cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Explicit Tracks now Censored

AlyssaPandora

Hi folks!

We've noticed reports about explicit tracks now playing as censored versions of your favorite tunes.

We try to buy unedited versions of all music and comedy we acquire, but sometimes a clean version is all that's available. This is particularly common with movie soundtracks and best-of collections.

Sometimes our licensing for certain content may expire. Other times we get the radio edit of a track before we get the original, and the tracks are indistinguishable from one another from a database perspective.

For that reason, Pandora might select a clean track from one of these sources instead of a nearly identical track from another album. This is an unfortunate reality of the record business: sometimes songs that are not identical are labeled as identical.

Finally, the lyrics preview will always display "clean" lyrics. If you'd like to view the full, uncensored text, click Show more or See all lyrics.

++

To report any tracks that were once explicit but are now censored, please provide the following info:

• The name of the station where this occurred
• The name(s) of the artist(s)
• The title(s) of the track(s)

Once we have this information, we can report it to our curation team for you.

Thanks for your help, and see ya around the community!

Alyssa | Community Moderator

Let's talk music in Community Chat

Labels (4)
383 Replies

AdamPandora

@chenjf Thank you for reporting this - I have escalated this to the folks who take care of our collection. 

Adam | Community Moderator

Let's share music in the Playlist Swap

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@Luisav123 Feel free to leave a list of affected tracks in a reply to this message. 

0 Kudos

Fixmy59bug
Local Performer

Under and Over It is currently playing on my stream and it is also being censored.

This is REALLY strange because there are many other songs (inluding Metallica and Papa Roach) which played literally just before this song that were not censored. So it appears it IS ONLY Five Finger Death Punch that is being censored.

0 Kudos

Luisav123
Underground

The entire Bestiary album by Hail Mary Mallon is now edited. 

Also see legs by run the Jewels. 

I'm sure there are more. 

Maybe there should be a report button we can push and select from a menu of problems to report about songs instead of us trying to remember and report them to you.  

AdamPandora

@Luisav123 I've forwarded this to the people who take care of the collection. We'll look into it ASAP.

In the meantime, you can give this existing feature requestHeart to upvote it as it sounds like a feature you are interested in as well.

Hope we continue to see you around the community! 

0 Kudos

Miranda3
Local Performer

Song Bass Ackwards by Tech N9ne is censored. Never was before. Is there any way I can change this on my account to stop censoring my music?! Not going to pay for a premium account if my music isnt what it used to be.

AdamPandora

@Miranda3 Thanks so much for pointing this out - I've forwarded this to the people who take care of the collection. 

0 Kudos

Iris
Local Performer

I found a solution. Turns out that there is now a setting that can censor explicit music. All you have to do is slide the slider to turn it green which will allow explicit music to play normally.

0 Kudos

mdavis7
Local Performer

Everlast songs on the Whitey Ford Sings the Blues album suddenly switched out for censored ones a month or two ago.  They replaced my favorites and I never favorite the censored versions of songs.

Ends and What it's like are the two tracks I hear the most.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@mdavis7 Thanks for letting us know about this - I've passed your feedback along to the folks who handle our collection so they can investigate. 

blues-sevenfold
Diamond in the Rough

Even though the album cover shown has the explicit label on it, this version of American Capitalist by Five Finger Death Punch is cencored.

AdamPandora

@blues-sevenfold Thanks for reporting! 🎶

NotaUsername
Local Performer
same thing happening to me all the time now. for ex eminem as the world turns. last 10-15 years no problem but today censored
0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@NotaUsername Thank you for reporting this - I've escalated this to folks who handle our collection. 

0 Kudos

DonaldDDAY
Underground

Does Pandora have a way to block live and edited music? I have the explicit setting on but I get a lot of live music and recently alot of the tracks I have liked for years now are playing the radio edits. I am actually thinking about cancelling my subscription because of this. Any ideas?

AdamPandora

@DonaldDDAY I moved your post to this thread as it sounds like you are hearing censored tracks on your stations. 

@AlyssaPandora provided some helpful information regarding this in her message above.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

In regards to the issue you are having with live tracks playing:

There isn't currently a way to filter out live versions of songs, however feel free to give this existing Feature Request a ❤️to express your interest in it as well.

Thanks for being a part of the community!

0 Kudos

DonaldDDAY
Underground

After seeing that no legit fix for this is in place I will just find another service. Thanks for the information.

0 Kudos

DonaldDDAY
Underground

Is this a data base issue? It doesn't seem logical that prior to a few months ago this problem never occurred and now it runs rampant on my profile. This is frustrating to the point that I close the app. Do we have a timeline when a fix will be implemented? I love the Pandora app and really don't want to change to another service but this issue makes its extremely difficult to enjoy my stations. 

0 Kudos

NamelessMinion
Local Performer

Looking into these problems doesn't fix anything. It's pretty simple: You're censoring music. It really sounds like you're trying to make people jump through hoops so you can avoid the issue. There are a lot of songs that were thumbed up before that you later switch to the censored version. That requires action on your end. If it's an issue of making things "family friendly" then give us adults a box to check that says "I'm a grownup and naughty words are ok."

0 Kudos

DaddyJohnny
Local Performer

Better Now by Post Malone, despite being collected, plays the censored version even if I click on the uncensored, which I have saved. It also shamelessly plays the clean version and allows me to collect it if I like. It's like a mislinked image or something.

0 Kudos