cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop: Volume Continually Fluctuates

noonecares
Underground

Hello, I use Pandora on a laptop. Its connected via wifi. The volume continually fluctuates. Not the reading of the volume tab, JUST the sound. 

I have tried leaving on max and adjusting on my speaker, I have tried 50% volume and adjusting my speaker, but it still fluctuates.

I dont have super high internet but plent and my wifi is solid.

How do I fix this its quite annoying. 

Thanks,

mod edit: changed title for clarity

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @noonecares. 👋

Thanks for sharing your experience. 

Something to note, we don't alter music equalization on Pandora from how it appears on the original releases, unlike terrestrial radio, which compresses the entire broadcast. As a result, some songs sound louder than others. However, we do use the Replay Gain technique that encodes a fixed volume adjustment into the mp3/mp4 header so that the actual player (web browser, phone or device) can adjust volume just as the track begins playing.

If there are vast differences, it could also be due to different instrumentation or arrangements causing different apparent levels of volume where the actual decibel levels are the same.

++

In the meantime, could you share a bit more about how you're listening?

• Are you using a Windows or MAC computer?
  • Are you using a web browser? If so, which one?
  • Or, are you using the Pandora Desktop App?
  • Is this a recent issue that you've noticed?

Let me know. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @noonecares. 👋

Thanks for sharing your experience. 

Something to note, we don't alter music equalization on Pandora from how it appears on the original releases, unlike terrestrial radio, which compresses the entire broadcast. As a result, some songs sound louder than others. However, we do use the Replay Gain technique that encodes a fixed volume adjustment into the mp3/mp4 header so that the actual player (web browser, phone or device) can adjust volume just as the track begins playing.

If there are vast differences, it could also be due to different instrumentation or arrangements causing different apparent levels of volume where the actual decibel levels are the same.

++

In the meantime, could you share a bit more about how you're listening?

• Are you using a Windows or MAC computer?
  • Are you using a web browser? If so, which one?
  • Or, are you using the Pandora Desktop App?
  • Is this a recent issue that you've noticed?

Let me know. 🎧

Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
0 Kudos

noonecares
Underground

Hello, it is not the changing between songs. Its the actuall volume coming thru fluctuates. Its also not the music in the songs, lol, but thanks for checking., Its just the volume that comes thru. 

I've only been using pandora for a few months started to notice a few weeks ago. 

Win 10 new Gaming laptop 

Using internet explorer (I onlt use IE for pandora to run)

Desktop app? No but mayb thats a solution.

Not recent it's been happening. Happening right now on Weezer, gets loud then quiet just like someone is messing with the volume.

However, we do use the Replay Gain technique that encodes a fixed volume adjustment into the mp3/mp4 header so that the actual player (web browser, phone or device) can adjust volume just as the track begins playing. I just read the above. I think this is the problem. Anyway to reset this thing? I thought buffering, but it doesnt speed up or slow down its literally JUST the volume.

OK its happening now. Gets loud for 2 seconds then back down again. It literally is like its coming in and out of signal, but obviously not. 

Also apologize for the typos. 

Thanks for the help!

mod edit: merged comments

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for getting back to me with that information, @noonecares.

Unfortunately, we no longer support Internet Explorer to stream Pandora. Please use one of our supported browsers for listening to Pandora, like Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Microsoft Edge.

++

Pandora Desktop App for Windows:

If you're interested in using the Desktop App, I've included steps to download below.

You can find the Pandora app in the Windows Store on your device. Search for Pandora in the upper right corner and click Get to install.

• Downloading any app from the Windows Store will require that you have a Microsoft account and password.
  • The email address and password for your Microsoft account may be different than those on your Pandora account.
  • Note: At minimum, you'll need Windows 10 to use this app, but we recommend updating your system to the latest Windows version available to you. You can find more information on how to do this here.

I hope this information is helpful. 🎧

0 Kudos

noonecares
Underground

Hello, its actually Microsoft Edge. and completely fading in and out right now. 

Anything I can try ecxcept reboot?

I will try the desktop version, its un listenable. 

mod edit: merged comments
0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, @noonecares. 👋

Yes, there are other options. I've included some Microsoft Edge troubleshooting below, if you'd like to run through those steps.

Edge Troubleshooting:

1. Clear your browser's history, cache and cookies.
    • Click on the three dots in the top right (located on the browser toolbar).
    • Select Settings
    • Select Choose what to clear under the Clear browsing data title.
    • Check the boxes for Browsing History, Cookies and saved website data and Cashed data and files.
    • Click Clear.
  2. Turn off extensions like Disable HTML5 Autoplay, Adblock, and NoScript, or allow www.pandora.com within them.
  3. If you are using an internet firewall or anti-virus program, it could be blocking portions of our site. Try allowing access to www.pandora.com within those programs, and then try visiting our site again. If this doesn't help, then try disabling such programs entirely as a test to see if this affects your issue.

Once you've completed this, restart your computer and then try loading pandora.com again.

Feel free to let me know how it goes, as well as trying the Pandora Desktop App. 🎧

noonecares
Underground

The desktop version solved my issue. Thanks much!!!!

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Glad to hear it, @noonecares. 👍

Let me know if anything else pops up. Happy listening! 🎶

0 Kudos

Chaddycat
Local Performer

I have the same problem. I have an iPhone, and the app makes the volume go up and down,  up down up, up and down during a single song. It’s so annoying, I have to turn off the app and use another service… Pandora was my favorite music app until now… I hope they can fix this issue.

0 Kudos

noonecares
Underground

So I used the webplayer and had this issue, was told to use desktop app and it resolved. Now its doing it again literally sounds like someone is turning volume up and down. How do I fix this??????? Its unlistenable 😞

To clarify, imagine a kids messing with ou by tirning volume up then down all day, its the same!!! Rebooted does nothing.

P.S. Its not me.

0 Kudos

wlarryosborneO
Local Performer

I use Windows on a desktop computer, use the Pandora Desktop App, and it is a recent problem.

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @wlarryosborneO. 👋

Looks like you were in touch with a member of our team via email recently, and the issue has since been resolved.

If you have any additional issues, I've included some troubleshooting below just in case.

Pandora App for Windows 10 Troubleshooting:

First, try resetting the Pandora app from the Help menu (not to worry, we'll keep track of your profile and collection for you). Press Alt on your keyboard to bring up a menu options at the top of the page, then select Help and Reset App Data.

If you're still having issues, try uninstalling and reinstalling using the following steps:

1. Locate Pandora in your Start Menu, and right-click to reveal an additional menu. Select Uninstall from the dropdown menu. From there, select Pandora from the list and confirm by selecting Uninstall once more.
  2. Next, find our app in the Windows Store on your device. Search for Pandora in the upper right corner and click or tap Get to re-install.

Please note that downloading any application on your devices requires a Microsoft account and password, and it may be a different email address and password than those on your Pandora account.

Also, we do not support Pandora on unofficial OS releases, like preview or developer builds. We only support Pandora on configurations that we have fully tested, so as to ensure the application will work correctly and not cause any problems with functions of the device.

Hope this helps! 🎧

0 Kudos

noonecares
Underground

My audio sounds like someone it turning it up and down all day long. I am listening on the PC app. I've had this problem before never resolved.

Any support from Pandora the people I pay for this service???

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@noonecares I moved your new message back into your original post: Desktop: Volume Continually Fluctuates

It looks like we last suggested you listen on the Windows Desktop App when this happened.

To clarify, are you listening to Pandora on our website, or the desktop app? If you're listening from our website, what browser are you using?

Let me know.

0 Kudos

Dez-BlueRose
Local Performer

@AlyssaPandora, @AdamPandora -

I'm hitting the same issue with Windows App Pandora Version 15.0.3, on Windows 11 22H2 (Build 22621.963).  Listening in the app on my Android phone is beautiful; listening in the Windows Desktop App is miserable - like a bored five-year-old is constantly spinning the volume knob up and down while the song plays. 😞  I've gone through the entire troubleshooting process outlined by AlyssaPandora above, with no change to the issue after any step.

This is also happening when I try to play Pandora in Firefox 108.0.1 (64-bit), Edge 108.0.1462.54 (Official build) (64-bit), and Chrome 108.0.5359.125 (Official Build) (64-bit).  Cleared cache on each browser to no effect.  I can listen to Pandora through my phone, but would really like to be able to stream it on my laptop so I can have all my audio on a single speaker setup rather than having my laptop-connected speakers giving me some of my audio, and having to have my music come from my phone...

Thanks, and Happy New Year!

0 Kudos

TCgg
Local Performer

I am wired into my fast network.  I am on a PC with current Windows and software.  I am using Firefox.  I get random dropouts of sound.  Does a buffer need to be changed?  Need help.  Has anyone had thei resolved?

0 Kudos