cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android: Playback stops when screen Locked or App Backgrounded

Marcia13
Underground

Pandora randomly stops playing on Android

Has this problem ever been resolved?  It seems lots of folks have had this same problem but I couldn't find a definitive reason why or a solution.  I have a Pixel 4A 5G and just started a paid subscription a few days ago.  I can listen for about thirty minutes or so, and then for no apparent reason, it stops.  The only way to get it started again is to exit the app and then try again.  This glitch needs to be fixed...please!

mod edit: changed title for clarity

Labels (1)
69 Replies

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @angeldebord. 👋

Sounds like you've already run through these steps: Troubleshooting for Android Devices

Could you share a few more details around your experience?

• Have you encountered any error messages? If so, what exactly does it say?
  • Does this happen the app is backgrounded or when your screen is locked?
  • Also, does the app shut down? Or, does the music stop but load again when you open the app?

Thanks for your help with this. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What song fits your mood today?
Check out new tunes this week:New Music: Picks of the Week (04.29.24)
0 Kudos

angeldebord
Underground
When it's backgrounded, and even if I'm in the app and screen is locked. No
error messages. And no it does not reload music when I open the app back
up, I have to re click on my station I was listening to.

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for getting back to me with those details, @angeldebord. I moved your post over to this existing thread to keep everything organized: Android: Playback stops when screen Locked or App Backgrounded

I would recommend checking out the accepted solution for this thread. I've included some steps below:

Disable Battery Optimization:

When updating the OS on Android devices, the battery optimization on all apps may be automatically turned back on by default. This can cause performance issues or interfere with playback when the app is backgrounded.

Please try the following steps:

• Open your device Settings and then Apps.
  • Scroll to find Pandora or use Search in the upper right hand corner.
  • Select Battery
  • Next select Unrestricted.

Due to the numerous models of Android devices, we are unable to provide step by step instructions for every device. Please look up the steps to manage battery optimization for the specific make and model of your device and disable this for the Pandora app if the above does not apply.

Hope this is helpful. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What song fits your mood today?
Check out new tunes this week:New Music: Picks of the Week (04.29.24)
0 Kudos

angeldebord
Underground

I changed setting to unrestricted, I cleared the cache data as a research said to try that and that did not help either. It is still kicking me out of my stations and sending me to my list of stations....

0 Kudos

murphy2u
Underground

App stops playback if screen is off.  Already submitted a support request ticket but received no reply.  Posting here based on link being provided in reply to my app review noting this issue (as many have).  I sequenced through steps listed on page 1 (again) with no change.  Providing the following information as requested at the bottom of page 1:

• Model: Samsung S20 5G
  • Carrier: Verizon (phone is unlocked though)
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone): Android 13 (One UI v5.1)
  • Pandora version: 2405.1 (reinstalled)
  • Are you connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data when this is happening? Happens in both cases
  • Have you identified any other patterns or notable information?
    Only started in last ~month for me, probably in conjunction with a software update; I have been a Pandora user and paid subscriber for years without issue, including previously with this device.
    Note: you may want to update your troubleshoot steps to note that you cannot add Pandora to the Never auto sleeping apps list once battery use is set to Unrestricted under Apps.
0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @murphy2u 

Welcome to community!

Sorry to hear that setting your battery to unrestricted didn't help resolve this for you. I appreciate you providing your device details, it's very helpful. I've gone ahead and passed this along to our engineering team for further review.

Thank for your patience!

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

murphy2u
Underground

@TannerPandora - will someone from the engineering team reach out to me?  I do not yet have any reply to my issue submitted via application issue support.  Thank you for your clarification.

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @murphy2u 

I checked in with our support team and I'm not seeing a case associated with the email address on your Pandora account.

Did you use a different email address? If yes, I'll reach out to you privately to follow up, please do not post your email publicly on community.

If it's the same email address, can you let me know if you submitted through Pandora Help?

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

murphy2u
Underground

I submitted using the in-app support request, including the same email used for my account (and is the same email for my paid subscription), but clearly that just gets circular filed. 

I'll resubmit everything again using the link you provided (will be my 4th communication of this with Pandora...).  Thank you for you  efforts to at least provide a helpful reply.

@TannerPandora -- the link you provided is just the general help page--that is not useful.  I will now attempt to search that page and its linked pages to find where I can resubmit my support ticket.  Why not just provide a direct link to where I can submit another ticket?

@TannerPandora - I've resubmitted via the send email link (note that there are no relevant help page search results using the terms ticket, submit, report, problem).  
chrome_wFWrDeWIJn.png
Moderator Edit: Merged posts

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @murphy2u 

I am a little confused with the method you're reaching out to us. Pandora doesn't offer an in-app support request through our app.

Most support inquiries go through our Help page website. From the Menu Bar on our Help Page, tap on More, then tap Contact Support.

You can also use this - direct link - to contact our support team through email.

For a complete list of the ways to contact Pandora, please visit the thread - How to contact customer service.

If you continue to have trouble, I can create a support case for you and escalate to our Support Team.

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos