cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac Desktop App: Won't load after MacOS 14.4.1

cjborg
Underground

I'm not sure whether the failure of Pandora Desktop to load coincides precisely with updating to Mac OS 14.4.1, but the app remains with the "spinning disc" and never loads a station.  I've deleted the app, rebooted the Mac, downloaded and reinstalled the app, to no 

Moderator Edit: Changing title for clarity

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

cjborg
Underground

The problem was resolved through communication with tech support from Pandora and from my VPN software.  In short, make sure that your VPN is set to connect only with servers optimized from streaming.  This setting sometimes defaults to an "off" position when updates are installed, so it is important to know where that setting can be changed.  Pandora works fine now; the solution was simply to find that setting and re-set it to "optimize streaming."

View solution in original post

8 Replies

TannerPandora

Hi @cjborg 

Welcome to community!

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with the Pandora desktop app. I believe it may have been coincidental, I'm currently on 14.4.1 on my Mac and I tried the desktop app and Pandora played without problem.

To clarify, does the app load, so you can see your content, but selecting a station will lead to the spinning disc?

I see that you've tried some troubleshooting steps before reaching out. Would you mind trying those steps once more. I've enabled a trace on your account and would like to see if anything abnormal appears in the log.

From the Pandora desktop app, click on Help from the menu bar. Scroll down to Troubleshooting.

• First select Clear Cache and Restart
  • Second, select Reset App Data

After try and play Pandora as your normally would.

Thanks for the help!

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

cjborg
Underground

Many thanks for the reply!

I tried those steps again, in the order you suggested, but the result is the same.   

To clarify - which I think you understood, but just to be sure - when I say "spinning disc," I mean the Pandora "spinning LP record" simulation, not Apple's color-wheel of death.  When I open Pandora, it automatically logs me in and I am able to access my account, change settings, etc., but music never plays . . . the LP just spins silently.

Also, I'm unsure whether the update to 14.4.1 is even temporally related to this issue - that is simply the only system alteration I can recall recently – so I accept your suggestion that the two are coincidental as being quite likely the case.   I've wondered whether something may have gone awry with my OS update, but whatever might have gone awry has, so far, only affected Pandora,  but that seems unlikely.

0 Kudos

cjborg
Underground

I've also run Disk First Aid a few times and rebooted the computer many times.

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @cjborg Thanks for the reply.

Couple of follow up questions:

• Any trouble playing Pandora through a web browser?
  • Is this a work or personal computer?
  • Does this happen on a work or personal network?
  • Do you use a VPN or connected to a network that may use a VPN?

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

cjborg
Underground

Many, many thanks for your patient and persistent help!

Pandora is working for me as of a few minutes but only without VPN.  Here are answers, and then I'll tell you what I changed:

• Any trouble playing Pandora through a web browser?
    • Yes; Pandora would not play though any browser I have (Safari, Firefox, Brave)
  • Is this a work or personal computer?
    • Personal
  • Does this happen on a work or personal network?
    • No; it happens everywhere I 
  • Do you use a VPN or connected to a network that may use a VPN?

Yes; but Pandora worked for years using my private VPN as well as when connected via a University VPN that prevents my sending email when connected, but still allowed Pandora to play. 

I had tried disconnecting my personal VPN to no avail, but after seeing your question about VPN, I  disconnected from VPN, then cleared the cache and reset the app, and Pandora suddenly worked.  

So, I then reconnected VPN, and Pandora continued playing, but stalled again (spinning LP) when the current cut was finished.   So it would seem something has changed with either my VPN or with Pandora, as Pandora only recently stopped working after playing for years through the VPN connection.

Do you have any suggestions for using Pandora through a private VPN?

Many, many thanks for your patient and persistent help!

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @cjborg 

Thanks for the details!

Unfortunately, Pandora doesn't support the use of VPNs when streaming. So we can't predict what may happen when one is used. I'd recommend checking to see if you can make an exception for Pandora in your VPN settings. You may need to play around with these settings a bit to see what may work best for you. I've also made some small changes that may help your overall experience.

Sorry I wasn't able to be more helpful.

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

cjborg
Underground

The problem was resolved through communication with tech support from Pandora and from my VPN software.  In short, make sure that your VPN is set to connect only with servers optimized from streaming.  This setting sometimes defaults to an "off" position when updates are installed, so it is important to know where that setting can be changed.  Pandora works fine now; the solution was simply to find that setting and re-set it to "optimize streaming."

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for the update around this, @cjborg.

This will be helpful for other community friends that may encounter a similar experience. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What song fits your mood today?
Check out new tunes this week:New Music: Picks of the Week (04.29.24)
0 Kudos