cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shuffle only cycles through 5 stations at a time

Saavedro88
Opening Act

Shuffle Mode only plays 5 different artists

This has happened to me on two different devices so far this morning. When my alarm went off on my phone this morning (which is set to Shuffle all stations), it only cycled between Drive-By Truckers, Anderson Paak, Beck, Middle Kids and Wolfmother.

Now that I'm at work, I'm listening on my PC, and it's only giving me The Fratellis, Paramore, Copeland, Mates of State and Blink-182. 

I'm paying for a Premium subscription, I should definitely be getting more variety than this. Has anyone else encountered this issue before? Do I need to reset something?

I've been running into a lot of different, very frustrating issues with Pandora recently, I'm honestly beginning to question whether or not it's still worth it. 

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Pandora Update 04/21/21:

Hi everyone! 👋🏽

Thank you all for sharing your feedback with us regarding some changes you noticed when streaming Pandora in Shuffle Mode.

This issue is now resolved, and our engineers have confirmed that Shuffle Mode is now working as intended.

We're making some changes to how stations are stored and retrieved with the goal of making them more reliable with less downtime for maintenance. However, this necessitated changes to how shuffle operates.  As a result we modified the shuffle algorithm to be a bit more random.  It will no longer try to play each of your stations before repeating, but instead it will change up the order occasionally.

I will now be closing this thread from any future comments from being posted.

If you notice any other discrepancies with the way Shuffle Mode is working down the line, feel free to create a new thread with as much information as you can provide.

Thanks for being a part of the Community! :pandora:

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
60 Replies

asuss06
Opening Act

I have about 60 stations on shuffle and Pandora's been awesome for years about shuffling thru all of them.  Suddenly yesterday, Pandora will only play from about 4 stations and ignores all the rest all day long.  I signed out and back in, cleared the cookies, i even unchecked/rechecked every station i had.  It will still only play from about 3 or 4 stations all day long, although theyre 2 different stations than yesterday.

whats going on and how can i fix this?

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Saavedro88 @asuss06 Thank you for reporting this.

I have escalated your feedback over to our curation team so they can help look into this further.

Keep an eye on this thread as I will provide you with an update here when I hear back from them.

Thanks for your patience in the meantime! 

0 Kudos

asuss06
Opening Act

thank you.  After 5 days, the situation is not changing at all no matter what i do to remedy the situation.

Saavedro88
Opening Act

Same dude. Very frustrating.

Cybertalon
Local Performer

I have never had any issues with Pandora till yesterday when the shuffle stations decided not to work correctly. I start the app and it will start playing maybe four different artists and then repeat those artists again and again. Even when skipping songs I will get the same thing. Might find a different one after hitting skip 20 times but then it will just pick another 4 and repeat those. Or it will play a couple different artists and then have one that keeps playing every couple songs. Such as Rascal Flatts, Red, Skillet, Korn, Rascal Flatts, Disturbed, Eminem,  Evanescence, Rascal Flatts. You get the idea. Or it will only give me one type of music. Like playing only rock music or just country or something else. I have tried it on the iPad Pro, the iPhone 11,  ipod, even the Roku Ultra I have and get the same results. Have tried the website on the iPad which won’t let me play anything for what ever reason. Have not tried my laptop yet. However most likely expecting same results. But this is getting very annoying. And like I said it’s the first issue I have ever had with Pandora. Would very much like some help.

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Cybertalon I moved your post into this existing thread: Shuffle only cycles through 5 stations at a time

Our engineers are aware of this issue and are currently looking into it.

Please keep an eye out on this thread as I will provide you all with an update here once our engineers provide me with that information.

0 Kudos

baux09
Local Performer

Hello. 
You may have to add me to this group of folks who's shuffle may not be "working" I have 16 stations (sometimes up to 22) selected and I don't think the shuffle is going through all of them.  
I would like to know when you remove or add stations when does the algorithm update? 
IF I close the browser then re-open Pandora will the shuffle theoretically update? 
Do I have to log off? 
Can you simply refresh the page? 

I have tried the above and not sure if any of it worked... I DID select only one station then re-add 5 at a time and the groups of songs DID change but then it seems if the "Recently Played" is displaying then it will play from those stations (but only those) 

Let me know how this works...

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@baux09 I moved your post into this existing thread: Shuffle only cycles through 5 stations at a time

I have also went ahead and added your feedback to the ticket we have open with the engineers who are looking into this issue.

Please keep an eye out on this thread as I will provide you all with an update here once our engineers provide me with that information.

0 Kudos

asuss06
Opening Act

How long will it take for me to hear from someone in advance tech support? Just curious more than anything. You said you escalated my case on Monday and here it is Thursday and I haven't heard from anyone. I have a feeling I may never hear from anyone ever. 

gjunkmail16
Local Performer

The same here. I have many stations and it only shuffles about 4 or 5 no matter what device (android or windows) I use. This started happening around same time others have stated. 

After testing this many times, it seems once I get out of shuffle by choosing a station, then going back to shuffle it chooses a different set of 5 stations each time - but only 5 stations each time - I have about 200 I think and all are selected.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing your experience to the Community, @gjunkmail16.

I have added your report to the ticket we have open with the engineers who are looking into this.

Thanks so much for all your patience as they work to find a fix. 🛠

0 Kudos

Dain
Underground

I am having this exact issue as well

0 Kudos

Dinom
Local Performer

Every time I open it shuffle get stuck on the same three stations why can you guys not fix this ever since the last update on phone

0 Kudos

jaythayer
Local Performer

I have had the same situation since the latest update on my IOS device. Now shuffle only seems to play about 5 different stations on my PC. This really needs to be fixed. The station shuffle worked great for years. It also introduced me to new artists and songs. Now it is just the same stations and songs over and over. I have had a subscription for over 10 years. Also there should be a downloadable instructions for using Pandora. I find the current GUI confusing.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Dain @Dinom @jaythayer I have added your feedback to the ticket we have open with our engineering team as well.

Thanks for all your patience as they continue to look into this. 🤝

0 Kudos

JackCheese
Local Performer

I am in the same boat. just 4-5 stations

0 Kudos

eVarese
Underground

Same issue for me since Monday March 29. It seems to not matter whether I am on iOS or Mac desktop (Chrome or Firefox). I have a family plan (so I can have 5 separate maxed-out shuffles with different stations) and each account now only  shuffles through a handful of stations — even though 50 or more are selected in each account. I have been a loyal paid-subscriber since November 2009!! I’ve never had an issue with Pandora in all 12 years. If the shuffle algorithms stop working for good I will lose a significantly important part of my daily life — and I’m not being hyperbolic! There is no other streaming service that can match Pandora for shuffling variety. I’ve discovered so much music over the years from what pops up in my shuffles based on the stations I am listening to at any given time. I really hope this can be solved. Some engineer must’ve broken something when making an update or just injected incorrect code. I’ll follow this thread and cross-fingers!!!!

Bakwudz
Local Performer

Hah!! Got you all beat.  I'm getting 6 stations in my shuffle.

Saavedro88
Opening Act

Well, seems like they're definitely working on it. This morning I'm getting TEN stations in my shuffle instead of the five that I've had for the past couple weeks. 

0 Kudos