cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RESOLVED: iOS: Music Stops After Ad Plays using AirPlay

davidacox
Opening Act

I have a similar problem (or it may be the same problem, but with an additional observation). My airplay stream will work fine until a commercial break happens. The commercials play properly, but when the music is supposed to start, the player on my phone shows that things are working properly, but no audio is sent to the airplay device. If I leave it in that state, the audio will start again after the NEXT commercial set plays. So it is as if the player as set is volume to 0, or muted itself between commercial breaks. This only happens over airplay streaming, and only from my iOS device. Attempts to adjust the volume does not have an effect.

mod edit: changed title for clarity

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

TannerPandora

Pandora Update: 5/23/23

Hi all! We've received reports from other listeners that this issue has been resolved. I've closed this thread from further comments. If you run into this issue again in the future, please create a new thread and reference this thread.

Thanks all!

Pandora Update: 5/22/23

Hi all! Thanks for posting your experience with playback stopping after an advertisement when using AirPlay.

The Community team has received an update that this should now be resolved.

If you continue to have trouble, please sign out of the app and sign back in. Let us know if you're still having trouble after this.

Thanks for being part of community!

Pandora Update (04/21/22): Hi everyone 👋

Thank you for reporting this issue and sorry for the continued trouble. An internal ticket was created with our engineering team when this issue was reported. All information from this thread has been shared with the appropriate party to investigate. Thank you for providing details about your experience, as well as the requested device information. Please keep an eye out on this thread as any updated will be posted here when we receive them. In the meantime, we appreciate your patience while this is being worked on. 🎧

*Please note: While this is marked as the solution for now, this issue has not been resolved yet. Marking this as the solution will help other community members see the newest update from the Pandora team quickly when viewing this thread. 

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

View solution in original post

196 Replies

alexatn
Underground

Exact same problem here. This happens when using AirPlay (on any device, regardless of whether the AirPlay device is wired or wireless). This behavior happens after the completion of EVERY commercial segment:

1. Everything starts out fine & audio works when Pandora is playing songs.
  2. Audio Ads play (one or more ads within the segment)
  3. After completion of Ads and when music resumes, AirPlay seems to disconnect, and no more audio is heard from the AirPlay device
  4. Music appears to resume & continue to stream from Pandora (time bar progresses, and advances to subsequent songs), but no audio
  5. If you click on the AirPlay icon (to the right of time bar), the AirPlay devices appear to still be playing (the song's title is shown and the equalizer bars go up & down)

Comments:

• To correct the issue, I have to disconnect AirPlay, reconnected it, and click "Play" again
  • Problem only happens when using AirPlay (no problems when listening using iPhone speaker or bluetooth)
  • Other music streaming services (like Spotify) do not have similar problems using AirPlay
  • Problem happens on all AirPlay devices when using Pandora
  • Problem happens after the end of every Ad segment, so points to Pandora software issue
  • Using latest version of Pandora and iOS.
  • Doing what @AlyssaPandora said does not solve the problem.
Thank you!

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@alexatn I've enabled a trace on your account to help us better understand what's happening.

For this trace to be useful, we'll need you to run through our troubleshooting steps once more: Troubleshooting for iOS Devices

If you continue to experience issues, I would like to report your feedback to our engineers. Could you tell me more about your device?

• Device & Generation: (e.g. iPhone X, iPad Air (3rd gen), etc.)
  • Carrier:
  • iOS version: (Settings > General > About > Version)
  • Pandora version: (Pandora > Profile tab > Settings gear & scroll to the bottom of the screen)

Are you connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data when this is happening?

Have you identified any other patterns or notable information?

Thanks for your help with this.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@davidacox I recommend running through the following troubleshooting steps if you haven't already done so: Troubleshooting for iOS Devices

Let me know how it goes.

0 Kudos

alexatn
Underground

@AdamPandora, I've completed the Troubleshooting for iOS Devices; problem still occurs. My specs are:

• iPhone 12 Pro
  • Carrier: Verizon
  • iOS version: 15.3.1
  • Pandora version: 2202.1

I am connected via WiFi, connecting to speaker via AirPlay. Here's the pattern of activity:

1. Music plays
  2. Ads play
  3. Audio stops after completion of ads (song play resumes and appears to still be streaming into iPhone, but no audio streaming out to AirPlay)
  4. a few minutes later, AirPlay disconnects (probably due to no activity) and Pandora puts the song on pause. No audio is heard in steps 3, 4.

Please review my trace. Thanks.

Arkie1
Opening Act

IOS 15.3.1 and has been a problem since IOS 15, running Iphone 11.  Pandora app will connect to AirPlay device and may work for a few songs but than song will still be playing but there will be no sound.  I can use other apps that support AirPlay and don't have this issue.  This only occurs with Pandora.

I have

uninstalled Pandora App and reinstalled

rebooted wireless modem

rebooted Iphone

restarted Airplay devices, I have many all do the same, Sonos, Yamaha, LG TV, etc. 

Ensure all my AirPlay devices have the latest software  

When using another music app over AirPlay I am not having the issue.  Please advise 

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@alexatn I've escalated your feedback to our engineering team so they can further investigate.

Thanks for your patience in the meantime!

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Arkie1 I moved your post over to this existing thread: iOS: Playback stops after advertisement when using AirPlay

I've enabled a trace on your account to help us better understand what's happening.

For this trace to be useful, we'll need you to run through our troubleshooting steps once more: Troubleshooting for iOS Devices

If you continue to experience issues, I would like to report your feedback to our engineers. Could you tell me more about your device?

• Device & Generation: iPhone 11
  • Carrier:
  • iOS version: IOS 15.3.
  • Pandora version: (Pandora > Profile tab > Settings gear & scroll to the bottom of the screen)
  • Are you connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data when this is happening?
  • Have you identified any other patterns or notable information?
  • Does this occur after a specific ad or does this happen after all ads?

Thanks for your help with this.

0 Kudos

Arkie1
Opening Act

Not using cellular data as AirPlay only works over Wi-Fi. 
carrier att 

iso 15.3.1

iphone 11 model MWJ02LL/A

tends to stop at end of song and does not start another song   I get adds so it might be add related   

if I close pandora and shutdown app and restarts than it will work for a few songs   After restart sometime will ask if I want a free trial   

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Arkie1 Thanks for following up with that information.

I've escalated your feedback to our engineering team so they can further investigate.

Thanks for your patience in the meantime!

0 Kudos

Arkie1
Opening Act

Plays music, commercial or couple commercials than app show music is playing but music stops playing over AirPlay. 

To get restarted I kill Pandora App and restart and it starts play music, commercial(s) than no music again.  This is not a hardware problem or Wireless issues as this occurs on different ISO devices, different networks, etc.

0 Kudos

Larry-G
Underground

The last couple of months when playing Pandora and  ads come on you don’t hear the ads ( silent) and the music never come back on ??, very frustrating. Maybe it’s a way to get you to buy a subscription?.

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @Larry-G. 👋

Sorry to hear that you're encountering this issue as well.

If you haven't already, I'll need you to run through our troubleshooting steps once more: Troubleshooting for iOS Devices

++

If you continue to experience issues with playback after an advertisement, I can report your feedback to our engineers. Could you tell me more about your device?

• Device & Generation: 
  • Carrier:
  • iOS version: 
  • Are you connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data when this is happening?
  • Does this occur after a specific ad or does this happen after all ads?

Thanks for your help with this. Let me know how it goes. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024
0 Kudos

Arkie1
Opening Act

Any updates.  Still having issues with Pandora and AirPlay.  

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, @Arkie1. 👋

Unfortunately, we do not have any updates on this issue at this time. However, an internal ticket with all the information from this thread has been shared with our engineering team. They are currently investigating. We appreciate your patience during this process and thank you for reporting your experience. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024
0 Kudos

Bricemb96
Underground
Thanks, I have went through all the troubleshooting several times.
This has been an issue on ALL iPhones and iPods ever since at least iOS 14.
This is only when the iDevice is connected to CarPlay then pandora app
fails to load the advertisement video to continue to listen to the song you
are trying to play, only work around is to disconnect your device from
CarPlay, then play the video wait until it finishes then reconnect to
CarPlay to listen to the song.
Latest version of Pandora for iOS by the way.
--
Brice M. Beneš
Notary Public-State of Florida.
0 Kudos

alexatn
Underground

@AdamPandora,  thank you for escalating.  I notice that after about 10 mins or so, if the AirPlay connection hasn't already been disconnected, music will sometimes resume at the beginning of one of the songs. Once a commercial comes, the loss of audio happens again.

0 Kudos

Arkie1
Opening Act

Sometimes it will start paying music again but that is infrequent.  Typically I wonder what happen to my music and I kill the Pandora App on my phone and restart it and than it works for a short time 3 or 4 songs and I even get some commercial over air play from time to time but usually not more than 6 songs and it stops playing sound.  The Pandora app still thinks it's playing but not sound.  I have other app that stream music over AirPlay and I don't have any issues with those so I suspect a software glitch.

0 Kudos

davidacox
Opening Act

I have followed the trouble shooting steps, and the problem continues. It looks like you may want to add me to the trace, here is the info you seem to need for that:

iPhone 12 (Model MGFX3LL/A)

Carrier: T-Mobile (but the phone is on WiFi).

iOS version: 15.4

Pandora version: 2202.1

I do not have any add blockers on my phone. I mention this as it ‘feels’ like this is some attempt by the Pandora app to work around an add blocker (i.e. adjusting volume around the commercial section).

After being added to the trace, I will record a specific time that I see the issue to compare to your logs.

Warchant1
Local Performer

Hello, I also have the same issue with the airplay speaker disconnections.

iPhone 12 Pro Max (model MG9X3LL/A)

Carrier: T-Mobile (but the phone is on WiFi).

iOS version: 15.4

Pandora version: 2202.1

The issue happens with any of 4 airplay 2 speakers I have, including a pair via a Sonos device. Also happens with my daughter’s iPhone 13 pro max

When I connect directly to the sonos device, the speakers DO NOT cut out. Only when I use the same speakers with airplay2

0 Kudos