cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More female artists on station

NCTX
Local Performer

Why doesn't the station called Texas/Red Dirt Radio ever play any female country music artists? Do they not exists?

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@NCTX Nice to see you around the community. 😄

There's not currently a way to limit stations to only play songs with female (or male) vocals. However, we’re definitely interested in hearing feedback from our listeners as to whether we should create a user interface for advanced users that would allow you to choose the musical attributes you like (or dislike) with more precision.

I recommend creating a feature request for your idea here. 💡

Meanwhile, here's a suggestion: try making a station based on a particular song that exemplifies the sound you're looking for. Stations based on an artist name will usually cover a broader spectrum as Pandora tries to cover the artist's full discography.

You can then add multiple songs to a station by using our Add Variety feature. If you don't like how the station is progressing, you can edit the station.

However, if you're still dissatisfied with your experience, remember that you can always listen to content on-demand.

If you're a Pandora Premium subscriber, just search for a song or album and hit play.

If you're a free listener or Pandora Plus subscriber, search for a song or album and tap its name in the results list. This will take you to a backstage page, where you can press play to initiate a complimentary session of Pandora Premium.

Hope this helps! 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@NCTX Nice to see you around the community. 😄

There's not currently a way to limit stations to only play songs with female (or male) vocals. However, we’re definitely interested in hearing feedback from our listeners as to whether we should create a user interface for advanced users that would allow you to choose the musical attributes you like (or dislike) with more precision.

I recommend creating a feature request for your idea here. 💡

Meanwhile, here's a suggestion: try making a station based on a particular song that exemplifies the sound you're looking for. Stations based on an artist name will usually cover a broader spectrum as Pandora tries to cover the artist's full discography.

You can then add multiple songs to a station by using our Add Variety feature. If you don't like how the station is progressing, you can edit the station.

However, if you're still dissatisfied with your experience, remember that you can always listen to content on-demand.

If you're a Pandora Premium subscriber, just search for a song or album and hit play.

If you're a free listener or Pandora Plus subscriber, search for a song or album and tap its name in the results list. This will take you to a backstage page, where you can press play to initiate a complimentary session of Pandora Premium.

Hope this helps! 

0 Kudos

bp4437
Opening Act

I ran into the same problem with stations like 90's Alternative. The station rarely plays female artists even when I only had a few thumbs ups. I think the algorithm notices differences between male and female artists and will favor the former if the station seeds only list male artists.

It looks like Texas/Red Dirt doesn't include any women in the station seeds. You could create your own version of Texas/Red Dirt and change the mix of seeds.

Pandora, can you ask the curators to keep an eye on the station seeds? A quick test is to create a station in a genre with many successful female artists but none in the station seeds and see what happens.

0 Kudos

waleigh61
Local Performer

Can anyone please tell me why the Joni Mitchell station is dominated by CSNY, Cat Stevens and other male artists? I get the relationship, but there are also plenty of woman singer song writers who qualify to be in this station, but I never hear them. That this station is dominated bye male music and seems extraordinarily sexist. Here are some examples to include in a Joni Mitchell station, because you seen clueless: Joan Baez, Sandy Denny, Joan Armatrading, Patty Griffin, Judy Collins, Ricki Lee Jones, K.D.Lang,  Carole King, Fiona Apple, Buffy Saint Marie, Natalie Merchant, Aimee Mann, Cat Power, Patti Smith, Tracy Chapman. To name a few. Please open your lens as to who would be played on a Joni Mitchell Station, and please don't be so sexist about it. Thank you.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@waleigh61 I moved your post to this thread since you are reporting similar feedback: More female artists on station

Check out the accepted solution to this thread for some tips on how to get the most out of your stations.

You may also want to remove some of the Thumbs Up ratings you've given on your Joni Mitchell Radio station - I can see you've given a Thumbs Up rating to some tracks by the male artists you referenced in your message:

Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 5.25.00 AM.png

Hope this helps! 

0 Kudos

dhtinthehizzee
Local Performer

So, I realized today that I never hear my favorite female comedians on TCR, and since it's a genre station, it wont let em edit or seed. Is this by design?

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@dhtinthehizzee I moved your post over to this existing thread: More female artists on station

While it is true that you are unable to add variety to genre stations such as Today's Comedy Radio, I do have some recommendations for you.

Try making a station based on a one of your favorite female comedians, or a particular comedy skit by them. 

Hope this helps! 

0 Kudos

KP25
Local Performer

WHY are there ONLY male comedians on the sleep comedy channel?  There are some very funny women out there who need and deserve exposure and I’m sick of only hearing male voices. 

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@KP25 I moved your post over to this existing thread: More female artists on station

I recommend creating a feature request for your idea here. 💡

In the meantime, try making a station based on a one of your favorite female comedians, or a particular comedy skit by them. 

Hope this helps! 

0 Kudos

Guynamedscott
Local Performer

Is there a way to select an artist, and get a mixture of similar artists from both/all genders, rather than just the gender of the selected artist?

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Guynamedscott I moved your post over to this existing thread: More female artists on station

Check out the accepted solution to this thread for more information around this.

Thanks for being a part of the Community!

0 Kudos

barrynash
Local Performer

I have at least  a dozen stations chosen based on women performers, but the shuffle mode will play at least a dozen men and make groups for every woman who comes up—every time, for years. Don’t pretend the algorithm isn’t tilted from your end.

tjack59635
Local Performer

40% of my channels are female artists yet Pandora seldom plays two female artists in a row when I shuffle my stations. A lot of times I have to select a female artist’s channel to get Pandora to play females artists at all. Apparently someone needs to re-write the logic of Pandora’s “shuffle”algorithym

0 Kudos

barrynash
Local Performer

I've found one reason for the "No female artists" problem--besides what it seems self-evident is bad thinking at Pandora's end--it will at least moderate the problem if you get off the "Play most recent stations" setting, which multiplies the issue. Get of that and at least there's a somewhat fresh start.

0 Kudos

kbazinet68
Local Performer

I have been listening to the new hard rock station for at least an hour and haven't heard a single female artist. Where are they? Plush, Pretty Reckless, Halestorm, Evenescence? No one new you can play? Only angsty young men are putting out new rock? 

0 Kudos

pyrophoria8
Local Performer

I’m here. Metal Queen

I’ve been played on the industrial station, NIN, Marilyn Manson, etc.

Girl power 🌈🤘🖤

0 Kudos