cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(RESOLVED) Android: Pandora Starts Playing After Being Closed

Srzvb
Local Performer

I finally gave up tonight and deleted App. Going to be a pain to switch but I’m tired of it turning on by itself, waking me up, and/or draining my battery. Done with it.  Junk app. 

Labels (1)
367 Replies

sjzemka0
Underground

I am a T-Mobile customer. I noticed this morning that Pandora is launching as a background app all by itself within 3 - 5 minutes of the phone restarting.

Thanks for the info. I don't know what the "force stop option" is that you mention. Also, the issue I am having is ONLY when I restart the phone. It does NOT happen during the day after I have used Pandoara, only after a complete phone restart.

mod edit: merged comments

babytraytray
Opening Act

Force stop does not stop it fro happening.The next time you open your phone or restart. My husband is also having the same issue with his Pandora app, he noticed it yesterday. I also tried going in the settings>unused app settings>pause app activity if unused, clearing cache and restarting and nothing has changed it is still there upon restart.

My software information

One UI version > 5.1

Android version > 13

mod edit: merged comments

sjzemka0
Underground

Thank you for the input. I follow those same steps myself to clear the unused apps before I restart my phone. I still don't know what the "force stop" thing is.

0 Kudos

Merlyn23
Local Performer

Still broken and no update.  Engineers have no problem pushing out updates for trash no one asked for but they are useless at fixing problems.

babytraytray
Opening Act

Settings>apps>pandora>I scroll to the very bottom and I get these options...open, uninstall and force stop. It is similar to a crtl>alt>delete on a Windows computer or Amazon fire stick when the Hulu app starts getting weird again, best way I can describe it.

It forces close an application. For example if something is stuck/crashed and a normal close won't work you can force the app to stop and close. You normally would then go re-open the app and things would be good but this isn't a typical situation this is something embedded in the software. 

0 Kudos

JamminSquirrel
Underground

I'm glad that for whatever reason it has stopped auto-launching for me. I also went into the app advance settings & turmed off the "Auto-Start" option. At least that way if the app opens on its own it won't start playing. Like I said, for whatever reason I haven't had the app open on its own for almost 2 days now. I rarely restart my phone. I would suggest turning the media volume off when you go to bed. At least that way if it does start playing music you won't hear it. 

Gman1975
Underground

I am seeing this issue since the last app update on 08/31.  Pandora just starts playing automatically during the day and especially when I restart my phone or power it on.  Even though I close it out, it starts on its own and continues to keep starting and running in the background.  I have checked all settings and the only way to stop it is to force close the app.  I have cleared the cache and all data with no success.  I have removed the app entirely, restarted my phone and installed it clean.  No success.  My wife has the same phone and hers is doing it too.  The only way to stop it, is to uninstall the app which is really frustrating since I use this all the time.  I just don't want it to play automatically and randomly.  I also have noticed that the app always remains running in the background even when I close it.  I have to do a force stop to get it to stop running in the background even though I have disabled this option for the app.  This is clearly a bug that needs to be addressed ASAP.

Device Model- Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra

Carrier- Verizon

Android Version- 13

Pandora Version- 2308.1

Date/Time- Started happening on 08/31 and in the last week has gotten worse.

bplet
Local Performer

Having the same issue.  Rage Against the Machine woke me up at 3:45am this morning, and wasn't even open in my list of active apps.  Not cool Pandora, not cool at all

It also opens and plays every time the phone restarts.  Even after being "Force Stopped"

... Pixel 7 Pro, running freshly updated Android 13.

(UPDATE:  A workaround which seems to be working for me so far, is to turn off Auto Start.  In app, go to Settings>Advanced, uncheck "Enable Auto-Start".  Since turning that off, I've restarted my phone again, and this time it didn't start playing.  Hopefully that means it also won't wake me up at o-dark-thirty for no reason)

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

*Please note:This message has been Accepted as a Solution to flag the current steps and/or status of this thread. This post will be updated with more information as it is provided to the moderation team.

Pandora Status Update (09/26/23):

Hi friends ‌👋

Our engineering team is still actively working on a resolution to address the issue. Rest assured that your feedback has been instrumental in guiding our efforts to rectify the situation. We understand that this has caused inconvenience and frustration, and we genuinely appreciate your continued patience as we work towards a solution.  ‌🤝

Pandora Update (09/21/23):

Hey friends 👋

Thank you for sharing your device details as well as your experience. I've updated my original post and removed the request for additional device details. At this time, we've gather enough information to share with engineering team about this issue for them to reproduce. They are actively working on a resolution and a moderator will update this thread when we have more info to share. 

We're grateful for your diligence in spotting this issue. Thanks again for your patience. 🎧

Pandora Update (09/18/23): Hi friends 👋

Thank you for raising the alarm regarding this issue.

Our engineering team is currently investigating. In the meantime, all reports from this thread are being shared on an internal ticket with our tech team. 

Something to note: I've seen a few posts regarding the "AutoStart" setting available for Premium subscribers. This issue is impacting all subscription tiers; adjusting this setting will not resolve the issue. 

While we don't have any new information to share right now, rest assured we will keep you updated on this thread when we do. We appreciate your patience while this is being worked on behind the scenes. 🎧

Pandora Update (09/15/2023): Hi friends 👋 

Thank you for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback about your experience with the Pandora app playing without being prompted. We've shared (and will continue to share) all feedback provided on this thread with our tech team. When we received updates, the moderation team will post them here.

We appreciate your patience during the investigation process. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

vanmcqueen9
Local Performer

I'm having the same issue. Although it does occasionally start on it's own, I cannot understand why it won't leave my notifications screen. It sits on top, like the email and event notifications. I swipe right to clear it, and it stays there, small with the control buttons. I have a Samsung Galaxy S21FE, it's been happening since the beginning of the year. 

Destroyer4x4
Local Performer

Still happening to me over the last 2 days.  

• Your device model:  Galaxy S20 FE 5G
  • Carrier:  TMobile
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone):  13
  • Pandora version (Go to Profile, then select Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the screen for the version number):  2308.1
  • The approximate date / time this occurred:  9-15-23 @ 1345 CST
0 Kudos

Rlp122
Local Performer

Happens every day on my old Galaxy 7.  Happened @1:30am on my Pixel Pro.

• Your device model:  Pixel 7 Pro
  • Carrier:  Verizon
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone):  13
  • Pandora version (Go to Profile, then select Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the screen for the version number):  2308.1
  • The approximate date / time this occurred:  9-15-23 @ 1:30am MST
0 Kudos

Jenni_mari
Underground

This morning at 3 AM this happened to me! Scared the hell out of my husband and I both deeply asleep. It actually kept playing randomly during the day yesterday, and I made sure all apps were closed before I went to bed. I hate to uninstall but that was startling!

Android v 13

Samsung S23 ultra

Pandora V 2308.1 (android tuner 23081005)

PJG
Underground

Hello Alyssa,

Ok, the info is below:

• Your device model: Samsung Galaxy A54 5G
  • Carrier:  Xfinity
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone):  Android Version 13
  • Pandora version (Go to Profile, then select Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the screen for the version number): Pandora Version 2308.1
  • The approximate date / time this occurred - This has been happening every day, sometimes multiple times in the day. It did it today, earlier this afternoon 09/15/23

I'll try the troubleshooting and see if that helps.

Thanks, PJ

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, @PJG @Srzvb @Jenni_mari @Rlp122 @Destroyer4x4 @vanmcqueen9. 👋

Your individual feedback has been reported to the appropriate team, and we will keep you updated on any progress on this thread. 

Thank you for reporting and for providing your device details. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

babytraytray
Opening Act
  • Your device model: Samsung Galaxy Note 20 5G
  • Carrier:  T-Mobile
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone):  Android Version 13
  • Pandora version (Go to Profile, then select Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the screen for the version number): Pandora Version 2308.1
  • The approximate date / time this occurred - 09/15/2023 around 2am also my husband has the same information for phone and app as myself and noticed his started 09/14/2023. He is not a member of the chat community but on my family plan

Yellyd2010
Underground

It was Biggie Smalls for me 3a yesterday & Mariah Carey just now 🤦🏾‍♀️

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Yellyd2010 Your feedback has now been passed along to the engineers who are currently looking into this issue.

In the meantime, please make sure to run through the troubleshooting steps @AlyssaPandora provided in her message above - if that does not resolve your issue, please reply back to this thread with the following information:

• Your device model:
  • Carrier:
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone):
  • Pandora version (Go to Profile, then select Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the screen for the version number): 
  • The approximate date / time this occurred 

Thank you for working with us on this.

RIska1
Local Performer

Pandoras randomly opening on my Google Pixel 7. My carrier is xfinity. Android vs 13pwndora vs 2308.1 Android tuner ..23081005 820 am but happened a bunch last night and again a few times this morning. Uninstalled reinstalled and it happened again.. guess I'll have to uninstall for now..sad... 

0 Kudos

scootie
Local Performer

Same problem here. It has existed for many months (probably a couple years, really) for me. I use Pandora occasionally but it's always running in the background. I'll force close it and it will come back later. Sometimes it pops up with the full notification as if it is playing music but just paused. Uses battery, too. The Android battery monitor always has it there using a  couple % of my battery.

I'm using a Pixel 6 Pro with the latest update of software. On Verizon but happens on both WiFi and Data.