cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This Day In The History Of Music.

Elvis Presley made his first public appearance as a singer on this day. It did not go well: he came fifth in a local talent show. But he was only ten years old. October 3, 1945; Chopin: The Day the Music Died The brief life of Chopin, one of music’s earliest superstars, ended on this day when the sickly composer fell victim to tuberculosis.  Source- | This Day In Music. For those who may not know. Elvis Presley was known as the King of Rock-n-Roll. 

P.S I am thinking about posting each day. If anyone in the Pandora community would like to add or suggest this post, then please do. I welcome all who are interested. Thank you. Take care everyone, and please stay safe as well.

25af85826df226c58a2984b3ec315386.jpg

P.S. I will be using two sources of information for "This Day In The History Of Music". The first source is This Day In Music and the second source is On This Day in Music History. And for the faithful readers of this post, you probably have also noticed I use a third source when the two sources that I do use are not in agreement with the facts, the third source will always be listed. When the third source has to be used I will always list it as a (Side Note:) and it will always be highlighted in bold red just as you see it now. When I have to use a third source it will normally agree with one of the other two sources, that is when I will agree with that information, in the case where the third source also differs from the other two I will just go with the first date and information given. When this happens I will leave it up to the reader to look into the fact and or facts for that blog, and please feel free to leave a reply about any additional information you may have found, and please list the source and or sources that you used for that additional information. I try my very best to add nothing but true facts to this post, and I will always give the source that I took those facts. When I add my own personal opinion I will do so as a side note as well, but that will be highlighted in bold blue. I do hope you enjoy reading this post, history has always been my favorite subject throughout my whole life, from grade school through college, and even to this day. 

Take care and stay safe. 

mod edit: format

MOHLovesAlaska
579 Replies

Good Thursday afternoon, here are a few music facts for This Day In The History Of Music. Have a great Thursday. 

1). On this day in 1607, L'Orfeo (Italian pronunciation: [lorˈfɛːo]), sometimes called La favola d'Orfeo [la ˈfaːvola dorˈfɛːo], is a late Renaissance/early Baroque favola in musica, or opera, by Claudio Monteverdi, with a libretto by Alessandro Striggio. It is based on the Greek legend of Orpheus and tells the story of his descent to Hades and his fruitless attempt to bring his dead bride Eurydice back to the living world. It was written in 1607 for a court performance during the annual Carnival at Mantua. While Jacopo Peri's Dafne is generally recognized as the first work in the opera genre, and the earliest surviving opera is Peri's Euridice, L'Orfeo is the earliest that is still regularly performed.

2). On this day in 1956, Piston's Fifth Symphony was commissioned by the Juilliard School of Music on the occasion of its 50th anniversary. It was completed in 1954, but premiered only on February 24, 1956, by the Juilliard Orchestra, conducted by Jean-Paul Morel. The program also included premieres of works by Peter Mennin, Lukas Foss, Milton Babbitt, Irving Fine, Ross Lee Finney, and William Schuman.

3). On this day in 1964, Country music legend Buck Owens's single "My Heart Skips a Beat" was Owens's third number one on the U.S. country singles chart. "My Heart Skips a Beat" spent seven non-consecutive weeks at the top with a total of twenty-six weeks on the chart. The B-side, "Together Again", also hit number one on the country chart both replacing and being replaced by "My Heart Skips a Beat" from the top spot.

4). 1973 - Roberta Flack had her second US No.1 when 'Killing Me Softly With His Song', started a five-week run at the top of the charts. The song was written in collaboration with singer-songwriter Lori Lieberman and was born of a poem she wrote after experiencing a strong reaction to the Don McLean song 'Empty Chairs.' Roberta Flack first heard the song during a flight. She performed it for the first time live when supporting Marvin Gaye who told her she had to record a version before playing it live again.

5). On February 24, 1977, Crystal Gayle won Best Female Vocalist at the 12th Annual Academy of Country Music Awards. In 1978, the singer with floor-length hair became the first female country artist to reach platinum sales, with her 1977 album “We Must Believe in Magic.” The album included her country-pop crossover hit, “Don’t It Make My Brown Eyes Blue.” So far, Gayle has scored 20 No. 1 country songs. As one of the most successful country-pop crossover acts of the 1970s and 1980s, she paved the way for artists such as Faith Hill, Shania Twain, and Carrie Underwood. Gayle was born Brenda Gail Webb on January 9, 1951, in the Appalachian coal-mining town of Paintsville, KY. Gayle was the youngest of eight siblings, including singers Loretta Lynn and Peggy Sue. In 1970, Gayle released her first Top 40 country single, “I’ve Cried The Blues (Right Out of My Eyes),” on her sister Loretta Lynn’s record label, Decca Records. For the next three years, she released three more successful singles. In 1974, determined to step out of the shadow of her famous older sister, she signed United Records and released her first album, “Crystal Gayle.” Her self-titled album included Gayle’s first top-10 country hit, “Wrong Road Again”(1974). Two years later, Gayle scored her first No. 1 country hit with “I’ll Get Over You” (1976). Mickey Gilley takes the Entertainer of the year Award for Country music at the 12th Annual Academy of Country Music Awards. 

6). 2000 - Carlos Santana won eight awards at the 2000 Grammy Awards for his Supernatural album. Before Supernatural, the guitarist had not had a Top 10 album since 1981. Sting won two awards, one for the best pop album and another for the best male pop vocalist. Sir Elton John won the legend award and Phil Collins the best soundtrack award for Tarzan.

7). Born on this day in 1950 - George Thorogood, an American musician, singer, and songwriter. His high-energy boogie-blues sound became a staple of 1980s rock radio, with hits like his original songs 'Bad to the Bone' and 'I Drink Alone.

8). Born on this day in 1947 Lonnie Turner, American bassist with the Steve Miller Band who had the 1974 US No.1 & 1990 UK No.1 single 'The Joker', the 1976 hit 'Fly Like an Eagle', and the 1982 US No.1 hit 'Abracadabra'.

9). Born on this day in 1942 Paul Jones English singer, actor, harmonica player, radio personality, and television presenter Paul Jones, from the British group Manfred Mann who had the 1964 UK & US No.1 single 'Do Wah Diddy Diddy. Jones is also a member of The Blues Band.

Take care and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska

Good Tuesday afternoon fellow Pandorians, welcome to "This Day In The History Of Music".

1). On this day in 1928 Ol' Man River. Paul Whiteman and His Orchestra had a hit recording of the song in 1928, in a much faster tempo than Kern and Hammerstein intended, and featuring Bing Crosby on vocals and Bix Beiderbecke on cornet.

2). On this day in 1961 Elvis films and records for his fourth motion picture, "King Creole," often recognized as one of the best Elvis movies.

3). From February 28th thru March 2nd in 1967, The Beatles began recording ‘Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds’ during this session. First of all, however, a final overdub was added to ‘A Day In The Life. This was an extra piano part that was never used; the mono and stereo mixes had already been made, and its purpose remains unclear. The brief overdub appeared during the “He blew his mind out in a car” verse. ‘Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds’ was recorded in seven takes. Track one had George Harrison’s acoustic guitar and occasional piano from George Martin; track two had Paul McCartney on a Lowrey organ, including the distinctive introduction; track three had Ringo Starr’s drums, and the final track had John Lennon playing maracas and singing a guide vocal. George Martin’s piano had been abandoned by the time The Beatles came to record take seven, the best attempt. Track four was erased and replaced with a tamboura drone towards the end of the session. A reduction mix – known as taking eight – was made to free up more space for further overdubs. This was done with the tape machine running at 49 cycles per second rather than the usual 50, making it sound slightly faster upon playback. The session finished at 2.15 am on the morning of 2 March 1967. A composite of takes 6, 7, and vocal overdubs recorded during the next session was released in 1996 on the Anthology 2 album.

4). On this day in 1968, Elton John's first single "I've Been Loving You" was released on the Phillips label, with lyrics credited to Bernie Taupin (although John later admitted that he wrote the song by himself, giving Taupin credit as an effort to earn Taupin his first publishing royalties). The song didn't chart.

5). On this day in 1973, Pink Floyd released their eighth studio album The Dark Side Of The Moon in the US. It remained in the US charts for 741 discontinuous weeks from 1973 to 1988, longer than any other album in history. After moving to the Billboard Top Pop Catalog Chart, the album notched up a further 759 weeks and had reached a total of over 1,500 weeks on the combined charts by May 2006. With an estimated 45 million copies sold, it is Pink Floyd's most commercially successful album and one of the best-selling albums worldwide.

6). On this day in 1975, The Eagles went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Best Of My Love', the first of five US No.1's for the band. The song was included on their 1974 album On the Border and was released as the third single from the album. According to Don Henley, the lyrics were written while in a booth in Dan Tana's Restaurant close to the Troubadour in West Hollywood. The album Eagles Greatest Hits 71'-75' became the best-selling album of all time surpassing Elvis Presley, it fell to second all-time behind Michael Jackson's album Thriller, which was accomplished twice when Michael Jackson passed away in 2009.

7). On this day in 1994, The 36th Annual Grammy Awards were held. They recognized accomplishments by musicians from the previous year. Whitney Houston was the Big Winner winning 3 awards including Record of the Year and Album of the Year while opening the show with "I Will Always Love You".

8). On This Day in 1995, Bruce Springsteen's 'Streets of Philadelphia' won three Grammys for Song of the Year, Best Male Vocal Performance, and Best Rock Song. The track was featured in the film Philadelphia (1993), an early mainstream film dealing with HIV/AIDS that stars Tom Hanks and Denzel Washington.

9). On this day in 2019, Country Music Hall of Fame member Fred Foster died at age 87. He is credited as the producer behind all of Roy Orbison’s biggest hits including ‘Oh, Pretty Woman’, ‘Only the Lonely’, and ‘Crying’, and also produced major hits for Dolly Parton, Willie Nelson, Ray Stevens, and Kris Kristofferson.

10). Born on this day in 1904, Glenn Miller was an American big-band musician, arranger, composer, and bandleader Glenn Miller. He was the best-selling recording artist from 1939 to 1943, leading one of the best-known big bands. In just four years Glenn Miller scored 23 No.1 hits. Miller's recordings include 'In the Mood', 'Moonlight Serenade', 'Pennsylvania 6-5000', and 'Chattanooga Choo Choo'. On December 15, 1944, while traveling to entertain US troops in France during World War II, Miller's aircraft disappeared in bad weather over the English Channel.

11). Born on this day in 1927, Harry Belafonte, an American singer, had the 1957 UK No.1 & US No.12 single with ‘Mary’s Boy Child’ and a 1957 UK No.2 & US No.5 with ‘Banana Boat Song’. He also scored over 15 US Top 40 albums, including the 1956 Calypso.

12). Born on this day in 1942, Jerry Fisher, from the jazz-rock American music group Blood Sweat & Tears. They scored the 1969 US No.2 single 'Spinning Wheel', and the 1969 US No.12 single 'You've Made Me So Very Happy. They had a US No.1 with their second album Blood, Sweat & Tears in 1968.

13). Born on this day in 1944, Mike D'Abo, a singer, songwriter, with Manfred Mann had the 1968 UK No.1 & US No.10 single 'Mighty Quinn'. He wrote 'Handbags & Gladrags' covered by Rod Stewart and Stereophonics. Also wrote 'Build Me Up A Buttercup' a 1968 hit for The Foundations.

14). Born on this day in 1944, English singer and actor Roger Daltrey and founder of the rock band, The Who. They scored the 1965 UK No.2 single My Generation plus over 20 other the UK hit singles, 16 US Top 40 singles, and the rock opera albums Tommy and Quadrophenia. Daltrey had the 1973 solo UK No.5 single 'Giving It All Away. The Who is considered one of the most influential rock bands of the 20th century, selling over 100 million records worldwide. He and Pete Townshend received Kennedy Center Honors in 2008 and The George and Ira Gershwin Award for Lifetime Musical Achievement at UCLA in 2016.

15). Born on this day in 1987, Kesha Rose Sebert, (Kesha), 2009 US No.1 single with Flo Rida, ‘Right Round’, solo US No.1 single ‘Tik Tok’. Her third studio album Rainbow went to No.1 on the US chart in 2017.

16). Born on this day in 1994, Justin Bieber, Canadian singer. Bieber is the first artist to have seven songs from a debut album chart on the Billboard Hot 100. His 2009 debut single 'One Time' was a Top 30 hit in over 10 countries and in 2016, Bieber became the first artist to surpass 10 billion total video views on Vevo.

Take care and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska

UncleBud
Chart Topper

@MOHLovesAlaska Great post. You know I used to listen to Glenn Miller music with my maternal grandmother (who I credit with instilling a love of music in me). I also remember hearing "Ol' Man River".

Good Thursday morning, just adding a few facts to This Day In The History Of Music. Enjoy the read.

1). On this day in 1931 "The Star-Spangled Banner" was recognized for official use by the United States Navy in 1889, and by U.S. President Woodrow Wilson in 1916, and was made the national anthem by a congressional resolution on March 3, 1931 (46 Stat. 1508, codified at 36 U.S.C. § 301), which was signed by President Herbert Hoover.

2). On this day in 1931 “Minnie the Moocher,” the first of a long-running series of hits, with a debut recording in 1931. At the time of the recording, Calloway and his band had recently replaced the Duke Ellington Orchestra at the Cotton Club in Harlem. Even before he recorded “Minnie the Moocher". It also became the first Jazz piece to sell over one million copies. 

3). Symphony No. 2 premiered on March 3, 1944, by the Boston Symphony Orchestra. Serge Koussevitzky conducted the premiere performance at Symphony Hall in Boston, MA. Revisions Samuel Barber withdrew the symphony in 1964 and ordered the destruction of the score and parts. His explanation implied to some that his piece was war propaganda.

4). On this day in 1955, Elvis Presley performed on the radio version of the program 1954 and made his first television appearance on the television version of Louisiana Hayride.

5). John Smith Hurt (March 8, 1893 – November 2, 1966), better known as Mississippi John Hurt, was an American country blues singer and guitarist. Raised in Avalon, Mississippi, Hurt taught himself to play the guitar around the age of nine. On March 3rd, 1963, Tom Hoskins, a blues enthusiast, located Hurt and convinced him to relocate to Washington, D.C. where he was recorded by the Library of Congress in 1964. This helped further the American folk music revival, which had led to the rediscovery of many other bluesmen of Hurt's era. Hurt entered the university and coffeehouse concert circuit with other Delta blues musicians brought out of retirement. As well as playing concerts, he recorded several albums for Vanguard Records. Over the years John Hurt's songs have been recorded by Bob DylanJerry GarciaBeckDoc WatsonJohn McCutcheonTaj MahalBruce CockburnDavid JohansenBill MorrisseyGillian Welch, Guthrie Thomas, and Rory Block

6). On this day in 1973 Grammy Awards included, Roberta Flack who won Song of the Year and Record of the year with 'The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face' and Harry Nilsson won Best pop vocal performance for 'Without You.'

7). On this day in 1984 Nena started a three-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with '99 Red Balloons.' Originally sung in German, '99 Luftballons' was re-recorded in English as '99 Red Balloons'. The song was a No.2 hit in the US and the only UK hit for Nena making her a One Hit Wonder.

8). On this day in 2005, 50 Cent released The Massacre, the follow-up to his 6x platinum debut 'Get Rich or Die Tryin'. The album sold over 1 million copies in its first week, going 4x platinum in two months. The success of the album gave 50 Cent five top-five singles in 2005.

9). The Album Rockferry is the Grammy and Brit Award-winning, debut studio album by Welsh singer Duffy, first released on 3 March 2008 by Mercury Records in collaboration with Universal Records in the US and with Polydor Records in the UK. The album became a worldwide success, becoming the best-selling album in the UK in 2008, with 1.7 million copies sold. The album was the fourth best-selling album of 2008 worldwide. The album won a Grammy Award for Best Pop Vocal Album at the 51st Annual Grammy Awards, which were presented on 8 February 2009. Rockferry was ranked number 30th on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the Best Albums of 2008. The album also won Album Of The Year at the 2009 BRIT Awards. At the end of 2008, Q named the album the 6th best album of 2008 and Mojo named it the 31st best album of 2008. Rockferry also received the award for Mastercard British Album at the 2009 BRIT Awards, in a night that saw Duffy take home three awards. The album was the 4th biggest selling of 2008 in the world, according to the IFPI, as well as being the biggest selling of the UK. The album is considered an amazing commercial success, especially in the UK, where it was at number four 52 weeks after its release, spending most of them in the top ten albums, and a significant amount in the top three.

10). Born on this day in 1923, American bluegrass, folk, country, blues guitarist, songwriter Doc Watson. Blind from a young age he won seven Grammy awards as well as a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award. Watson's fingerstyle and flat-picking skills, as well as his knowledge of traditional American music, were highly regarded. He died on 29 May 2012 at age 89.

11). Born on this day in 1944, Jance Garfat, bassist, with American rock band Dr. Hook who had the 1970s hits 'The Cover of Rolling Stone', 'A Little Bit More', 'When You're in Love with a Beautiful Woman' and 'Sylvia's Mother'. (Sylvia's Mother is one of my top 10 all-time favorites).

12). Born on this day in 1947, Jennifer Warnes, singer, (1982 US No.1 & UK No.7 single 'Up Where We Belong' with Joe Cocker).

13). Born on this day in 1966, American actor, rapper, voice actor, and producer Tone- Loc, (Antony Smith), who had the 1989 UK No. 13 single, 'Funky Cold Medina' for which he was nominated for a Grammy Award.

14). Born on this day in 1997, Cuban-American singer, songwriter Camila Cabello who was a member of the girl group Fifth Harmony, formed on The X Factor (US) in 2012. Her debut studio album Camila (2018) debuted at No.1 on the Billboard chart, with its lead single 'Havana' featuring Young Thug topping the charts in several countries, including the UK and the US.

Have a great Thursday, take care, and stay safe.

MOHLovesAlaska

Good Friday afternoon, and welcome to This Day In The History Of Music.

1). On this day in 1830, I Capuleti e I Montecchi is an Italian opera in two acts by Vincenzo Bellini. The libretto by Felice Romani was a reworking of the story of Romeo and Juliet for an opera by Nicola Vaccai called Giulietta e Romeo and based on the play of the same name by Luigi Scevola written in 1818, thus an Italian source rather than taken directly from William Shakespeare. (According to Wikipedia this opera made its premiere on March 11th,1830.)  

2). On this day in 1963, "Surfin' U.S.A." is a song by the American rock band the Beach Boys credited to Chuck Berry and Brian Wilson. It is a rewritten version of Berry's "Sweet Little Sixteen" set to new lyrics penned by Wilson and an uncredited Mike Love. The song was released as a single on March 4, 1963, backed with "Shut Down". It was then placed as the opening track on their album of the same name.

3). On this day in 1967, The Rolling Stones went to No.1 on the singles chart with “Ruby Tuesday,” the group’s fourth No.1 single. “Let's Spend The Night Together” was the original A-side, but after radio stations banned the song, “Tuesday” became the A-side. 

4). On this day in 1974, ABBA  released 'Waterloo' the first single from their second album and the first single to be credited to the group performing under the name ABBA. It later became the winning entry for Sweden in the 1974 Eurovision Song Contest and a No.1 hit in several countries. It reached the US Top 10 and went on to sell nearly six million copies, making it one of the best-selling singles in history.

5). On this day in 1979, Randy Jackson of The Jackson Five was seriously injured in a car crash breaking both legs, and almost died in the emergency room when a nurse inadvertently injects him with methadone.

6). On this day in 1993, Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown became parents when Whitney gave birth to a baby girl, Bobbi Kristina Houston Brown. Bobbi went on to become a reality television and media personality, singer, and actress. Brown died in hospice care on July 26, 2015, at the age of 22 after being found face down in a bathtub in her Georgia home. She was later placed into a medically induced coma.

7). On this day in 1997, Raymond Edwards American bassist with The Silhouettes died. The doo wop/R&B group's single 'Get A Job' was a No.1 hit on the Billboard R&B singles chart and pop singles chart in 1958. The doo-wop revival group Sha Na Na derived their name from the song's lyrics. 'Get A Job' is included in the soundtracks of the film American Graffiti, Trading Places, and Stand By Me. The Silhouettes performed in the 1986 movie Joey.

8). On this day in 2001, The Village People singer Glenn Hughes died of lung cancer aged 50 in his Manhattan apartment in New York. He was the original "Biker" character in the disco group who scored the 1978 UK No.1 & US No.2 single Y.M.C.A.

9). On this day in 2009, Britney Spears kicked off a world tour in New Orleans, her first concert tour for five years. The 27-year-old who dressed as a ringmaster in the show, featured jugglers, acrobats, and martial arts dancers.

10). On this day in 2020, American singer, Barbara Martin died at age 76. She is best known as one of the original members of the Motown group The Supremes. Martin left the group in the spring of 1962. 

11). Born on this day in 1492, Francesco de Layolle, was an Italian composer and organist of the Renaissance. He was one of the first native Italian composers to write sacred music in the Franco-Flemish polyphonic style, combining it with the indigenous harmonic idioms of the Italian peninsula. He died in 1540 in Lyon France.

12). Born on this day in 1944, Robert Dwayne Womack was an American singer, songwriter, musician, and record producer. Starting in the early 1950s as the lead singer of his family musical group the Valentinos and as Sam Cooke's backing guitarist, Womack's career spanned more than 60 years and multiple styles, including R&B, soul, rock and roll, doo-wop, and gospel. 

13). Born on this day in 1950, Emilio Estefan Gómez is a Cuban American musician and producer. Estefan has won 19 Grammy Awards. He first came to prominence as a member of The Miami Sound Machine. He is the husband of singer Gloria Estefan, father of son Nayib Estefan and daughter Emily Estefan, and the uncle of Spanish-language television personality Lili Estefan.

14). Born on this day in 1963, Jason Curtis Newsted is an American musician who was the bassist of American heavy metal band Metallica from 1986 to 2001. Beginning his career with thrash metal bands Flotsam and Jetsam from 1981 to 1986, he successfully auditioned with Metallica following the death of Cliff Burton. Newsted performed on the albums...And Justice for All, Metallica, Load, and Reload, the most album appearances among Metallica's bassists.

15). Born on this day in 1971, Fergal Lawler, who was a member of the former Irish alternative rock band, The Cranberries. During his time with them, the band struggled from nothing to great success. He played drums for the Cranberries all through their days as a band. The Cranberries' top hits were Dreams, Zombie, and Linger

16). Born on this day in 1994, Ché Wolton Grant, known professionally as AJ Tracey, is a British rapper, singer, songwriter, and record producer. He is from Ladbroke Grove, West London. Tracey rose to popularity in 2016 and was listed by The Guardian in a list of "best new acts to catch at festivals in 2016". His top songs include Pasta, Buster Cannon, and Luke Cage

Have a great weekend, take care and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska

UncleBud
Chart Topper

@MOHLovesAlaska Thanks for the post. I remember and like "Surfin' U.S.A." 

Good Tuesday morning, and afternoon, and welcome to "This Day In The History Of Music". 

1). On this day in 1902, 1st performance of Jean Sibelius' 2nd Symphony, his most popular, was by the Helsinki Philharmonic Society.

2). On this day in 1962, The Beatles made their radio debut on the BBC's 'Teenagers Turn', (Here We Go), singing Roy Orbison's 'Dream Baby'. It was reportedly the first time The Beatles wore suits onstage.

3). On this day in 1966, "Golden Boy" closes at Majestic Theater NYC after 569 performances. In late May 1965, Tony Award Nominations were announced. Golden Boy appeared in four categories, Best Musical, Best Producer (Musical) – Hillard Elkins, Best Choreography – Donald McKayle, and Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Musical – Sammy Davis, Jr. The Awards ceremony was held at The Astor Hotel on 13th June, but Golden Boy lost in all four categories to the respective nominations from Fiddler On The Roof

4). On this day in 1973, American singer and musician Ron McKernan died aged 27 from liver failure brought on by alcohol poisoning. He was a founding member and keyboard player with the Grateful Dead and played in the group from 1965 to 1972. Unlike the other members of the Grateful Dead, McKernan avoided psychedelic drugs, preferring to drink alcohol (namely whiskey and flavored fortified wine). By 1971, his health had been affected by alcoholism and liver damage and doctors advised him to stop touring.

5). On this day in 1986, Diana Ross was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with the 'Chain Reaction.' Written and produced by The Bee Gees (who also provided the backing vocals for the single). The single became her first No.1 single in the UK since 'I'm Still Waiting' in 1971.

6). On this day in 2003, Singer and actor Adam Faith died. He had the 1959 UK No.1 single 'What Do You Want, plus over 20 other UK Top 40 singles, and acting roles include the TV series 'Love Hurts.'

7). On this day in 2016, AC/DC postponed the rest of their current US tour after singer Brian Johnson was warned he was going deaf. The band posted a statement on their website saying doctors had advised Johnson to stop touring immediately or risk total hearing loss.

8). On this day in 2016, English record producer, arranger, composer, conductor, audio engineer, and musician, Sir George Martin died aged 90. He worked as EMI records in-house record producer and became known as the so-called fifth Beatle. Martin produced all but one of The Beatles albums giving him 30 No.1 hit singles in the UK and 23 No.1 hit in the US. He also produced many other acts including Matt Monro, Cilla Black, Gerry & The Pacemakers, Billy J. Kramer & The Dakotas, The Fourmost, Jeff Beck, Ultravox, Kenny Rogers, UFO, Cheap Trick, Elton John, and Celine Dion. Martin received a Knighthood in 1996.

9). Born on this day in 1560, Carlo Gesualdo da Venosa was Prince of Venosa and Count of Conza. As a composer, he is known for writing madrigals and pieces of sacred music that use a chromatic language not heard again until the late 19th century. He is also known for killing his first wife and her aristocratic lover upon finding them in flagrante delicto. The responses to this and to his music have often gone hand in hand. 

10). Born on this day in 1714, Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach, also formerly spelled Karl Philipp Emmanuel Bach, and commonly abbreviated C. P. E. Bach, was a German Classical period musician and composer, the fifth child and second surviving son of Johann Sebastian Bach and Maria Barbara Bach.

11). Born on this day in 1922, Cyd Charisse was an American actress and dancer. After recovering from polio as a child and studying ballet, Charisse entered films in the 1940s. Her roles usually featured her abilities as a dancer, and she was paired with Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly; her films include Singin' in the Rain, The Band Wagon, Brigadoon with Gene Kelly and Van Johnson, and Silk Stockings. She stopped dancing in films in the late 1950s but continued acting in film and television, and in 1991 made her Broadway debut. She died in 2008. 

12). Born on this day in 1938, Lewis “Lew” Calvin DeWitt Jr. was an American country music singer, guitarist, and composer. He was a founding member of The Statler Brothers and the group's original tenor.

13). Born on this day in 1945, George Michael Dolenz Jr. was an American actor, musician, TV producer, and businessman. He is best known as the vocalist and drummer for the 1960s pop-rock band the Monkees and a co-star of the TV series The Monkees. Upon the death of Michael Nesmith in 2021, Dolenz became the only surviving member of the band.

14). Born on this day in 1946, Randall Herman Meisner is a retired American musician, singer, songwriter, and founding member of the Eagles. Throughout his professional musical career, Meisner's main role was that of bassist and backing high-harmony vocalist as both a group member and session musician. He co-wrote the Eagles hit song "Take It to the Limit", which he also sang. 

Have a great day, take care and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska

UncleBud
Chart Topper

@MOHLovesAlaska When I was still a kid I used to watch The Monkees tv show.

Good Wednesday morning, welcome to This Day In The History Of Music. Enjoy the read.

1). On this day in 1842, Nabucco (Italian pronunciation: [naˈbukko]; short for Nabucodonosor [naˌbukoˈdɔːnozor]~[naˌbukodonoˈzɔr], English Nebuchadnezzar) is an Italian-language opera in four acts composed in 1841 by Giuseppe Verdi to an Italian libretto by Temistocle Solera, but it did not appear until March 9th, 1842. 

2). On this day in 1868, Hamlet is a grand opera in five acts of 1868 by the French composer Ambroise Thomas, with a libretto by Michel Carré and Jules Barbier based on a French adaptation by Alexandre Dumas, père, and Paul Meurice of William Shakespeare's play Hamlet.

3). On this day in1959, "Charlie Brown" is a popular Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller song that was a top-ten hit for The Coasters in the spring of 1959. It went to No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart, while "Venus" by Frankie Avalon was at No. 1. It was the first of three top-ten hits for the Coasters that year. It is best known for the phrase, "Why's everybody always pickin' on me". 

4). On this day in 1961, The Supremes released two singles, "I Want A Guy" and "Never Again". The Supremes were an American female singing group and a premier act of Motown Records during the 1960s. Founded as The Primettes in Detroit, Michigan, in 1959, the Supremes were the most commercially successful of Motown's acts and the most successful American vocal group, with 12 number-one singles on the Billboard Hot 100. Most of these hits were written and produced by Motown's main songwriting and production team, Holland–Dozier–Holland. At their peak in the mid-1960s, the Supremes rivaled the Beatles in worldwide popularity, and it is said that their breakthrough made it possible for future African American R&B and soul musicians to find mainstream success. Billboard ranked The Supremes as the 16th greatest Hot 100 artist of all time.

5). On this day in 1966, The Beach Boys started recording the Brian Wilson and Tony Asher penned song 'God Only Knows', which when released in May 1966 was the eighth track on the group's album Pet Sounds. It became a UK No.2 single in 1966 and the B-side of 'Wouldn't It Be Nice' when released in the US.

6). On this day in 1968, Bob Dylan started a ten-week run at No.1 on the UK chart with John Wesley Harding. The album marked Dylan's return to acoustic music after three albums of electric rock music and was exceptionally well received by critics, also reaching No.2 on the US charts. The commercial performance was considered remarkable, considering that Dylan had made Columbia Records release the album without much publicity.

7). On this day in 1971, Led Zeppelin appeared at Leeds University, Leeds, England, during their 'Back To The Clubs' tour. This was the first tour that saw Zeppelin performing 'Stairway To Heaven', 'Black Dog' and 'Going To California.'

8). On this day in 1975, Actor Telly Savalas was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with his version of the David Gates (from Bread) song 'If'. Savalas was currently high in the TV ratings playing the policeman Kojak. He also co-starred in the WWII movie "Kelly's Heros". 

9). On this day in 1981, Former Led Zeppelin singer Robert Plant played a secret gig at Keele University, England with his new band The Honey Drippers.

10). On this day in 1985, REO Speedwagon started a three-week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Can't Fight This Feeling', which made No.16 in the UK.

11). On this day in 1987, U2 released their fifth studio album The Joshua Tree which features the singles 'Where The Streets Have No Name', and 'I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For'. The album became the fastest-selling in UK history and the first album to sell over a million CDs, spending a total of 201 weeks on the UK chart. It topped the charts in over 20 countries and became U2's first US No.1 album.

12). On this day in 1997, Notorious BIG was gunned down and killed as he left a party at the Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles. Born Christopher Wallace the rapper was pronounced dead on arrival at Cedars Sinai Hospital. He was 24 years old.

13). On this day in 2005, 53-year-old Danny Joe Brown, the original lead singer of Molly Hatchet, died from renal failure due to complications from diabetes. Brown was the frontman for the band's self-titled album in 1978, which went Platinum.

14). On this day in 2007, Brad Delp lead singer of US rock band Boston committed suicide by carbon monoxide poisoning at his home in the New Hampshire town of Atkinson. He died from the smoke of two charcoal grills he’d lit inside his sealed master bathroom. He was found by police lying on a pillow on his bathroom floor with a note paper-clipped to his shirt which read: "Mr. Brad Delp. I am a lonely soul." Boston had the 1977 UK No.22 single 'More Than A Feeling' and the 1986 US No.1 single 'Amanda.'

15). On this day in 2020, American record producer Keith Olsen died at age 74. He worked with many artists including Rick SpringfieldFleetwood MacOzzy Osbourne, the Grateful Dead, Whitesnake, Pat Benatar, HeartSantana, Foreigner, Scorpions, Magnum, Journey, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Joe Walsh, and Eric Burdon & the Animals.

16). Born on this day in 1910, Samuel Osmond Barber II was an American composer, pianist, conductor, baritone, and music educator, and one of the most celebrated composers of the 20th century. The music critic Donal Henahan stated, "Probably no other American composer has ever enjoyed such early, such persistent and such long-lasting acclaim. Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings is one of the most recognizable pieces of classical music in the world. It's become America's semi-official music for mourning, used at Franklin Delano Roosevelt's funeral and after JFK's assassination. But somewhere along the way, it went from an anthem of sadness to one of joy. It was also the movie soundtrack for Platoon, which is considered to be the best Vietnam War movie ever made. 

17). Born on this day in 1930, Randolph Denard Ornette Coleman was an American jazz saxophonist, violinist, trumpeter, and composer known as a principal founder of the free jazz genre, a term derived from his 1960 album Free Jazz: Ornette Coleman won the Pulitzer Prize for music yesterday for his 2006 album, "Sound Grammar," the first jazz work to be bestowed with the honor. The alto saxophonist and visionary who led the free jazz movement in the 1950s and 1960s won the Pulitzer at age 77 for his first live recording in 20 years.

18). Born on this day in 1948, Chris Thompson, singer with Manfred Mann's Earth Band, had the 1976 US No.1 & UK No.6 single 'Blinded By The Light'.

19). Born on this day in 1980, American Rapper Chingy [Howard Bailey, Jr.] Chingy began writing lyrics when he was 9 and was recording raps at 10. He was originally known as H Thugz and was in the St. Louis group Without Warning on 49 Productions with M.G.D. & Mysphit. They recorded "What's Poppin Off" together, which became a local hit. H Thugz and Augustin also recorded a music video for the song. H Thugz later chose the alias Chingy, a slang term for money.

20). Born on this day in 1987, Shad Gregory Moss better known by his stage name Bow Wow (formerly Lil' Bow Wow), is an American rapper and actor. His career began upon being discovered by rapper Snoop Dogg in the late 1990s, eventually being brought to record producer Jermaine Dupri and signed to So So Def Recordings. As Lil' Bow Wow, he released his first album at age 13, Beware of Dog, in 2000, which was followed by Doggy Bag a year later. In 2003, Bow Wow released his third album Unleashed, which was the first album released after dropping the "Lil'" from his stage name, and the first not to be released by So So Def. His next album, Wanted (2005), spawned his two highest-charting singles, "Let Me Hold You" (featuring Omarion) and "Like You" (featuring Ciara). In September 2015, Bow Wow signed a management deal with Puff Daddy's Bad Boy Records.

21). Born on this day in 1993, Suga (Min Yoon-gi), South Korean singer, songwriter, with the boy band BTS. They became the first Korean act to top the US Billboard chart with their studio album Love Yourself: Tear (2018). BTS also became the fastest group since The Beatles to earn four US No.1 albums, doing so in less than two years. They became the first Asian act to chart a No.1 song in the US since Kyu Sakamoto with ‘Sukiyaki’ (1963).

Have a great Wednesday, take care, and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska

UncleBud
Chart Topper

Thanks for the post @MOHLovesAlaska 

Good Thursday morning, welcome to another This Day In The History Of Music, enjoy the read. 

1). On this day in 1958, Big Records released 'Our Song' by a teenage duo from Queens, New York, Tom, and JerryPaul Simon and Art Garfunkel grew up in the 1940s and 1950s in Queens, New York, just three blocks away from one another, and attended the same schools. In the mid/late 50s, they began performing for the first time as a duo at school dances. At age 15, Simon & Garfunkel had a recording contract with the independent label Big Records. Using the name Tom & Jerry (Garfunkel naming himself Tom Graph, a reference to his interest in mathematics, and Simon naming himself Jerry Landis, using the surname of a girl he had dated). In 1957 the single "Hey Schoolgirl" was released, with the B-side "Dancin' Wild". Alan Freed played "Hey Schoolgirl" on his radio show where it became a nightly staple. It also attracted regular rotation nationwide, sold over 100,000 copies, and reached number 49 in Billboard. Their last recording with Big Records was a cover of Jan and Dean's, "Baby Talk", but the company went bankrupt soon after its release. It failed to sell and Tom & Jerry was dissolved. Their debut studio album as Simon and Garfunkel, "Wednesday Morning, 3 A.M." was released in 1964.

2). On this day in 1962, Bruce Channel started a three-week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Hey! Baby'.  An irresistible mid-tempo shuffle from the first few bars of homespun harmonica (played by Delbert McClinton), it was a seemingly effortless blend of rock, blues, country, and Cajun beats, featuring Channel's lazy, drawling vocals and an instantly catchy tune. On one of their shows, they were supported by a then-unknown Liverpool group, The Beatles, who had yet to cut their first record. John Lennon was smitten by McClinton's style of playing, and picked up some pointers that he put to use on the Beatles' very first single, "Love Me Do"; in fact, McClinton's influence can be easily detected in Lennon's harmonica playing on many early Beatles tracks from 1962 and 1963.

3). On this day in 1964, Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel recorded 'The Sounds Of Silence' as an acoustic duo. It wasn't until record company producers added electric guitar, bass, and drums, without the knowledge of Paul and Art, that the song would become a hit in late 1965. The album "Wednesday Morning 3 AM which was billed as "exciting new sounds in the folk tradition," sold about 2000 copies. When the album tanked, Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel split up. What they didn't know was that their record company had a plan. Trying to take advantage of the folk-rock movement, Columbia Records had producer Tom Wilson add electric instruments to the acoustic track, and released it as a single. Simon and Garfunkel had no idea their acoustic song had been overdubbed with electric instruments, but it became a huge hit and got them back together. Had Wilson not reworked the song without their knowledge, the duo probably would have gone their separate ways. When the song hit #1 in the States, Simon was in England and Garfunkel was at college. Paul Simon endorsed Disturbed's version after the band delivered a performance of his tune during their March 28, 2016 appearance on Conan. Simon sent David Draiman an email shortly after, saying, "Really powerful performance on Conan the other day. First time I'd seen you do it live. Nice. Thanks." Released as a single, Disturbed's cover became their highest-charting song on the Hot 100, peaking at #42. Draiman told The Wall Street Journal that he "couldn't be more flabbergasted" by the success of their cover. He added: "[It's a song] that my parents can play for their friends with pride without having to warn them not to be frightened ahead of time. I have fans saying, 'Finally, I and my mom can actually agree on music for once!'"

4). On this day in 1965, I've Got a Tiger by the Tail is an album by Buck Owens and His Buckaroos, released in 1965. It reached Number one on the Billboard Country charts and Number 43 on the Pop Albums charts. It was re-released on CD in 1995 by Sundazed Records with two bonus tracks, both live performances recorded in Bakersfield, CA at the Civic Auditorium in October 1963. The album was included in Robert Dimery's 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die.

5). ( Aretha FranklinI Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You is the tenth studio album by American singer Aretha Franklin released on March 10, 1967, by Atlantic Records. It was Franklin's first release under her contract with the label, following her departure from Columbia Records after nine unsuccessful Jazz standard albums, and marked a commercial breakthrough for her, becoming her first top 10 album in the United States, reaching number 2 on the Billboard 200.

6). On this day in 1981 Kim Carnes, "Bette Davis Eyes" is a song written and composed by Donna Weiss and Jackie DeShannon in 1974. It was originally recorded by DeShannon in that year for her album New Arrangement, but it was made popular by American singer Kim Carnes in March of 1981 when it spent nine non-consecutive weeks on top of the U.S. Billboard Hot 100. The song was #1 for five weeks but was interrupted for one week by "Stars on 45" before it returned to the top spot for another four weeks and became Billboard's biggest hit of the year. The song also became #1 in 21 other different countries and #10 in the U.K. 

7). It was 34 years ago today (March 10th, 1988) that Andy Gibb died. Andy, who was the younger brother of the Bee Gees — Barry, Robin, and Maurice Gibb — died just five days after his 30th birthday from an inflammatory heart virus exacerbated by years of substance abuse. Andy, who was almost a decade younger than his brothers, had desperately wanted to become part of the group, but because of his age, he missed out on the Bee Gees’ first era of success in the late-’60s. By the time he was 19, he had emigrated from Australia to be with his brothers, who helped him sign with Robert Stigwood, who managed the group and owned their record label, RSO. Success for Andy came fast, with his brother Barry’s songwriting and producing help. He racked up three Number One hit — “I Just Want To Be Your Everything” in 1977, and “(Love Is) Thicker Than Water” and “Shadow Dancing” in 1978 — all before his 21st birthday. (Source: Remembering Andy Gibb - 106.1 The River - Classic Hits (1061theriver.com)

8). On this day in 1996, Alanis Morissette's Jagged Little Pill gained the album of the year award, it is the third studio album by Canadian singer Alanis Morissette, released on June 13, 1995, through Maverick. It was her first album to be released worldwide. Jagged Little Pill was a worldwide commercial success, topping the charts in thirteen countries. With sales of over 33 million copies worldwide, it is one of the best-selling albums of all time and made Morissette the first Canadian to achieve double diamond sales. Jagged Little Pill was nominated for nine Grammy Awards, winning five, including Album of the Year, making the then 21-year-old Morissette the youngest artist to win the top honor up to that point. Rolling Stone Magazine ranked Jagged Little Pill at #69 on its 2020 list of "The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time". 

9). On this day in 2017, American singer-songwriter, actress, and producer Joni Sledge died from natural causes at age 60. She was best known as a founding member of Sister Sledge, who was best known for their hits 'We Are Family' and 'He's The Greatest Dancer.

10). On this day in 2019, American guitarist, singer, and songwriter Asa Brebner died at age 65. He was a member of The Modern Lovers led by Jonathan Richman. They are the best known for their 1976 hit ‘Roadrunner’ which Rolling Stone ranked Number 274 on their list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.

11). Born on this day in 1933, Walter Ralph Emery was an American country music disc jockey, radio, and television host from Nashville, Tennessee. Emery promoted numerous stars on his radio and TV shows and was called the **ahem** Clark of country music He gained national fame hosting the syndicated television music series, Pop! Goes the Country, from 1974 to 1980, and the nightly Nashville Network television program, Nashville Now from 1983 - 1993. From 2007 to 2015, Emery hosted the weekly program, Ralph Emery Live. Ralph Emery died on January 15th, 2022. 

12). Born on this day in 1962, Gary Clark, guitarist from Scottish pop group Danny Wilson who had the 1988 UK No.3 single 'Mary's Prayer'. Clark became a successful songwriter for other music artists including Natalie Imbruglia, Liz Phair, k.d. lang, and former Spice Girls Melanie C and Emma Bunton.

13). Born on this day in 1971, Timothy Z. Mosley (Timbaland), R&B producer and rapper. With partner Magoo, he is a member of hip-hop duo Timbaland & Magoo. Produced hits for Nelly Furtado, Missy Elliott, Aaliyah, Jay-Z, Justin Timberlake, Utada Hikaru, Ludacris, and The Pussycat Dolls.

14). Born on this day in 1973, John Charles LeCompt, guitarist, with American rock band Evanescence who had the 2003 UK No.1 & US No.5 single ‘Bring Me To Life’, and the 2003 UK No.1 & US No.3 album Fallen.

15). Born on this day in 1983, Carrie Underwood, American pop country music singer, winner of the fourth season of American Idol. Her debut album 'Some Hearts' is the fastest-selling debut country album in Nielsen SoundScan history. In 2010, when Carrie garnered her second win as ACM Entertainer of the Year, she became the first female artist to win the award twice, and only the 7th female to take the award in the 40-year history of the ACM category, among Loretta LynnDolly Parton, Barbara Mandrell, Reba McEntire, Shania Twain, and the Dixie Chicks.

16). Born on this day in 1992, Emily Jordan Osment is an American actress, singer, and songwriter. Born and raised in Los Angeles, she began her career as a child actress, appearing in numerous television shows and films, before co-starring Gerti Giggles in Spy Kids 2: The Island of Lost Dreams and Spy Kids 3-D: Game Over. She played Lilly Truscott in the Disney Channel television series Hannah Montana and appeared in the theatrical film based on the series, Hannah Montana: The Movie.

MOHLovesAlaska

UncleBud
Chart Topper

@MOHLovesAlaska Interesting post. Happy Birthday Carrie Underwood!

Good Monday morning. and welcome to This Day In The History Of Music. Enjoy the read.

1). On this day in 1847Macbeth is an opera in four acts by Giuseppe Verdi, with an Italian libretto by Francesco Maria Piave and additions by Andrea Maffei, based on William Shakespeare's play of the same name. Written for the Teatro della Pergola in Florence, it was Verdi's tenth opera. Macbeth was the first Shakespeare play that Verdi adapted for the operatic stage. Almost twenty years later, Macbeth was revised and expanded in a French version and given in Paris on 19 April 1865.

2). On this day in 1971The Rolling Stones chose to abandon their home country of England to avoid the amount of taxes the British government expected the band to pay. The Stones would have to leave by 5 April, or the government would have seized their assets.

3). On this day in 1972, Muddy Waters won his first Grammy Award for his 1971 album They Call Me Muddy Waters. After his 30-year run with Chess Records, he went his separate way in 1975, suing the record company for royalties after his final release with them: Muddy Waters Woodstock Album.

4). On this day in 1972, Soul singer, Linda Jones, died aged 26 in New York after collapsing into a diabetic coma following a performance at Harlem's Apollo Theatre in New York. Jones scored the 1967 US No.21 single 'Hypnotized'.

5). On this day in 1982, Metallica made its live debut when they appeared at Radio City in Anaheim, California. Metallica formed in Los Angeles, California, in late 1981 when Danish-born drummer Lars Ulrich placed an advertisement in a Los Angeles newspaper, The Recycler, which read, "Drummer looking for other metal musicians to jam with Tygers of Pan Tang, Diamond Head, and Iron Maiden." Guitarists James Hetfield and Hugh Tanner of Leather Charm answered the advertisement.

6). On this day in 1983Jon Bon Jovi, Richie Sambora, and Alec John Such formed Bon Jovi. Their fourth album, New Jersey, released in 1988, is notable for producing five Billboard Hot 100 Top 10 singles, the most top-ten hits to date from a hard rock album.

7). The Dave Matthews Band first show took place at Trax in Charlottesville, Virginia on March 14, 1991, as a benefit for Middle East Children’s Alliance. The lineup at the time consisted of guitarist Dave Matthews, drummer Carter Beauford, bassist Stefan Lessard, and saxophonist LeRoi Moore. But as with most bands, DMB’s origins go back further than their first show.

8). On this day in 1991, American songwriter and Blues singer Doc Pomus died from lung cancer aged 65. He is best known as the lyricist of many rock and roll hits written with Mort Shuman including, ‘A Teenager in Love’, ‘Save The Last Dance For Me’, ‘Sweets For My Sweet’, ‘Can't Get Used to Losing You’, ‘Little Sister’, ‘Suspicion’, ‘Surrender’ and ‘Viva Las Vegas.’

9). On this day in 1991R.E.M. played the first of two nights at London's Borderline Club under the name of 'Bingo Hand Job.' The group was in the UK promoting their seventh studio album Out of Time and their current single ‘Losing My Religion.

10). On this day in 1992Farm Aid V was held in Irving, Texas; performers include Willie NelsonJohn Mellencamp, Neil Young, Arlo Guthrie, Asleep At The Wheel, Kentucky Headhunters, Texas Tornadoes, Bonnie Raitt, Tracy Chapman, Paul Simon, and Mary Chapin Carpenter.

11). On this day in 2006, U2 topped Rolling Stone magazine's annual list of the year's biggest money earners from 2005 with $154.2m. (£78m), The Rolling Stones were listed second with $92.5m (£47m) and The Eagles third with 63.2m. (£32.m). Paul McCartney was in fourth place with $56m (£28m) and  Elton John in fifth with $48.9m. (£24.8m).

12). On this day in 2020, American singer and songwriter Phil Phillips died at age 94. He is best known for his 1959 song, "Sea of Love" which peaked at No.2 on the US Billboard chart and sold over one million copies. The song was featured prominently in the 1989 film Sea of Love starring Al Pacino. It was the only top-40 chart song for Phillips, who never recorded another hit.

13). On this day in 2021, The 63rd Annual Grammy Awards. Beyoncé received the most nominations with nine, followed by Roddy Ricch and Taylor Swift with six each. Beyoncé received the most awards, with four, surpassing Alison Krauss as the most-awarded woman in the show's history, with 28 awards overall. Swift won Album of the Year for Folklore, making her the first woman to win the award three times and the first artist to do so since Paul Simon in 1988. Billie Eilish won Record of the Year for "Everything I Wanted", becoming the second solo artist, after Roberta Flack in 1974, to win two years consecutively, and the third overall since U2 in 2002H.E.R. won Song of the Year for "I Can't Breathe" and Megan Thee Stallion won Best New Artist, becoming the second female rapper to win since Lauryn Hill in 1999. The ceremony was originally scheduled for January 31, 2021; however, on January 5, 2021, the Recording Academy postponed the ceremony to March 14, 2021, due to a spike in COVID-19 cases in Los Angeles as well as health and safety concerns therein

14). Born on this day 1727Johann Gottlieb Goldberg, Goldberg was born in Danzig (Gdańsk), Royal Prussia (a part of the Crown of Poland), and was baptized there on March 14, 1727, at St. Mary's Church, Gdańsk. Little is known for certain about his childhood, other than that he was an exceptionally talented performer, attracting the attention of Hermann Karl von Keyserling, the Russian ambassador to Saxony, around 1737. Goldberg was reported to have studied with both J. S. Bach and Wilhelm Friedemann Bach, Bach's eldest son, though the periods of study are not known; Goldberg may have studied with J. S. Bach as early as 1737, shortly after Keyserling recognized his talent in Danzig, and Goldberg may have studied with W. F. Bach at any time before 1745 since W. F. Bach was in Dresden throughout Keyserling's tenure there as ambassador. The most famous part of Goldberg's life is the portion, probably in 1741, recounted by J. S. Bach's biographer Johann Nikolaus Forkel, which involved the composition of a set of variations by Bach to help the insomniac Count Keyserling pass sleepless nights. Keyserling's favorite chamber harpsichordist was the 14-year-old Goldberg, whose technical accomplishments were so spectacular that they made it possible for him to perform a work of such extraordinary difficulty. According to Forkel, writing in 1802, sixty years after the event:

15). Born on this day in 1922, Les Baxter, American musician and composer Les Baxter who had the 1956 US No.1 single 'Poor People Of Paris'. In the 1960s, he formed The Balladeers, a conservative folk group in suits that at one time featured a young David Crosby. He died on 15 January 1996.

16). Born on this day in 1933, Quincy Jones, American record producer, composer, and musician Quincy Jones. He is known for his 1962 tune 'Soul Bossa Nova' and later scored the 1978 US No.1 single 'Stuff Like That'. Jones has a record 79 Grammy Award nominations and was the producer of three albums by Michael Jackson, Off The Wall, Bad, and Thriller which has now sold more than 65 million copies worldwide.

17). Born on this day in 1945, American saxophonist Walter Parazaider with Chicago, who had the 1976 UK & US No.1 single 'If You Leave Me Now. The band was formed in 1967 in Chicago, Illinois as The Chicago Transit Authority before shortening the name in 1970. Chicago has had five consecutive No.1 albums on the Billboard chart and 20 top-ten singles on the Billboard Hot 100.

18). Born on this day in 1989, Colby O'Donis Colón is an American singer. He is perhaps best known as the featured artist in the Lady Gaga single "Just Dance", which spent more than eleven months on the Billboard Hot 100. He is also well known for his lead single on his debut album Colby O titled "What You Got" featuring Akon, which peaked at number 14 on the Hot 100 and being featured on Akon's song "Beautiful", which peaked at number 19 on the Hot 100. (Side note: On This Day & Wikipedia agree with his DOB to be in 1989, This Day has his DOB in 1988). 

Have a great Monday, take care, and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska

Good Thursday morning, welcome to This Day In The History Of Music. Enjoy the read. 

1). On this day in 1900American modern dancer Isadora Duncan gives her first European performance in London, EnglandAngela Isadora Duncan was an American dancer who performed to great acclaim throughout Europe and the US. Born and raised in California, she lived and danced in Western Europe, the US, and the Soviet Union from the age of 22 until her death at age 50 when her scarf became entangled in the wheel and axle of the car in which she was traveling in Nice, France.

2). On this day in 1957, Elvis Presley bought the Graceland mansion from Mrs. Ruth Brown-Moore for $102,500. (£60,295). The 23 room, 10,000 square foot home, on 13.8 acres of land, would be expanded to 17,552 square feet of living space before Elvis moved in a few weeks later. The original building had at one time been a place of worship, used by the Graceland Christian Church, and was named after the builder's daughter, Grace Toof.

3). On this day in 1967, The Jimi Hendrix Experience released 'Purple Haze' in the UK, (the US release was June 19). Hendrix had read Night of Light, a 1966 novel by Philip José Farmer. In the story set on a distant planet, sunspots produced a "purplish haze" which had a disorienting effect on the inhabitants. It is thought that Hendrix took this as the idea for the song's lyrics.

4). On this day in 1967Sheila Bromberg's claim to fame, as she puts it, was that she was the first female musician to be on a recording with The Beatles, which was on “Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band”. Sheila played on the track “She’s Leaving Home”.

5). On this day in 1973"The Cover of 'Rolling Stone'" is a song written by Shel Silverstein and first recorded by American rock group Dr. Hook & the Medicine Show. Produced by Ron Haffkine and released in 1972, it was the band's third single and peaked at No 6 on the U.S. pop chart for two weeks on March 17–24, 1973.

6). On this day, I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor was a UK number 1 hit on Saturday, March 17, 1979, spending 4 weeks at the top of the UK charts. This won the 1979 Grammy for Best Disco Recording, beating out "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough," "Bad Girls," "Boogie Wonderland" and "Da Ya Think I'm Sexy?"

7). On this day in 1979The Bee Gees went to No.1 on the UK album chart with their fifteenth studio album release Spirits Having Flown, the group's first album after their collaboration on Saturday Night Fever soundtrack. The album's first three tracks were released as singles and all reached No.1 in the US, giving The Bee Gees an unbroken run of six US chart-toppers and tying a record set by The Beatles.

😎. On this day in 1984, Van Halen's 'Jump' peaked at No.1 in the US. Over the years David Lee Roth has given various accounts of the meaning behind the lyrics, but most often says they are about a TV news story he saw where a man was about to kill himself by jumping off a building. It is the only single the group released in their career to reach #1 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100

9). On this day in 1997, Elvis Presley Enterprises of Memphis, Tennessee, lost its Court of Appeal battle to stop London trader Sid Shaw using the name of 'The King' on his souvenirs. The legal tussle with Mr. Shaw, who ran a memorabilia shop called 'Elvisly Yours', had been going on for over 17 years. Speaking after the ruling, Mr. Shaw said: 'I'm delighted. I've proved that Elvis belongs to all of us - Elvis is part of our history, part of our culture.

10). Tragically on this day in 2008, Ola Brunkert, the former drummer with the Swedish group ABBA, was found dead with his throat cut at his home in Majorca, Spain. Brunkert died after he hit his head against a glass door in the dining room at his home. He had managed to wrap a towel around his neck and leave the house to seek help, but collapsed and was found dead in his garden. The 62-year old musician had played on every ABBA album the group released and had toured with the group.

11). On this day in 2013, John Lennon and George Harrison were honored with a blue plaque at the site of the former Apple Boutique in a ceremony in London held at 94 Baker Street. The new plaque reads "John Lennon, M.B.E., 1940-1980, and George Harrison, M.B.E., 1943-2001, worked here."

12). On this day in 2014, "Chandelier" is a song by Australian singer and songwriter Sia, from her sixth studio album, 1000 Forms of Fear (2014). Written by Sia and Jesse Shatkin and produced by Shatkin and Greg Kurstin, the song was released on 17 March 2014 as the lead single from the album.

13). Born on this day in 1655, Élisabeth Claude Jacquet de La Guerre was a French musician, harpsichordist, and composer.

14). Born on this day in 1664Georg Österreich was a German Baroque composer and collector. He is regarded as the founder of the so-called Bokemeyer collection which is now housed in the Staatsbibliothek in Berlin and is considered one of the most important music collections of the late 17th and early 18th centuries.

15). Born on this day in 1892Sayed Darwish was an Egyptian singer and composer who was considered the father of Egyptian popular music and one of Egypt's greatest musicians and seen by some as its single greatest composer.

16). Born on this day in 1909Edward Lee Watson{Lovie Lee}was an American electric blues pianist and singer. He is best known for his work accompanying Muddy Waters. He also recorded a solo album, in 1992. He was the "adoptive stepfather" of the bluesman Carey Bell and thus the "grandfather" of Lurrie Bell.

17). Born on this day in 1919Nathaniel Adams Coles, known professionally as Nat King Cole, was an American singer, jazz pianist, and actor. He recorded over 100 songs that became hits on the pop charts. His trio was the model for small jazz ensembles that followed. Cole also acted in films and on television and performed on Broadway. He was the first African-American man to host an American television series. He was the father of singer-songwriter Natalie Cole.

18). Born on this day in 1937Patrick Henry Wade, known professionally as Adam Wade, is an American singer, musician, and actor. Wade is perhaps most known for his stint as the host of the CBS game show Musical Chairs, which noted him as the first Black game show host.

19), Born on this day in 1938Zola Taylor from American vocal group The Platters who had the 1959 UK & US No.1 single 'Smoke Gets In Your Eyes. She was the original female member of The Platters from 1954 to 1962. The Platters were one of the first African-American groups to be accepted as a major chart group and were, for a period of time, the most successful vocal group in the world. She died on 30 April 2007 at age 69.

MOHLovesAlaska

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks so much for sharing, @MOHLovesAlaska. Happy St. Patrick's Day! ☘️

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

@AlyssaPandora thank you, and I forgot today is St. Patrick's Day. Happy St. Patrick's Day to you as well my friend. Have a great evening, and thank you once again for your support for this post. Take care and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska

Good Wednesday afternoon to all who read and enjoy this post (includes my self). I will be back posting again soon, with the weather getting warmer my work gets busier. So please be patient. 

Take care and stay safe.

MOHLovesAlaska

Good Friday afternoon, I know it has been a while since posting here on This Day In The History Of Music, and for that, I do apologize, so without further ado welcome to This Day In The History Of Music, and enjoy the read. 

1). On this day in 1767, Apollo et Hyacinthus, K. 38, is an opera written in 1767 by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, who was 11 years old at the time. It is Mozart's first true opera. It is in three acts. As is suggested by the name, the opera is based upon the Greek myth of Hyacinth and Apollo as told by Roman poet Ovid in his Metamorphoses. Interpreting this work, Rufinus Widl wrote the libretto in Latin.

2). On this day in 1848, "Maamme" is the unofficial national anthem of Finland is first performed. The music was composed by the German immigrant Fredrik Pacius, with original Swedish words by Johan Ludvig Runeberg, and this music was performed for the first time on 13 May 1848. Originally, it was written for the 500th anniversary of Porvoo, and for that occasion, it was Runeberg himself who wrote the music. The poem was influenced by the "Szózat" of Mihály Vörösmarty, both in style and content.

3). On this day in 1965, "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" is a song recorded by the English rock band the Rolling Stones. A product of Mick Jagger and Keith Richards' songwriting partnership, it features a guitar riff by Richards that opens and drives the song. The riff by Richards is widely considered one of the greatest hooks of all time. The song lyrics refer to sexual frustration and commercialism. The song was first released as a single in the United States in June 1965 and was also featured on the American version of the Rolling Stones' fourth studio album, Out of Our Heads, released that July. "Satisfaction" was a hit, giving the Stones their first number one in the US. In the UK, the song initially was played only on pirate radio stations, because its lyrics were considered too sexually suggestive. It later became the Rolling Stones' fourth number one in the United Kingdom. It is one of the world's most popular songs and was No. 31 on Rolling Stone magazine's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time list in 2021. It was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame in 1998, and it is the 10th-ranked song on critics' all-time lists according to Acclaimed Music. The song was added to the National Recording Registry of the Library of Congress in 2006.

4). On this day in 1966, "Paint It Black" is a song recorded 1966 by the English rock band the Rolling Stones. A product of Mick Jagger and Keith Richards' songwriting partnership, it is an uptempo song with Indian, Middle Eastern, and Eastern European influences and features lyrics about grief and loss. London Records released the song as a single on 7 May 1966 in the United States; Decca Records released it on 13 May in the United Kingdom. London Records included it as the opening track on the American version of the band's 1966 studio album Aftermath.

5). On this day in 1970, The world premiere of the Beatles film "Let It Be" was in New York City on 13 May 1970. One week later, UK premieres were held at the Liverpool Gaumont Cinema and the London Pavilion. None of the Beatles attended any of the premieres. The Beatles won an Oscar for Let It Be in the category "Original Song Score", which Quincy Jones accepted on their behalf.

6). On this day in 1978, The Musical "Runaways" opens at Plymouth Theater in NYC for 199,   performances, was written, composed, choreographed, and directed by Elizabeth Swados. Runaways tell the story of the forgotten children living on the street of New York City in the 1970s. Initially created from interviews with homeless children, Runaways takes a hard look at the lives of children who have had to grow up too fast. This collection of songs, dances, and spoken word pieces gives the audience a deeper look into the personal struggles runaways face as these children try to navigate the scary, grown-up world around them. This large, diverse cast of youth actors makes Runaways a fantastic choice to showcase a talented group of young actors.

7). Born on this day in 1756, Wojciech Żywny (Czech: Vojtěch Živný; May 13, 1756 – February 21, 1842) was a Czech-born Polish pianist, violinist, teacher, and composer. He was Frédéric Chopin's first professional piano teacher.

😎. Born on this day in 1923, William McKinley "Red" Garland Jr. was an American modern jazz pianist. Known for his work as a bandleader and during the 1950s with Miles Davis, Garland helped popularize the block chord style of playing jazz piano.

9). Born on this day in 1935, Alessandro Carmelo "Teddy" Randazzo (May 13, 1935 – November 21, 2003) was an American pop songwriter, singer, arranger, and producer, who composed hit songs such as "Goin' Out of My Head", "It's Gonna Take a Miracle", "Pretty Blue Eyes", and "Hurt So Bad" in the 1960s.

10). Born on this day in 1941, Richard Steven Valenzuela (May 13, 1941 – February 3, 1959), known professionally as Ritchie Valens, was an American guitarist, singer, and songwriter. A rock and roll pioneer and a forefather of the Chicano rock movement, Valens was killed in a plane crash eight months into his music career. Valens had several hits, most notably "La Bamba", which he had adapted from a Mexican folk song. Valens transformed the song into one with a rock rhythm and beat, and it became a hit in 1958, making Valens a pioneer of the Spanish-speaking rock and roll movement. He also had an American number-two hit with "Donna". On February 3, 1959, on what has become known as "The Day the Music Died", Valens died in a plane crash in Iowa, an accident that also claimed the lives of fellow musicians Buddy Holly and J. P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson, as well as pilot Roger Peterson. Valens was 17 at the time of his death. In 2001, Valens was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

11). Born on this day in 1943, Mary Esther Wells was an American singer, who helped to define the emerging sound of Motown in the early 1960s. Along with The Supremes, The Miracles, The Temptations, Martha Reeves and the Vandellas, and the Four Tops, Wells was said to have been part of the charge in black music onto radio stations and record shelves of mainstream America, "bridging the color lines in music at the time."

12). Born on this day in 1950, Stevland Hardaway Morris, known professionally as Stevie Wonder, is an American singer-songwriter and musician, who is credited as a pioneer and influence by musicians across a range of genres that includes rhythm and blues, pop, soul, gospel, funk, and jazz. A virtual one-man band, his use of synthesizers and other electronic musical instruments during the 1970s reshaped the conventions of R&B. He also helped drive the genre into the album era, crafting his LPs as cohesive, consistent socially conscious statements with complex compositions.

13). Born on this day in 1966, Darius Carlos Rucker is an American singer and songwriter. He first gained fame as the lead vocalist and rhythm guitarist of the rock band Hootie & the Blowfish, which he founded in 1986 at the University of South Carolina along with Mark Bryan, Jim "Soni" Sonefeld, and Dean Felber. The band released five studio albums with Rucker as a member and charted six top 40 hits on the Billboard Hot 100. Rucker co-wrote most of the songs with the other members of the band.

Have a great Friday the 13th. Take care and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska

UncleBud
Chart Topper

I always enjoy this post.

The link for This Day In Music is not available for looking up information about music. I will be searching for a new source that will coincide with On This Day In The History Of Music. 

I thank all of the readers for your support for this post. 🙏 

I personally want to thank @AlyssaPandora, @AdamPandora, @ErickPandora, @TannerPandora and @UncleBud for your continuous loyal support. And for those that I have not mentioned personally please leave a comment and I will be sure to include you with all of those that I have already named. 

Take care and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska