cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Usage + Offline Downloads

TexasJerry
Underground

If I am playing a downloaded station and hit a thumbs up, does it impact my data use by altering the playlist that has already been downloaded? Wondering if using the thumbs up while listening to a downloaded station will increase data use. Or will it take this into account the next time that the station updates? Do downloaded stations update themselves periodically and does this only happen on wifi?

How do I turn off cellular data usage for Pandora? I only want to play music that I have downloaded over WiFi. 

Thanks

mod edit: format

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @TexasJerry. 👋

Nice to see you around the community space. Forgive the length of this post as I'd like to address your concerns fully. 😄

Data Usage with Pandora in your Car:

At this time, all Pandora automotive implementations require you to use a compatible iPhone or Android with an active internet connection, which may result in data usage.

• When listening to Pandora on most mobile devices, we use a highly-tuned 64Kbps AAC+ codec for the High quality setting. That works out to 8.2 KiloBytes (8.2KB) per second, or roughly 500KB per minute. Figuring in additional content, such as information about the music and advertising, usage will likely be in the neighborhood of 35MB per hour.
  • The Normal quality setting is half of this figure.

Since there are a lot of external variables at play, it's not possible for me to give a more concrete answer regarding your usage. Most cell phone providers do offer the option to track your monthly data usage. The best thing to do is familiarize yourself with the specifics of your own data plan. For example - check your data before using Pandora, listen to Pandora for 30 minutes, and then check your data usage again. This should give you an idea of how much data Pandora will use on your phone.

It might also be helpful to contact your mobile service provider directly. They should be able to provide you more information.

++

Data with Offline Listening:

Looks like you're a Pandora Premium subscriber, which also means you have offline listening capabilities. Offline listening will not use data on your device.

• Downloading only happens on Wi-Fi, unless you've opted-in to downloading over cellular connections in your settings. In that way, it will only affect your data usage if you want it to.
  • Finally, please note that Pandora will never use the last 500 MB of storage on your device.
  • When Pandora detects that there is not enough storage on your device for all of your offline stations, we will download as many stations as we possibly can. Most stations take up anywhere from 300 MB-700MB depending on the types of stations you listen to. For example, classical may take up more space than a pop station.

++

Offline Stations / Content:

Your three most popular stations (along with Thumbprint Radio) will automatically download for you to access in Offline Mode. If you have not yet added Thumbprint Radio, please let me know.

• As a Pandora Premium subscriber, if you'd like to download content for offline listening, you can tap the icon with the arrow pointing downwardThis can be found on station, album and playlist pages, or, to download a track, tap the three dots on the Now Playing screen. Keep in mind, this button will only appear for eligible tracks.
  • If you change your mind during any point of the downloading process, simply tap the download button again, and we'll stop and delete any downloaded content.
  • If you lose connection while downloading, we'll save your spot with your partially downloaded playlists, albums and stations. The next time you gain a signal, we'll attempt to complete the download process for you.

Your offline collection will be removed if you uninstall or sign out of the Pandora app, or if you are unable to re-establish a connection with Pandora via a Wi-Fi or mobile network within 30 days. This may require you to re-download your offline tunes.

I hope this information is helpful. Let me know if you have any additional questions. I'm always happy to help. 🎧

*Use your mobile device only when conditions allow and as permitted by applicable law.

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What song fits your mood today?
Check out new tunes this week: New Music: Picks of the Week (04.09.24)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @TexasJerry. 👋

Nice to see you around the community space. Forgive the length of this post as I'd like to address your concerns fully. 😄

Data Usage with Pandora in your Car:

At this time, all Pandora automotive implementations require you to use a compatible iPhone or Android with an active internet connection, which may result in data usage.

• When listening to Pandora on most mobile devices, we use a highly-tuned 64Kbps AAC+ codec for the High quality setting. That works out to 8.2 KiloBytes (8.2KB) per second, or roughly 500KB per minute. Figuring in additional content, such as information about the music and advertising, usage will likely be in the neighborhood of 35MB per hour.
  • The Normal quality setting is half of this figure.

Since there are a lot of external variables at play, it's not possible for me to give a more concrete answer regarding your usage. Most cell phone providers do offer the option to track your monthly data usage. The best thing to do is familiarize yourself with the specifics of your own data plan. For example - check your data before using Pandora, listen to Pandora for 30 minutes, and then check your data usage again. This should give you an idea of how much data Pandora will use on your phone.

It might also be helpful to contact your mobile service provider directly. They should be able to provide you more information.

++

Data with Offline Listening:

Looks like you're a Pandora Premium subscriber, which also means you have offline listening capabilities. Offline listening will not use data on your device.

• Downloading only happens on Wi-Fi, unless you've opted-in to downloading over cellular connections in your settings. In that way, it will only affect your data usage if you want it to.
  • Finally, please note that Pandora will never use the last 500 MB of storage on your device.
  • When Pandora detects that there is not enough storage on your device for all of your offline stations, we will download as many stations as we possibly can. Most stations take up anywhere from 300 MB-700MB depending on the types of stations you listen to. For example, classical may take up more space than a pop station.

++

Offline Stations / Content:

Your three most popular stations (along with Thumbprint Radio) will automatically download for you to access in Offline Mode. If you have not yet added Thumbprint Radio, please let me know.

• As a Pandora Premium subscriber, if you'd like to download content for offline listening, you can tap the icon with the arrow pointing downwardThis can be found on station, album and playlist pages, or, to download a track, tap the three dots on the Now Playing screen. Keep in mind, this button will only appear for eligible tracks.
  • If you change your mind during any point of the downloading process, simply tap the download button again, and we'll stop and delete any downloaded content.
  • If you lose connection while downloading, we'll save your spot with your partially downloaded playlists, albums and stations. The next time you gain a signal, we'll attempt to complete the download process for you.

Your offline collection will be removed if you uninstall or sign out of the Pandora app, or if you are unable to re-establish a connection with Pandora via a Wi-Fi or mobile network within 30 days. This may require you to re-download your offline tunes.

I hope this information is helpful. Let me know if you have any additional questions. I'm always happy to help. 🎧

*Use your mobile device only when conditions allow and as permitted by applicable law.

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What song fits your mood today?
Check out new tunes this week: New Music: Picks of the Week (04.09.24)
0 Kudos

TexasJerry
Underground

Thank you. Sounds like my solution is just to leave my phone in offline listening mode. 

0 Kudos

TexasJerry
Underground

One more question. If I leave my phone in offline listening mode will it still update the playlist or do I need to take it out of offline listening mode once every 30 days. 

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @TexasJerry!

You'll want to establish a connection with Pandora via Wi-Fi or a mobile network at least once within 30-days so Pandora can update your thumbs and musical content.  If you're unable to establish a connection, your offline content may be removed after the 30-day period. So it's really important to try.

Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos