cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RESOLVED (05/09/22): Question Marks in Song Title

MTTech
Underground

Song titles that are normally in different languages ex. Korean, Russian, etc. are displayed as question marks. Titles used to display perfectly until recently. Pandora App version: 2201.1 (Android) and 2203.1 (iPad iOS)

Russian Song (Android Auto)Russian Song (Android Auto)

Korean K-Pop (Android App)Korean K-Pop (Android App)

Korean K-Pop (iPad iOS App)Korean K-Pop (iPad iOS App)

Labels (2)
24 Replies

Mth908
Underground

Found a minor bug with the Android app (2201.1, Android 12). I started a Måneskin station and found the å was replaced with a question mark, but only in the artist name on the track that was playing (not the station name). Screenshot:

Screenshot_20220414-195617.png

mod edit: changed title for clarity

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @Mth908. 👋

Thanks so much for reporting this and for providing that helpful screenshot. I have shared this with our engineering and curation teams on your behalf. If you notice any others like this, please don't hesitate to let us know.

In the meantime, we appreciate your patience during this process. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024
0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@MTTech I was unable to reproduce this issue on my end - I'm showing track titles for those tracks above are displaying correctly.

I've enabled a trace on your account to help us better understand what's happening.

For this trace to be useful, we'll need you to run through our troubleshooting steps:

Let me know how it goes.

0 Kudos

MTTech
Underground

Hi, I've tried the troubleshooting steps. Issues still persist.

0 Kudos

yurial
Underground

@AdamPandora 

I'm having exactly the same issue. Pandora 2203.1 on iPhone SE running iOS 13.4.1. The problem appeared about a week ago, reinstalling the app didn't help.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@MTTech @yurial Thank you for the update.

I created a ticket with our engineering team and passed along your feedback so they can further investigate.

Thanks for your patience in the meantime!

0 Kudos

MTTech
Underground

@AdamPandora I also had my girlfriend download Pandora on her phone, and the same issue happens with her as well. So far, I've noticed the issue happening on my phone (Android), girlfriend's phone (Android), and my iPad (iOS). Looks like @yurial is using an iPhone SE so also iOS. This seems to be happening across all device types except desktop website of Pandora.

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the additional information, @MTTech.

We appreciate you bringing this to our attention. 

0 Kudos

bastion72
Local Performer

I have the same issue but with Spanish words with letters that have accents over them, or the upside down questions mark and the ñ as well. So, the group Maná appears like Man? the word mañana appears like ma?ana. Any letter that doesn't fit in the english alphabet has the questions mark in its place.

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@bastion72 Can you please send me a screenshot of what you are seeing?

Additionally, if this is happening on your phone, can you send over a bit more info about your device?

• Model:
  • Carrier:
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone):
  • Build number (Settings > About Phone):
  • Android Security Patch Level, if noted on your device (Settings > About Phone):
  • Pandora version:
    • If you can open Pandora, go to Profile, then select Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the screen for the version number.
    • If you can't open Pandora: from Android Home screen > Android Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Find Pandora

Are you connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data when this is happening?

Have you identified any other patterns or notable information?

Thanks for working with me on this. 🤝

bastion72
Local Performer

Here's the info you need from me. Good luck with the hunt.

• Model: Samsung Galaxy S9+ 
  • Carrier: T-Mobile
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone): 10
  • Build number (Settings > About Phone):QP1A. 190711.020.G965USQU9FUL1
  • Android Security Patch Level, if noted on your device (Settings > About Phone): DECEMBER 1, 2021
  • Pandora version: 2201.1

Are you connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data when this is happening? Both WiFi and cellular.

Have you identified any other patterns or notable information? I have my phone connected to my car, 2013 Audi A4 with MMI, via Bluetooth and it is passing along the same issue to the car display. The song on the display is called ¿Dónde Jugarán Los Niños? by the group Maná. On the second pic is a screenshot of the issue. The group is the same, but the song is called Eres Mi Religión.

20220417_184747.jpgScreenshot_20220420-201521_Pandora.jpg

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@bastion72 Your feedback has now been added to the ticket we have open with the engineers who are looking into this.

rickemmanuel1
Local Performer

Same issue here with a Samsung A32 with latest firmware. Pandora version is 2201.1. Accents, cedilles, tildes, etc. in song titles appear as question marks. This started happening about a week ago. Others in household with different devices are experiencing the same issue.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@rickemmanuel1 Your feedback has now been added to the ticket we have open with the engineers who are looking into this.

0 Kudos

LeScooterBug
Local Performer

I can also confirm this is an issue for me. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3 with the latest firmware (on Verizon). Pandora is version 2201.1 for me, as well.

Screenshot_20220422-152011_Pandora.jpgScreenshot_20220422-152029_Pandora.jpg

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@LeScooterBug Your feedback has now been added to the ticket we have open with the engineers who are looking into this.

0 Kudos

DarkWing
Local Performer

With recent upgrade of pandora on iOS the song titles now have ? Marks where there should be an accented letter.  This was not like this before, very annoying.  This is with Spanish song titles, albums, etc.  

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@DarkWing I moved your post over to this existing thread: Question Marks in Song Title

Your feedback has now been added to the ticket we have open with the engineers who are looking into this.

0 Kudos

yurial
Underground

@AdamPandora - new information about this bug. I've just discovered that the title/name appear correctly when a song is *reloaded* (by pressing the circular reload button). Since this has been happening across multiple client platforms and not triggered by app upgrades, this is a server-side Unicode conversion issue. This new information isolates the problem really well - to see the bug your dev team just needs to compare API calls that show/load song metadata in regular vs reload code paths. Please add this to the ticket.