cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hearing out of place tracks on station

hornet02
Local Performer

Was taken here from another link that said that thread was closed and the issue resolved. For at least the last 3 days my kids Disney the lion king channel has been going way off channel. Lots of spiritual music, touching calm liquid mind,Enya, Neal Schon bandelero, Weird show tunes now where near associated with anything Disney. As a parent I’m concerned with other threads mentioning explicit songs showing up. 

Labels (2)
107 Replies

AdamPandora

@morrighan42 The next time it happens, please give the out of place track that plays a thumbs down and write us back with the following:

• The name of the station you were listening to: Yoshida Brothers Radio
  • The date/time the out of place track(s) played
  • The name(s) of the out of place artist(s) on the station.
  • The title(s) of the out of place track(s) that played.
  • Were you able to give the out of place track(s) a Thumbs down?
  • Were you listening using a Pandora Mode like Crowd Faves, Discovery or Deep Cuts?

Also if possible, please grab a screenshot of the out of place track that plays, and send that in a reply to this message.

Thanks for the help!

Adam | Community Moderator

Let's share music in the Music + Podcasts

0 Kudos

Yowza
Local Performer

I don’t have any “bad seed” songs, and I am in the “my station” mode yet I am getting annoying out of place music on my stations that I have had for 12 years. 
what have you done Pandora and when will you fix it?!

AdamPandora

@Yowza The next time it happens, please give the out of place track that plays a thumbs down and write us back with the following:

• The name of the station you were listening to:
  • Were you listening using a Pandora Mode like Crowd Faves, Discovery or Deep Cuts?

Also if possible, please grab a screenshot of the out of place track that plays, and send that in a reply to this message.

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos

wapricenc
Local Performer

This is a recurring problem - I keep getting jazz and have downvoted multiple times!!

2 examples within the last 30 min:

• The name of the station you were listening to: Bach Prelude
  • The date/time the out of place track(s) played: 3/28/22 - 10:07 AND 10:34
  • The name(s) of the out of place artist(s) on the station: Kenny Dorham AND Sonny Rollins
  • The title(s) of the out of place track(s) that played. 'Sign Off' AND 'Three little words'
  • Were you able to give the out of place track(s) a Thumbs down? Yes and Yes
  • Were you listening using a Pandora Mode like Crowd Faves, Discovery or Deep Cuts? Deep cuts

Moderator Edit: Removed Personal Info

AdamPandora

@wapricenc It looks like your station was created based off of the track Bach Prelude by Ornette Coleman.

Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 8.24.01 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-03-28 at 8.24.10 AM.png

Ornette Coleman is a jazz artist, which would explain why those jazz tracks have been playing on your station.

I recommend deleting that station, and instead create a new station based off a different composer, or track you'd actually like it to exemplify.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos

caldella
Diamond in the Rough

This issue is not solved. I concur with other users that this is an increasing problem that seems to be happening the last month or so. In particular, it seems to be throwing thumbs ups from other channels into a different unrelated station. This is not Pandora's normal system recommending things that are similar. I first noticed it on stations I hadn't played in a while but am now seeing it across all. It will randomly throw in a thumbed-up track from a completely different channel. I am not using shuffle or thumbprint mode, either. Something has glitched out with the Pandora system.

See linked images below from the past month.

Image 1. I had a rave/techno song from my The Night station show up in my station meant only for songs from musicals. This style of music isn't close at all. I also had an Elton John tune show up in here, which was a thumbed-up track from my Queen Radio station.

Image 2-3: A track thumbed up from my Emiliana Torrini station that showed up on a medieval music station of mine, with a screenshot of one of the suitable medieval tunes to show they don't share any characteristics. If there's anything similar between this song and any other song on the station, then Pandora clearly hasn't set up one of the song's notes correctly. They're completely different eras, let alone styles. The piano/saxophone/etc. used in the blues song didn't even exist in medieval Europe, so I don't see why it would show up in a station dedicated to that.

Image 4: A track from my soundtracks station showing up on my Enya/Celtic just today. It's a full orchestra, bombastic and dramatic piece that shows up in the middle of Celtic songs (largely featuring female vocal leads). Not similar.

EDIT: I've now also had 2 thumbed-up tracks from my Ambient/Meditative station pop up on my Beneath the Starry Night radio.

EDIT #2 03/30: Yet another Emiliana Torrini playlist song on my medieval station. You can also see that the Emiliana Torrini radio and my The Night radio are showing in my recently played, despite the fact that I have not listened to these two stations recently. It's like it's thinking it's playing one station right in the middle of another, even though it still says it's on the first.

Again, these out of place tunes are all thumbed-up tracks from other stations of mine or from the same artist and album as them.

As you can see, this is not just an occasional recommendation that doesn't quite match what the user wants. It's repeatedly blending in thumbs-ups from other stations whether or not they fit. I thought thumbs downing was solving it, but now it's happening with more frequency.

Techno/rave music in a musical themed stationTechno/rave music in a musical themed stationJazz/contemporary music in  a medieval music stationJazz/contemporary music in a medieval music stationA typical medieval station tune, showing no similar featuresA typical medieval station tune, showing no similar featuresA tune from my soundtrack-based station showing up in my Enya & Celtic stationA tune from my soundtrack-based station showing up in my Enya & Celtic station

wrong-songs5.jpg

Yet another song form Emiliana Torrini radio playing on my medieval channel

0 Kudos

wapricenc
Local Performer
Thank you - that could explain it.

AdamPandora

Always happy to help, @wapricenc. 😁

0 Kudos

surearrow
Local Performer

I've been a free user for many years, but recently my cultivated soft 'Spanish Classical Guitar' radio (no vocals) has been contaminated with BAG PIPE (ARG!) music, Scottish vocals, and Irish folk vocal type music!  Before this, I was ready to sign on as a paid member, but reading all the complaints about cross music contamination in Pandora's stations, I'm seriously considering other paid music options--NOT Pandora!

Am I going to sacrifice all my YEARS of thumbs up/down music by starting all over a new 'Spanish Classical Guitar Radio'?

I've noticed that in the recent past, Pandora had grown consistently in offering "off-genre" music to all my other radios in my profile.  Why do they do this?  Is their music count that limited?  How do I fix this?  Move on to another company?

-K

My well cultivated soft 'Spanish Classical Guitar' radio has been contaminated with BAG PIPE music!!!

I was ready to upgrade my Pandora account--not now!  I've lost years of thumbs up/down music on my most listened to, beloved station on Pandora.  All gone!

I'm heart broken.

Moderator Edit: Merged posts

0 Kudos

dltheisinger
Underground

This is happening all the time now with my 80s Country station. It’s been fine for years and suddenly every third track is way off. I double checked my seeds and thumbs up and have no clue why this is happening. Please help! 

AdamPandora

@surearrow I took a look at your account, and the only station I'm seeing named Spanish Classical Guitar was created for the first time 2 weeks ago:

Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 7.32.23 AM.png

You mentioned you have lost years of thumb ratings on your station, so I'm wondering if you are referring to a different station.

The next time this happens, please give the out of place track that plays a thumbs down and write us back with the following:

• The name of the station you were listening to: 

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos

Yowza
Local Performer

It’s two of my custom stations that I have on shuffle. it happens every day. I always thumbs down. I’ve had these stations for 12 years. No I’m not going to screen shot etc… Pandora clearly has a glitch in its system. You know this.  Look at all the complaints. Fix it please. 

0 Kudos

morrighan42
Underground

Adam, I have given a Thumbs down over 10 times today, at least one artist I have given a Thumbs down 4 times in the last 2 days. Several times I have given 2-5 Thumbs down in a row.

I am not listening in Crowd Faves, Discovery or Deep Cuts. I listen to Pandora while at work so I really don't have time to stop and take screen shots every time this happens.

morrighan42_0-1648670372006.png

I have given a thumbs down far more than I've given a thumbs up and it seems like Pandora has responded by making more frequent unwanted suggestions.

morrighan42_1-1648670438923.png

Is this something that Pandora is going to work on fixing or not?

AdamPandora

@morrighan42 Thanks for following up.

Pandora stations adapt with every song to try to find the right music for you. It does this by using a combination of the detailed information in the Music Genome Project, the station seeds and Thumbs feedback you have given along with feedback given by other listeners under similar conditions.

There are a number of variables that come into play when selecting the next song:

• The complete range of musical attributes for all of the songs we have by the artist you used to create the station. For example, for a station based on Brian Eno, you might hear rock songs and ambient music. You might try creating a station from one of the artist's songs instead (e.g. Lucky Star by Madonna). This should make the station much more specific.

• The type of feedback you've given on the station (all the Thumbs Up and Thumbs Down ratings) and any additional artist or song seeds you've added to the station. Pandora lumps all this together and tries to determine what the best musical match is based on our musical analysis.

To improve your stations, here are a couple of things to try:

1. Thumb down tracks that do not fit. This will prevent that song from playing again, and Pandora will learn more about what you don't want to hear.
  2. Make sure each of the thumbs-up you've given fits in with the type of station you are trying to create. If not, then remove that thumbs-up rating from the station page.
  3. When listening from a computer, a mobile device or the Sonos app, you can access Pandora Modes to customize your station experience. You can pick different modes like Crowd Faves, Discovery and Deep Cuts.

If you need help editing your stations, let me know.

Of course, Pandora Premium subscribers can also create custom playlists in order to have complete control of what they hear on Pandora. If you want more information about that, let me know.

Thanks so much for listening!

0 Kudos

Princess6
Underground

Christmas music is randomly playing on one of my stations. I removed everything Christmas related. I even thumbs down ever Christmas song that plays but they keep coming. (I actually think I hear more Christmas music than I did during the Holidays.) I did notice that when I view the station on my desktop opposed to the app a Christmas station appears that I can not remove. I don’t see this station on the app but it’s there when I view the station on the desktop. I tried to remove it but when I click delete it removes my entire station and not the Christmas Radio Variations Add-on.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@Princess6 What is the name of the station you are listening to when Christmas music plays?

Can you please send me a screenshot of the next Christmas song that plays as well?

Thanks for working with me on this. 🤝

0 Kudos

wooper4000
Underground

I cannot figure out why my Pandora keeps playing country music. No offense to people who like it but I do not. I have downvoted every country song that has come up but they keep bringing me more country music. I have no playlists with country music, I have no thumbed up any country songs, I don't know what else to do. Please help.

AdamPandora

@wooper4000 I moved your post over to this existing thread: Hearing out of place tracks on station

The next time it happens, please give the out of place track that plays a thumbs down and write us back with the following:

• The name of the station you were listening to

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos

dltheisinger
Underground

AdamPandora,

It seems there are enough people having this same issue that it doesn't need to be addressed at an individual level. I've had to thumbs down about 1 out of every 3 songs on a station that was stable for over a decade until recently. It's honestly just not worth listening to it anymore.

Maybe the individual-level solution is that I should use a different music service since Pandora can't seem to fix this issue.

dltheisinger

AdamPandora

@dltheisinger I definitely understand your frustration.

If you'd prefer not to invest any more time, we totally understand.

If you'd like to work on this a bit more, I'd be happy to help look into this further.

Since it sounds like it is happening on a single station that you are listening to, my guess is that an additional seed was added by accident.

If that is not the case, then I am happy to create a ticket with our engineering team so they can take a look at your station.

The next time it happens, please give the out of place track that plays a thumbs down and write us back with the following:

• The name of the station you were listening to

Thanks again for working with me on this. 🤝

0 Kudos