cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ad Block Error with no Ad Block Extension

dillydadally
Underground

I'm using Pandora on my Windows 10 computer on the web via Chrome Version 84.0.4147.135 (Official Build) (64-bit).

I do not use any ad blocker and never have. I consider them dishonest, as I feel I pay for my content through viewing or listening to ads. Yet every time I load Pandora now I'm getting a very annoying, talking, loud, popup telling me that I have an ad blocker with instructions to disable it or whitelist Pandora. I can still listen to Pandora after dismissing it, but it's getting really annoying and intrusive and is happening over and over again.

Obviously, whatever methods Pandora's engineers are using to detect an ad blocker is getting a false positive on one of my other extensions. I've attached a screenshot of my extensions to help.

2020-08-22_15-11-51.png

If I had to guess, it would be one of these:

• Advanced Profanity Filter (crawls the current page and converts swear words to other words)
  • I don't care about cookies (removes cookie warning popups from most websites)
  • JetBrains IDE Support or Xdebug helper (web developer tools I use for work that hook into a page for debugging - it should not be enabled on this page though)

Please let me know if there's anything else you need to resolve this issue, as it has become highly intrusive and annoying.

mod edit: changed title for clarity

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@dillydadally I understand how frustrating this can be. I would also recommend trying out a different browser. This will help determine if it's browser related.

Some anti-virus software like Kaspersky can have anti-banner settings enabled that behave similarly to ad blockers. If you're using Kaspersky software, identify the version you have installed and follow their instructions on how to disable that feature: 

Since there are so many variations of ad blocking software and programs, we are unable to provide instructions for all of them. If you continue to have trouble, please reach out to the security software or device manufacturer's support team for additional assistance.

You can also bypass using your web browser to stream Pandora by downloading our Desktop App.

In the meantime, I've shared your experience / feedback with our engineering and device teams. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

View solution in original post

43 Replies

almas747
Local Performer

I'm not seeing ad blocker on my laptop.

0 Kudos

dillydadally
Underground

The link you left just goes back to this post. Did you mean to link to a different post?

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey, @dillydadally. 👋

Thanks so much for posting your experience.

Some anti-virus software like Kaspersky can have anti-banner settings enabled that behave similarly to ad blockers. If you're using Kaspersky software, identify the version you have installed and follow their instructions on how to disable that feature: 

Let me know if this helps. 🎧

Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?

dillydadally
Underground

Thank you for the reply Alyssa! I am using only the built in Windows Defender and Malwarebytes Premium, which I don't believe has any sort of ad blocking. I do not use any other anti-virus programs at this time.

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@dillydadally I understand how frustrating this can be. I would also recommend trying out a different browser. This will help determine if it's browser related.

Since there are so many variations of ad blocking software and programs, we are unable to provide instructions for all of them. If you continue to have trouble, please reach out to the security software or device manufacturer's support team for additional assistance.

You can also bypass using your web browser to stream Pandora by downloading our Desktop App.

In the meantime, I've shared your experience / feedback with our engineering and device teams. 🎧

Local Performer

I've tried turning off ad block on Chrome by pausing and whitelisting but it doesn't work so I tried installing Firefox fresh with no ad block extension and it still says I need to turn ad block off.... what gives?

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, @1234567891011. 👋

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this.

I moved your post over to this existing thread to keep the Desktop space organized: Ad Block Error with no Ad Block Extension

I would recommend checking out my post about the Kaspersky software - in case this is causing the issue you're experiencing. 

If you still have trouble with this, please review the accepted solution of this thread here. 🎧

carl3658
Underground

I'm using free Pandora and the Edge browser.  I have Edge set up to be a kind of Admin browser (for admin tasks) so that I can work on projects in other browsers (I have 3 or more open running different projects with logins to the same domain at the same time (for support purposes) in such a way that I can't do all the work in one browser).  In other words, it has to be Edge.

I have no extensions installed, so obviously no ad blocker.  I have only the Windows 10 anti-virus but MAY have malwarebytes or some such installed.  In short, I'm pretty sure I have no ad blockers running, but in any case I DO get ads on Pandora.

Unfortunately, Pandora thinks I have ad blocker running.  It used to let me just click out of that and listen, but finally now it is refusing to play music.  What gives?  Why does it think I have ad blockers (what kind of check does it do) when I don't?  This is a pretty frustrating experience and is making me re-think using Pandora as a music streamer.

As an aside, I am in a region that has very little spanish speakers, far more likely to have french speakers, but while I can get by in spanish, I'm an english speaker.  Yet it insists on frequently shifting to spanish  language ads.  Needless to say, those ads are mostly lost on me.

carl3658
Underground

Just a quick update.  I re-loaded Pandora and now I can "OK" the ad blocker message and get back to listening.  But I'm still getting the message every once in a while.

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey, @carl3658. 👋

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble listening. I understand how frustrating this can be.

To keep the community space organized, I moved your post over to this existing thread: Ad Block Error with no Ad Block Extension

• Please check out my post about Kapersky here.
  • If you still have trouble with this, please review the accepted solution of this thread here

Thanks so much for posting on the community! 🎧

Local Performer

Thank you Alyssa, I was able to whitelist Pandora with my Kaspersky anti-banner settings and now it works.

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@1234567891011 Awesome! So glad those steps where helpful.

Enjoy the tunes! 🎶

carl3658
Underground

The problem is, I'M NOT USING ANY Ad Blockers (no browser extensions and no software installed) and certainly not Kaspersky.  I tried to make that clear in my post.  But I get the message a lot.  Most often when I pause Pandora because I'm not in the room (I try not to leave it streaming when I'm not listening).  Just about every time I do that the ad blocker warning shows up after  a little while.  I may try the app, but it sure seems like the algorithm for checking on ad blockers when streaming from the website is not working correctly.

0 Kudos

carl3658
Underground

So I paused Pandora to get a bite of lunch.  Then returned to post this and here's the message.  No ad blocker.  Just paused for a half hour or so.

The ever present warningThe ever present warning

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@carl3658 Thanks for the follow up, and I'm sorry that you're still running into this error. 

I would recommend reviewing the accepted solution of this thread here. To avoid this, it may be best to launch a new listening session if you take an extended break or use the desktop app on your computer.

In the meantime, I've reported the information you've provided to our engineering team. 🎧

Rod_
Local Performer
blocked even for those who do not have adblocker and antivirus.

What the company is doing! What kind of team do you have? You have managed to make the web application blocked even for those who do not have adblocker and antivirus. My money is a joke to you?

mod edit: format

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @Rod_. 👋

Nice to see you around the community. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback about this.

To keep the community space organized, I moved your post over to this existing thread: Ad Block Error with no Ad Block Extension

• If you're experiencing this, I would recommend checking out my post about possible anti-banner settings here.
  • If you continue to have trouble, the accepted solution for this thread can be found in this post.

We also have another thread created by a community member that we're looking into: Ad Blocker false-positive, consistently after restart

I hope this information is helpful. 🎧

6262bugg
Underground

we as premium subscribers should NOT have go through this.why is it that when a sub. has a problem it is always us who have the prob. not pandora. my sub never auto renews(pre.) i have to use a different card each time. now i have been without pan.for 4 days...WHAT IS UP

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@6262bugg I do see you've posted about the subscription issue previously on this thread: Subscription renewal always fails

I am going to have someone from our support team reach out to you again privately via email to provide additional details on this.

Please keep an eye out for their message. 📬

0 Kudos