cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alexa Voice Command Issues

L-Dub
Local Performer

Recently, we are seeing in Pandora playlists - the one we love is New Alt Now Playlist by Pandora Alternative. We used to be able to book mark these but can't so Alexa does not recognize it. We can click on some of the individual artists but not the "playlist" so we get all of them. Why is Pandora doing playlists instead of stations? Is there a work around to this issue? Thanks in advance for help that can be provided.

Moderator Edit: Changed title for clarity

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AlyssaPandora

Hey, @L-Dub!

I've checked in with our User Support team, and your Pandora account is registered as free.

Listening to playlists is a feature of Pandora Premium - unless you enabled a complimentary session of Premium. You can find out more about that here.

++

In the meantime, here are a few helpful commands you can use while listening to Pandora on your Amazon Echo:

• Request a station: "Alexa, play [artist] radio on Pandora." If Alexa can't find what you're asking for in your collection, she'll automatically create a station for you.
  • Create a station: "Alexa, create a [artist] station on Pandora."
  • Use Thumbs: "Alexa, Thumb up this song," or "Alexa, Thumb down this song."
  • Skip songs: "Alexa, skip this song."
  • Control playback: "Alexa, stop playing."
  • Control volume up or down: "Alexa, volume up," or "Alexa, volume down."
  • Find out what is playing: "Alexa, what is playing?"
  • Pandora Premium subscribers can also ask Alexa to play playlists they've collected, as well as albums, and songs: "Alexa, play Highway Companion by Tom Petty on Pandora." (You won't be able to create or edit playlists through Alexa, but you can do that from the Pandora app and your changes will carry over.)

You can select Pandora as your primary music service and you won't have to say "on Pandora" after each command. If you'd like, you can also set your language preference to Spanish and use these commands in Spanish. (Let me know if you need help with that.)

Keep in mind that if Alexa is unable to find what you've requested, she may add a station that does not exactly match what you requested. You may need to try again from a computer or mobile device.

I hope this is helpful.

Alyssa | Community Moderator

Let's talk music in Community Chat

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
72 Replies

AlyssaPandora

Hey, @L-Dub!

I've checked in with our User Support team, and your Pandora account is registered as free.

Listening to playlists is a feature of Pandora Premium - unless you enabled a complimentary session of Premium. You can find out more about that here.

++

In the meantime, here are a few helpful commands you can use while listening to Pandora on your Amazon Echo:

• Request a station: "Alexa, play [artist] radio on Pandora." If Alexa can't find what you're asking for in your collection, she'll automatically create a station for you.
  • Pandora Premium subscribers can also ask Alexa to play playlists they've collected, as well as albums, and songs: "Alexa, play Highway Companion by Tom Petty on Pandora." (You won't be able to create or edit playlists through Alexa, but you can do that from the Pandora app and your changes will carry over.)

You can select Pandora as your primary music service and you won't have to say "on Pandora" after each command. If you'd like, you can also set your language preference to Spanish and use these commands in Spanish. (Let me know if you need help with that.)

Keep in mind that if Alexa is unable to find what you've requested, she may add a station that does not exactly match what you requested. You may need to try again from a computer or mobile device.

I hope this is helpful.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

bknothear
Local Performer

i just signed up for premium for the first time, and first time listener to Pandora and immediatly Alexa cannot find my playlist called my playlist and its the only playlist i have created.  Already thinking of cancelling pandora and going back to Amazon Music

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @bknothear thanks for posting to community!

If you believe Alexa is having trouble understanding your commands you might want to log into your Amazon account to view what Alexa thinks you said, in order to report feedback to Amazon directly. This is referred to as your "Utterance History report."

To view your utterance history report, click this link from a computer and log into your Alexa account. Or from a mobile device launch the Alexa app, tap the Menu icon, select Activity and then More under Pandora activity.

From here you'll be able to view what Alexa thought she heard, as well as listen to a recording of what you said. If she didn't do what you wanted, be sure to let Amazon know by selecting No.

If you're having an issue with commands specifically for Pandora, can you provide me with some more information?

1. What kind of Alexa device are you using?
  2. What phrase(s) did you say to Alexa? (Please be as specific as possible.)
  3. What was the result?
  4. Please send over a screenshot showing your utterance history report. Let me know if you need help doing that.

I'll look forward to hearing back!

Tanner | Community Moderator

Let's share music in the Playlist Swap

0 Kudos

arosey86
Local Performer

I have an Amazon Alexa Echo Dot and when trying to play my playlist, "Alexa, play Country Mood Playlist", Alexa responds that it cannot find such playlist. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos

Patrick3201
Underground

I know there have been a few "Alexa issues" regarding Pandora but I hope this is different enough to forgive the post (if it wasn't).

I have had my Echo for years. Actually I know have several: Generation 1, 2 and now a 3.

I have had issues on and off over the years with the Alexa/Echo finding my Pandora stations and also not finding them other times.

Now I am back to 90% not found.....10% working. The Alexa (sorry I keep intermixing the names here) repeats back the station name.......correctly......but they cannot be found.

One oddly DOES work depending HOW I ask:

Alexa, play Eagles Radio on Pandora...................nope, not found

Alexa, on Pandora, play Eagles Radio..........success!

Others as simple as "Alexa, on Pandora play Today's Hits".........nope

or even the other "Alexa, play Today's Hits on Pandora"..........nope

It DOES repeat back the correct station name.

Amazon Support "claims" that Pandora says not all stations are enabled to be found in the skill for the Alexa/echo.

My question is: Is this true? Does Pandora agree that all my stations will not necessarily work when requested through an echo device?

I have no trouble with ANY station via my phone or the web app........I can plainly see them.

I have been trying to sort this issue out, primarily with Amazon, since last October......HELP! 🙂

AlyssaPandora

Hey there, @Patrick3201.👋

Sorry for the continued trouble with this. 

You can select Pandora as your primary music service and you won't have to say "on Pandora" after each command. Keep in mind that if Alexa is unable to find what you've requested, she may add a station that does not exactly match what you requested. You may need to try again from a computer or mobile device.

@TannerPandora mentioned in a previous post that you can send feedback. If you're having trouble with Alexa understanding your commands you might want to log into your Amazon account in order to report feedback to Amazon directly. This is referred to as your "Utterance History report."

• To view your utterance history report, click this link from a computer and log into your Alexa account.
  • Or from a mobile device launch the Alexa app, tap the Menu icon, select Activity and then More under Pandora activity.
  • From here you'll be able to view what Alexa thought she heard, as well as listen to a recording of what you said. If she didn't do what you wanted, be sure to let Amazon know by selecting No.

++

Do you receive a "Something went wrong" error message when trying to listen to any of your stations while using Alexa?

Let me know. 🔊

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

Hey, @arosey86. 👋

Sorry to hear that you're having issues with Alexa. 

I moved your post over to this thread to keep the community space organized.

I would recommend trying out the steps from @TannerPandora's post here.

Feel free to let us know how it goes.

0 Kudos

Patrick3201
Underground

Hi and thank you for responding but clarity on my part is needed:

1) I do have Pandora as primary in my search order but "on Pandora" or without does not matter.

2) The echo when not finding a station repeats back your request: it is CLEARLY saying the station "name" I am looking for cannot be found. The Alexa app activity log confirms the same thing in writing: correct name, just not found.

The echo for everything else I use it for including other radio apps never has any issues understanding. Just for Pandora. It's frustrating as no one can seem to resolve this..... 

ps: sorry forgot to add: no "something went wrong" although I have heard this message now and then typically if there was some issue communicating with the wifi. and extra extra (sorry on a phone and things are smaller) Actually I have reported it to Amazon. Since last October, they were the ones who said Pandora says this enabled skill on an Echo is a known it cannot find all stations...at this time.

As a Pandora Customer, that is what I hoped to confirm...

AlyssaPandora

@Patrick3201I moved your post over to this Alexa Voice Commands Issues thread to keep the community space organized.

If you haven't already, I would recommend trying out these steps to see if it helps with your voice command trouble. 

++

In the meantime, I have reported your specific details over to our engineering team for further review. 

Thanks so much for providing this helpful information. Appreciate your patience during this time! 🎵

0 Kudos

Patrick3201
Underground

OK the steps to link, tried delinking and relinking multiple with no success. If anyone on the technical team wants to work with me I'd be VERY HAPPY to.

Let them test with stations:

Today's Hits

Lorie Line Radio

None which work....

sigh

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

Thanks so much for trying those steps out, @Patrick3201.

I'll include this as additional details I've already shared with our engineering team.

0 Kudos

gdovic
Underground

I have a similar issue. I normally listen via my associated Amazon Echo devices, and they, all of a sudden, have stopped recognizing the three stations I've curated and listened to for years. I log in via my mobile app and via browser, and those stations no longer appear. There are a large number of "accidental" stations created when someone requests an individual song via the Echo, and it instead creates a station based on that request. 

However, my "Bloodshot Radio" "The Bridge Radio" and "Johnny Cash Radio" stations have disappeared. Can someone assist?

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@gdovic I moved your post over to this thread since it sounds like you are running into a similar issue with your Alexa device.

I recommend checking out @TannerPandora's post above for more information around this.

Let me know how it goes.

Adam | Community Moderator

0 Kudos

gdovic
Underground

@AdamPandora, Those three stations do not appear even if I log into my account via the web browser. They seen to have disappeared entirely.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@gdovic I had our support team take a look at your account on their end. 

They mentioned they did see those stations were deleted, so they went ahead and restored them for you on their end.

If they disappear again without you deleting them from your list, please reach back out and let us know. 

Adam | Community Moderator

0 Kudos

ClayKallam
Local Performer

So basically you're saying that Alexa cannot play personal stations in My Collection on Pandora. If I am wrong, please tell me the Alexa command to get my personal Americana station to play.

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @ClayKallam Alexa can play your stations. 

Here are a few commands you can use while listening to Pandora using Alexa:

Hope this was helpful. 

Tanner | Community Moderator

0 Kudos

drey38
Local Performer

I might have found a pattern, curious if its the same for you. I can play normal Pandora stations, based on one artist, fine but if I've added variety to the station I can only play it by using the "On Pandora play [Band Name] Radio". It seems like Pandora is classifying a radio's name differently when it has been "customized" by adding variety, or renamed. 

I know it's not a fix so much as a shared frustration and possibly a pattern discovered?

Patrick3201
Underground

So this was last updated in February...….it's now May...….haven't heard a word on any fixes. Problems are still there just like before? Any news?

Thank you!

0 Kudos