cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RESOLVED 11/10/21: Web: Timeout Message Appears More Frequently

slpettit
Local Performer

I see other people are also recently having this issue too I use to only get "are you still listening" once a day around lunch time but now I'm getting it every 20-30 minutes. kind of frustrating. Can you help me figure out how to fix it?

Moderator Edit: Changing title for clarity

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Pandora Update 11/09/21:

Another update!

We believe the issue with the Timeout Message appearing more frequently should now be resolved.

You will need refresh your web browsers in order for the fix to be pushed.

Let us know if you continue to run into issues with this.

View solution in original post

18 Replies

sparrow525
Local Performer

The "Are You Still Listening" message has been coming up for me an acceptable amount of twice a day, after noon and around 4-5 pm.  Suddenly today it's coming up like once an hour.  What happened?  This is really annoying!

@sparrow525 here is the link for the solution to your problem. @AdamPandora a moderator here on Pandora has found this solution. Solved: Error Message: "Are you still listening?" - Pandora Community. Have a great Thursday. Take care and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska

sparrow525
Local Performer

That is not helpful.  I'm not a subscriber and I don't intend to become a subscriber.  Before this week I was getting the message approximately 2 times a day, which I feel is reasonable.  I was not under any kind of subscription or anything, only the free account.  Now, suddenly, it's coming up every half hour to an hour, which I feel is totally unreasonable and annoying.  If it keeps up I'll just go to Amazon music, which I already have. 

0 Kudos

dragonlipz
Underground

The link provided above is a link to this thread that still does not answer the problem.

Also I'd like to add that in the past 4 weeks it has started happening daily without fail. Often Right after I un-pause from the night before. So interaction with the app does not reset the timer.

My current guess is purely the identity token timeout due to its current behavior. So it's not properly doing a refresh call off the token unless you refresh the browser and bases the listening timeout on that. Again just a guess.

As a side note: for those complaining about this off a free account. Quit whining about stuff you aren't paying anything for. You get what you pay for in that instance.

0 Kudos

rbj_67
Local Performer

What Gives!? I used to listen for 4 hrs before time out... which is lunch and go home.

Now every effing hr it Times Out!

Why was the settings changed? 

Is this getting fixed to the way it was or do I need to change to Spotify?

alfordclan0708
Local Performer

mine is doing the same. Macbook using google chrome. Just started doing this yesterday.

cheetah7985
Local Performer

Here to add - timing out way too often since a day or two ago. Something like once an hour. You gotta manage costs, fine, but don't be dodgy about it. 

nads2316
Local Performer

I've been having the same issue that a number of other users had. It used to last from 9 AM to roughly 1 PM, but now it is asking every hour. I'm using a windows computer, running it through a browser, with everything updated. For me, it just started happening today. I usually put it on in my shop to have music playing for customers. So, having to tap "I'm still listening" only once a day, was fine. But, every hour is kinda crazy.

gklauser1
Local Performer

says : Are you still  Listening

Angel0627
Local Performer

Add me to this issue with the every hour time out. I get that we are using the free addition but every hour is little much to ask if I am still listening. Why has there been a change from the original 4 hours. I appreciate any reccommendations other that "you are using the free radio so deal"

TannerPandora

Hi @slpettit What's the make and model of the device you are using when you receive the message?

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

slpettit
Local Performer
Hello,

It's a thinkcenter desktop with windows 10 pro on it.

Thanks
0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Thanks, @slpettit! Thanks for the clarification. 

I've created a new post within our Desktop Board since this is different than the previous thread about Tivo

Can you let me know if you're using the desktop app or web browser? If you're listening from our website, what browser are you using?

Can you do me a favor and share a screenshot of the message when you receive, along with the date and approximate time. I'd like take a closer look. 

Thanks!

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

slpettit
Local Performer
I'm listening on Google Chrome. This just started happening last Friday.
0 Kudos

dmoran
Local Performer

I am also having this issue. Started about a week ago for me.

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for following up, @slpettit.

The next time this happens, please grab a screenshot of the message when it displays after only 20-30 minutes, and note the date and approximate time.

We appreciate you working with us on this. 🤝

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Pandora Update 11/09/21:

Hi everyone! 👋

Are you still listening? message:

Thanks for writing and sharing your feedback about the timeout policy.

The timeout message comes up when we detect that you have not interacted with the player for a while. This is in place to avoid playing music to empty rooms and helps reduce our streaming costs.

We actively test various approaches to better gauge whether or not we're playing to an empty room.

Since we pay full royalties on every song we play, having a timeout interval enables us to prevent streaming endlessly to unattended devices. Ultimately, it allows us to offer our free service and maintain our current subscription prices.

When you encounter the timeout message, simply click or tap anywhere on the Pandora music player to continue listening.

To limit timeouts you can upgrade to Pandora Plus or Pandora Premium, which allow you to listen for longer periods without a timeout message. To learn more about the benefits of upgrading, visit this page.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Are you still listening message appearing more frequently on web:

For those of you reporting that this message recently starting appearing more often than it has in the past, we'd be happy to help look into this further.

The next time this happens, please reply back to this thread with the following:

• a screenshot of the message that appears
  • the date/time the message popped up
  • what browser are you using?

Thanks for working with us on this. 🤝

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Pandora Update 11/09/21:

Another update!

We believe the issue with the Timeout Message appearing more frequently should now be resolved.

You will need refresh your web browsers in order for the fix to be pushed.

Let us know if you continue to run into issues with this.