cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sales tax

u2magooo
Local Performer

Hello I would like to know why I am being charged 8.994% on sales tax? The current rate is 6.5% and that includes the city sales tax as well. So can someone please explain how you can charge me almost 25% more on sales tax than what the state and city mandated rate is. I pretty sure Tallahassee would  be interested in how your company came up with that rate as well?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Pandora Update 08/03/22:

Hi everyone!

Some counties are subject to multiple taxes.

In addition to your state’s sales tax (based on your billing zip), is subject to a local option county tax (otherwise referred to as a surcharge tax). We are required to collect all taxes, including surtax and state sales tax.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
33 Replies

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@u2magooo Our support will be reaching out to you via email to help look into this further.

Please keep an eye out for their message!

0 Kudos

Zanidy
Local Performer

I live in Oregon (no sales tax), yet I’m being charged a sales tax every month. How do I get this fixed?

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Zanidy Nice to see you around the community. 👋🏽

Pandora obtains tax rates from a third-party tax service provider based on your billing ZIP Code. If you no longer live in that state, please make sure that your info is up to date with your credit card company or other payment account so that you will be charged the correct tax rate for all transactions.

In the meantime, I will also have someone from our support team reach out to you separately to make sure this gets straightened out.

Keep an eye out for their email. 📬

0 Kudos

calmtime8
Local Performer

I renewed for 1 year at 54.89 plus tax . Total should be 58.73. Tax in my state florida is 7%. Was charged 62.28. Thats 7.39 in tax . Need credit of 3.55

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@calmtime8 Sorry for any confusion around this.

Pandora is legally required to charge the Florida Communication Services Tax on all of our music subscriptions purchases. So in order to comply with law, the tax rate is based on the zip code provided alongside the payment info when upgrading.

With this being said, I am going to have someone from our support team reach out to you privately via email to further explain.

Please keep an eye out for their message. 📬

0 Kudos

JL
Local Performer

Hi, I live in Palm Beach County, FL. My local sales tax is 7%. I am however being charged a 13.8% sales tax on my Pandora subscription

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@JL I moved your post to this thread since you have similar feedback.

Pandora is legally required to charge the Florida Communication Services Tax on all of our music subscriptions purchases. So in order to comply with law, the tax rate is based on the zip code provided alongside the payment info when upgrading.

Someone from our support team will also be contacting you privately via email to provide more info and answer any additional questions you have about this.

Please keep an eye out for their message.

0 Kudos

jshoe01
Local Performer

I live in Brevard county Florida (zip 32903).
Our state tax plus county tax totals 7% (state =6%; county=1%).

On my latest bill you have charged 13.78% ! 
I looked back In 
my records and found that in May 2020 the tax was increased!

Prior to that increase, ALL previous bills were also overcharged at  9.273% ! (Not 7%)

Please correct the billing ASAP and refund all the overcharged tax from the time I joined Pandora.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@jshoe01 I moved your post to this thread since you have similar feedback.

Some counties in Florida are subject to multiple taxes.

Pandora is required to charge the Florida Communication Services Tax on all of our music subscription purchases.

The tax rate is based on the zip code provided with the payment information.

In addition to your state’s sales tax, your county (based on your billing zip) is subject to a local option county tax (otherwise referred to as a surcharge tax). We are required to collect all taxes, including surtax and state sales tax.

Our system was not charging the full sales tax on your account until recently. This issue has since been resolved, which is why you may have noticed a change in the amount of taxes collected.

I hope this helps clarify. If you have further questions, I would recommend looking into your county's tax regulations.

0 Kudos

Pghpat
Local Performer

Florida law specifies as follows:

"Communications services tax is comprised of two portions: The Florida communications services tax and the local communications services tax. Dealers must itemize and separately state taxes on the customer's bill."

You are failing to itemize on the customer's bill as required.

Please resolve and get back to me with proof of future compliance.

I will await your reply and refrain from opening a non-compliance case with the Florida Dept. Of Revenue, pending your cooperation.

Thank you.

Here is a link to the State guidelines that specify your responsibility to itemize these taxes:

https://floridarevenue.com/taxes/taxesfees/Pages/cst.aspx#:~:text=The%20Florida%20communications%20s....

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Pghpat I do see you currently have an open case with our support team.

Please keep an eye out for their email reply, and they will be happy to help answer any questions you have.

Hope we continue to see you around the Community! :pandora:

0 Kudos

Ericnfla
Local Performer

Why am I being charged 10% sales tax? I live in Manatee County in Florida. Florida state sales tax is 6 % and County tax is 1% that is 7%. My  Subscription is $9.99 and I'm being charged 99 cents tax

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Ericnfla I moved your post over to this existing thread: Sales tax

Pandora is required to charge the Florida Communication Services Tax on all of our music subscription purchases.

The tax rate is based on the zip code provided with the payment information.

Hope this helps clarify. 

0 Kudos

juselle4realty
Local Performer

Same thing just happened to me!!!

0 Kudos

juselle4realty
Local Performer

I can't get in touch with anyone in regards to my annual premium. I was charged 15% for taxes in Florida when my taxes are 7%. This is crazy!

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@juselle4realty I moved your post over to this existing thread: Sales tax

It looks like you are already in contact with our support team.

Please keep an eye out for their email reply, and they will be happy to further explain.

0 Kudos

naaitapps
Local Performer

Hi, we are part of the city, and as government agency we have an exemption letter. Could I speak to someone or email someone at Pandora so as to provide our tax exemption letter?  thanks, Anthony.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@naaitapps Unfortunately, the copyright code does not make a distinction between commercial businesses and nonprofit businesses. Any enterprise outside of personal, individual use requires a type of license that Pandora can only provide through its partner, Mood Media.

Once you've subscribed via Mood Media, you can contact Mood Media directly to ask them to apply the tax exemption. You can get in touch with them here.

0 Kudos

Kat4
Local Performer

Sales taxI live in a 33483 ZIP Code of Florida and our state tax is 6% the local tax is 1% which is 7%. Pandora has been charging on a $3.99 subscription- .46 sales tax which is almost double what they should be charging please correct this😡

0 Kudos