cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volume difference between songs

dragon7380
Local Performer

I have cancelled my Pandora Premium because of the repeated changes in the volume of a song. My neighbor just retired after 35 years as an Engineer at a Radio Station. He said that you NEVER change the volume from one song to another. You send it out at the same volume for every single song. YOUR SITE does not do that. One song is LOUNDER than the next, or softer than the next so I am repeatedly adjusting the volume. I am tired of this and I am debating on just deleting all of Pandora. Do what is best for your subscibers and keep the volume level and the same from ONE song to another...NOW some songs get louder or softer IN the song and that is

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@dragon7380 We don't alter music equalization on Pandora from how it appears on the original releases, unlike terrestrial radio, which compresses the entire broadcast.

As a result, some songs sound louder than others. However, we do use the Replay Gain technique that encodes a fixed volume adjustment into the mp3/mp4 header so that the actual player (web browser, phone or device) can adjust volume just as the track begins playing.

If there are vast differences, it could also be due to different instrumentation or arrangements causing different apparent levels of volume where the actual decibel levels are the same.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@dragon7380 We don't alter music equalization on Pandora from how it appears on the original releases, unlike terrestrial radio, which compresses the entire broadcast.

As a result, some songs sound louder than others. However, we do use the Replay Gain technique that encodes a fixed volume adjustment into the mp3/mp4 header so that the actual player (web browser, phone or device) can adjust volume just as the track begins playing.

If there are vast differences, it could also be due to different instrumentation or arrangements causing different apparent levels of volume where the actual decibel levels are the same.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos

gbeard108
Local Performer

Is this likely to change, that is Pandora will not provide volume leveling?  It really is a problem.

0 Kudos

Ginjaninja42024
Local Performer

I distinctly remember being able to have Pandora play all my songs at the same level in the past why did that stop?

0 Kudos

Kenbuerster
Underground

Why is there such a difference in playback volume from one song to the next? Very annoying having to constantly adjust the volume level. Spotify doesn't have that problem. 

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Kenbuerster I moved your post over to this existing thread: Volume difference between songs

Check out the accepted solution for more information around this.

Thanks for being a part of the community! :pandora:

0 Kudos