cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This Day In The History Of Music.

Elvis Presley made his first public appearance as a singer on this day. It did not go well: he came fifth in a local talent show. But he was only ten years old. October 3, 1945; Chopin: The Day the Music Died The brief life of Chopin, one of music’s earliest superstars, ended on this day when the sickly composer fell victim to tuberculosis.  Source- | This Day In Music. For those who may not know. Elvis Presley was known as the King of Rock-n-Roll. 

P.S I am thinking about posting each day. If anyone in the Pandora community would like to add or suggest this post, then please do. I welcome all who are interested. Thank you. Take care everyone, and please stay safe as well.

25af85826df226c58a2984b3ec315386.jpg

P.S. I will be using two sources of information for "This Day In The History Of Music". The first source is This Day In Music and the second source is On This Day in Music History. And for the faithful readers of this post, you probably have also noticed I use a third source when the two sources that I do use are not in agreement with the facts, the third source will always be listed. When the third source has to be used I will always list it as a (Side Note:) and it will always be highlighted in bold red just as you see it now. When I have to use a third source it will normally agree with one of the other two sources, that is when I will agree with that information, in the case where the third source also differs from the other two I will just go with the first date and information given. When this happens I will leave it up to the reader to look into the fact and or facts for that blog, and please feel free to leave a reply about any additional information you may have found, and please list the source and or sources that you used for that additional information. I try my very best to add nothing but true facts to this post, and I will always give the source that I took those facts. When I add my own personal opinion I will do so as a side note as well, but that will be highlighted in bold blue. I do hope you enjoy reading this post, history has always been my favorite subject throughout my whole life, from grade school through college, and even to this day. 

Take care and stay safe. 

mod edit: format

MOHLovesAlaska
579 Replies

Good Tuesday morning, welcome to This Day In The History Of Music. Enjoy the read.  

1). On this day in 1713, Italian composer Antonio Vivaldi's first opera "Ottone in villa" opens at Teatro Delle Grazie in Vicenza, the Republic of Venice (now Italy). Born in Venice, the capital of the Venetian Republic, Vivaldi is regarded as one of the greatest Baroque composers. His influence during his lifetime was widespread across Europe, giving origin to many imitators and admirers, and was paramount in the development of Johann Sebastian Bach's instrumental music and the French concerto (Michel Corrette, Jean-Joseph de Mondonville, Louis-Nicholas Clérambault). Vivaldi composed many instrumental concertos, for the violin and a variety of other musical instruments, as well as sacred choral works and more than fifty operas. His best-known work is a series of violin concertos known as the Four Seasons. Many of his compositions were written for the all-female music ensemble of the Ospedale Della Pietà, a home for abandoned children. Vivaldi had worked as a Catholic priest for 18 months and was employed from 1703 to 1715 and from 1723 to 1740. Vivaldi also had some success with expensive stagings of his operas in Venice, Mantua, and Vienna. After meeting Emperor Charles VI, Vivaldi moved to Vienna, hoping for royal support. However, the Emperor died soon after Vivaldi's arrival, and Vivaldi himself died in poverty less than a year later.

2). On this day in 1963, The Monterey Jazz Festival held its sixth annual September weekend concert series, which included the launch of Dizzy Gillespie’s presidential campaign, a Modern Jazz Quartet dedication to Martin Luther King Jr, the festival debuts of Miles Davis and Thelonious Monk, and what would prove to be one of Jack Teagarden’s final appearances. The festival also featured Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, Peter Paul, and Mary. The 1967 Monterey Rock festival is remembered for the first major American appearances by Jimi Hendrix and The Who as well as the first major public performances of Janis Joplin. It was also the first major performance by Otis Redding in front of a predominantly white audience.

3). On this day in 1964, Bob Dylan made his first major concert UK appearance when he played at the Royal Festival Hall in London with an afternoon show listed as a ‘Folksong Concert’. Dylan's 18-song set included the live debut of Mr. Tambourine Man and took place on a Sunday afternoon. In the interval, Dylan received a telegram from John Lennon seeking a meeting that never materialized.

4). On this day in 1966, During a UK tour, Bob Dylan appeared at The Free Trade Hall in Manchester. This was the concert where a member of the audience shouted out ‘Judas’ at Dylan unhappy with the singer's move from acoustic to rock. Dylan replied ‘You’re a liar, the entire concert was eventually officially released in The Bootleg Series by Sony Music in 1999.

5). On this day in 1967, Working at Abbey Road studios The Beatles began recording a new John Lennon song ‘You Know My Name (Look Up the Number)’. The song was not finished until November 1969 and was not released until March 1970 (as the B-side of the ‘Let it Be’ single).

6). On this day in 1967, Working at the Capitol Recording Studio in HollywoodGlen Campbell recorded 'Gentle On My Mind,' a song written by John Hartford and arranged by Leon Russell. The song went on to win won four Grammy Awards the following year and became the theme of the television variety show, The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour between 1969 and 1972.

7). On this day in 1971, Godspell is a musical composed by Stephen Schwartz with the book by John-Michael Tebelak. The show opened off-Broadway on May 17, 1971, and has since been produced by multiple touring companies and in many revivals. The 2011 revival played on Broadway from October 13, 2011, through June 24, 2012. The musical is structured as a series of parables, primarily based on the Gospel of Matthew. The parables are interspersed with music set primarily to lyrics from traditional hymns, with the passion of Christ appearing briefly near the end of the show.

😎. On this day in 1973, "You Are the Sunshine of My Life" is 1973 single released by Stevie Wonder. The song became Wonder's third number-one single on the Billboard Hot 100 chart and his first number-one on the Easy Listening chart. It won Wonder a Grammy Award for Best Male Pop Vocal Performance and was nominated for both Record of the Year and Song of the Year. This song was the second single released from the 1972 album entitled Talking Book, which stayed at number one on the R&B albums chart for three weeks.

9). On this day in 1975, Led Zeppelin played the first of five sold-out nights to 17,000 fans at Earls Court Arena, London England. The setlist included: Rock And Roll, The Song Remains The Same, The Rain Song, Kashmir, No Quarter, Going To California, Dazed And Confused, Stairway To Heaven, Whole Lotta Love, and Black Dog. Tickets cost £1 ($1.70) - £2.50 ($4.25).

10). On this day in 1985, (Whitney Houston) Eight years after Benson's original recording, the song became even more well known for a version by Whitney Houston, whose 1985 cover (with the slightly amended title "Greatest Love of All") eventually topped the charts, peaking at number one in the United States, Australia, Canada and on the US R&B chart in early 1986.

11). On this day in 1993, "Chattahoochee" is a song co-written and recorded by American country music artist Alan Jackson. It was released in May 1993 as the third single from his album A Lot About Livin' (And a Little 'bout Love). The album is named for a line in the song itself. Jackson wrote the song with Jim McBride. "Chattahoochee" also received CMA awards for Single of the Year and Song of the year.

12). On this day in 1996, US blues guitarist Johnny Guitar Watson died of a heart attack while on tour in Yokohama, Japan. According to eyewitness reports, he collapsed mid guitar solo. His last words were "ain't that a **ahem**." His ferocious 'Space Guitar' single of 1954 pioneered guitar feedback and reverb.

13). On this day in 2002, U.S. songwriter Sharon Sheeley dies from a cerebral hemorrhage, Sheeley wrote her first song, "Poor Little Fool", which Ricky Nelson recorded. In 1958, it became Nelson's first US No. 1 and the Billboard Hot 100's first No. 1. At age 18, Sheeley was the youngest woman to write an American number-one hitJerry Capehart, the manager and songwriting partner of Eddie Cochran, then agreed to look after Sheeley's interests, and she and Cochran began a relationship. She wrote "Love Again" and "Cherished Memories" for Cochran and the 1959 hit "Somethin' Else" with Eddie's brother Bob Cochran. Her other songwriting credits included "Hurry Up", recorded by Ritchie Valens. In April 1960, she traveled to the United Kingdom to join Cochran and Gene Vincent, who was touring there. She and Cochran were reported as being "unofficially engaged". She recorded a song, "Homework", with producer Jack Good. On the night of April 16, 1960, Sheeley, Vincent and Cochran were traveling in a private hire taxi from a concert in Bristol to London Heathrow Airport when it slammed into a lamp post near Chippenham. All three were rushed to a hospital. Cochran, who had been thrown from the vehicle, suffered fatal brain injuries and died the next day, at the age of 21. Sheeley suffered a broken pelvis, and Vincent broke his ribs and collarbone and added further damage to his already weak leg. Following the accident she returned to the US, where she collaborated with musician-songwriter Jackie DeShannon on a string of hits, including Brenda Lee's "Dum Dum" and "Heart in Hand", The Fleetwoods' "He's the Great Imposter" and Irma Thomas's "Breakaway". She also co-wrote songs with Chris Curtis of The Searchers, including "Night Time" recorded by Paul and Barry Ryan.

14). On this day in 2012, Donna Summer, the 1970s pop singer known as the Queen of Disco, died of lung cancer, an illness she believed she contracted from inhaling toxic particles released after the September 11th terrorist attacks in New York. She won five Grammy Awards, six American Music Awards, and had three multi-platinum albums, including the hits 'Hot Stuff', 'Love to Love You, and 'Baby', and 'I Feel Love'.

15). On this day in 2015, The 24th Billboard Music Awards Taylor Swift wins the top music artist award along with 7 other awards. 

16). On this day in 2015, Rapper Chinx was shot and killed in Queens, New York. The 31-year-old, who was part of French Montana's Coke Boys group, was riding in a car in the early hours of the morning when another vehicle pulled up and opened fire. He was hit in the torso and chest and died later at a Queens hospital.

17). Born on this day in 1921, Bob Merrill was an American songwriter, theatrical composer, lyricist, and screenwriter. He was the most successful songwriter of the 1950s on the US and UK Singles Chart. He wrote musicals for the Broadway stage, including Carnival! and Funny Girl.

18). Born on this day in 1931, Walter Dewey Redman was an American saxophonist who performed free jazz as a bandleader and with Ornette Coleman and Keith Jarrett. Redman mainly played tenor saxophone, though he occasionally also played alto, the Chinese suona, and clarinet. His son is saxophonist Joshua Redman.

19). Born on this day in 1942, Henry St. Claire Fredericks, Jr. better known by his stage name Taj Mahal, is an American blues musician, singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, actor, and film, composer. He plays the guitar, piano, banjo, harmonica, and many other instruments, often incorporating elements of world music into his work.

20). Born on this day in 1944, Jesse Winchester, was a Canadian folk singer, and songwriter. His songs have been covered by many artists including Patti Page, Elvis Costello, Jimmy Buffett, Joan Baez, Anne Murray, Reba McEntire, The Everly Brothers, and Emmylou Harris. He died on April 11, 2014.

21). Born on this day in 1961, Enya Ni Bhraonain, from the Irish family band Clannad had the 1982 UK No.5 single 'Harry's Game'. Enya had the solo, 1988 UK No.1 single 'Orinoco Flow', and the 2001 US No.2 album 'A Day Without Rain'. Enya is Ireland's biggest selling solo artist and second overall behind U2 with an estimated 75 million records sold worldwide.

22). Born on this day in 1974, Andrea Corr, singer, tin whistle, piano with Irish group The Corrs. Had the 1998 UK No.3 single 'What Can I Do' and their 'Talk On Corners' was the best-selling UK album of 1998, spending 142 weeks on the UK chart. Andrea released her debut album, Ten Feet High, in 2007. Along with her siblings, she was appointed an honorary M.B.E. in 2005.

Have a great Tuesday, take care, and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@MOHLovesAlaska Thanks for today's post! I love Vivaldi, especially the Four Seasons. 

Hope you're having a nice start to your week. ☀️

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

Good evening to all the faithful readers of this post. I want to first and foremost apologize for not posting regularly, this has been one of my most busiest years in quite some time. It looks as though I will not have any time to post until my season ends, and that will not be until the first or second week of October. I do miss posting on this post but my work is my priority. Until then please take care and stay healthy and safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska

Good Wednesday morning, and welcome back to This Day In The History Of Music. Enjoy the read.

1. On this day in 1845: Richard Wagner's opera "Tannhäuser" premieres in Dresden. Primarily known for his operas. Unlike most opera composers, he wrote both the libretto and the music for each of his stage works. His life was characterized by political exile, turbulent love affairs, poverty, and repeated flight from his creditors. His most famous opera include "The Flying Dutchman" and "The Ring of the Nibelung".

2. On this day in1966: The Yardbirds arrived in New York for their first US tour with Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page on lead guitars. After two dates of the tour, Beck developed acute tonsillitis and quit the group. He would go on to form The Jeff Beck Group, which gave Rod Stewart his first major exposure.

3. On this day in1968: Humble Pie 18-year-old Peter Frampton meets Steve Marriott at a Small Faces shows in London. After striking up a friendship, the two started planning a new group which emerged as Humble Pie next April. Frampton was also a member of the band Herd.

4: On this day in1968: On their farewell tour Cream appeared in Los Angeles, California, where live recordings were made which were included on the 'Goodbye Cream' album which was released the following year. Members included Eric Clapton (guitar/vocals), Jack Bruce (bass/vocals), and Ginger Baker (drums). Jack Bruce died of liver disease on 25 October 2014, in Suffolk, England, aged 71. 

5. On this day in 1975: "A Chorus Line", The original Broadway production ran for 6,137 performances, becoming the longest-running production in Broadway history until surpassed by Cats in 1997, and the longest-running Broadway musical originally produced in the US, until surpassed in 2011 by the revival of Chicago. It remains the seventh longest-running Broadway show ever. A Chorus Line's success has spawned many successful productions worldwide. It began a lengthy run in the West End in 1976 and was revived on Broadway in 2006, and in the West End in 2013.

6: On this day in 1985: A-Ha went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Take On Me', making them the first Norwegian group to score a US No.1. The video for the song featured the band in a pencil-sketch animation method called rotoscoping, combined with live action which won six awards and was nominated for two others at the 1986 MTV Video Music Awards.

7: On this day in 1995: Don Cherry an African-American jazz trumpeter died of liver failure aged 58. Developed the genre of world fusion music, incorporating influences of Middle Eastern, traditional African, and Indian music into his playing. Is the stepfather to singer musicians Neneh Cherry and Eagle-Eye Cherry.

8: On this day in 1998: Cher won a Grammy award for her dance hit "Believe". Her 326-date "Farewell Tour" (2002-05) was one of the highest-grossing concert tours of all time, seen by over 3.5 million people and earning $250 million. Her retirement from music lasted about 3 years, before a 200-show residency at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas.

9: On this day in 2009: A clump of hair believed to have been trimmed from Elvis Presley's head when he joined the US Army in 1958 sold for $15,000 (£9,200) at an auction in Chicago, America. Other items sold belonging to Presley included a shirt which sold for $52,000 (£32,000), a set of concert-used handkerchiefs, $732 (£450), and photos from the reception of Presley's 1967 wedding to Priscilla, sold for nearly $6,000 (£3,700). 

10: On this day in 2011: Coldplay released their fifth studio album 'Mylo Xyloto' which charted at No.1 in thirty-four countries. In the UK 'Mylo Xyloto' became Coldplay's fifth album to debut at No.1 and became the group's third to debut at No.1 on the US Billboard 200.

11: On this day in 2011: At the involuntary manslaughter trial of Dr. Conrad Murray, Dr. Steven Shafer testified that it would have been impossible for Michael Jackson to have self-administered a lethal dose of the sedative propofol. He later said of Dr. Murray's delay in calling 911: "I almost don't know what to say. That is so completely and utterly inexcusable."

12: On this day in 2014: Raphael Ravenscroft who played the sax riff on the Gerry Rafferty hit 'Baker Street' died aged 60 of a suspected heart attack. He was only paid £27.50 for the 'Baker Street' session, and it has been reported that the cheque bounced and that it was kept on the wall of Ravenscroft's solicitors; by contrast, the song is said to have earned Rafferty £80,000 a year in royalties.

13: On this day in 2020: Spencer Davis, one of the key figures of the 60s beat scene, died at the age of 81. The Welsh guitarist was the driving force behind The Spencer Davis Group, who scored transatlantic hits with 'Keep On Running' and 'Somebody Help Me. The band, which also featured a teenage Stevie Winwood, toured with The Who and The Rolling Stones in the 60s.                                                       

Born On This Day In Music.

1: 10/19/1545- Giovanni Giovenale Ancina was an Italian Roman Catholic prelate who served as the Bishop of Saluzzo and was a professed member of the Oratorians. The bishop was also a scholar and music composer and was also known for being a noted orator.

2: 10/19/1889- Arthur Edward Satherley was an American record producer and A&R man. Often called Uncle Art Satherley, he made major contributions to the recording industry and has been described as "one of the most important pioneers in the field of country music production". 

3: 10/19/1911- George Cates was an American music arranger, conductor, songwriter, and record executive known for his work with Lawrence Welk and his orchestra.

4: 10/19/1926- Arne Joachim Bendiksen (was a Norwegian singer, composer, and producer, described as "the father of pop music" in Norway. 

5: 10/19/1945- Jeannie C Riley, singer, (1968 US No.1 & UK No.12 'Harper Valley PTA'. Jeannie won a Grammy for the best female country singer of 1968).

6: 10/19/1948- Patrick Simmons is an American musician best known as a founding member of the rock band The Doobie Brothers. Born in Aberdeen, Washington, he has been the only consistent member of the band throughout their tenure. Simmons wrote and sang many songs for the Doobie Brothers, including "South City Midnight Lady", "Dependin' On You", "Echoes of Love", "Wheels of Fortune" and "Black Water", the group's first #1 record. 

7: 10/19/1972- Prakazrel Samuel Michel (Pras Michel) is a Haitian-American rapper, producer, songwriter, and actor. He is best known as a member of the hip-hop group Fugees, alongside Wyclef Jean and Lauryn Hill. After the Fugees, he earned two Top 40 hits, the Grammy-nominated song "Ghetto Supastar " featuring Ol' Dirty **ahem** and Mýa from the film Bulworth, and "Avenues" with Refugee Camp All-Stars and Ky-Mani Marley.

8: 10/19/1992- Durk Banks, known professionally as Lil Durk, American rapper, singer, and the lead member and founder of the collective and record label Only the Family. The Voice of the Heroes (2021), became his first release to debut atop the US Billboard album chart.

Have a great day, take care and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@MOHLovesAlaska Hooray!

Thanks for getting this started again - it is always an interesting read for sure!

@AdamPandora thank you dear friend for your support in this post. Take care and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska

Good Thursday morning, welcome to This Day In The History Of Music. Enjoy the read. 

1. On this day in 1877 Franz Schubert's 2nd Symphony in B premieres. Franz Schubert was only 31 when he died, yet had composed over 600 works, a fraction of which were published within his lifetime. The son of a school teacher, he lived most of his life in obscurity in Vienna. It was only after his death in 1828 from typhoid fever and probably syphilis that the extent of his composition was discovered, published, and performed.

2. On this day in 1955  Harry Belafonte recorded "Day-O" (Banana Boat Song), "Day-O" is a traditional Jamaican folk song. The song has mento influences, but it is commonly classified as an example of the better-known calypso music. It is a call-and-response work song, from the point of view of dock workers working the night shift loading bananas onto ships. The song gained popularity in the 1988 film Beetlejuice. 

3. On this day in 1956  "Love Me Tender," Elvis Presley's adaptation of "Aura Lee," a folk tune dating back to the 1860s, entered the pop singles chart at No. 2.

4: On this day in 1962  Peter, Paul, and Mary's debut folk album "Peter, Paul, and Mary" reaches No. 1 on the US album charts. The trio released their first album "Peter, Paul and Mary" in 1962 and continued to release albums until their breakup in 1970. Some of their most famous songs include "Puff the Magic Dragon", Bob Dylan's "Blowin in the Wind" and their version of John Denver's "Leaving on a Jet Plane" Although the group never stopped meeting to play together they reformed in 1981 and continued recording and touring until Travers death from the effects of Leukemia in 2009.

5. On this day in 1962  Bobby "Boris" Pickett and the Crypt-Kickers started a two-week run at No. 1 on the U.S. singles chart with "Monster Mash."

6: On this day in 1969  Against the other Beatles' wishes, John Lennon released the harrowing single about his heroin withdrawal, "Cold Turkey," under the name of the Plastic Ono Band. It didn't crack the Top 20 in the U.S. and barely did so in the U.K.

7. On this day in 1973 The Rolling Stones had their first No. 1 hit in the U.S. with "Angie." The song came off of the album Goats Head Soup, the band's 11th British and 13th American studio album. This acoustic-guitar-driven ballad is credited (as most Stones songs are) to both Mick Jagger and Keith Richards but is said to be mostly written by Richards. The song was also a No. 1 hit in both Canada and Australia and topped the charts in many countries throughout Europe and the rest of the world. Because of the song's length, some radio stations made edits to shorten it to 3 minutes, omitting the longer coda and the second instrumental section of the song.

8. On this day in 1973 After 15 years of construction, the Sydney Opera House is dedicated by Queen Elizabeth II on October 20, 1973. The $80 million structure, designed by Danish architect Jørn Utzon and funded by the profits of the Opera House Lotteries, was built on Bennelong Point, in Sydney, Australia. Famous for its geometric roof shells, the structure contains several large auditoriums and presents an average of 3,000 events a year to an estimated two million people. The first performance in the complex was the Australian Opera’s production of Sergei Prokofiev’s War and Peace, which was held in the 1,547-seat Opera Theatre. Today, the Opera House remains Sydney’s best-known landmark and is recognizable the world over. 

9. On this day in 1977 Ronnie Van Zant, Steve Gaines, and Cassie Gaines from Lynyrd Skynyrd, along with manager Dean Kilpatrick, were all killed when their rented plane ran out of fuel and crashed into a densely wooded thicket in the middle of a swamp in Gillsburg, Miss. The crash seriously injured the rest of the band and crew, who were due to play at Louisiana University that evening.

10. On this day in 1978  The Police made their U.S. debut at CBGB in New York.

11. On this day in 2001 Top figures of the film and political world, along with musicians such as The Who, David Bowie, Keith Richards, Mick Jagger, Elton John, Eric Clapton, Bon Jovi, James Taylor, Jay-Z, and many other big names, performed for VH1's Concert For New York City to benefit the victims and families of the 9/11 attack. More than $35 million in donations were raised during the broadcast.

12. On this day in 2003  Amy Winehouse released her debut album Frank in the UK, (named after Frank Sinatra). Frank wasn't released in the US till 2007, after Back to Black had made her a global star.

13. On this day in 2016  Little Big Town released the single "Better Man," which they later reveal was written by Taylor Swift, marking the first time she pitched a song to another artist.

Born On This Day In The Music World. 

1. Born on this day in 1874 Charles Ives, an American composer (Holiday Quick Step), was born in Danbury, Connecticut (d. 1954).

2. Born on this day in 1884 Thomas Chalmers, an American opera singer, actor, and filmmaker (Blind Alleys, Outrage), was born in NYC, New York (d. 1966).

3. Born on this day in 1890 Ferdinand "Jelly Roll" Morton [LeMothe], an American jazz pioneer pianist and composer (King Porter Stomp), was born in New Orleans, Louisiana (d. 1941).

4. Born on this day in 1913 (Louis) "Grandpa" Jones, American country music singer and banjo wizard (Hee-Haw), born in Niagra, Kentucky (d. 1998)

5. Born on this day in 1939 Jay Siegel, an American rock bassist (Tokens - "The Lion Sleeps Tonight"), was born in Brooklyn, New York.

6. Born on this day in 1950 American classic rock singer and songwriter (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - "American Girl"; Traveling Wilburys - "Last Night"; solo -"I Won't Back Down"), born in Gainesville, Florida, died in 2017.

7. Born on this day in 1951 Al Greenwood, American keyboardist (Foreigner - "Feels Like the First Time"), was born in New York City.

8. Born on this day in 1955 Thomas Newman, an American film score composer (The Shawshank Redemption), was born in Los Angeles, California.

9. Bon on this in 1958 Ricky Byrd, an American rocker (Joan Jett & Blackhearts), was born in The Bronx, New York.

10. Born on this day in 1971 Snoop Dogg an American rapper ("What's My Name"; "Drop It Like It's Hot"), was born in Long Beach, California.

11. Born on this day in 1978 Paul Wilson, Scottish bass player (Snow Patrol), was born in Kinlochleven, Scotland.

12. Born on this day in 1999 NBA Youngboy an American rapper ("Bandit"; Tyler the Creator -"WusYaName"), was born in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

MOHLovesAlaska

Good Friday morning, welcome to This Day In The History Of Music. Enjoy the read. 

1. On this day in 1858 Jacques Offenbach's operetta " Orpheus in the Underworld" The opera is a lampoon of the ancient legend of Orpheus and Eurydice. In this version, Orpheus is not the son of Apollo but a rustic violin teacher. He is glad to be rid of his wife, Eurydice, when she is abducted by the god of the underworld, Pluto. Orpheus has to be bullied by Public Opinion into trying to rescue Eurydice. The reprehensible conduct of the gods of Olympus in the opera was widely seen as a veiled satire of the court and government of Napoleon III, Emperor of the French. Some critics expressed outrage at the librettists' disrespect for classic mythology and the composer's parody of Gluck's opera Orfeo ed Euridice; others praised the piece highly. Orphée aux enfers was Offenbach's first full-length opera. The original 1858 production became a box-office success, and ran well into the following year, rescuing Offenbach and his Bouffes company from financial difficulty. The 1874 revival broke records at the Gaîté's box office. The work was frequently staged in France and internationally during the composer's lifetime and throughout the 20th century. It is one of his most often performed operas and continues to be revived in the 21st century. In the last decade of the 19th century, the Paris cabarets the Moulin Rouge and Folies Bergère adopted the music of the "Galop infernal" from the culminating scene of the opera to accompany the can-can, and ever since then, the tune has been popularly associated with the dance.

2. On this day in 1944 Walter Piston's "Fugue for a Victory Tune" premieres in NYC. Columbia University commissioned Piston's Symphony No. 2, which was premiered by the National Symphony Orchestra on March 5, 1944, and was awarded a prize by the New York Music Critics' Circle. His next symphony, the Third, earned a Pulitzer Prize, as did his Symphony No. 7. His Viola Concerto and String Quartet No. 5 also later received Critics' Circle awards. Walter Piston was awarded the Edward MacDowell Medal for his outstanding contribution to the arts by the MacDowell Colony in 1974. Piston wrote four books on the technical aspects of music theory which are considered to be classics in their respective fields: Principles of Harmonic Analysis, Counterpoint, Orchestration, and Harmony. The last of these introduced for the first time in theoretical literature several important new concepts that Piston had developed in his approach to music theory, notably the concept of harmonic rhythm, and the secondary dominant. This work went through four editions in the author's lifetime, was translated into several languages, and (with changes and additions by Mark DeVoto) was still regarded as recently as 2009 as a standard harmony text. He died at his home in Belmont, Massachusetts on November 12, 1976. His library and desk are permanently exhibited in the Piston Room, at the Boston Public Library.

3. On this day in 1958 Buddy Holly's last recording session took place at Pythian Temple Studios, New York City. The songs recorded included 'Raining In My Heart, 'Moondreams' and 'It Doesn't Matter Anymore' which became a No.1 hit. Tragically Buddy would die less than four months after this recording in a plane crash. 

4. On this day in 1965 The Spencer Davis Group recorded 'Keep On Running' at Pye Studios in London, England. The track went on to top the UK chart next January. "Keep On Running" was written by Jamaican singer-songwriter Jackie Edwards, who as well as having been a singer, worked in the UK for Island Records as a songwriter. The song was recorded by Edwards for his album Come on Home, released in 1965, and he recorded it again in the mid-1970s for his album Do You Believe in Love.

5. On this day in 1965 Wanting to improve on a previous recording session The Beatles started from scratch on a new song called 'Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)', finishing recordings in three takes. They also begin working on another new John Lennon song 'Nowhere Man.'

6. On this day in 1967 Lulu's "To Sir With Love" was initially recorded by Lulu (with The Mindbenders, who also acted in the film). It was released as a single in the United States in 1967 and in October reached No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100, where it remained for five weeks. 

7. On this day in 1972 Curtis Mayfield started a four-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with the soundtrack to 'Superfly'. 

8. On this day in 1975 Sir  Elton John is given a star in Hollywood. 

9. On this day in 1989 Jive Bunny And The Mastermixes had their second UK No.1 single with 'That's What I Like.' The Theme from Hawaii Five-O was the recurring hook in the record which also included 'Let's Twist Again', 'Let's Dance, 'Great Balls of Fire, and 'The Twist.

10. On this day in 1997 Elton John's 'Candle In The Wind 97' was declared by the Guinness Book Of Records as the biggest-selling single record of all time, with 31.8 million sales in less than 40 days and raising more than £20 million for charity. 

11. On this day in 2006 Evanescence was at No.1 on the US album chart with their second album 'The Open Door.' It became the 700th No.1 album on Billboard since the chart became a weekly feature in 1956.

1. Born on this day in 1570  Wolfgang Schonsleder, a German composer (Missa super Laudate), was born in Munich, Duchy of Bavaria (now Germany) (d. 1651).

2. Born on this day in 1751 David Moritz Michael, a Moravian conductor, and composer, (Die Wasserfahrt -The Water Journey) was born in Kühnhausen, Prussia (now Germany) (d. 1827).

3. Born on this day in 1895 J Delos Jewkes, American light opera, vaudeville, choral (Mormon Tabernacle), film and television bass singer, and actor (Stars And Stripes Forever; The Music Man; The Andy Griffith Show), born in Orangeville, Utah (d. 1984).

4. Born on this day in 1912 (Carlos) "Don" Byas, an American swing and be-bop jazz saxophonist, and bandleader, was born in Muskogee, Oklahoma (d. 1972).

5. Born on this day in 1912 Sir Georg Solti [György Stern], a Hungarian-British conductor, winner of 31 Grammy awards (Chicago Symphony, 1969-91), was born in Budapest, Hungary (d. 1997).

6. Born on this day in 1924 Celia Cruz, Cuban-American Grammy Award-winning guaracha, salsa, and bolero singer (La Sonora Matancera, 1950-65), known as 'the Queen of Salsa', was born in Havana, Cuba (d. 2003). 

7. Born on this day in 1940 South African–British keyboard player, guitarist, and vocalist Manfred Mann had the 1964 UK & US No.1 single 'Do Wah Diddy Diddy' and with Manfred Mann's Earth Band hits include covers of Bruce Springsteen's 'For You, 'Blinded by the Light' and 'Spirit in the Night. 

8. Born on this day in 1941 Steve Cropper, American guitarist, with Booker T and the MG's, had the 1962 US No. 3 single 'Green Onions', and the 1969 UK No.4 single 'Time Is Tight'. Cropper played guitar on the Otis Redding hit '(Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay. As a session guitarist, he has worked with many artists including John Lennon, Dolly Parton, Paul Simon, Art Garfunkel, and Rod Stewart. 

9. Born on this day in 1953 Charlotte Caffey, an American rock guitarist, keyboardist, and vocalist (The Go-Go's - "We Got The Beat") was born in Santa Monica, California.

10. Born on this day in 1957 American guitarist, singer, songwriter, arranger, and record producer Steve Lukather, who with Toto had the 1983 US No.1 & UK No.3 single 'Africa'. Lukather has recorded guitar tracks for more than 1,500 albums including the guitar solo for Olivia Newton-John's 1981 No.1 single 'Physical', (Song of the 80's decade) and Michael Jackson's 'Beat It, and was also heavily involved in the recording of virtually all of Jackson's Thriller album. 

11. Born on this day in 1993 American singer Kane Brown. He released his first album, the self-titled Kane Brown, on December 2, 2016. The single 'What Ifs' came from this album, and in October 2017, Brown became the first artist to have simultaneous No.1's on all five main Billboard country charts.

12. Born on this day in 1995 Doja Cat, is an American singer, rapper, and songwriter. Her second studio album, Hot Pink (2019), reached the top 10 of the US Billboard 200 and spawned the single ‘Say So’, which topped the Billboard Hot 100 chart.

Have a great Friday and a wonderful weekend. 

MOHLovesAlaska

Good Monday afternoon and welcome to This Day In The History Of Music. Enjoy the read.

1: On this day in 1818 Felix Mendelssohn, aged 9, performs his first public concert in Berlin Germany. Jakob Ludwig Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy, born and widely known as Felix Mendelssohn, was a German composer, pianist, organist, and conductor of the early Romantic period. Mendelssohn's compositions include symphonies, concertos, piano music, organ music, and chamber music. His best-known works include the overture and incidental music for A Midsummer Night's Dream, the Italian Symphony, the Scottish Symphony, the oratorio St. Paul, the oratorio Elijah, the overture The Hebrides, the mature Violin Concerto and the String Octet. The melody for the Christmas carol "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing" is also his. Mendelssohn's Songs Without Words are his most famous solo piano compositions.

2: On this day in 1962 US Soul singer James Brown recorded his legendary 'Live At The Apollo' album. The album was listed at No.24 in Rolling Stone magazine's 2003 list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.

3: On this day in 1963 On the first day of their first foreign tour, The Beatles spent the day in Stockholm, Sweden, recording a performance for a radio program entitled "The Beatles pop group from Liverpool Stockholm" The Beatles, enthused by the chance to play before an audience that wasn't screaming, played seven songs, ‘I Saw Her Standing There, ‘From Me to You ‘Money’, ‘You Really Got a Hold On Me, ‘She Loves You, ‘Roll Over Beethoven’ and ‘Twist and Shout.’

4: On this day in 1966 Newsweek interviewed The Monkees. They are asked how the music is created. Singer Davy Jones tells them, "This isn't a rock 'n' roll group. This is an act."

5: On this day in 1970 Atom Heart Mother is recorded, a progressive rock album by Pink Floyd, engineered by Alan Parsons and Peter Bown. It was recorded at Abbey Road Studios, London, England, and reached number 1 in the UK, and number 55 in the U.S. charts, and went gold in the U.S. in March 1994. A re-mastered CD was released in 1994 in the UK, and in 1995 in the U.S.

6: On this day in 1973 John Lennon began litigation against the US government, accusing them of tapping his telephone. Specifically naming the F.B.I in the lawsuit.

7: On this day in 1979 Paul McCartney received a medallion cast in rhodium by the Guinness Book Of World Records after being declared the most successful composer of all time. From 1962 to 1978, McCartney had written or co-written 43 songs that sold over a million copies each. 

8: On this day in 1980 Starting Over" is a song written and performed by John Lennon from the 1980 album, Double Fantasy. It was released as a single on October 24th,1980 in the United Kingdom, with Yoko Ono's "Kiss Kiss Kiss" as the B-side. It reached number one in both the US and UK after Lennon was murdered on 8 December 1980. It was Lennon's final single released in his lifetime.

9: On this day in 1987 Sting went to No.1 on the UK album chart with his third solo release 'Nothing Like The Sun.' The title comes from Shakespeare's Sonnet No.130 ("My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun"), which Sting used in the song "Sister Moon". The album won Best British Album at the 1988 Brit Awards.

10: On this day in1987 Michael Jackson started a two-week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Bad', a No.3 hit in the UK. A music video for 'Bad', directed by Martin Scorsese and co-starring one of the first appearances of yet-undiscovered Wesley Snipes, was released in late 1987. 

11: On this day in 2004 Queen became the first rock act to receive an official seal of approval in Iran. Western music was still strictly censored in the Islamic republic, where homosexuality is considered a crime, but an album of Queen's greatest hits was released this week in Iran. Freddie Mercury was proud of his Iranian ancestry, and illegal bootleg albums and singles had made Queen one of the most popular bands in Iran. 

12: On this day in 2006 Forbes.com revealed that Kurt Cobain had overtaken Elvis Presley as the highest-earning dead celebrity. Cobain's work earned $50m (£27m) in the 12 months to October 2006, compared with Presley's $42m (£22m). Former Beatle John Lennon earned $35m (£19m).

13: Taylor Swift released her self-titled debut studio album. Swift was 16 years old at the time of the album's release and the album went to the top of the Country Albums Chart for 24 non-consecutive weeks selling over seven million copies. The album also became the longest-charting album on the Billboard 200 of the 2000s decade, remaining on the chart for 277 weeks in total.

14: On this day in 2013 500 Greatest Albums of All Time NME published their latest '500 Greatest Albums of All Time list. The top 5 read: 1. The Smiths - 'The Queen Is Dead, 2. The Beatles - 'Revolver' 3. David Bowie - 'Hunky Dory', 4. The Strokes - 'Is This It and at 5. The Velvet Underground & Nico - 'The Velvet Underground'. 

15: On this day in 2016 American singer Bobby Vee died at age 73. Vee had 38 chart hits, ten of which reached the Top 20. Vee's recording of 'Take Good Care of My Baby' in the summer of 1961 went to No.1 in the US and No.3 in the UK. Vee's career began in the midst of tragedy. On February 3, 1959, "The Day the Music Died," when Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and the Big Bopper, were killed in an airplane. Vee then 15 years old, and a hastily assembled band of Fargo schoolboys calling themselves the Shadows volunteered for and were given the unenviable job of filling in for Holly and his band at their next gig. Their performance was a success, setting in motion a chain of events that led to Vee's career as a popular singer. 

16: On this day in 2017 American pianist and singer-songwriter Fats Domino died aged 89 at his home in Harvey, Louisiana after a long-term illness. Domino attracted national attention with his first recording, ‘The Fat Man, made in late 1949 for Imperial Records, an early rock-and-roll record. ‘The Fat Man’ sold one million copies by 1953 and it is widely considered the first rock-and-roll record to achieve this feat. Domino had 35 records in the US Billboard Top 40. Domino’s 1956 version of ‘Blueberry Hill’ was selected for the Library of Congress’s National Recording Registry of historic sound recordings worthy of preservation.

17: On this day in 2018 American guitarist and session musician Wah Wah Watson, (Melvin Ragin) died aged 67. He was famed for his skills with a wah-wah pedal and became a member of the Motown Records studio band, The Funk Brothers, where he recorded with The Temptations (his guitar work on 'Papa Was A Rollin' Stone'), The Jackson 5, The Four Tops, Gladys Knight & The Pips, Marvin Gaye and The Supremes. He also appeared in Michael Jackson's Off The Wall album.

18: On this day in 2019 During an interview with Zane Lowe for his Apple Music Beats 1 show Kanye West declared that he was ‘Unquestionably, undoubtedly the greatest human artist of all time.’ The 42-year-old Rapper also predicted that he will one day be president of the US as he defended his support of Donald Trump.

1. Born on this day in 1739 Anna Amalia of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel, a German princess and composer (patron of the Classical Weimar court), was born in Wolfenbüttel (d. 1807). 

2. Born on this day in1935 Sanford Clark, an American country-rockabilly singer, and guitarist ("The Fool"; "Son Of A Gun"), was born in Tulsa, Oklahoma (d. 2021).

3. Born on this day in 1936 Bill Wyman, bass, The Rolling Stones (1969 UK & US No.1 single 'Honky Tonk Women, and over 30 Top 40 UK & US singles and albums. Quit The Stones in 1993, 1981 UK solo No.14 'Je Suis Un Rock Star'). Now tours with his backing band, The Rhythm Kings, which has featured Albert Lee and Georgie Fame.

4. Born on this day in 1944 Ted Templeman, Harper's Bizarre, (1967 US No. 13 & UK No.34 single 'The 59th Street Bridge Song, Feelin' Groovy'). As a record producer, he worked with The Doobie Brothers, Montrose, Carly Simon, Van Morrison, Captain Beefheart, Little Feat, Michael McDonald, Aerosmith, and Eric Clapton.

5. Born on this day in 1946 Jerry Edmonton, from Steppenwolf had the 1969 US No.2 hit single 'Born To Be Wild'. Steppenwolf sold over 25 million records worldwide, released eight gold albums, and scored 12 Billboard Hot 100 singles. He was killed in a car crash on 28th November 1993.

6. Born on this day in 1946 John Bettis, an American lyricist. He was originally part of the band Spectrum, which also featured Richard and Karen Carpenter. He wrote the lyrics for 'Top of the World, a hit for both Lynn Anderson and The Carpenters. He wrote several more hits for The Carpenters, including 'Only Yesterday', 'Goodbye to Love and 'Yesterday Once More. He later wrote hits for other artists including Madonna's ('Crazy for You) and Michael Jackson's ('Human Nature).

7. Born on this day in 1949 Mike D. Stone, an American recording engineer (Frank Zappa, Joe Walsh, Bee Gees, America), was born (d. 2017).

8. Born on this day in 1950 American musician Steven Greenberg is best known as a member of the band Lipps Inc. which had the 1980 worldwide smash hit 'Funkytown'.

9. Born on this day in 1978 Sabrina Washington, from British girl group Mis-Teeq had the 2001 UK No.2 single 'All I Want and seven consecutive top-ten singles.

10. Born on this day in 1979 Ben Gillies, from Australian rock band Silverchair had the 1997 Australian No.1 single 'Freak' and the 1995 Australian No.1 album Frogstomp plus three other Australian No.1 albums. During their career, Silverchair won more ARIA Music Awards than any other artist in history with 21 wins.

11. Born on this day in 1980 Monica, (1998 US No.1 & UK No.2 single with Brandy 'The Boy Is Mine'). The Boy Is Mine produced several singles. Its release was preceded by the lead single of the same name, a duet with fellow R&B singer Brandy, which was released on May 19, 1998. The collaboration received favorable reviews from contemporary music critics and became the first number-one pop record for both artists, both stateside and internationally. By the end of December 1998 over 800,000 copies had been sold.

12. Born on this day in 1986 Canadian rapper, songwriter, and actor Aubrey Drake Graham records under the mononym, Drake. Scored US No.1 albums with ' Thank Me Later, (2010), 'Take Care, (2011), and 'Nothing Was the Same, (2013). 

13. Born on this day in 1996 Tamino [Fouad], Belgian-Egyptian rock and world music singer-songwriter, and guitarist (Amir; Sahal), was born in Mortsel, Belgium.

MOHLovesAlaska

Good Tuesday morning and welcome to This Day In The History Of Music. Enjoy the read.

1. On this day in 1577 Pope Gregory XIII asks for the renewal of ecclesiastical hymns. Gregory was the head of the Catholic Church for thirteen years, but his best-known move was the creation of the Gregorian calendar, which remains in use as the internationally accepted civilian calendar to this day.

2. On this day in 1875 The first performance of the Piano Concerto No. 1 by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky is given in Boston, Massachusetts with Hans von Bülow as soloist. Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky was The first Russian composer whose music made a lasting impression internationally, which he bolstered with appearances as a guest conductor later in his career in Europe and the United States. One of these appearances was at the inaugural concert of Carnegie Hall in New York City in 1891. Despite his many popular successes, his life was punctuated by personal crises and depression.

3. On this day in 1963 The Beatles began their first tour of Sweden by playing two shows at Nya Aulan, Sundstavagen, Karlstad, Sweden. The local pop reviewer was not impressed, saying The Beatles should be grateful to their screaming fans for drowning out the group's terrible performance, adding that The Beatles "were of no musical importance whatsoever and that their local support group, The Phantoms, decidedly outshone them."

4. On this day in 1964, The Rolling Stones appeared for the first time on The Ed Sullivan Show from New York, performing ‘Around And Around’ and ‘Time Is On My Side. A riot broke out in the studio, prompting Sullivan’s infamous quote, ‘I promise you they’ll never be back on our show again.’ The Rolling Stones went on to make a further five appearances on Sullivan’s show between 1965 and 1969.

5. On this day in 1966 at age 7 months old, music artist/ guitarist Jeff Healey had his right eye surgical removed (and subsequently his left eye, 4 months later), and replaced with artificial ones, necessitated by a form of cancer of the eyes called retinoblastoma. Three years later Healey was given his first guitar by his father. At the age of 13, the Canadian guitarist formed his first band, Blue Direction. 

6. On this day in 1968  The double album 'Electric Ladyland' by The Jimi Hendrix Experience was released. It was also made available as two albums with changed artwork after complaints about the naked women who were pictured on the sleeve. The female models were each paid £5 for the photo shoot and another £5 if they posed completely naked. 

7. On this day in 1968 Led Zeppelin played a gig at Surrey University, England. Although there are unconfirmed reports of earlier shows, this appears to be the band's first gig with their new name after initially performing as The New Yardbirds. In 2003 a poster for the Surrey gig (billing the group as The New Yardbirds) sold at auction for £2,400.

8. On this day in 1975 Art Garfunkel was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with his version of 'I Only Have Eyes For You.' Written in 1934 for the film Dames the song was a No.2 hit for Ben Selvin in 1934 and most notably a hit for The Flamingos in 1959.

9. On this day in 1975  Columbia Records released "Still Crazy After All These Years", the fourth solo studio album by American singer-songwriter Paul Simon; it features the title track and the hits "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover" and "My Little Town", and wins 2 Grammy Awards. 

10. On this day in 1980 Barbra Streisand scored her fourth US No.1 album with 'Guilty.' Also on this day, Streisand started a three-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with a song written by The Bee Gees 'Woman In Love, the singer's only UK No.1.

11. On this day in 1986 For the first time in the history of the Billboard Hot 100, the top three spots were held by female solo acts. Cyndi Lauper's 'True Colors' held down the No.1 position, followed by Tina Turner's 'Typical Male' at No.2 and Janet Jackson's 'When I Think Of You at No.3.

12. On this day in 1986 Bon Jovi went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'Slippery When Wet. Featuring two US No.1 singles, 'You Give Love A Bad Name and 'Livin' On A Prayer. The album went on to sell over 8 million copies worldwide.

13. On this day in 1992 Roger Miller died of lung and throat cancer in a hospital in Los Angeles. Scored the 1965 UK No.1 & US No.4 single 'King Of The Road. Miller won eleven Grammy Awards as a songwriter and seven Tony awards for writing the music and lyrics for 'Big River. The Proclaimers had the 1990 UK No.9 hit with their version of 'King Of The Road.'

14. On this day in 1994 Reprise Records releases "Turbulent Indigo", Canadian singer-songwriter Joni Mitchell's 15th studio album; which wins Grammy Award for Best Pop Album.

15. On this day in 1995  British pop-rock singer Cliff Richard receives his knighthood from Queen Elizabeth II, - the 1st rock star to be knighted.

16. On this day in 1995  Henry Mancini, Leslie Bricusse, and Blake Edwards' musical adaptation of the film "Victor/Victoria", starring Julie Andrews, opens at Marquis Theater, NYC, runs for 738 performances; Andrews declined the Tony Award nomination because she felt other cast and crew should have been recognized. 

17. On this day in 1997 The Spice Girls went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Spice Up Your Life. Taken from their second album 'Spiceworld' the single set a new record, making them the only act to have their first five singles reach No.1.

18. On this day in 1997 After falling over on stage when reaching for a guitar pick, Johnny Cash announced during a gig in Michigan that he was suffering from Parkinson's disease.

19. On this day in 2002 Richard Harris, who had the 1968 US No.2 & UK No.4 hit 'MacArthur Park' died of cancer. The 72-year-old Irish-born actor had been undergoing chemotherapy at a private clinic in London. Though he charted three other times, Harris was better known for his acting roles on stage and in film, most recently playing Albus Dumbledore in two Harry Potter films. Richard Harris also played in the 2002 movie The Count Of Monte Cristo starring Jim Caviezel, Guy Pearce, Christopher Adamson, James Frain, Dagmara Dominczyk, and Luis Guzmán. 

20. On this day in 2010 "Speak Now" 3rd studio album by Taylor Swift released (Billboard Album of the Year 2011).

21. On this day in 2012 Forbes magazine reported that Michael Jackson topped their list of highest-earning dead musical celebrities by earning $145 million in the past year. Elvis Presley ranked No.2 with $55 million in earnings and Bob Marley No.3 with $17 million.

1. Born on this day in 1838 Georges Bizet a French composer (Carmen), was born in Paris. 

2. Born on this day in 1864 Alexander Gretchaninov was a Russian composer whose early work was in the Romantic tradition. He wrote five symphonies, four string quartets, two piano trios, and a variety of other music.

3. Born on this day in 1882 Tony Jackson, an American ragtime pianist and singer-songwriter ("Pretty Baby"), was born in New Orleans (d. 1921).

4. Born on this day in 1897 (Edmond) "Doc" Souchon, American jazz guitarist, music journal writer and editor, and New Orleans jazz historical preservationist, born in New Orleans, Louisiana (d. 1968).

5. Born on this day in 1902 Eddie Lang [Salvatore Massaro], an American jazz guitarist known as the "father of jazz guitar", was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (d. 1933).

6. Born on this day in 1918 (Greig) "Chubby" Jackson, an American big band jazz double-bassist, bandleader, and TV host, was born in New York City (d. 2003).

7. Born on this day in 1926 Jimmy Heath "Little Bird", an American jazz saxophonist and composer, was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (d. 2020).

8. Born on this day in 1941 Helen Reddy, an Australian-American rock vocalist ("I Am Woman"; "You And Me Against The World"), was born in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia (d. 2020). 

9. Born on this day in 1944 Taffy Danoff, from American pop group Starland Vocal Band, had the 1976 US No.1 & UK No.18 single 'Afternoon Delight' one of the biggest-selling singles of 1976.

10. Born on this day in 1944 English singer and songwriter Jon Anderson, who was a member of The Warriors, and Yes scored the 1983 UK No.28 & US No.1 single 'Owner Of A Lonely Heart'. Anderson is also noted for his solo career and collaborations with other artists, including Vangelis as Jon and Vangelis.

11. Born on this day in 1947 John Hall from the British pop, R&B, and rock group The Equals who had the 1968 UK No.1 & US No.32 single 'Baby Come Back written by Eddy Grant.

12. Born on this day in 1948 English Grammy Award-winning guitar player and songwriter Glenn Tipton from Judas Priest has sold over 50 million albums worldwide.

13. Born on this day in 1955 Matthias Jabs, from the German rock band Scorpions. Their 1990 power ballad 'Wind Of Change' topped the European charts and was a No.4 hit in the US. The Scorpions hold the record for the best-selling single by a German artist and band. 

14. Born on this day in 1957 Robbie Macintosh, English rock session and touring guitarist (The Pretenders, 1982-87 - "Don't Get Me Wrong"; "2000 Miles"; Paul McCartney, 1988-93), was born in Sutton, Surrey, England.

15. Born on this day in 1970 Ed Robertson, guitar, with Canadian rock band Barenaked Ladies scored the 1998 US No.1 & UK No.5 single 'One Week'. The group has sold over 15 million records including albums and singles and was inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame in March of 2018.

16. Born on this day in 1984 Katy Perry, an American singer-songwriter, scored the 2008 single ‘I Kissed a Girl which was a worldwide hit topping the charts in over than 20 countries. Her 2013 single 'Roar' gave the singer her eighth non-consecutive US No.1 hit.

17. Born on this day in 1985 Ciara Princess Harris, US singer, songwriter, and record producer, (2004 US No.1 single ‘Goodies’, 2006 US No.1 album Ciara: The Evolution).

MOHLovesAlaska

Good Wednesday morning and welcome to This Day In The History Of Music. Enjoy the read.

1. On this day in 1927 "Creole Love Call" is a jazz standard, most associated with the Duke Ellington band and Adelaide Hall. It entered the Billboard USA song charts in 1928 at No. 19. Ellington first recorded it in 1927 and was issued a copyright for it as a composer the following year. 

2. On this day in 1962 "Ask Me Why" is a song by the English rock band the Beatles originally released in the United Kingdom as the B-side of their single "Please Please Me". It was also included in their 1963 debut album Please Please Me. It was written primarily by John Lennon and credited to the Lennon–McCartney partnership. 

3. On this day in 1962 The Rolling Stones (known as The Rollin' Stones), and consisting of Keith Richards, Mick Jagger, Brian Jones pianist Ian Stewart, and drummer Tony Chapman recorded their first demo tape at Curly Clayton Studios in Highbury, London. They recorded three songs, Jimmy Reed's 'Close Together', Bo Diddley's 'You Can't Judge A Book By The Cover', and Muddy Waters' 'Soon Forgotten.'

4. On this day in 1965 Queen Elizabeth II invested The Beatles with their MBEs at Buckingham Palace, London. According to an account by John Lennon, the group smoked marijuana in one of the palace bathrooms to calm their nerves. Many former recipients gave their MBEs back in protest, to which John Lennon responded "Lots of people who complained about us receiving the MBE received theirs for heroism in the war, for killing people." He continued: "We received ours for entertaining other people. I'd say we deserve ours more."

5. On this day in 1968 The two-day San Francisco Pop Festival was held at Alameda County Fairgrounds. The Animals, Procol Harum, Iron Butterfly, Jose Feliciano, Deep Purple, Creedence Clearwater Revival, and Canned Heat all appeared. 

6. On this day in 1970 (Janis Joplin) A wake was held at Lion's Share in San Anselmo, California to celebrate the life of Janis Joplin. The singer who died of an accidental drug overdose had left $2,500 in her will to throw a wake party in the event of her demise. The party was attended by her sister Laura and Joplin's close friends; Brownies laced with hashish were unknowingly passed around amongst the guests. Joplin was cremated in the Pierce Brothers Westwood Village Mortuary in Los Angeles; her ashes were scattered from a plane into the Pacific Ocean and along Stinson Beach. 

7. On this day in 1984 19-year-old John D. McCollum killed himself with a .22 caliber handgun after spending the day listening to Ozzy Osbourne's records. One year later, McCollum's parents took court action against Ozzy and CBS Records, alleging that the song "Suicide Solution" from the album Blizzard of Ozz contributed to their son's death. The case was eventually thrown out of court.

8. On this day in 1985 Whitney Houston's song “Saving All My Love For You” (written by the great Michael Masser and Gerry Goffin) hit #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 after topping the Billboard R&B chart. It became the first of her record-setting seven consecutive #1 singles and a global hit.

9. On this day in 1991 Legendary Rock concert promoter Bill Graham was killed when the Bell 206B JetRanger III helicopter he was riding in struck the top of a Pacific Gas and Electric transmission tower near Sears Point, northwest of Vallejo, and exploded. The crash, which left the helicopter's wreckage dangling near the top of the towering structure, killed Graham, his girlfriend Melissa Gold, and pilot Steve Kahn. Graham had founded the Fillmore theaters in San Francisco and New York and had played key roles in supporting such bands as The Who, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Janis Joplin, The Band, Bob Dylan, The J. Geils Band, The Allman Brothers Band and The Rolling Stones.

10. On this day in 1993 Catholic churches in San Juan, Puerto Rico asked residents to tie black ribbons on trees in protest against Madonna's first live appearance in the country.

11. On this day in 1996 The Spice Girls had their second UK No.1 single when 'Say You'll Be There' started a two-week run at the top of the charts. The song included a harmonica solo, played by Judd Lander who also played the harmonica solo on Culture Club's 1984 hit 'Karma Chameleon.

12. On this day in 1999 American singer, songwriter, and actor Hoyt Axton died of a heart attack in Victor, Montana aged 61. He wrote songs for, Elvis Presley, Three Dog Night, (1971 US No.1 'Joy To The World'), John Denver, Ringo Starr, and Glen Campbell. His mother Mae Boren Axton wrote 'Heartbreak Hotel'.

13. On this day in 2002  Moscow Theatre Siege ends: Approximately 50 Chechen rebels and 150 hostages died when Russian Spetsnaz stormed a theater building in Moscow, which had been occupied by the rebels during a musical performance three days before.

14. On this day in 2004 Elvis Presley came top of a list of the highest-earning dead celebrities. Forbes.com listed the Top 5 dead music earners; 1. Elvis Presley $40m (£22m), 2. John Lennon $21m (£11m), 3. George Harrison $7m (£3.8m), 4. Bob Marley $7m and at 5. George and Ira Gershwin $6m.

15. On this day in 2004 Apple launched the U2 Special Edition iPod as part of a partnership between Apple, U2, and Universal Music Group. The new U2 iPod held up to 5,000 songs and featured a red Click Wheel and custom engraving of U2 band member signatures. The iPod was being introduced as the band released their new album 'How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.'

16. On this day in 2007, 1,730 guitarists played the immortal Bob Dylan classic, 'Knocking On Heaven's Door' in a bid to break a record in the state of Meghalaya, North East India. The guitarists hoped their achievement would earn them a place in the Guinness Book of World Records. The current Guinness World Record was held by a guitar ensemble from Kansas City in the US when 1,683 guitarists, played Deep Purple's 'Smoke On The Water.

17. On this day in 2008 AC/DC went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Black Ice' the Australian band's fifteenth studio album which went on to become a No.1 hit in 29 different countries and the second-best selling album of 2008.

18. On this day in 2011 A coroner's inquest on the death of Amy Winehouse reached a verdict of misadventure. The report explained that Winehouse's blood alcohol content was 416 mg per decilitre at the time of her death, more than five times the legal drink-drive limit. According to the coroner, ‘The unintended consequence of such potentially fatal levels was her sudden death.

19. On this day in 2013 Producer Quincy Jones was suing the estate of the late Michael Jackson for millions of dollars. He said the singer's estate and Sony Music Entertainment improperly re-edited songs to deprive him of royalties and production fees. Mr. Jones stated that they also broke an agreement giving him the right to remix master recordings for albums released after Jackson's death in 2009. 

20. On this day in 2015 Justin Bieber cleaned up at MTV's EMAs - (European Music Awards), winning best male, best North American act, and best collaboration for 'Where Are You Now?', with Skrillex and Diplo, biggest fans and best look. One Direction won the prize for best pop, Taylor Swift's 'Bad Blood' won the best song, and Rihanna was named best female.

21. On this day in 2017 National Party of New Zealand was found guilty of breaching the copyright of rapper Eminem's publisher and ordered to pay $413,000 for use of the song “Eminem Esque”.

1. Born on this day in 1483 Hans Buchner (also Joannes Buchner, Hans von Constanz; was an important German organist and composer. Buchner was a student of Paul Hofhaimer and may have worked for the emperor Maximilian I while Hofhaimer was away.

2. Born on this day in 1694 Johan Helmich Roman was a Swedish Baroque composer. He has been called "the father of Swedish music" or "the Swedish Handel." He was the leader of Swedish Opera through most of Swedish Opera's Age of Liberty. 

3. Born on this day in 1911 American gospel singer Mahalia Jackson. Known as the "Queen of Gospel Music" she recorded over 30 albums and became one of the most influential gospel singers in the world and was heralded internationally as a singer and civil rights activist. She died on 27 January 1972 of heart failure and diabetes complications aged 60.

4. Born on this day in 1936 American guitarist Al Casey. Mainly noted for his work as a session musician and as a member of the Wrecking Crew, Casey worked with The Beach Boys, Phil Spector, Elvis Presley, Glen Campbell, The Association, The Monkees, Johnny Cash, Simon And Garfunkel, 5th Dimension, Harry Nilsson, The Partridge Family, Frank Sinatra, and Nancy Sinatra. Casey died on 17 September 2006, in Phoenix, Arizona aged 69.

5. Born on this day in 1944 Kenneth Lee Ascher. Ascher's work through the years has included keyboard parts and string arrangements on John Lennon's albums Mind Games, Walls, and Bridges, and Rock 'n' Roll and Yoko Ono's A Story, music for several songs from Barbra Streisand's remake of A Star Is Born (where he also served as music coordinator), and arrangements for portions of Jim Steinman and Meat Loaf's masterpiece Bat Out of Hell (produced by Todd Rundgren). Ascher's own rendition of The Rainbow Connection was featured in the closing credits of The Break-Up (starring Vince Vaughn and Jennifer Aniston). Ascher is the pianist with the Birdland Big Band, which performs Fridays from 5:15 to 7 at Birdland in New York City. The Birdland Big Band performs The Rainbow Connection, arranged by Lew Anderson.

6. Born on this day in 1963 Natalie Merchant, singer, and songwriter from the American alternative rock band 10,000 Maniacs was founded in 1981. After the recording of MTV Unplugged (1993) Merchant left the band to pursue a solo career.

7. Born on this day in 1965 Judge Jules, a UK remixer, and producer. He was voted best DJ in the world by DJ Mag in the year 1995.

8. Born on this day in 1967 Keith Urban, is a country music singer, songwriter, and guitarist whose commercial success has been mainly in the United States and Australia. In 1991, he released a self-titled debut album and charted four singles in Australia before moving to the United States in 1992. Eventually, Urban found work as a session guitarist before starting a band known as The Ranch. Since 2006, he has been married to actress Nicole Kidman.

9. Born on this day in 1981 Guy Sebastian, is an Australian singer-songwriter, and winner of the first Australian Idol series. (2003 Australian No.1 single, ‘Angels Brought Me Here’).

10. Born on this day in 1986 Schoolboy Q, (Quincy Matthew Hanley), was an American hip-hop artist who had the 2014 US No.1 album Oxymoron.

Have a great Wednesday, take care, and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska

Good Thursday morning, welcome to This Day In The History Of Music. Enjoy the read. 

1. On this day in 1957 (Buddy Holly) The Crickets started a three-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'That'll Be The Day. It was also a No.3 hit in the US where it went on to sell over a million. The song was inspired by a trip to the movies by Holly, Jerry Allison, and Sonny Curtis in June 1956. The John Wayne film The Searchers was playing and Wayne's frequently-used, world-weary catchphrase, "that'll be the day" inspired the young musicians.

2. On this day in 1960 American pop and soul singer Ben E. King recorded "Spanish Harlem" & "Stand By Me." Benjamin Earl King was an American soul and R&B singer and record producer. He is best known as the singer and co-composer of "Stand by Me"—a U.S. Top 10 hit, both in 1961 and later in 1986, a number one hit in the United Kingdom in 1987, and number 25 on the RIAA's list of Songs of the Century—and as one of the principal lead singers of the R&B vocal group The Drifters, notably singing the lead vocals of one of their biggest global hit singles, "Save the Last Dance for Me". Besides "Stand By Me”, his songs "There Goes My Baby" and "Spanish Harlem" also appeared on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's list of 500 Songs That Shaped Rock and Roll.

3. On this day in 1964 (Sonny & Cher) 31-year-old Salvatore Philip Bono married 18-year-old Cherilyn Sarkisian La Piere. For a time they performed together as Caesar and Cleo before changing the name of their act to Sonny and Cher. Their union lasted 12 years.

4. On this day in 1966 The Four Tops were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Reach Out I'll Be There.' The group's only UK No.1.

5. On this day in 1969 Muddy Waters was seriously injured in a car crash in Champagne, Illinois. Three people were killed in the accident. McKinley Morganfield, known professionally as Muddy Waters, was an American blues singer and musician who was an important figure in the post-war blues scene, and is often cited as the "father of modern Chicago blues". His style of playing has been described as "raining down Delta beatitude".

6. On this day in 1973 Gladys Knight and the Pips started a two-week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Midnight Train To Georgia'. It was the group's 18th Top 40 hit and first No.1. The record won the 1974 Grammy Award for Best R&B Vocal Performance By A Duo, Group, Or Chorus and has become Knight's signature song.

7. On this day in 1975 After releasing the single and album Born to Run, Bruce Springsteen had the rare honor of simultaneous covers in both Time and Newsweek magazines in the US.

8. On this day in 1977 Baccara was at No.1 in the UK singles chart with 'Yes Sir, I Can Boogie. They were the first Spanish act to score a UK No.1, and the first female duo to do so. 'Yes Sir, I Can Boogie' is also one of the thirty all-time singles to have sold 10 million (or more) copies worldwide.

9. On this day in 1980 Mark Chapman bought a five-shot .38 special for $169. A little over six weeks later, he would use the gun to kill John Lennon outside his New York City apartment.

10. On this day in 1981 Ringo Starr releases the single "Wrack My Brain", written and produced by George Harrison, and the album "Stop and Smell the Roses" in the US.

11. On this day in 1983 Larry Flynt pays hitman $1M to kill Hugh Hefner, Bob Guccione, Walter Annenberg, and Frank Sinatra; Flynt's business manager immediately stops payment; Flynt claims he was just joking. (Side Note: I will add a little info on all named names above) 1. Larry Flint - Larry Claxton Flynt Jr. was an American publisher and the president of Larry Flynt Publications (LFP) (Hustler Magazine). 2. Hugh Hefner- Hugh Marston Hefner was an American magazine publisher. He was the founder and editor-in-chief of Playboy magazine, a publication with revealing photographs and articles which provoked charges of obscenity. The first issue of Playboy was published in 1953, featuring Marilyn Monroe in a nude calendar shoot; it sold over 50,000 copies. 3. Bob Guccione - Robert Charles Joseph Edward Sabatini Guccione (/ɡuːˈtʃoʊni/ goo-CHI-oh-nee; December 17, 1930 – October 20, 2010) was an American photographer and publisher. He founded the adult magazine Penthouse in 1965. This was aimed at competing with Hugh Hefner's Playboy, but with more explicit erotic content, a special style of soft-focus photography, and in-depth reporting of government corruption scandals and the art world. 4. Frank Sinatra - Francis Albert Sinatra was an American singer and actor. Nicknamed the "Chairman of the Board", Sinatra is considered one of the most popular entertainers of the 1940s, 1950s, and 1960s. He is among the world's best-selling music artists, having sold an estimated 150 million records. 

12. On this day in 1986 " Pretty Little Head " is a song by Paul McCartney, co-written by McCartney, and 10cc guitarist Eric Stewart. The track is on his sixth studio solo album Press to Play. The track was McCartney's 38th single, and his first that failed to chart, so, in an attempt to boost sales, he released his first-ever cassette single.

13. On this day in 1988 Rattle and Hum is a hybrid live/studio album by Irish rock band U2, and a companion rockumentary film directed by Phil Joanou. The album was produced by Jimmy Iovine and was released on 10 October 1988, while the film was distributed by Paramount Pictures and was released on 27 October 1988.

14. On this day in 2000 Lonnie Donegan went to Buckingham Palace to receive his MBE for his services to pop music. Lonnie pioneered skiffle in the 1950s and inspired a generation of teenagers to start bands.

15. On this day in 2002 American record producer Tom Dowd died of emphysema. He recorded albums by many artists including Eric Clapton, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Derek, and the Dominos, Rod Stewart, Aretha Franklin, Cream, Lulu, Chicago, The Allman Brothers Band, The J. Geils Band, Meat Loaf, Sonny & Cher, The Rascals, Willie Nelson, Diana Ross, Kenny Loggins, Dusty Springfield, The Drifters and Otis Redding.

16. On this day in 2006 Amy Winehouse released her second and final studio album Back to Black. The album spawned five singles: 'Rehab', 'You Know I'm No Good, 'Back to Black, 'Tears Dry on Their Own and 'Love Is a Losing Game, and won Best Pop Vocal Album at the 50th Annual Grammy Awards. Back to Black sold 3.58 million copies in the UK alone, becoming the UK's second best-selling album of the 21st century. Worldwide, the album has sold over 20 million copies.

17. On this day in 2014 The Last Ship, Sting's musical about shipbuilding in north-east England, opened on Broadway. The former frontman of The Police described watching the opening night as "an out-of-body experience". Billy Joel, Bruce Springsteen, and Blondie's Deborah Harry were among the first-night audience at the Neil Simon Theatre.

18. On this day in 2014 The Pet Shop Boys 'Always On My Mind' was voted the top cover version of all time in a BBC Music vote. The song, written by John Christopher, Mark James, and Wayne Carson, was first made famous by Brenda Lee and Elvis Presley in 1972. Johnny Cash's cover of Nine Inch Nails 'Hurt' came in second place, followed by The Stranglers' version of Dionne Warwick's 'Walk On By'. Jimi Hendrix's take on Bob Dylan's 'All Along The Watchtower came fourth and Jeff Buckley's cover of Leonard Cohen's 'Hallelujah' completed the top five.

19. On this day in 2014 1989 is the fifth studio album by American singer-songwriter Taylor Swift. It was released on October 27, 2014, by Big Machine Records. Following the release of her genre-spanning fourth studio album Red (2012), noted for pop hooks and electronic production, the media questioned the validity of Swift's status as a country artist.

20. On this day in 2016 A letter John Lennon wrote to the Queen explaining why he was returning his MBE was found tucked in a record sleeve from a £10 car boot haul. The anonymous owner took the document to a valuation day at The Beatles Story in Liverpool and discovered it was worth about £60,000. Lennon had returned to the MBE in protest at Britain's involvement in a civil war.

21. On this day in 2019 Scottish singer, and songwriter Lewis Capaldi achieved his first No.1 single in the US with ‘Someone You Loved’ after the track had spent 23 weeks in the US charts before reaching the top. The singer celebrated by painting his face in the style of the Stars and Stripes.

1. Born on this day in 1909 Henry "Mule" Townsend, was an American blues singer, guitarist, and pianist. Townsend was born Henry Jesse James Townsend, in Shelby, Mississippi to Allen and Omelia Townsend. His father was a blues musician who played guitar and accordion.

2. Born on this day in 1919 Babs Gonzales, born Lee Brown, was an American bebop vocalist, poet, and self-published author. His books portrayed the jazz world that many black musicians struggled in, portraying disk jockeys, club owners, liquor, drugs, and racism. "There are jazz people whose influence can be described as minor," wrote Val Wilmer, "yet who are well-known to musicians and listeners alike... You'd have to be hard-pressed to ignore the wealth of legend that surrounds Babs Gonzales." Jazz writer Jack Cooke explained that Gonzales "assumed the role of spokesman for the whole hipster world... something more than just a good and original jazz entertainer: the incarnation of a whole social group."

3. Born on this day in 1924 Mary Joan Okum, known by her performing name Bonnie Lou, was an American musical pioneer, recognized as one of the first female rock and roll singers. She is also one of the first artists to gain crossover success from country music to rock and roll. She was the "top name" on the first country music program regularly broadcast on a national TV network. Bonnie Lou was one of the first female co-hosts of a successful syndicated television talk show and a regular musical performer on popular shows in the 1960s and 1970s. She "was a prime mover in the first days of rockabilly," and is a member of the Rockabilly Hall of Fame.

4. Born on this day in 1942 Melvin Lee Greenwood is an American country music singer-songwriter. He also plays the saxophone. Active since 1962, he has released more than 20 major-label albums and has charted more than 35 singles on the Billboard country music charts.

5. Born on this day in 1949 American musician and record producer Garry Tallent is the bass player with the Bruce Springsteen E Street Band. He started playing with Springsteen in 1971 and as of 2013, and not counting Springsteen himself, Tallent is the only original member of the E Street Band remaining in the band.

6. Born on this day in 1952 American record producer, songwriter, and multi-instrumentalist Bill Bottrell. He has collaborated with Michael Jackson, Madonna, Electric Light Orchestra, George Harrison, Starship, Tom Petty, and Sheryl Crow. Bottrell was a co-writer of Michael Jackson's hit 'Black or White and also worked on Jackson's Bad album.

7. Born on this day in 1958 Simon Le Bon, vocals, Duran Duran who scored the 1983 UK No.1 single 'Is There Something I Should Know, plus 25 other UK Top 40 singles, and the 1984 US No.1 single 'The Reflex'. Le Bon is also a member of its offshoot Arcadia, which had the 1985 UK No.7 single 'Election Day. Le Bon went to Pinner County Grammar School, the same school that Elton John attended some years earlier.

8. Born on this day in 1967 Scott Weiland, vocals, Stone Temple Pilots, (1993 UK No.23 single 'Plush'). Velvet Revolver, (2004 US No.1 & UK No.11 album 'Contraband'). Weiland has also established himself as a solo artist, releasing three studio albums, a cover album, and collaborations with several other musicians since 1998. Weiland died on December 3, 2015, after being found in cardiac arrest on his tour bus in Bloomington, Minnesota, just before he was scheduled to go on stage with his band The Wildabouts. He was 48 years old.

9. Born on this day in 1984 Kelly Osbourne (2002 UK No.3 single 'Papa Don't Preach', 2003 UK No.1 with Ozzy Osbourne, 'Changes'.

Have a great Thursday, take care, and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska

Good Monday afternoon, welcome to This Day In The History Of Music. Enjoy the read.

1. On this day in 1786 The oldest musical organization in the United States is founded in Boston, Massachusetts as the Stoughton Musical Society.

2. On this day in 1951 Frank Sinatra married his second wife actress Ava Gardner, the couple split up in 1953 and divorced in 1957. Sinatra was married three other times, to his first wife Nancy Barbato, to the actress Mia Farrow and finally to Barbara Marx, to whom he was married at his death.

3. On this day in 1958 Eddie Cochran made his UK chart debut with 'Summertime Blues. It reached No.18 in the UK & No.8 in the US. The song has been covered by many artists, including a No.1 hit for country music artist, Alan Jackson, and a notable hit by the English rock band, The Who.

4. On this day in 1963 The Beatles went to Ireland to make their only two appearances ever in the country playing two shows at the Adelphi Cinema, Dublin. The group hooked up with screenwriter Alun Owen, who had been appointed to write the screenplay for The Beatles' first (as yet untitled) motion picture. Owen spent three days with The Beatles observing their hectic lifestyle. 

5. On this day in 1967 The Beatles finished recording ‘Blue Jay Way’, ‘Flying’, and ‘Magical Mystery Tour.’ The Beatles have only six songs, not enough for an album so decided to issue a double EP. Capitol Records didn’t think the double-EP format would be acceptable for the US market, so they decide to put out an album instead. The six "Magical Mystery Tour" songs with five of the six songs from The Beatles' 1967 singles went on side two.

6. On this day in 1967 Reg Dwight (Elton John) and his songwriting partner Bernie Taupin signed with DJM publishing, their signatures had to be witnessed by their parents because they were both under 21 years of age. Taupin answered an advertisement for a lyric writer placed in the New Musical Express, the pair have since collaborated on over 30 albums.

7. On this day in 1969 The Rolling Stones started off their 6th North American tour at Fort Collins State University, Colorado. Also on the bill were Ike and Tina Turner, Chuck Berry, and B.B. King.

8. On this day in 1975 Elton John started a three-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Rock Of The Westies', the singer's tenth studio album and seventh US No.1 contained the US No.1 and No.14 UK single, 'Island Girl, which was released prior to the album.

9. On this day in 1975 Steve Anderson set a new world record was set for continuous guitar string plucking by Steve Anderson he played for 114 hours and 17 minutes. 

10. On this day in 1981 Hall and Oates started a two-week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Private Eyes', the duo's third US No.1, a No.32 hit in the UK.

11. On this day in 1987 Tiffany became the youngest act to score a US No.1 since Michael Jackson ('Ben', in 1972) with 'I Think we're Alone Now. The song written by Ritchie Cordell was initially a 1967 hit for Tommy James & the Shondells.

12. On this day in 1987 Bruce Springsteen went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'Tunnel Of Love.' His eighth studio album went triple platinum in the US, with 'Brilliant Disguise' being one of his biggest hit singles, peaking at No.5 on the Billboard Hot 100.

13. On this day in 1991 Rhythm guitarist Izzy Stradlin quit Guns N’ Roses and was replaced by guitarist Gilby Clarke. Stradlin cited a combination of Axl Rose's personal behavior and the difficulties of being around Slash, Matt Sorum, and Duff McKagan, due to his new-found sobriety.

14. On this day in 1999 Geri Halliwell went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Lift Me Up', beating former colleague Emma Bunton's single which entered the chart at No.2. Sales of Geri's single were helped by front-page press reports about her dating Chris Evans.

15. On this day in 2000 "TP-2.com" 4th studio album by R. Kelly was released (American Music Awards Favorite Male Soul/R&B Artist, 2001; Billboard Album of the Year, 2001)

16. On this day in 2012, A woman died, and 19 others were injured, after scaffolding collapsed outside a Linkin Park concert in Cape Town, South Africa. The temporary scaffolding outside Green Point stadium came down in high winds just before the concert. The concert went ahead, with the band only learning of the death afterward.

17. On this day in 2014 Australian drummer of AC/DC, Phil Rudd, had a charge of attempting to arrange a murder dropped in New Zealand, but he will still face charges of drug possession and making threats to kill. The U-turn by authorities, announced less than 24 hours after Mr. Rudd appeared in court, was because of a lack of evidence, his lawyer said.

18. On this day in 2014 Two wealthy fans paid $300,000 to eat lasagne with Bruce Springsteen at his house. Springsteen started off the annual Stand Up For Heroes event by playing an acoustic set, then offering the instrument to the highest bidder. When bidding reached $60,000, he threw in a guitar lesson, which someone offered $250,000 for. At this point, he offered up a lasagne dinner at his house, a ride around the block in the sidecar of his motorbike, and the shirt off of his back. All the money went to the Bob Woodruff Foundation, which helps injured servicemen and their families when they return home.

19. On this day in 2020 The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction. The special presentation will honor this year’s inductees: Depeche Mode, The Doobie Brothers, Whitney Houston, Nine Inch Nails, The Notorious B.I.G., T. Rex, and Ahmet Ertegun Award honorees Jon Landau and Irving Azoff. This special event is in lieu of the live Induction Ceremony originally scheduled for May 2 of this year. The special will feature guests including Luke Bryan, Sean “Diddy” Combs, Miley Cyrus, Billy Gibbons, Dave Grohl, Don Henley, Jennifer Hudson, Billy Idol, Iggy Pop, Alicia Keys, Adam Levine, Chris Martin, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Brad Paisley, Bruce Springsteen, St. Vincent, Ringo Starr, Gwen Stefani, Charlize Theron, Nancy Wilson and more, all highlighting the importance and influence of the 2020 Inductees. Dave Grohl kicks off the show with a heartfelt introduction to this year’s class of inductees, and the special guests will speak further on how the 2020 Inductees impacted their personal and professional careers.

1. Born on this day in 1866 Carl Emil Paul Lincke was a German composer and theater conductor. He is considered the "father" of the Berlin operetta. His well-known compositions include "Berliner Luft" ("Berlin Air"), the unofficial anthem of Berlin, from his operetta Frau Luna; and "The Glow-Worm", from his operetta Lysistrata.

2. Born on this day in 1916 Joe Bushkin, Bushkin began his career by playing trumpet and piano with New York City dance bands, including Frank LaMare's Band at the Roseland Ballroom in Brooklyn. He joined Bunny Berigan's band in 1935, played with Eddie Condon from 1936 to 1937, and with Max Kaminsky and Joe Marsala, before rejoining Berigan in 1938. He then left to join Muggsy Spanier's Ragtime Band in 1939. From the late 1930s through to the late 1940s, he also worked with Tommy Dorsey and Eddie Condon on records, radio, and television. He worked on the soundtrack of Road to Morocco (1942), starring Bing Crosby, and several commercial sessions. Wartime United States army air corp turned him back into a trumpeter; he also recorded with Lester Young on piano and directed music for Moss Hart’s morale-booster Winged Victory on Broadway for six months before serving in the South Pacific. After his service in World War II, he worked with Louis Armstrong, Bud Freeman, and Benny Goodman. Bushkin performed with Louis Armstrong and his All Stars with Velma Middleton singing vocals for the ninth Cavalcade of Jazz concert held at Wrigley Field in Los Angeles. The concert was produced by Leon Hefflin, Sr. on June 7, 1953. Also featured that day were Roy Brown and his Orchestra, Don Tosti and His Mexican Jazzmen, Earl Bostic, Nat "King" Cole, and Shorty Rogers and his Orchestra. He married Francice Netcher, elder sister of socialite Mollie Wilmot. The couple had four children – Nina, Maria, Teresa, and Christina. They lived in Santa Barbara, California, on a ranch. His best-known composition might be "Oh! Look at Me Now", with John DeVries, written when he worked in Tommy Dorsey's band in 1941. That song became Frank Sinatra's second hit and one of his most enduring songs, right after "Polka Dots and Moonbeams." One of Bushkin's television appearances was on a thirty-minute Judy Garland musical special produced for the General Electric Theater which aired on April 8, 1956, on the CBS Television Network. According to Coyne Steven Sanders, author of the book Rainbow's End: The Judy Garland Show, Bushkin was a last-minute replacement for the classic pianist Leonard Pennario. On that program, he accompanied Garland on piano as she sang "Last Night When We Were Young" and "Life Is Just a Bowl of Cherries." In his 60s, Bushkin's semi-retirement was ended by an offer from Bing Crosby for them to tour together in 1976 and 1977; Bushkin also appeared on Crosby's 1975 Christmas TV special with Fred Astaire. He also performed in a concert series at New York's St. Regis hotel in 1984 that celebrated his 50 years in show business. Bushkin died of pneumonia in Santa Barbara, California, in 2004.

3. Born on this day in 1937, Mary Travers, a singer-songwriter from the American folk group Peter Paul and Mary, had the 1969 US No.1 & 1970 UK No.2 single 'Leaving On A Jet Plane. The Bob Dylan song 'Blowin' in the Wind' was one of their biggest hit singles. They also sang other Dylan songs, such as 'The Times They Are a-Changin'' and 'Don't Think Twice, It's All Right. She died on 16th Sept 2009 aged 72.

4. Born on this day in 1942 Johnny Rivers, US singer, and songwriter, (1966 US No.1 single 'Poor Side Of Town' plus over 15 other US Top 40 hits). 

5. Born on this day in 1943 Joni Mitchell (Roberta Anderson), Canadian singer, and songwriter, 1970 UK No.11 single 'Big Yellow Taxi', 1974 US No.7 single ‘Help Me. She wrote 'Both Sides Now' a hit for Judy Collins and 'Woodstock' a hit for Crosby, Stills Nash & Young, and Matthews Southern Comfort. Mitchell's work is highly respected by critics, and she has deeply influenced fellow musicians in a diverse range of genres.

6. Born on this day in 1957 John "Jellybean" Benitez, producer, club DJ, and remixer, had the 1987 UK No.10 single 'Who Found Who'. He has also produced and remixed artists such as Madonna, Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, and the Pointer Sisters.

7. Born on this day in 1967 Sharleen Spiteri, singer, and songwriter from Scottish pop rock band Texas had the 1997 UK No.3 single 'Say What You Want, and the 1997 UK No.1 album White On Blonde which has been certified six-times platinum in the UK.

8. Born on this day in 1967 David Guetta, a French DJ. He produced the Black Eyed Peas song ‘I Gotta Feeling’, and scored the 2009 Australian No.1 single ‘Sexy **ahem**’ featuring Akon.

9. David Guetta, French DJ. He produced the Black Eyed Peas song ‘I Gotta Feeling’, and scored the 2009 Australian No.1 single ‘Sexy B**ch’ featuring Akon.

10. Born on this day in 1996 New Zealand singer-songwriter, Ella Yelich-O'Connor, known by her stage name Lorde had the 2013 worldwide hit 'Royals', making her the first New Zealand solo artist to have a No.1 song in the United States. Her second studio album Melodrama topped the charts in New Zealand, Australia, the United States, and Canada.

MOHLovesAlaska

Good Tuesday morning and welcome to This Day In The History Of Music. Enjoy the read.

1. A). 1926 George Gershwin's musical "Oh, Kay" premieres in NYC.    

B) In 1928 George and Ira Gershwin's musical "Treasure Girl" premieres in NYC. Gershwin Of Russian and Jewish heritage, George Gershwin grew up in the tenements of New York to become one of the 20th century's most important composers. Gershwin worked as a "song plugger" from the age of 15, his first big hit was the song "Swanee" with words by Irving Caesar. He went on to produce the classical work, "Rhapsody in Blue" in 1924, establishing his ability to mix different musical styles, from classical to jazz to popular music. A number of musicals followed which have become classics including "Funny Face" (1927), "An American in Paris (1928), and "Girl Crazy" (1930), which made stars Ginger Rogers. Many of his musicals were written with his older brother Ira Gershwin as the lyricist, including the opera "Porgy and Bess" which premiered in 1935. In 1936 Gershwin moved to Hollywood to write music for films, winning his sole Academy Award (with brother Ira) for "They Can't Take That Away from Me" from the 1937 film "Shall We Dance". The honor came posthumously, as he died of brain tumor complications before the film's release. George Gershwin was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1970. The US Postal Service honored George by himself with a commemorative stamp in 1973, and together with his brother Ira in 1999. In 2007, the US Library of Congress established the "Gershwin Prize for Popular Song" in honor of the brothers, awarded to a composer or performer for their lifetime contributions to popular music.

2. On this day in 1952 Al Martino the first ever UK pop chart was published by the New Musical Express after staff asked 53 record shops to divulge their sales returns. ‘Here In My Heart by Al Martino was the first No.1. The song stayed at No.1 for nine weeks.

3. On this day in 1958, The soundtrack to the movie South Pacific went to No.1 on the UK album chart. The film was based on the 1949 musical South Pacific by Rodgers and Hammerstein. The composers had much say in this recording, with many of the songs performed by accomplished singers rather than the actors in the film. Mitzi Gaynor and Ray Walston (who had played Luther Billis in the original national tour and in the original London production) were the only two leading performers who did their own singing in the film (and on the soundtrack album). The roles of Emile DeBecque, Bloody Mary, and Joe Cable were sung by Giorgio Tozzi, Muriel Smith (who had played the role in the original London production), and Bill Lee, respectively. The album became a major success, reaching No.1 in both the US and UK. In the US, the album stayed at No.1 for seven months - the fourth longest run ever. In the UK, the album remained in the top five for 27 consecutive weeks before reaching No.1 in November 1958. It stayed at the top for a record-breaking 115 weeks (the first 70 of these consecutively—including the whole year of 1959) and remained in the top five for 214 weeks. As of 2006, the album has sold 1,803,681 copies in the United Kingdom.

4. On this day in 1969 ’Something’ the first Beatles A-side composed by George Harrison entered the UK singles chart, it peaked at No.4 in the UK and went on to be a No.1 on the US chart. The song has been covered by over 150 artists, making it the second-most covered Beatles song after 'Yesterday'.

5. On this day in 1971 The untitled fourth studio album by the English rock band Led Zeppelin, commonly known as Led Zeppelin IV, was released on 8 November 1971 by Atlantic Records. It was produced by guitarist Jimmy Page and recorded between December 1970 and February 1971, mostly in the country house Headley Grange. The album is notable for featuring "Stairway to Heaven", which has been described as the band's signature song. The informal setting at Headley Grange inspired the band, allowing them to try different arrangements of material and create songs in various styles. After the band's previous album Led Zeppelin III received lukewarm reviews from critics, they decided their fourth album would officially be untitled and would be represented instead by four symbols chosen by each band member, without featuring the name or any other details of the cover. Unlike the prior two albums, the band was joined by some guest musicians, such as vocalist Sandy Denny on "The Battle of Evermore", and pianist Ian Stewart on "Rock and Roll". As with prior albums, most of the material was written by the band, though there was one cover song, a hard rock re-interpretation of the Memphis Minnie blues song "When the Levee Breaks". The album was a commercial and critical success and is Led Zeppelin's best-selling album, shipping over 37 million copies worldwide. It is one of the best-selling albums in the US, and critics have regularly placed it highly on lists of the greatest albums of all time. In 2010, Led Zeppelin IV was one of ten classic album covers from British artists commemorated on a UK postage stamp issued by the Royal Mail.

6. On this day in1975 David Bowie made his US TV debut performing 'Fame', on the Cher CBS-TV show. Bowie who was living in New York at the time had written the song with John Lennon during a jamming session.

7. On this day in 1986 "Song & Dance" closes at Royale Theater NYC after 474 performances. Song and Dance is a musical comprising two acts, one told entirely in "Song" and one entirely in "Dance", tied together by a unifying love story. The "Song" act is Tell Me on a Sunday, with lyrics by Don Black and music by Andrew Lloyd Webber, about a young British woman's romantic misadventures in New York City and Hollywood. The "Dance" act is a ballet choreographed to Variations, composed by Andrew Lloyd Webber for his cellist brother Julian, which is based on the A Minor Caprice No. 24 by Paganini.

8. On this day in 1986 Berlin started a four-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Take My Breath Away. The song which was featured in the film Top Gun was written by Giorgio Moroder and Tom Whitlock. It won the Academy Award for Best Original Song, as well as the Golden Globe Award for Best Original Song in 1986.

9. On this day in 1990 "Wicked Game" is a song by American rock musician Chris Isaak, released from his third album, Heart Shaped World (1989). Despite being released as a single in July 1989, it did not become a hit until it was featured in the 1990 David Lynch film Wild at Heart, starring Nicolas Cage and Laura Dern. Lee Chesnut, an Atlanta radio station music director who loved David Lynch films, began playing the song, and it quickly became an American top-10 hit in January 1991, reaching number six on the Billboard Hot 100, making it the first hit song of Isaak's career. The single also became a number-one hit in Belgium and reached the top 10 in several other nations. "Wicked Game" has been covered by many other artists and has been featured in numerous movies and television series and advertisements, so much so that Dazed magazine questioned whether it might be the most influential love song in modern music. It has subsequently received retrospective critical acclaim, being listed in the 2010 book 1001 Songs You Must Hear Before You Die, and noted by Dave Marsh in an updated edition of his 1989 book The Heart of Rock & Soul: The 1001 Greatest Singles Ever Made.

10. On this day in 1998 Robbie Williams scored his second UK No.1 album with 'I've Been Expecting You. The album, which featured his UK No.1 hit 'Millennium', went on to become the UK's best-selling album for that year with sales now over 2.5m.

11. On this day in 1999 Sacred Arias, is the sixth studio album by Andrea Bocelli. The album, featuring music composed in traditional Christian styles, is not only Bocelli's most commercially successful classical album to date with over 5 million copies sold but also the biggest-selling classical album by any solo artist in history. Bocelli was accompanied by the Orchestra dell'Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia, conducted by Myung-whun Chung.    

12. On this day in 2001 Winners at the MTV Europe Awards included Robbie Williams who won Best male and Best song for 'Rock DJ', Craig David won Best R&B act and Best UK & Ireland act, Dido won Best new act and Anastacia won Best pop act. Gorillaz won Best song for ‘Clint Eastwood’ and Best Dance act and Eminem won the Best Hip Hop award.

13. On this day in 2004 Greatest Hits is a greatest hits album by Shania Twain, released by Mercury Nashville. The album contains seventeen hits from each of all of her studio albums, with the exception of her debut album, and three new tracks, with each of them becoming singles; "Party for Two", which hit the top ten in US country, UK and Germany, "Don't!" and "I Ain't No Quitter". Greatest Hits was commercially successful; It debuted at number two on the Billboard 200 chart and at number one on the Top Country Albums chart with 530,000 copies sold, staying there for 11 consecutive weeks. The album was also the highest-selling country album in the US for 2005 and was certified 4× platinum in the US and 2× platinum in the UK. Additionally, Greatest Hits was recognized by Guinness World Records as the fastest-selling greatest hits album by a female artist in the US. As of December 2019, the album has sold 4.4 million copies in the US.

14. On this day in 2007 Four men were arrested on suspicion of perverting the course of justice after Police raided a house in Camden, London belonging to singer Amy Winehouse. The arrests were in connection with a court case involving Ms. Winehouse's husband Blake Fielder-Civil, who faced charges of causing grievous bodily harm.

15. On this day in 2008 AC/DC started a two-week run at #1 on the US album chart with 'Black Ice' the band's fifteenth studio album and the second-best-selling album of 2008. Black Ice went to #1 in 29 countries, including Australia, Canada, the UK, and the US.

16. On this day in 2009 Former Smiths frontman Morrissey stopped a concert halfway through his second song after being hit by a beer bottle. The 50-year-old singer who was hit in the eye by a plastic bottle of beer, said goodnight to the 8,000-strong crowd in Liverpool, England before walking off.

17. On this day in 2016 Adele more than doubled how much she's worth to be crowned the richest British celebrity under 30. She knocked One Direction off the top spot after their three-year run in the first place and was now reported to have an estimated £92m in the bank. Last year the 28-year-old was in fourth place on Heat's list of the 30 richest British stars under 30.

1. Born on this day in 1590 Francesco Gonzaga, an Italian composer, was born in Mantua, Italy (d. 1628)

2. Born on this day in 1927 Ken Dodd, was a British singer, and comedian. His 1965 UK No.1 single 'Tears' topped the UK singles chart for five weeks becoming the biggest hit single in Britain that year and selling over a million copies in the UK alone. The recording is the third best-selling song of the 1960s in Britain. In the 1960s, his fame in the UK was such that he rivaled The Beatles as a household name. He died on 11 March 2018 at age 90.

3. Born on this day in 1927 American singer of pop and country music singer Patti Page, was one of the most popular artists of the 1950s. She recorded four US No.1 hits, including 'Tennessee Waltz' and the novelty record '(How Much Is That) Doggie In The Window. Page recorded her first hit single, 'Confess' in 1947. Because of a strike, background singers were not available to provide harmony vocals for the song, so instead, Page decided to overdub her own, thus, Page became the first pop artist to overdub her vocals on a song. Page died on 1 January 2013 at the age of 85.

4. Born on this day in 1929 American songwriter and producer Bert Berns. He wrote many classic songs including 'Twist And Shout, 'Hang On Sloopy', ‘Here Comes the Night, ‘I Want Candy’, ‘Under the Boardwalk’, ‘Everybody Needs Somebody to Love and 'Brown Eyed Girl. Berns died of heart failure on December 30 aged 38.

5. Born on this day in 1944 Bonnie Bramlett, Delaney, and Bonnie, (1971 US No.13 single 'Never Ending Song Of Love, worked with Eric Clapton during the early 70s, acting roles in 'Fame', 'Roseanne' and 'The Doors'). 

6. Born on this day in 1946 Roy Wood, guitar, and vocals, with British rock band The Move who had the 1969 UK No.1 single 'Blackberry Way' and hits with 'I Can Hear The Grass Grow', 'Flowers in the Rain' and 'Fire Brigade'. And Wizzard scored the 1973 UK No.1 single 'See My Baby Jive'. Wood sang backing vocals on 'You Got Me Floatin'' a track on The Jimi Hendrix Experience Axis: Bold as Love album.

7. Born on this day in 1946 Australian-born songwriter, arranger, singer, and guitarist John Farrar has been a member of The Strangers, Marvin, Welch & Farrar, and The Shadows. He wrote the No.1 hit singles for Olivia Newton-John, 'Have You Have Never Been Mellow' and 'You're the One That I Want with John Travolta.

8. Born on this day in 1954 American vocalist, musician, and songwriter, Rickie Lee Jones is a two-time Grammy Award winner. Her 1979 single 'Chuck E.'s In Love was a No.4 hit on the Billboard Hot 100.

9. Born on this day in 1957 Porl Thompson, with English rock band The Cure had the 1989 US No.2 single 'Love Song', the 1992 UK No.6 single 'Friday I'm In Love, plus over 20 other UK Top 40 singles.

10. Born on this day in 1958 Terry Lee Miall, from the English rock band Adam and the Ants scored the 1981 UK No.1 single 'Stand And Deliver and 15 other UK Top 40 singles.

11. Born on this day in 1977 Tiffani Wood, Australian singer, and songwriter, from Bardot, winner of the Australian Popstars reality show, had the 2000 Australian No.1 single ‘Poison’, and 2000 Australian No.1 self-titled album. Now solo.

12. Born on this day in 1985 Jack Osbourne, son of Ozzy and star of MTV The Osbournes TV Show.

13. Born on this day in 1990 SZA is an American R&B singer-songwriter ("All the Stars", Ctrl), who was born in St. Louis, Missouri. 

14. Born on this day in 1994 Lauren Alaina, American singer-songwriter (American Idol), was born in Rossville, Georgia.

Have a great Tuesday, take care, and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska

Good Wednesday morning, and welcome to This Day In The History Of Music. Enjoy the read.

1. On this day in 1858 1st performance of the NY Symphony Orchestra.     

(SideNote:) On This Day In Music History has it dated 1858, but This Day In Music makes no mention of it whatsoever, and according to Wikipedia The New York Symphony Orchestra was founded as the New York Symphony Society in New York City by Leopold Damrosch in 1878. For many years it was a fierce rival to the older Philharmonic Symphony Society of New York (New York Philharmonic). It was supported by Andrew Carnegie who built Carnegie Hall (opened in 1891) expressly for the orchestra.

(SideNote) Personally, I agree with Wikipedia on this information my reason for agreeing is the simple fact Wikipedia provides a piece of more in-depth information about this event in music history. If you as the reader wish to look further into this conflicting event then please do so, and whatever information you find please share it, but I would also kindly ask that you provide all sources that you obtained your information. I do try my very best to post nothing but true facts in this post.

2. On this day in 1955 The Everly Brothers made their first studio recordings cutting four tracks in 22 minutes, at Nashville's Old Tulane Hotel studios. Family friend Chet Atkins engineered a chance for The Everly Brothers to record for Columbia Records in early 1956. However, their first and only single for the label, 'Keep A' Lovin' Me', was a flop, and they were quickly dropped from Columbia.

3. On this day in 1958  Elvis Presley's "Hound Dog/Don't Be Cruel" single became just the third record to sell more than 3 million copies, following Bing Crosby's "White Christmas" and Gene Autry's " Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer." After writing this song with Jerry Leiber, Mike Stoller got married and went on a trip to Europe.

4. On this day in 1966 John Lennon met Yoko Ono for the first time when he visited her art exhibition 'Unfinished Paintings and Objects' at the Indica Gallery in London.

5. On this day in 1968 Joe Cocker's version of The Beatle's song "With A Little Help From My Friends" becomes the No. 1 single in the UK. To this day, six years after his passing, Joe Cocker’s version of the Sgt. Pepper's song ‘With A Little Help From My Friends’ remains an integral part of his legacy. The Beatles are likely the most covered artist in the world but very rarely do those covers surpass the original.

6. On this day in 1968 Led Zeppelin played their first ever London show when they appeared at The Roundhouse, Chalk Farm on the same bill as John Lee Hooker, Deviants, John James, and Tyres. Zeppelin singer Robert Plant married his girlfriend Maureen in London on this day and held the reception at the gig. 

7. On this day in 1969 Simon and Garfunkel recorded what would become their signature tune, 'Bridge Over Troubled Water with a future member of Bread, Larry Knechtel on piano. Art wanted Paul to sing the song, but Paul insisted that Art's voice was better suited for it. It was a decision that Paul would later say he regretted. The song won five awards at the 13th Annual Grammy Awards in 1971, including the Grammy Award for Record of the Year and Song of the Year.

8. On this day in 1973 Columbia Records releases "Piano Man", singer-songwriter Billy Joel's second studio album.

(SideNote:) This is from On This Day in Music History, according to Wikipedia "Piano Man" is a song written and performed by American singer-songwriter Billy Joel. His first single in North America was included on Joel's 1973 album of the same name and later released as a single on November 2, 1973. The song is sung from Joel's point of view as a piano player at a bar, reminiscing about his experiences there and the people he encountered. "Piano Man" is based on Joel's real-life experiences as a lounge musician in Los Angeles from 1972 to 1973, which he had decided to pursue in an effort to escape his contracted New York City-based record company at the time, Family Productions, following the poor commercial performance of the album Cold Spring Harbor. Joel describes various characters, including a bartender named John and a "real estate novelist" named Paul, all based on real-life individuals. (Please Feel Free) you can research further if you so choose, but again I kindly ask please provide any additional information with all sources. 

9. On this day in 1974 Bachman Turner Overdrive went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet'. Randy Bachman stuttered through the lyrics of the demo recording as a private joke about his brother Gary, who had a speech impediment. The record company liked that take better than the non-stammering version and released it.

10. On this day in 1985 Jan Hammer went to No.1 on the US singles chart with the 'Miami Vice Theme', a No.5 hit in the UK.

11. On this day in 1991 Richard Marx played in five cities in 1 day during a 'Rush-n Rush Out, Street Tour'. Marx appeared in Baltimore, New York City, Cleveland, Chicago, and Burbank Airport.

12. On this day in 1991 Prince and the New Power Generation started a two-week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Cream', a No.15 hit in the UK.

13. On this day in 1993 The Dave Matthews Band released their first album, ‘Remember Two Things’ on the Bama Rags label.

14. On this day in 1999 American producer, songwriter, and co-founder of Atlantic records Herb Abramson died at age 82. He produced Tommy Tucker's 1964 hit 'High Heeled Sneakers.' He was the owner of A-1 Sound studios and clients included Barry Manilow, Bette Midler, The Supremes, Patti Smith, and Muddy Waters.

15. On this day in 2002 Viewers of the UK music channel VH1 voted 'I Will Always Love You by Whitney Houston as the number 1 most romantic song ever. In second place was Elvis Presley You Were Always On My Mind' and third place went to 'My Heart Will Go On by Celine Dion.

16. On this day in 2006 British rocker David Bowie performs on stage for the final time - three songs at a charity concert in New York City's Hammerstein Ballroom: "Wild Is the Wind", "Fantastic Voyage", and a duet of "Changes" with Alicia Keys.

17. On this day in 2007 Alicia Keys releases her 3rd studio album “As I Am” (Grammy Award Best Female R&B Vocal Performance 2008, 2008 Billboard Album of the Year).

18. On this day in 2011 Pop singer-songwriter Shakira is honored as Latin Recording Academy Person of the Year. 

19. On this day in 2014 One Direction was the big winner at the 2014 MTV Europe Music Awards, held in Glasgow, Scotland, picking up three awards including best pop act. They also won best live and biggest fans. Ariana Grande picked up her first EMA's for best female and best song for 'Problem'. 5 Seconds Of Summer won the Best New Act award.

20. On this day in 2014 Cheryl Fernandez-Versini become the first British female solo artist to have five No.1 singles in the UK after her latest song, 'I Don't Care', entered the Official Charts in pole position. The 31-year-old overtook Spice Girl Geri Halliwell and Rita Ora, who both had four chart-toppers.

21. On this day in 2015 Scottish session drummer Andy White died aged 82. He has been affectionately christened "the fifth Beatle" as he was best known for replacing Ringo Starr on drums on the Beatles' first single, ‘Love Me Do. White was featured on the American 7" single release of the song, which also appeared on the band's debut British album, Please Please Me. He also played on ‘P.S. I Love You, which was the B-side of ‘Love Me Do. White also worked with Chuck Berry, Billy Fury, Herman's Hermits, and Tom Jones. 

22. On this day in 2015 "Love Yourself" single was released by Justin Bieber (Billboard Song of the Year 2016, Grammy Song of the Year).

23. On this day in 2016 David Bowie's retrospective show at the Victoria & Albert Museum enjoyed so much foot traffic it was now officially the most successful touring exhibition in the cultural institution’s 164-year history. According to the V&A, over half a million people had visited David Bowie Is in sites across the globe, including the 312,000 visitors who saw the exhibition in London back in 2013.

1. Born on this day in 1664 Johann Speth, German composer and organist, was born in Speinshart, some 150 km from Nuremberg, but spent most of his life in Augsburg, where he worked as cathedral organist for two years. His only surviving music is a 1693 collection, Ars Magna Consoni et Dissoni, which includes toccatas, Magnificat versets, and variations in the south German style.

2. Born on this day in 1936 Mary Allin Travers was an American singer-songwriter who was known for being in the famous 1960s folk trio Peter, Paul, and Mary, along with Peter Yarrow and Paul Stookey. Travers grew up amid the burgeoning folk scene in New York City's Greenwich Village, and she released five solo albums. She sang in the contralto range.

3. Born on this day in 1941 American musician Tom Fogerty, best known as the rhythm guitarist for Creedence Clearwater Revival scored the 1969 US No.2 & UK No.1 single 'Bad Moon Rising, and the 1970 US & UK No.1 album Cosmo's Factory. The band has sold 26 million albums in the United States alone. Fogerty died on 6 September 1990.

4. Born on this day in 1944 Phil May, singer with the Pretty Things. He played on all of their charting singles, which included 'Rosalyn', (covered by David Bowie on his Pinups album) 'Don't Bring Me Down, 'Road Runner', and 'Cry to Me. They took their name from Willie Dixon's 1955 song 'Pretty Thing'. He died on 15 May 2020 age 75 after suffering complications from emergency hip surgery.

5. Born on this day in 1948 Joe Bouchard, bassist from American hard rock band Blue Oyster Cult scored the 1976 US No.12 & 1978 UK No.16 single '(Don't Fear) The Reaper'. Blue Oyster Cult has sold over 24 million records worldwide.

6. Born on this day in 1948 Alan Gratzer, from American rock band REO Speedwagon, had the 1981 US No.1's 'Keep On Loving You and 'Can't Fight This Feeling'. They named the band REO Speedwagon, after the REO Speed Wagon, a flatbed truck.

7. Born on this day in 1949 Thomas Michael Caldwell was the bassist for The Marshall Tucker Band between 1973 and 1980. Caldwell composed several of their songs and played bass, percussion, and guitar, as well as contributing backup vocals, though he sang lead on "Melody Ann" the only song on which he performed lead vocals. His last performance with the band was on April 18, 1980, ten days before his fatal accident.

8. Born on this day in 1969 Sandra Denton (Pepa) from the American hip-hop/rap trio from New York City Salt-N-Pepa had a 1991 hit single 'Let's Talk About Sex.

9. Born on this day in 1970 Scarface, (Brad Terrance Jordan), American rapper, (1997 US No.1 album ‘The Untouchable’).

10. Born on this day in 1984 Delta Goodrem, Australian singer, and actress, (Nina Tucker in the TV soap opera Neighbours). 2002 Australian No.1 and 2003 UK No. 3 single ‘Born To Try’ plus six other Australian No.1 singles. 2003 UK No.2 album ‘Innocent Eyes.

11. Born on this day in 1994 British recording artist, musician, singer, songwriter, and record producer MNEK. His writing and production credits include Little Mix, Dua Lipa, The Saturdays, Clean Bandit, Craig David, Christina Aguilera, Kylie Minogue, Beyoncé, and Madonna. 

Have a great Wednesday, take care, and stay safe.

MOHLovesAlaska

GeraldPandora
Pandora Moderator - Emeritus
Pandora Moderator - Emeritus

Thanks for sharing @MOHLovesAlaska! Very interesting to find out that "Piano Man" was written and performed on this day!

Happy birthday to all the artists and Community members that were born on this day! 🎉 

Gerald | Community Moderator
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Follow us on Twitter @ PandoraSupport

@GeraldPandora thank you for your reply, and for your great support as well.

Piano Man by Billy Joel is a great song, I have to say it is in my top 50 all-time songs that I like.

_1080W_1080H (8).jpg Piano Man enjoy the song for all who want to hear it.

Take care and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska

Good Thursday morning and welcome to This Day In The History Of Music. Enjoy the read. 

1. On this day in 1945 Harry Revel and Arnold B. Horwitt's American musical comedy "Are You with It?" opens at Century Theater, NYC, The musical book by Sam Perrin and George Balzer is based on the novel Slightly Perfect by George Malcolm-Smith. The production opened on Broadway at the New Century Theatre where it ran from November 10, 1945, through April 27, 1946. The show then moved to the Shubert Theatre where it played from April 30 through June 29, 1946, closing after a total of 264 performances.

2. On this day in 1955 Elvis Presley attended the fourth Country Music Disc Jockey Convention in Nashville Tennessee. Back at his hotel Mae Boren Axton played him a demo of a new song she had written with Tommy Durden called 'Heartbreak Hotel. Presley released the track as a single on January 27, 1956, his first on his new record label RCA Victor. The song gave him his first No.1 pop record.

3. On this day in 1956 Gene de Paul and Johnny Mercer's musical "Li'l Abner", based on the hillbilly comic strip, opens at the St. James Theatre, NYC; runs for 693 performances. (SideNote) This Day In Music makes no mention of this musical, Wikipedia provides this information Li'l Abner is a 1956 musical with a book by Norman Panama and Melvin Frank, music by Gene De Paul, and lyrics by Johnny Mercer. Based on the comic strip Li'l Abner by Al Capp, the show is, on the surface, a broad spoof of hillbillies, but it is also a pointed satire on other topics, ranging from American politics and incompetence in the United States federal government to propriety and gender roles. After several other writers and composers considered musicalizing the comic strip, Al Capp finally made a deal in 1955 with the eventual creators for a musical to be financed by Paramount Pictures, which wanted to follow the stage version with a film musical. The Broadway production opened on November 15, 1956, and ran for a moderately successful 693 performances. The score and Michael Kidd's choreography received critical praise, but some critics felt that the book's adaptation lost the spirit of the comic strip. Kidd and Edie Adams, as Daisy Mae, won Tony Awards, while newcomer Peter Palmer, in the title role, won a Theatre World Award. Paramount released a film version with the same title in 1959, with most of the Broadway cast reprising their roles. Wikipedia as well as On This Day In Music History agree on everything except for the date. I will not re-post this again on the 15th. 

4. On this day in 1967 The Beatles filmed three promotional films for their new single ‘Hello Goodbye’ at the Saville Theatre in London. Each of the three film clips featured different costumes and the Beatles' antics. In the first film, they wear their Sgt. Pepper uniforms, for the second The Beatles are wearing everyday clothes, the third film clip features shots from the first two films, plus additional shots of (especially John) doing the twist. A Musician's Union ban on lip-sync broadcasts prevented the films from being used on British television.

5. On this day in 1973 Elton John started an eight-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, the singer's third US No.1. The album had the working titles of Vodka and Tonics and Silent Movies, Talking Pictures, is his best selling studio album with worldwide sales of over 15 million copies. Recorded at the Château d'Hérouville, the album contains the Marilyn Monroe tribute, 'Candle in the Wind', as well as three successful singles: 'Bennie and the Jets, 'Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting, and the title track.

6. On this day in 1973 Ship Ahoy is a rhythm and blues album by Philadelphia soul group The O'Jays,  The album was a critical and commercial success, reaching #1 on Billboard's "Black Albums" chart and #11 on the "Pop Albums" chart and launching two hit singles, "For the Love of Money" and "Put Your Hands Together." Conceived as a theme album built around the title track, Ship Ahoy includes socially relevant tracks and love songs under a cover that is itself notable for its serious subject matter. The album, which achieved RIAA platinum certification in 1992 for over 1 million copies sold, has been reissued multiple times, including in a 2003 edition with a bonus track. Ship Ahoy was the highest-selling R&B album on the Billboard Year-End chart for 1974. 

7. On this day in 1975 Patti Smith released her debut studio album Horses. Produced by John Cale, Horses has since been viewed by critics as one of the greatest and most influential albums in the history of the American punk rock movement, as well as one of the greatest albums of all time. Horses have also been cited as a key influence on a number of acts, including Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Smiths, R.E.M., and PJ Harvey.

8. On this day in 1975 David Bowie was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Space Oddity' the track was first released in 1969 to tie in with the Apollo 11 moon landing. Rick Wakeman (former keyboard player with Yes) provided synthesizer backing. Bowie would later revisit his Major Tom character in the songs' Ashes to Ashes, 'Hallo Spaceboy', and 'Blackstar'.

9. On this day in 1975 The Eagles went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Heartache Tonight'. The track was included on their album The Long Run and released as a single in 1979. It reached No. 1 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 in November of that year and was certified Platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America representing one million copies sold. It was the Eagles' final chart-topping song on the Hot 100.

10. On this day in 1975 Fleetwood Mac scored their second UK No.1 album with the double set 'Tusk'. Tusk peaked at number four on the Billboard 200 in the United States but spent less than nine months on the chart. It was certified double platinum for shipping two million copies. It peaked at number one in the UK and achieved a platinum award for shipments in excess of 300,000 copies. The album gave the group two US top-10 hit singles, with the Buckingham-penned title track (US number eight/UK number six).

11. On this day in 1984 Former Rufus singer Chaka Khan was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'I Feel For You.' Written by Prince, the song featured Stevie Wonder on harmonica and the Rap was by Grandmaster Melle Mel. The repetition of Khan's name by rapper Melle Mel at the beginning of the song was originally a mistake made by producer Arif Mardin, who then decided to keep it.

12. On this day in 1984 After setting a new record for advanced orders, 1,099,500 copies, Frankie Goes To Hollywood went to No.1 on the UK album chart with their debut LP 'Welcome To The Pleasure Dome.' Also on this day, Frankie Goes To Hollywood made their debut TV appearance on Saturday Night Live performing 'Two Tribes' and 'Born To Run.

13. On this day in 1986 Columbia Records releases Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band "Live/1975-85", a 5 LP box set of concert recordings.

14. On this day in 1990 Vanilla Ice started a 16-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'To The Extreme.' Born in South Dallas, and raised in Texas and South Florida, Ice released his debut album, Hooked, in 1989 on Ichiban Records, before signing a contract with SBK Records, a record label of the EMI Group, which released a reformatted version of the album in 1990 under the title To the Extreme which became the fastest-selling hip hop album of all time and contained Ice's best-known hits: "Ice Ice Baby" and a cover of "Play That Funky Music". "Ice Ice Baby" was the first hip-hop single to top the Billboard charts and has been credited with helping to diversify hip-hop by introducing it to a mainstream audience. Although he was successful, Ice later regretted his business arrangements with SBK, which had paid him to adopt a more commercial appearance to appeal to a mass audience, and published fabricated biographical information without his knowledge. Soundtrack appearances and a live album, Extremely Live, continued the success, but a second mainstream studio album, Mind Blowin', featured an image change which saw a massive drop in popularity for Ice, and his subsequent albums, Hard to Swallow, Bi-Polar, and Platinum Underground, failed to chart or receive much radio airplay. In 2009, Ice began hosting The Vanilla Ice Project on DIY Network.

15. On this day in 1997 American session guitarist Tommy Tedesco died of lung cancer aged 67. Described by "Guitar Player" magazine as the most recorded guitarist in history recording with The Beach Boys, Everly Brothers, Supremes, The Monkees, The Association, Barbra Streisand, Elvis Presley, Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Zappa, Sam Cooke, Cher, and Nancy and Frank Sinatra. And played on many TV themes including Bonanza, The Twilight Zone, M*A*S*H, and Batman.

16. On this day in 2008 Coldplay was declared the biggest-selling act of 2008 at the World Music Awards held in Monaco. The band picked up the prize ‘ along with the Rock Act Of The Year award ‘ after their current album 'Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends' topped charts around the globe. Other winners at the awards included Leona Lewis for Best Pop Female and Best New Artist, Amy Winehouse was the winner in the Female Pop/Rock award, while Alicia Keys was named best in the R&B category. Lil' Wayne bagged the Hip-Hop/Rap Artist award, while Akon was declared the Biggest Internet Artist Of The Year.  

17. On this day in 2010 44th Country Music Association Award: Brad Paisley, Miranda Lambert & Blake Shelton win. Held at the MGM Grand Garden Arena, in Las Vegas, Nevada. The ceremony was hosted by ACM Award winner Reba McEntire. 

18. On this day in 2014 "Uptown Funk" single was released by Bruno Mars (Billboard Song of the Year 2015, Grammy Record Of The Year, Grammy Song of the Year 2016)

19. Allen Toussaint the American musician, songwriter, composer, record producer, and influential figure in New Orleans R&B died aged 77 while on tour in Madrid, Spain. Many artists recorded his songs including; 'Mother-in-Law', 'Fortune Teller', 'Ride Your Pony', 'Working in the Coal Mine', 'Here Come the Girls, 'Yes We Can Can' and 'Southern Nights. Alison Krauss and Robert Plant covered 'Fortune Teller' on their 2007 album Raising Sand.

1. Born on this day in 1636 Francesco Passarini was an Italian composer and organist. His last name is given variously as Pasarini, Passarino, and Passerini. A native of Bologna, Passarini was the son of Antonio and Angela Cuppini; his name at birth was Camillo. Died 09/23/1694. 

2. Born on this day in 1759 Johann Christoph Friedrich von Schiller was a German playwright, poet, and philosopher. During the last seventeen years of his life, Schiller developed a productive, if complicated, friendship with the already famous and influential Johann Wolfgang von Goethe. They frequently discussed issues concerning aesthetics, and Schiller encouraged Goethe to finish works that he had left as sketches. This relationship and these discussions led to a period now referred to as Weimar Classicism. They also worked together on Xenien, a collection of short satirical poems in which both Schiller and Goethe challenge opponents of their philosophical vision.

3. Born on this day in 1891 Carl Stalling is the most famous unknown composer of the 20th century, almost solely based on his work composing musical scores for animated cartoons. Stalling's first work in music was as house organist at Newman Theatre in Kansas City, where he would accompany the latest silent film with his organ playing. He soon came to the attention of fellow Kansan Walt Disney, who recruited Stalling as musical director for his fledgling animation company. At Disney, Stalling invented the "tick" method, a timing device that allows animators to set the tempo of the cartoons so that the musicians can play along before the cartoon is even drawn! Stalling created the music for Disney's early "Silly Symphonies", including The Skeleton Dance (1929). Stalling left Disney in 1930 to join the new animation group at Warner Brothers. The advantage for Stalling was that he now had access to Warner's enormous library of popular songs, which he began to employ as a sort of musical pun. For example, any scene showing someone freezing would be accompanied by a bit of "Am I Blue?", or any shot of a country bumpkin would be followed by a few bars of "Arkansas Traveller." Stalling's main source of musical inspiration, however, was the works of Raymond Scott; Scott's "Powerhouse" theme is forever linked with Stalling's work for Warners. Stalling was a quiet man, granting only one interview about his work (for "Funny world" magazine).

4. Born on this day in 1923 English vocalist Anne Shelton is remembered for providing inspirational songs for soldiers both on radio broadcasts, and in person, at British military bases during the Second World War. She had the 1956 UK No. 1 'Lay Down Your Arms. Shelton died of a heart attack on 31 July 1994 at age 70.

5. Born on this day in 1928 Ennio Morricone OMRI was an Italian composer, orchestrator, conductor, and trumpeter who wrote music in a wide range of styles. With more than 400 scores for cinema and television, as well as more than 100 classical works, Morricone is widely considered one of the most prolific and greatest film composers of all time. His filmography includes more than 70 award-winning films, all of Sergio Leone's films since A Fistful of Dollars, all of Giuseppe Tornatore's films since Cinema Paradiso, The Battle of Algiers, Dario Argento's Animal Trilogy, 1900, Exorcist II, Days of Heaven, several major films in French cinema, in particular the comedy trilogy La Cage aux Folles I, II, III and Le Professionnel, as well as The Thing, Once Upon a Time in America, The Mission, The Untouchables, Mission to Mars, Bugsy, Disclosure, In the Line of Fire, Bulworth, Ripley's Game, and The Hateful Eight. His score to The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is regarded as one of the most recognizable and influential soundtracks in history. It was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame.

6. Born on this day in 1929 Marilyn Bergman. Alan Bergman and Marilyn Keith Bergman were an American songwriting duo. Married from 1958 until Marilyn's death, together they wrote music and lyrics for numerous celebrated television, film, and stage productions. The Bergmans enjoyed a successful career, were honored with four Emmys, three Oscars, and two Grammys, and were inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame.

7. Born on this day in 1941 Kyu Sakamoto, (1963 US No.1 & UK No.6 single 'Sukiyaki', the first ever Japanese US No.1). Killed in a plane crash on 12th August 1985.

8. Born on this day in 1947 American songwriter Allee Willis. She co-wrote many hit songs including 'September' and 'Boogie Wonderland' by Earth, Wind & Fire, and 'I’ll Be There for You by the Rembrandts, the theme from the TV sitcom Friends. Her compositions sold over 60 million records. She was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 2018. She died on 24 December 2019 age 72.  

9. Born on this day in 1945  Donna Fargo is an American country singer-songwriter known for a series of Top 10 country hits in the 1970s. These include "The Happiest Girl In The Whole U.S.A." and "Funny Face", both of which were released in 1972 and became crossover pop hits that year.             

10. Born on this day in 1947 Glenn Buxton, guitarist with the Alice Cooper Band, who had the 1972 UK No.1 & US No.7 single 'School's Out, the 1972 hit 'Elected', and the 1973 US & UK No.1 album Billion Dollar Babies. He died on 19 October 1997.

11. Born on this day in 1947 Greg Lake, British rock vocalist and bassist (King Crimson, 1968-70 - "I Talk To The Wind"; Emerson, Lake & Palmer - "Lucky Man"), was born in Poole, Dorset, England (d. 2016) (SideNote) On This Day In The History Of Music and Wikipedia agree Greg Lake was born in 1947, This day In Music has him born in the year 1948. 

12. Born on this day in 1978 Eve is US female rapper, (2001 UK No.4 single, featuring Gwen Stefani, "Let Me Blow Ya Mind" is a song by American rapper Eve, featuring American singer Gwen Stefani. It was released on April 2, 2001, as the second and final single from Eve's second album, Scorpion. It became Eve's highest-charting single on the US Billboard Hot 100, peaking at number two on the week of August 18, 2001. Worldwide, the song reached number 29 in Canada, number four in Australia and the United Kingdom, and number one in Belgium, Ireland, Norway, and Switzerland.

13. Born on this day in 1983 Miranda Leigh Lambert is an American country music singer and songwriter. She started out in early 2001 when she released her self-titled debut album independently. In 2003, she finished in third place on the television program Nashville Star, a singing competition that aired on the USA Network. Outside her solo career, she is a member of the Pistol Annies formed in 2011 alongside Ashley Monroe and Angaleena Presley. Lambert has been honored with the Grammy Awards, the Academy of Country Music Awards, and the Country Music Association Awards. Lambert has been honored with more Academy of Country Music Awards than any artist in history.

Have a great Thursday, take care, and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska

I will try and get this posted either later today or perhaps tomorrow. Sorry for the delay.

Have a great Monday take care and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska

dianatravins
Local Performer

Thank you.🙃