cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Variety Station Question / Help

russelcrowe2233
Local Performer

I created a variety station with a bunch of different genres of music. It has good variety but it plays the same genre song 4 times in a row and then switches to a different genre. 4 country songs, 4 classic rock, 4 rap, etc. Is there a way to have everything play randomly? 

6 Replies

@russelcrowe2233  good evening to you. I wish I could assist you, however, I do know who could help you with this. @AlyssaPandora , @TannerPandora , @AdamPandora  and @ErickPandora . These four are Pandora's moderators. Click on one of the name links, post your question to one of them and they will be more than happy to assist you with your problem. Hope all works out for ya. Take care and stay safe. 

MOHLovesAlaska
0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@russelcrowe2233 Nice to see you around the Community. 👋🏽

To clarify, are you shuffling your stations when this happens? 

Or are you listening to one station, and it begins venturing off into different genres when it shouldn't?

Let me know.

0 Kudos

russelcrowe2233
Local Performer

@AdamPandora  I am listening to one station. I added a variety to the station with a bunch of artist that are all different genres. When listening to the station I get 4 songs of one genre and then it switches to a different genre. Instead of playing a random mix of all the artists in the variety it will play 4 country songs, then play 4 metal songs, then 4 rap songs, etc. I want the variety of genres but would like it to not play the same genre 4 times in a row then switch. I'd like it to be more randomized

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, @russelcrowe2233. 👋

Thanks so much for providing that info.  As a general rule, stations seem to work best with no more than 3-4 seeds added.

You might find that Pandora works best if you create multiple stations with different artists or songs. From there, you can utilize our shuffle feature to hear a variety of musical styles in one listening session. Shuffle plays a one-song set from a random station that you've included in your mix and then moves onto another song (from a different station). This is significantly different from listening to a single Pandora station.

If you need help using or editing your Shuffle, let us know.

Hopefully this will help you to get the most from your Pandora experience. 

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024
0 Kudos

sillybapx
Local Performer

Thank you for asking this!  This is literally my biggest gripe with Pandora.  I have a friend who said it's a more "shuffled" experience if you have more fine-tuned stations and then may a shuffled playlist of those stations.  

Another answer in this thread said stations work best with 3-4 seeds max!  (I'm guilty of collecting "variety" and having stations with 10 or 15 seeds... and then having a listening experience of 4 big band songs, followed by 4 house/techno songs, then 4 spanish guitar songs, then 4 classic rock, all day! ) 

Disclosure: friend and I are both die-hard pandora adherents, having found and played around with the Music Genome Project in roughly 2001, then using pandora and gifting each other the premium service every year since it was a thing you could buy!  We also share playlists and generally love to hear new music all the time!

0 Kudos

popeye2662
Local Performer

What's it called? I broke the matrix once by accident and got the station (alexa misheard me) that played random genres. Would go "super Mario bros then to Celtics, then to rock to techno the next song.... etc. Super random and I was loving it. Before I could get alexa to tell me what station it was playing... kid changed the station... Lost and can't find that station again ever since

0 Kudos