cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to cache recent plays on Android app

amoebob
Opening Act

If I switch back and forth between the same two songs on the Android app (v1912.1), the songs get repeatedly downloaded. This causes several seconds of silence between every click and the start of playback. It also causes dramatically more data usage than is necessary.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey, @amoebob. 👋

Thanks for your post!

It sounds like you're switching between two songs from your device.

• Are you listening to a playlist? 
  • Or, are you listening to two songs that you've collected / downloaded already?

Let me know.

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024
0 Kudos

amoebob
Opening Act

I'm talking about searching for an artist, selecting an album, and playing it. No advance playlisting, collecting, downloading, etc. Tap the first song on the album, wait for it to download, start listening. Tap the second song on the album, wait for it to download, start listening. Then, return to the first song on the album and it will download that song all over again. It's as if there is no cache at all. It makes exploring an album feel less responsive than Spotify.

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @amoebob Could you clarify what you mean by downloading when you tap the song? Unless you're downloading content for offline listening, you should be able to listen to an album without having to download the content first.

I wasn't able to replicate this on my end. Could you give me an example of an album that this is happening on and I can take closer look. 

Let me know. 

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

amoebob
Opening Act

I think we're confusing each other over the word download. When I say download, I mean it in the traditional sense of transmitting several megabytes of data to my device.

If I am using Spotify and I click on the first song of an album, the beginning of the song is transmitted to my device, I start to hear the song, and the rest of the song gets transmitted in the background soon after. Ditto when I click on the second song of that album. However, if I click on the first song again, it will begin playing right away, as it is already in a temporary cache on my device. I can play those two songs over and over without any delay and without having to download their contents from the mobile network over and over against.

If I am using Pandora, and return back to the first song, I need to wait several seconds for those same several megabytes of data to be sent over the mobile network all over again before the song starts.

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Thanks for the clarification @amoebob, it was helpful. 

Does this happen on WiFi, Cellular or both?

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

amoebob
Opening Act

I believe both. Over WiFi, I can see the device request a burst of data from the network each time. Over cellular, there is a delay before the song starts playing, which I am assuming to be caused by the same network activity except that the cellular network is slower.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@amoebob I recommend running through the troubleshooting steps listed here to see if it resolves the issue for you. 

Let me know how it goes.

0 Kudos