cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iOS: Bitrates when using multiple devices to stream

floris
Local Performer

Hi,

I have a Pandora Plus subscription, and I understand that the bitrate depends on both the device and the subscription.  However, I'm still pretty confused about the relationship between the different subscription plans, the devices that are used to receive the stream, and the bitrate of the stream.

I run the Pandora app on my iPhone (an iOS device) and then use AirPlay to send the output to my Yamaha RX-A730.  What is the bitrate that Pandora sends under this circumstance?  What about when I connect to my Sony earbuds?

Will I get better audio quality if I upgrade to Pandora Premium?  Is the audio quality better with Pandora Plus if I use the Yamaha Music Cast app on my iPhone to listen on the receiver instead of the Pandora app?

@pillageplunder.org
Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @floris. 👋

Nice to see you around the community space. 

Yamaha devices will get 128 kbps MP3 regardless of subscription tier. Using AirPlay should provide slightly higher audio quality. 

Pandora Premium Subscribers have 3 different audio quality options when streaming from a mobile device only:

• Low: 32 kbps AAC+
  • Standard: 64 kbps AAC+
  • High: 192 kbps mp3

To adjust your audio quality settings:

• Open Pandora and select Profile.
  • Tap the Settings gear in the top right corner of your screen.
  • Select Advanced
  • Select Audio Quality and Downloads, then choose which level of audio quality you'd prefer to listen to.

Premium subscribers have additional options for listening on a cell network, Wi-Fi, or downloads. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What song fits your mood today?
Check out new tunes this week: New Music: Picks of the Week (04.09.24)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @floris. 👋

Nice to see you around the community space. 

Yamaha devices will get 128 kbps MP3 regardless of subscription tier. Using AirPlay should provide slightly higher audio quality. 

Pandora Premium Subscribers have 3 different audio quality options when streaming from a mobile device only:

• Low: 32 kbps AAC+
  • Standard: 64 kbps AAC+
  • High: 192 kbps mp3

To adjust your audio quality settings:

• Open Pandora and select Profile.
  • Tap the Settings gear in the top right corner of your screen.
  • Select Advanced
  • Select Audio Quality and Downloads, then choose which level of audio quality you'd prefer to listen to.

Premium subscribers have additional options for listening on a cell network, Wi-Fi, or downloads. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What song fits your mood today?
Check out new tunes this week: New Music: Picks of the Week (04.09.24)
0 Kudos