cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android: Persistent player notification / Background activity when app is closed

Phantomstormy
Underground

Hello,

I've had a similar problem a few weeks ago (Pandora unpausing when I didn't ask it to), but it didn't happen as often as others commented above. However, I think it stopped on its own but with with a new problem in its place. When I have Pandora closed, a notification saying, "Unknown by Unknown" pops up on my notification screen and I cannot get rid of it. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app, and it still persists. How may I solve both of these problems should the both continue?

Thank you for your time.

Moderator Edit: Changing title for clarity

Labels (1)
196 Replies

sethsmama2006
Local Performer

Yes, I too am having this problem....& when I close it down... it shows up again a little while later as running in background.  This happens all day long.  I have an Android-Galaxy Ultra 23

Listener001
Not applicable

The system won't allow me to delete my post. I won't get any help, so I'm out.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Listener001 I've unmarked your post as spam and moved it over to this existing thread: Android: Pandora player notification appears when app is closed

While I don't have any new information to share, you can find the latest update in the accepted solution.

In the meantime, I've passed this along to the appropriate parties for further investigation. We'll follow up with you if we need any additional details.

Thanks for your patience!

0 Kudos

Schector
Local Performer

On mobile I keep getting notifications of a song Weather I played it or not

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @Schector. 👋

Sorry for the continued trouble. I moved your post over to this existing thread: Android: Persistent player notification appears when app is closed

Please check out the accepted solution for the thread for all updates and troubleshooting. Something to note: The accepted as a solution is meant flag the current steps and/or status of the thread. This post will be updated with more information as it is provided to the moderation team. 

We appreciate your patience during this process. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What song fits your mood today?
Check out new tunes this week: New Music: Picks of the Week (04.22.24) 
0 Kudos

Bakedtaterz
Local Performer

Every morning, I power up my phone, and the first thing it does is open the pandora app on its own. I need this to stop. It's quite annoying especially when I'm in a meeting and all of a sudden my music starts playing. How do I stop it from opening up everytime I power up my phone? It's been happening for months and I'm close to switching music apps because of this.

Taco77
Underground

Same, it's a joke. 

Now with the new Ford update my phone was running some random Pandora song that I didn't approve and I was trying to play Pandora on the radio in my car through Android auto and both songs are playing on top of each other at the same time and I couldn't close either one. So many bugs in this program it's really not worth it anymore I think I might have to delete my account. Constantly runs in the background notification is always on the screen I keep swiping clothes it comes back it's just so invasive. 

mod edit: merged comments
0 Kudos

meffie
Local Performer

So I have been using Pandora for years, on multiple Samsungs, currently S23 Note Ultra and the only issue I have is Pandora never seems to close. It always shows the "notification" that a song is loaded and ready.

This morning however, it randomly started playing and woke me up while phone was asleep and on DND. I have auto resume etc off, always has been.

Super annoying, and my wife is pissed. I pay for premium too. Maybe its time to stop supporting pandora and switch to Spotify. There is no reason I have to constantly look at a Pandora song notification, and especially no reason for it to randomly play

0 Kudos

Dynamicduo
Local Performer

This has happened to me too since the last update. If it isn't fixed soon I'm going to cancel Pandora. I see in the community post that you were working on it in September here it is December and obviously it still happening

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Dynamicduo I'd be happy to help with any questions you have, but I will need additional information to do so.

Can you explain your issue a bit further?

Are you experiencing the same issue reported in this thread?:

The more details you're able to provide, the better equipped I'll be to help.

I look forward to hearing back.

0 Kudos

Ridinglineman
Local Performer

Why is the app running in the background after signing out of the app. Wasting battery and annoying

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Ridinglineman Can you please send me a screenshot of where you see the app is still running in the background?

(Please note you won't be able to attach images via email - you will need to open this Community link in a web browser in order to provide attachments)

Thanks for working with me on this.

0 Kudos

Smedley
Local Performer

I don't have this option on my android version 2310.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Smedley I'd be happy to help with any questions you have, but I will need additional information to do so.

Please check out @TannerPandora's message above and confirm with us your exact experience.

We'd like to clarify if audio is actually playing from your device and you can hear sound, or if you are only noticing that the notification player is opening (with no sound playing on your device).

The more details you're able to provide, the better equipped I'll be to help.

I look forward to hearing back.

0 Kudos

dc195
Underground

Perhaps this will help others in this confusing thread:

Settings > Smart Manage > Auto Start > turn off Pandora.

This fixed my problem and might fix others.

Dale

0 Kudos

dc195
Underground

Yes, I thought everybody knew this 😉

0 Kudos

oooo8
Underground

I have been having the random auto start issue with Pandora on and off for a while that many other people have complained about and have not been able to solve.  I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that Pandora is constantly phoning home to stats-proto.pandora.com and stats.pandora.com.   It happens every 5 minutes even when Pandora is not running.   I find this behavior unacceptable and will be uninstalling it from my Android device and cancelling my subscription.  I have posted about this before but it seems my post was somehow deleted.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@oooo8 We'd like to clarify if audio is actually playing from your device and you can hear sound, or if you are only noticing that the notification player is opening (with no sound playing on your device).

Please check out @TannerPandora's message above and confirm with us your exact experience.

Let me know.

0 Kudos

oooo8
Underground

No audio is playing most of the time.  I have had very rare occasions where music starts playing without any interaction on my part.  Usually, the notification just pops up out of nowhere when I have not used Pandora recently but does not start playing.  Much of the time there is no sign that Pandora is even running besides the fact that it is performing DNS queries every 5 minutes to the previously mentioned domains.  I have no idea what functionality besides tracking would require that.  Being a very seasoned developer, I have hunted down other apps that have displayed similar behavior, which turned out to be tracking without my consent.  I have not gotten to the point of intercepting and decrypting the traffic yet. Since I have uninstalled the app and cancelled my subscription, I am not going to bother going that far.  To me, that is suspicious behavior, and I will not re-install or re-subscribe until a reasonable explanation for that behavior is provided.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@oooo8 Thanks for following up.

I moved your post over to this existing thread: Android: Persistent player notification appears when app is closed

Your feedback has now been added to the ticket we have open with our engineering team.

Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

0 Kudos