cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thumbs left on one station will play on others

oshw8023
Local Performer

My thumbs are starting to bleed over to my other stations. In other words, when I make a brand new station, it will play music I've thumbed from all my other stations. IE: Three Days Grace and Tom Petty will play on a Goo Goo Dolls station. What's the easiest way to fix this problem?

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

Labels (2)
37 Replies

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@oshw8023 Welcome to the community!

To clarify, thumbs are station specific - so any tracks you thumb up/down on one station won't actually affect your other stations.

With that being said, here are some tips to help you get the most out of the stations you create if you are running into issues with the selections playing. 

Enjoy the music! 

oshw8023
Local Performer

I have read that article. It used to be that way, but hasn't with my account in quite awhile. Yesterday, I decided to test that out and started clearing most of my thumbs from all my stations. I am now getting more variety on most of my stations. Here's another example of what was happening. I created a custom R&B station with my favorite artists. Mariah Carey was one of those artists with a ton of thumbs on that station. When I would listen to any 90s Pandora station, most of those thumbed songs would play every 4th or 5th song on that 90s station. Not sure if there are more people experiencing this problem. 

machiatto
Local Performer

I am having this same problem. I have a very long running Joe Bonamassa station. But now Joe Bonamassa plays on every station I have created regardless of Genre. This is true for other artists as well. I can thumbs down Joe Bonamassa on my Wailing Jennies station all day long, but he keeps popping back up. Popa Chubby will play on my Chris Stapleton station. Chris stapleton will pop up on my Patty Griffin station. Thumbs down on those artists will not stop them from playing.

I have deleted my stations down to just a few, but as I build them back up, they start to bleed again. Is there a way to completely reset my thumbs? If I delete ALL my stations will that do it? Do I need to create a new account and start fresh?

The response above that thumbs are station specific may be the intent, but that is NOT the behavior.

nharper
Local Performer

I agree with the others below. That is not the way Pandora is behaving.

A few months week ago, I started a new rap station based on the artist NF. None of my stations had ever played him before, he was a totally new artist to me recommended by a friend.

A few weeks ago, I started another station based on one song: Rewrite the Stars from the musical movie The Greatest Showman. One of the first songs recommended on that station? Music by NF.

So I appreciate that Pandora thumbs up are supposed to be separate from each other for each station, which is great. But my stations appear to be bleeding over too.

blues-sevenfold
Diamond in the Rough

Well, if I start to hear rock music or blues music on my Nature Sounds Radio, I'll know that there's a problem!! Most of my stations focus on rock and/or blues, but I've recently started to develop an interest in nature sounds. I also have a Halloween station that mixes Halloween rock and Halloween sounds.

0 Kudos

Alexk
Local Performer

It seems many of us are experiencing this problem. I just created a station the other day and maybe liked 3 songs, its playing a lot of music by other artists not specifically added by me not to mention says there is 33 thumbs up, which I checked and are songs I've thumbs up on other stations. You might want to check the algorithm that makes thumbed songs station specific.

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Alexk I recommend checking out these tips to help get the most out of your stations, and bring in more of the music you actually want to hear. 

Thanks for being a part of the community! 

0 Kudos

Tibbers40CDR
Local Performer
So to clarify, you guys are refusing to acknowledge that this very real issue many people are facing is real, and your solution is to tell us out how to customize our stations (which is something we're all already aware of how to do)? We know how to get music we want to hear, but when we are thumbsing on a Post Malone station, we shouldn't be hearing his music on our Darius Rucker station. This is a very real problem and needs to be addressed. I understand if there isn't much you can do about it, but at the very least this needs to be reported as a serious bug. It's frustrating.

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Tibbers40CDR Our support team took a look at the Pandora account your community profile is registered with, and mentioned they did not see any Darius Rucker station created. 

They will be contacting you separately via email to look into your station and gather more details from you.

Keep an eye out for their message! 

0 Kudos

eeetc50
Local Performer

As much as I love my AC/DC station when I work out that is not the time I want to hear Imagine by John Lennon or Hotel California.  As active users of Pandora we know how to customize our stations with thumbs up/ thumbs down.  What is the fix Pandora is working on so our stations stay separate, unless the algorithm makes sense to hear the same artists on multiple stations?

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@eeetc50 We use all of the feedback you've given on the station (all the Thumbs and any additional seeds) to determine what to play next.

You may want to review the Thumbs and seeds you have added to your AC/DC station to make sure you haven't thumbed up any tracks that could possibly bring in songs such as Hotel California.

To improve your stations, make sure each of the Thumbs Up or seeds you've added fit with the type of station you want and remove those that don't.

To edit your station on the web, go to My Collection, sort your collection by Stations, and then select the name of the station you'd like to edit.

Then:

1. You can remove a station seed from your station by scrolling down to the Station Created From section. You can delete a particular seed by tapping the ellipsis (or three dots), or by hovering over it and selecting Delete.
  2. To delete a thumbed track, scroll down to the Thumb History section of this page. By default, this section will show your Thumbed Up tracks first. If you'd like to see your Thumbs Down, click on the Thumbs Down icon. Next, either select the ellipsis next to the Thumb or hover your cursor over the name of the track to reveal a hidden menu. As before, select Delete.

Now you should hear more of that particular artist in the station, though we do limit the number of songs by a particular artist played each hour due to licensing agreements.

As for the Thumbs or seeds you removed, keep in mind that you can always create new stations based on those songs or artists.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

The last suggestion I have for you would be to create a new station based off of one of your favorite tracks by AC/DC.

Artists with large discographies will typically bring in a broader scope of music if you create the station based off of the specific artist/group. Creating a station based off of a specific song will help to better guide it in the direction you want it to go.

Hope this helps! 

PatDevlin
Local Performer

It seems that for me, the Calexico station has been the station where songs not in the genre appear to be collecting. My other stations seem to be collecting the appropriate tunes. Is there any way to move thumbed songs from one Collection to another?

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @PatDevlin thanks for posting!

There isn't a way to move thumbs from one station to another currently, thumbs are station specific and shouldn't affect other stations. For now, you can edit thumbs, if you'd like steps on how to do this, just let me know. 

In the meantime, would you mind giving me a couple of examples of songs that don't fit the station? Have you thumbed these songs down?

Let me know and I can take a closer look. 

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

electricsoul99
Underground

My thumbs up on one station are being on other stations and it's annoying. Trey Songz shouldn't be played on my Lil Wayne or T.I. station. And H.E.R. shouldn't be playing on my Rick Ross station. 

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@electricsoul99 Nice to see you around the community.

Thumb ratings are actually station specific - so thumbing tracks on one station will not affect the way any of your other stations play music.

With that being said, i don't believe it is out of the question for the artists you referenced to play on those stations.

I recommend checking out this help page article for some tips on how you can better guide your stations to playing more of the music you actually want to hear.  

0 Kudos

electricpurple3
Local Performer

Im about to cancel my Pandora subscription. Every account I make, likes from one station will play on another station, and it's very annoying. My likes on Chris Brown station shouldn't be playing on Trina station. Chris Brown, Trey Songz, Jhene Aiko, and H.E.R. shouldnt be playing on Trina station. You people need to fix this.

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@electricpurple3 Nice to see you around the community.

To clarify, thumbs are station specific. Thumb ratings you provide on one station will not affect the way music is played on any of your other collected stations.

Pandora stations adapt with every song to try to find the right music for you. It does this by using a combination of the detailed information in the Music Genome Project, the station seeds and Thumbs feedback you have given along with feedback given by other listeners under similar conditions.

There are a number of variables that come into play when selecting the next song:

• The complete range of musical attributes for all of the songs we have by the artist you used to create the station. For example, for a station based on Brian Eno, you might hear rock songs and ambient music. You might try creating a station from one of the artist's songs instead (e.g. Lucky Star by Madonna). This should make the station much more specific.

• The type of feedback you've given on the station (all the Thumbs Up and Thumbs Down ratings) and any additional artist or song seeds you've added to the station. Pandora lumps all this together and tries to determine what the best musical match is based on our musical analysis.

To improve your Trina station, here are a couple of things to try:

1. Thumb down tracks that do not fit. This will prevent that song from playing again, and Pandora will learn more about what you don't want to hear.
  2. Make sure each of the thumbs-up you've given fits in with the type of station you are trying to create. If not, then remove that thumbs-up rating from the station page.
  3. When listening from a computer or a mobile device, you can access Pandora Modes to customize your station experience. You can pick different modes like Crowd Faves, Discovery and Deep Cuts.

Hope this helps! 

0 Kudos

TheDragonsDesig
Opening Act

So, @AdamPandora to be clear, (as my post on a similar subject seems to have dissappeared)

Thumbs up is NOT a way to customize stations if you have varried and diverse channels and do not want your rap bleeding into your dubstep, your cowboy music showing up on your accapella. 

I find that if i so much as add just one thumb up then ANY AND ALL other thumbs will start showing up on that station.

I will work on purging all my thumbsup from my stations and try to restrict my self to just adding artists/songs and DOWNVOTE only

Ive got at least 12 stations fubar with thumb bleed through

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@TheDragonsDesig To clarify, thumbs are station specific - so any tracks you thumb up/down on one station won't actually affect your other stations.

If you need some tips on how to get your stations playing more of the type of music you actually want to hear, check out this help page article: Tips to improve stations

Hope this helps! 🤝

0 Kudos