cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android: High Data Usage

EDC321edc
Local Performer

My Pandora app shows update 12/8 and every day since it is using 4 GB of data EVERY DAY!!! Verizon is showing its all in the foreground even when it isnt being used. What is going on?????

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
14 Replies

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey, @EDC321edc. 👋

Sorry to hear about the high data usage. I checked in with our User Support team and I do see that you're a Premiums subscriber. 

Could you check to see if your cellular data is enabled for offline content?

If so, please try disabling it for now.

From a mobile device:

1. Tap the Profile tab and then the Settings gear in the top right corner.
  2. If you are a Pandora Plus subscriber, select Offline. If you are a Pandora Premium subscriber, select Audio Quality and Downloads.
  3. Toggle the switch to disable downloading over cellular.

++

If you pause the Pandora app when you're done with your listening sessions, it should be using minimal data and battery. The Android system automatically closes apps as it needs.

In the meantime, I would also recommend exiting the app by navigating to the Recent Apps menu, finding the Pandora app and then swiping it away. 

If these things don't help, would you mind trying out these steps?

Let me know if this helps with the high data usage on your phone. 📲

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024
0 Kudos

Mikey52971
Local Performer

I had the same issue, I have used 15gb of data in the last week and a half. I took the steps above to disable the offline download,  but can you explain what happend and what changed to make it do this. I have been with pandora for a long time and have never had this issue.

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @Mikey52971 Sorry for any trouble with this. Our engineers are aware of this issue and are currently working on it. 

Please keep an eye out for any updates as this is likely how the fix will be released.

We appreciate your patience in the meantime and sorry again for any inconvenience this has caused. 

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

Mjharwell
Local Performer

I have the same problem with 22gb in two weeks. It caused me to go over my 10gb data limit in the first couple days of my billing period, forcing me to upgrade to a much more expensive data plan. It's ridiculous that a service I already pay for is costing more money because of a glitch. I was already frustrated with the constant buffering and switching from offline to online to offline. Just stay offline. I'm not sure if the service is worth it anymore.

0 Kudos

BrianWA
Local Performer

There was an update today, but it made no mention about correctting high data usage. 

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey, @BrianWA @Mjharwell @EDC321edc @Mikey52971.

Thanks for sounding the alarm on this issue. I completely understand your frustration. However, I can assure you that our engineering team is working on this.

If you haven't already - please try out the basic / advanced troubleshooting steps here. Let me know if these steps help with the issue.

++

If you're still having issues after trying those steps:

• Could you confirm that you're updated to app version 1912.1?
  • Please provide a screenshot of the data usage.

Let me know so I can update the ticket I have open with our engineering team with the helpful information / screenshots you provide. 

Thanks again for making us aware of this!

Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
0 Kudos

BrianWA
Local Performer

I am updated to 1912.1, and the data issue seems to be corrected. What is Pandora going to do about the high data usage that costs us more on our data plans? Between our two phones, Pandora used over 40Gb in the beginning of the month? Our plan is a 35Gb shared plan.

0 Kudos

jolosoho
Local Performer

I’m having the same issue.  High usage for the past several months.  I actually purchased a new phone and my apps were transferred.  I had not even opened the Pandora app, yet it used 2 gb when I noticed it a few days later (of which I was at home on WiFi).  

Is there an update to this issue?

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @jolosoho. 👋

I haven't seen any recent mentions of this issue since December 2019. However, I can definitely report this for you.

• Model:
  • Carrier:
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone):
  • Build number (Settings > About Phone):
  • Android Security Patch Level, if noted on your device (Settings > About Phone):
  • Pandora version:
    • If you can open Pandora, go to Profile, then select Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the screen for the version number.
    • If you can't open Pandora: from Android Home screen > Android Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Find Pandora

Are you connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data when this is happening?

Have you identified any other patterns or notable information?

Let me know.

0 Kudos

Hydro
Local Performer

Pandora when it first came out used little to no data. Pretty sure most music apps. Cut a deal with the phone companies so that it uses more data and the apps get a cut of the money.

0 Kudos

AA3
Local Performer

Hello I have same issue of high foreground data usage .55 g after a few days. Using version 2108.1 with android on Verizon. Low quality audio setting is turn on. Is there any new fixes?

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @AA3. 👋

Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. 

Have you tried running through the standard troubleshooting steps to see if that helps with this? You can find those steps here: Android Troubleshooting

If the issue persists, could you share a couple of more details about your device?

• Model:

Let me know how it goes. 🎧

0 Kudos

Tbird2405
Local Performer

I have a free account with a samsung galaxy android.  I dont have audio on high quality plus im using data saver and the data through the app is about 1gb per hour.  What is going on and how can it be fixed?

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, @Tbird2405. 👋

Thanks for reporting your experience with the data usage.

If you pause the Pandora app when you're done with your listening sessions, it should be using minimal data and battery. The Android system automatically closes apps as it needs.

When Pandora is paused, it will use minimal data and battery, and the Android system will automatically close apps as it needs.

• You can exit the app by navigating to the Recent Apps menu, finding the Pandora app and then swiping it away. 
  • You can also find out more information about closing apps on Android devices in Find, Open & Close Apps on Android 

Android Troubleshooting + Device Details:

In the meantime, I would recommend trying out these steps to see if it helps: Android Troubleshooting

I can also share your feedback with the appropriate party. It's helpful to know the following details:

• Model:
  • Carrier:
  • Pandora version (Go to Profile, then select Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the screen for the version number):
  • Are you connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data when this is happening?

Let me know if this helps with the high data usage on your phone. 🎧

0 Kudos