cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chromecast: Unable to cast to Google Home Devices

aidane33
Local Performer

I recently changed my subscription to a family plan. Immediately after doing so, I am unable to play music from my Google Home with Pandora as my default player. I am also unable to cast from my iPhone XR to the Home device. When attempting to cast I get an error saying, “Oops, we are unable to cast at this time.” I tried unlinking and re-linking my Pandora account in the Google Home app but this did not make a difference. Help! This is the only way I listen to Pandora at home. 

Moderator Edit: Changing title for clarity

Labels (1)
90 Replies

incite989
Local Performer

Same issue. Pretty amazing that paying for a premium plan actually breaks the service. Equally amazing that they seem to not care at all. Oh well, Spotify it is. 

amcallis
Underground

I had a similar problem on Android and it cleared up when I cleared my Pandora app's cache and storage.  If there's an iPhone option, worth trying that.  Or uninstall and reinstall the Pandora app on the phone.

Mookpsu
Opening Act

Thank you for the reply. I've tried all that and it has not worked. Just
curious, do you have a the free Pandora or a paid subscription? It seems
like the issue starts once you upgrade from the free app

Moderator Edit: Personal Information

0 Kudos

ebelenky
Local Performer

I don't think it matters if you're a paying customer or not. This is a Google issue, not Pandora. Google won't play Apple Music or Spotify either. It pulls up the screen with the song information on it as if it is going to start playing, but then just sits there frozen. You click on the play button, it starts for a split second and just stops. This can't be Pandora's fault, but rather a Google problem...

0 Kudos

Mookpsu
Opening Act

I actually don't have any issues casting anything other than Pandora
although I don't use Apple Music or Spotify since I already have Pandora
Premium & Amazon Music. Audacy & I Heart Radio both cast fine

Moderator Edit: Personal Information

Xcurly130x
Underground

Spotify works flawlessly So does I-heart radio app, Apple music, You Tube music, all off of Chromecast So if its "always my Internet and or devices" - Per Pandora Support! how is that possible? 

Also when I canceled the Premium Sub. and went back the the Plus it was way less problems but still here and there! so cant really blame google. 

kappadappa
Underground

To the people blaming Google and/or recommending clearing app caches or reinstalling - - have you read the multitude of previous replies here? Clearing cache or reinstalling does not fix the problem for most people here. And it's clearly not a Google problem.

Pandora casts fine for most people using the free version, but upgrading to a paid plan breaks casting. There's obviously a problem in Pandora's programming. 

Pit107
Opening Act

1) I don't have Apple Music, but Spotify works just fine on Chromecast

2) Even if it was an issue on Google's end, Pandora should work with them on making sure it's resolved, not just shrug their shoulders

3) But it's definitely not a Google issue.  Pandora support has acknowledged that there is an issue, though they're obviously lying about working on it:

Thanks so much for letting us know about this.

We are aware of this issue and are working on it. I've passed your info along to our engineers.

We really appreciate your patience in the meantime!
Unfortunately, I do not have a timeline available for a fix. We appreciate your continued patience as our engineers diligently work to resolve the issue.

With that said, please continue to update the app as new versions become available, since an upcoming version may contain the fix. Thanks again for your patience!

Note the quoted emails are from June, and it was broken long before that.

Mookpsu
Opening Act

Don't forget about this canned response

Sorry to hear those steps didn't help.

I'd like to report your issue to our engineering team. Can you send over a bit more info about your device?

• Model:
  • Carrier:
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone):
  • Build number (Settings > About Phone):
  • Android Security Patch Level, if noted on your device (Settings > About Phone):
  • Pandora version:
    • If you can open Pandora, go to Profile, then select Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the screen for the version number.
    • If you can't open Pandora: from Android Home screen > Android Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Find Pandora

Are you connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data when this is happening?

Have you identified any other patterns or notable information?

Let me know what you can find out.

amcallis
Underground

Mookspu - I was a free account chromecasting Pandora with no problems, then once I went paid premium subscription, immediately had the problem where I couldn't chromecast Pandora from android.  I could chromecast from other apps no problem.  I could click the chromecast icon in Pandora, could select which speaker or group to cast on, clicked it, the correct speaker(s) chimed, but then the Pandora app play and fwd/backward song buttons were greyed out.  I could not get any music to play.  I believe talking to the speakers, I could get Pandora to play.  Power cycling google homes and my Android did not clear up the problem.  I hadn't seen clear cache + clear storage (selection in the Pandora App Info screen) suggested in this thread, but those def. cleared it up for me.  I confirmed it still works today a day later.

Mookpsu
Opening Act

I just tried those fixes and still no luck, did the same thing it always does. It's def not my Chromecast because Amazon Music casts just fine. It's definitely an issue with the Pandora Android app because I can cast Pandora from my laptop with no issues. They know about it, they just choose to not fix it

eamhbm
Underground

Literally the exact same thing happened to me today... Subscribed to the family plan $$$, now can't play Pandora on any of my Google Home devices. 

What gives?? 

Seriously. 

I've really been hoping to keep the Pandora stations that I've been 'curating' for so long, but what in the world kind of bug is this :facepalm:

Moderator Edit: Format

Mookpsu
Opening Act
It's been an ongoing issue for at least the last year or two. Don't waste
your time going through tech support, you'll go through many email chains
with the last response being something like we will report this to our
engineering team and get back to you which doesn't happen. If you have a
Fire Stick or Google TV dongle it will recognize your pd subscription on
the app but no more casting once you decide to give them money every month.
Sad that they know about but choose to do nothing about it

eamhbm
Underground

Thank you for the reply, what a shame...

Mookpsu
Opening Act

If you're able to use one of the Pandora TV apps it will have all your saved stations once you sign in. I've been fine tuning mine for probably 10+ years and always do shuffle mode so I have my "perfect" radio station. It just **ahem** that if I start listening on my tablet in one part of the house I have to lose that feed if I want to listen on my TV which is connected to my stereo. That's the beauty of Chromecast!

0 Kudos

sdsd
Local Performer

Add me to the pile of disgruntled Pandora users.  Ever since two days ago, I'm now unable to Chromecast from Pandora.  It really s[]ck5... and as a result, I've been on Spotify and not Pandora.  This is a shame.  I've been a Pandora Premium subscriber for years, but it seems like the service is dying?  I'll wait for four weeks.  If a month has gone by from this date and there is no fix, I'll just assume that's it, and try to rebuild my music "stations" in Spotify.  Seeing as there are many people that have been posting about this problem for many months, I'm not feeling all that hopeful.

Edit:  D4^^N..  I've been a user since August 2006?  That is indeed a long time.  Fix yo s*&t, Pandora!

Second edit:  I remembered what one of the users said earlier in the thread.  So I uninstalled Pandora from my iPhone.  Completely deleted it and all of its data.  Reinstalled the app, logged back in... and now I'm able to Chromecast again.  I'm a Premium user.  I'm not sure if this will work for the person reading it, but good luck!

Moderator Edit: Format

Mookpsu
Opening Act

Just curious, did you upgrade to a paid subscription? It seems like when
you give them money they thank you by removing the ability to cast from
your phone or tablet

0 Kudos

sdsd
Local Performer

That's the thing that makes me different from some of the other users in this thread.  I never upgraded, because I have been a constant Premium subscriber from the first year I started with Pandora, and my subscription has never lapsed.  

I have 68 curated stations, so I'm glad the fix for me was just uninstall and reinstall.  😛

0 Kudos

Usysinc
Opening Act

Hello, I have been getting the Oops!,  message very frequently. I've rebooted everything and it's very persistent today. Pandora says it's connected to my two Chromecast device group but won't permit ghosts out the Play icon.

0 Kudos

Mita
Local Performer

Same issue. Pandora suddenly won't cast from either Android or iPhone.  It's the only app not working.  I've deleted and reinstalled, linked/unlinked from Google Home multiple times.  I haven't made any changes to my subscription.  It just stopped. At this point after being a loyal user over a decade, I'm thinking I need a refund and to quit.