station for.   A song plays from some other artist, other than the one the station is for, and I give it a thumbs up because I like that song and want to hear it more often and have it in my thumbs up station.   Here’s the issue.   I gave a thumbs up to the one song, but now Pandora plays a lot more songs from the thumbs-up artist.  It’s like I thumbed up just the one song, but Pandora now thinks I want to hear as much as possible of that one artist…and all this on the station of the artist I created the station for…. I only wanted to hear that one song more often, not the entire playlist of the artist.  Is there any way to curb this?

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @jscaduto1. 👋

We want all our listeners to get the most from their Pandora experience as they discover and enjoy music they love. In that spirit, here are a few things we've come up with to get your stations playing great songs, so you can skip less and enjoy more. 

1. Thumb freely: Thumb ratings tell us everything about the kinds of music you want to hear. If you have a reaction to a song, let us know! This will give us a better idea of what to play next. Keep in mind, thumbing down a track counts as a skip. You can also thumb down other songs that you hear from that particular artist.

2. Listen using Pandora Modes: Listeners have limited control over when or how often particular artists or songs will play on Pandora stations. When listening from a computer, a mobile device, or the Sonos app, you can access Pandora Modes to customize your station experience. You can pick different modes like Crowd Faves, Discovery and Deep Cuts.

3. Review your station: When stations are playing songs wildly out of place, or songs that aren't fitting within that station's sound, you should check your station definition and edit any Thumb ratings or seeds that may be adversely affecting the playlist. Let me know if you'd like me to send over steps to help edit your stations.

4. Switch it up: Don't be afraid to make changes. If your station is repetitive, first try our Add Variety feature. If you get sick of a track but don't want to completely ban it, you can also put it on the shelf for a while by choosing "I'm tired of this track." In some cases, it might actually help to remove Thumbs Up ratings in the station definition to mix things up.

5. For a more stylistically focused playlist: Try creating stations with songs instead of artists. Using song seeds can provide a more focused playlist, by diverging from the mainstream and focusing on a distinct set of musical attributes.

Personally, I switch up my stations all the time. If I start to hear repetition or my station isn't moving the direction I'd like, I'll add variety that fits the vibe I'm going for. Alternatively, I'll remove the Thumbs Up and see how my station changes. You can change the direction of your station by adding variety and editing your thumb feedback. 

Hope this helps you get started on fine-tuning your station. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

View solution in original post

3 Replies

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @jscaduto1. 👋

We want all our listeners to get the most from their Pandora experience as they discover and enjoy music they love. In that spirit, here are a few things we've come up with to get your stations playing great songs, so you can skip less and enjoy more. 

1. Thumb freely: Thumb ratings tell us everything about the kinds of music you want to hear. If you have a reaction to a song, let us know! This will give us a better idea of what to play next. Keep in mind, thumbing down a track counts as a skip. You can also thumb down other songs that you hear from that particular artist.

2. Listen using Pandora Modes: Listeners have limited control over when or how often particular artists or songs will play on Pandora stations. When listening from a computer, a mobile device, or the Sonos app, you can access Pandora Modes to customize your station experience. You can pick different modes like Crowd Faves, Discovery and Deep Cuts.

3. Review your station: When stations are playing songs wildly out of place, or songs that aren't fitting within that station's sound, you should check your station definition and edit any Thumb ratings or seeds that may be adversely affecting the playlist. Let me know if you'd like me to send over steps to help edit your stations.

4. Switch it up: Don't be afraid to make changes. If your station is repetitive, first try our Add Variety feature. If you get sick of a track but don't want to completely ban it, you can also put it on the shelf for a while by choosing "I'm tired of this track." In some cases, it might actually help to remove Thumbs Up ratings in the station definition to mix things up.

5. For a more stylistically focused playlist: Try creating stations with songs instead of artists. Using song seeds can provide a more focused playlist, by diverging from the mainstream and focusing on a distinct set of musical attributes.

Personally, I switch up my stations all the time. If I start to hear repetition or my station isn't moving the direction I'd like, I'll add variety that fits the vibe I'm going for. Alternatively, I'll remove the Thumbs Up and see how my station changes. You can change the direction of your station by adding variety and editing your thumb feedback. 

Hope this helps you get started on fine-tuning your station. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

jscaduto1
Local Performer

Doesn't exactly answer my question but I'll go with it.  I decided to delete the station and then just recreate it.  Haven't had enough time listening to it to know if it works.  

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@jscaduto1 Sounds good.

If you continue to run into issues with this, feel free to let us know the name of the station you are listening to, and we'll be happy to take a closer look.

0 Kudos