cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

holiday stations are struggling?

thale
Local Performer

Is it just me, or are the holiday stations not as clear cut as they used to be?

1) I am getting more non-holiday music in some of my holiday stations. That used to be extremely rare, but this year a holiday station eventually plays a non-holiday song, and after that often veers off to all non-holiday music.

2) The type of music changes. For example, a Mannheim Steamroller (holiday) radio station now includes a lot of music that sounds nothing like Mannheim Steamroller. It used to be a collection of things like Trans-Siberian Orchestra and some other bands that have some similar sounds, but now it goes out to general holiday music (and sometimes non-holiday as mentioned above).

Is there anything I can do to improve these? I never had this problem in past years - it's one of the things I love about Pandora. Other services never got "holiday" music right and would include non-holiday music, so I'm hoping there's step I can take to improve this on Pandora. Thanks!

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@thale Unlike holiday genre stations, holiday stations based on artists may feature non-holiday music from the seed artist and others.

If you prefer to keep these stations playing only holiday music, just thumb down any non-holiday tracks.

You can also check out some of our available holiday genre stations here.

Thanks for being a part of the community! 🎧

View solution in original post

8 Replies

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@thale Unlike holiday genre stations, holiday stations based on artists may feature non-holiday music from the seed artist and others.

If you prefer to keep these stations playing only holiday music, just thumb down any non-holiday tracks.

You can also check out some of our available holiday genre stations here.

Thanks for being a part of the community! 🎧

thale
Local Performer

@AdamPandora , thank you for the response.  I can start thumbing down non-holiday songs, but has something changed in the music selection algorithms?  This has been a strength of Pandora's in the past - I would select an artists (Holiday) station and got only holiday music.  This was one of the features that has kept me as a Pandora user for years.

Do you have any answer for why the types of music is varying so much now?  This also is new.  For example, Mannheim Steamroller (Holiday) music now plays various (pop, etc.) Christmas songs which don't have much in the way of similarities of sound/style that I can tell.

0 Kudos

thale
Local Performer

That link also does not go to a list of holiday stations, just FYI.  It goes to an article about "Recommendations and Personalization on Pandora".  Not a bad article, but not what it was listed as.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@thale Thanks for pointing that out - I went ahead and updated my last message with the correct link.

I'll also leave that link in this message here as well. 

0 Kudos

PinMan
Local Performer

@AdamPandora wrote:

@AdamPandoraIn my limited experience on Pandora, If I thumb down music I like that is playing on the wrong list or Genra when I play that list the song will no longer be in the rotation.  Is there anyway around this?

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@PinMan Thumbs are station specific, so please feel free to Thumb Up and Thumb Down accordingly. Giving a Thumb rating on one station will not affect any of your other stations.

Hope this helps explain. Thanks for being a part of the community! 🎶

0 Kudos

mlcaban
Local Performer

yeah, I'm only getting 10 songs on holiday stations, then it say says music unavailable, switch to another station, probably going to cancel over this, I mean, I listen to this music once a year, it has to work.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@mlcaban I do see you have an open case with our support team regarding this issue.

If you have any additional questions, please make sure to reply back directly to the email they sent you, and they will be happy to further assist.

Thanks for being a part of the Community!

0 Kudos