cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hearing out of place tracks on station

Autolycus81
Local Performer

So I've subscribed to Pandora for years.  Had my stations curated pretty well, but then around when thumbprint radio was introduced they got messed up, things I had thumbed up in one station were showing up in another where I didn't want them.  After months of thumbing down these bad suggestions, the stations were largely good again...

Then a couple of weeks ago they started having a bunch of bad suggestions that didn't fit the station again. I don't want to go through months of trying to fix the algorithms again, is there a setting where I can get Pandora to not take in preferences from other stations? I'm starting to consider switching to Spotify if Pandora can't provide what they used to. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AdamPandora

Pandora Update 05/10/21:

Hi everyone! 👋🏽

Pandora tries to improve the chances that you will enjoy every song that plays. It does this by using a combination of the detailed information in the Music Genome Project, the station seeds and Thumbs feedback you have given, and feedback given by other listeners under similar conditions.

We hope that the music Pandora plays will be just what you wanted, but occasionally Pandora will surprise you. When it's a welcome surprise give the song a Thumbs Up. Otherwise give it a Thumbs Down. This will help make your stations play more music that you like.

You can also use Pandora Modes to customize your station experience when you're listening on our website or your mobile device. Pick from different modes like Crowd Faves, Discovery and Deep Cuts.

Thumbs given in a specific mode will guide the station in that direction. For example, if you prefer to hear the hits, and not much new music, listen under Crowd Faves and use Thumbs to direct your station.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

This being said, if you believe you are hearing wildly out of place tracks on one of your stations, we are happy to help look into it further.

The next time it happens, please write us back with the following:

• The name of the station where this occurred:
  • The name(s) of the out of place artist(s) on the station.
  • The title(s) of the out of place track(s) that played.
  • Were you able to give the out of place track(s) a Thumbs down?
  • Were you listening using a Pandora Mode like Crowd Faves, Discovery or Deep Cuts?

Also if possible, please grab a screenshot of the out of place track that plays, and send that in a reply to this message.

Thanks for the help!

Adam | Community Moderator

Let's share music in the Playlist Swap

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
32 Replies

AdamPandora

@Autolycus81 I moved your post over to this existing thread: Hearing out of place tracks on station

To clarify, Thumbs are station specific, so please feel free to Thumb Up and Thumb Down accordingly. Giving a Thumb rating on one station will not affect any of your other stations.

This being said, it sounds like you may be having issues with wildly out of place tracks playing on some of your stations.

The next time this happens, can you please write me back with the following?

• Were you listening using a Pandora Mode like Crowd Faves, Discovery or Deep Cuts?

Also if possible, please grab a screenshot of the out of place track that plays, and send that in a reply to this message.

Thanks for working with me on this. 🤝

0 Kudos

bigdogguy
Local Performer

I have classical music tracks showing up on my Michael W Smith station
I had once liked a particular song that was featured on a classical album, it began offering classical constantly, I deleted the track that started it all and have spent several months thumbs downing every classical song that comes on, but the classical continues to dominate my station. I  was not using Discovery/Deep/Crowd modes.

Help?

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@bigdogguy After taking a look at your Michael W Smith Radio station, I found that you have added an errant seed, Agnus Dei (Intermezzo from L'arlésienne Suite No.2, No.6) by
Andrea Bocelli
 to that station. That's why you're hearing tracks that don't fit.

Here is a screenshot of where I am seeing this errant seed:

Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 7.40.36 AM.png

You can delete the bad seed by editing your station.

To delete that bad seed from a computer:

1. From My Collection, visit your station list.
  2. Click on the name of the station you'd like to edit. This will take you directly to the station's "backstage page." 
  3. Hover the mouse over the station seed you'd like to remove and select Delete.

To delete that bad seed from a mobile device:

1. From My Collection, visit your station list.
  2. Tap on the name of the station you'd like to edit.
  3. This will start your station, so tap the the Thumb icon in the upper right corner of your screen to continue to the station's backstage page.
  4. From the station's backstage page, tap on the Edit icon (the small pencil to the left of the play icon) to edit your station, and scroll down to Station Created From.
  5. Remove this "bad seed" by tapping the small (X) beside that item.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos

bigdogguy
Local Performer

Thank you, I did not catch that since it is the same title as a song written by MWS

AdamPandora

@bigdogguy Always happy to help! 😁

0 Kudos

Hanhud1
Local Performer

My favorite station that I’ve been fine tuning with likes and skips for years just totally forgot all about our past together and now plays whatever it wants, I’m broken hearted 💔

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@Hanhud1 I moved your post over to this existing thread: Hearing out of place tracks on station

To clarify, are you having issues with wildly out of place tracks playing on one of your stations?

If so, the next time this happens, can you please write me back with the following?

Thanks for working with me on this. 🤝

0 Kudos

Autolycus81
Local Performer

Hey Adam, 

Thanks for helping.  First example I heard:

Station: Irish Pub Rock radio

Artist: Edgar Meyer, Bela Fleck, Mike Marshall

Track: Big Country

Didn't thumb down at the time because I didn't remember that part of the instructions.

Don't know what those modes are, don't think I was using one?

Anything else? 

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@Autolycus81 Thanks for following up.

I will actually need a screenshot of the next out of place track that plays, as well as for you to give that track a Thumbs Down on your end.

The next time that happens, please make sure to follow up with that information, and I'll be happy to further assist from there.

Thanks again for working with me on this! 

0 Kudos

SBacklin
Local Performer

I came across this thread on the web when searching for information on why Pandora keeps playing songs out of place.  For example, I play the 80s station and the song 'Blinding Lights' by The Weeknd keeps coming up.  Now, that song is a good song but it does NOT belong on the 80s station.  I specifically avoid using thumb ratings.

However, months ago, I've noticed these ghost thumb ratings showing up on my profile.  They are/were ratings for songs I've never heard of nor would I look to listen to. They weren't ever able to get deleted.  Pandora support says they're aware and working on it but, no response after that.  As of this post, my profile shows 17 thumb ratings but, the page where the thumb ratings is located, is blank.  So Pandora's systems are jacked and I'm seriously believing now these issues are connected.  Does any of the support reps on this forum have any insight and information?

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@SBacklin Nice to see you around the Community. 👋🏽

To clarify, the issue with the incorrect thumb count showing in your profile is still being investigated by our engineering team. I can see you were in contact with our support team previously, and they have already added your info to the ticket we have open with those engineers.

This being said, the issue is that the incorrect count showing is just a bad number. They aren't actually affecting any of your collected stations.

If you are having trouble with out of place tracks playing on one of your 80s stations, the next time this happens, can you please write me back with the following?

Also, please grab a screenshot of the out of place track that plays, and send that in a reply to this message.

Thanks for working with me on this. 🤝

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

Pandora Update 05/10/21:

Hi everyone! 👋🏽

Pandora tries to improve the chances that you will enjoy every song that plays. It does this by using a combination of the detailed information in the Music Genome Project, the station seeds and Thumbs feedback you have given, and feedback given by other listeners under similar conditions.

We hope that the music Pandora plays will be just what you wanted, but occasionally Pandora will surprise you. When it's a welcome surprise give the song a Thumbs Up. Otherwise give it a Thumbs Down. This will help make your stations play more music that you like.

You can also use Pandora Modes to customize your station experience when you're listening on our website or your mobile device. Pick from different modes like Crowd Faves, Discovery and Deep Cuts.

Thumbs given in a specific mode will guide the station in that direction. For example, if you prefer to hear the hits, and not much new music, listen under Crowd Faves and use Thumbs to direct your station.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

This being said, if you believe you are hearing wildly out of place tracks on one of your stations, we are happy to help look into it further.

The next time it happens, please write us back with the following:

Thanks for the help!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

SBacklin
Local Performer

Sure thing.  I'm more than happy to try and help resolve stuff like this.  It makes it better for everyone.  It might take time as I mainly use Pandora when I'm driving and surely won't be stopping in the middle of the road to snap a pic of my head unit. LOL.  

It's happened I'd say 4 times in the last month so I'm hoping the trend continues just so that I can get the information you need and maybe the engineers can figure out what the X factor is.

-Steve

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@SBacklin If you are unable to grab a screenshot, just make sure to give the out of place track that plays a Thumbs Down.

I'll make sure to keep an eye out for your next message. 

Thanks again for all your help with this!

0 Kudos

VictoriaTori
Local Performer

I must not understand... I like a song on another genre or station and now it's played on an unrelated station.  If I dislike a song on a station, I don't hear it on any station.  I like country and R&B.  I like George Strait, but don't want to hear him when I'm tuned into Usher.  I want to hear Amarillo by Morning when I'm in the country mood, but if I dislike it on my Adele station, next time I look up the song, it'll indicate I don't like it.  I love them both, but want Adele to stay in her lane, and George, his.  🙂

Unfortunately I've started listening to another streaming service. Regrettably, their selection isn't as big as Pandora. 

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@VictoriaTori Thumbs are station specific - giving a thumb rating on one station should not affect any of your other stations.

To clarify, are you having issues with wildly out of place tracks playing on one of your stations?

If so, the next time this happens, can you please give that out of place track a thumbs down and then write me back with the following?

Thanks for working with me on this.

0 Kudos

Nickjshelton
Local Performer

We use Pandora for Business. Our player is set to quickmix, and we update the quickmix by logging into pandora.com. 

Currently selected in our QuickMix is "New and Old Soul." Yet, without failure, Garth Brooks or George Straight plays every third song. In fact, I can completely alter the quickmix selections, and those country songs will continue to play. 

Please help.

0 Kudos

snktal
Underground

Hello,

I've experienced a very similar thing as others have described above. One day out of the blue, about 3 weeks ago, suddenly out of nowhere, stations that have been curated over 10 years were not only playing songs that I've never heard before and did not match the station's vibe but were actually not playing any of the "thumbed up" songs at all. As if something changed in the Pandora formula, and overnight the station became essentially a stranger's station, not a personalized one. I couldn't explain what caused it, when I decided to google it and stumbled upon this thread, where many people around the same time (end of April, early May) experienced the exact same thing! What's going on Pandora? I don't want to have to change, but I feel like I've lost years of curating effort. Has any fix been determined?? Please advise.

AlyssaPandora

Hi there, @Nickjshelton. 👋

Quickmix is also another term for shuffle on different devices.

Could you share which stations you're typically using in your shuffle selection when this happens? 

Let me know, and we can take a deeper look to see what's happening. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Moderator

Let's talk music in Community Chat