cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Added Pandora on button two on Roku remote after saying open pandora - get odd screen

rockworm
Underground

Using the feature of the Roku yUltra voice remote, I say "open pandora" and it opens a screen and plays my last requested station.  This screen has no options like I get when I open Pandora manually, and I cannot change stations or do anything else.

The new button two works, but I prefer the screen and options I get when I open Pandora manually. 

Why is the hot key based Pandora screen limited?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

TannerPandora

@rockworm When you're giving a voice command, you'll need to press and hold the button until you're finished speaking.

You can say something like: " Play The Beatles Radio on Pandora." 

You should also be able to play, stop and use thumb using the voice commands. 

I also found this video that may be helpful: https://youtu.be/OP90YFtTEF0

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

View solution in original post

This video shows a few of the many ways you can control your Roku device through voice commands. This feature makes searching and multi-step tasks like setting closed captioning settings quick and easy. Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/roku Follow us on Twitter: ...
0 Kudos
5 Replies

TannerPandora

Hi @rockworm! Thanks for posting to community!

There are actually two versions of Pandora on your Roku device.

If you open the main Pandora app by navigating to the app with your remote, you'll only be able to skip tracks or play or pause the music using voice commands. However, you can perform other functions with your remote, such as searching for new content to add to your collection, or adjusting your settings.

If you instead open Pandora by pressing the microphone button on your device and request that it "Play [something from your Pandora collection] on Pandora" your Roku device will automatically open the second version of Pandora: a voice-integrated Now Playing screen with limited features but plenty of voice commands.

If you need to find new content or adjust your settings, you can always press the home button on the Roku remote to manually navigate back to the main Pandora app.

Hope this helps to explain. 

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

rockworm
Underground

Tested what you said.

What I found was once I opened pandora via a voice command, I could not give pandora any further commands, remote or voice except pause, play and a small help menu.  Pressing the microphone key on my Roku remote activated the Roku command control, and had nothing to do with changing channels on pandora.  So I cannot see how I would access any voice commands from this version of the app.

So - if I want to use the full featured pandora app, where I can change channels, I basically have to open the app from the main roku menu.

Am I correct?  That's what I am seeing.

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

You're correct, @rockworm.

With the main version of Pandora on Roku, you can use the remote to search for new content, add to your collection,  adjust your settings.

The voice-integrated version of Roku is extremely limited but suppose to be able to use voice commands. You can use commands to skip a currently playing track, to adjust the volume of your device, or to play or pause your music.

If you are not able to use voice commands with Pandora, make sure to keep your device's firmware up to date, as that's how Roku will deliver that functionality to you. 

If you're all up to date, can you let me know the specific commands you're using?

Thanks!

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

rockworm
Underground

I am up to date.  On the roku ultra, you have to hit the microphone key on the remote to use voice commands.  Everything I have tried just hits the roku speech command software..   Nothing I try even stays in pandora, the commands just either try and relaunch pandora or say something like "I dont understand".  

Can you give me an example of a command that works?  I think it's the fact that I hit the microphone button and it l;launches roku's speech processing that we're having a disconnect on.

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

@rockworm When you're giving a voice command, you'll need to press and hold the button until you're finished speaking.

You can say something like: " Play The Beatles Radio on Pandora." 

You should also be able to play, stop and use thumb using the voice commands. 

I also found this video that may be helpful: https://youtu.be/OP90YFtTEF0

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

This video shows a few of the many ways you can control your Roku device through voice commands. This feature makes searching and multi-step tasks like setting closed captioning settings quick and easy. Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/roku Follow us on Twitter: ...
0 Kudos