cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Explicit Filter not working through Sonos

gduren
Underground

Hello, I've now had several instances where Pandora playing through my Sonos speakers plays explicit content.  Today it was "This Summer" by Maroon 5 with quite a few F-bombs with my 5 and 7yr olds listening. I have my Pandora account set to not allow explicit content and have my Sonos account setup to not allow explicit content.  Sonos' support page says their explicit content filter only works with Amazon Music and Apple Music.  A Sonos support forum response to someone else with the same issue said "Sorry you are getting explicit lyrics via Pandora. However, Sonos has no agreement with Pandora that would allow it to filter content."  Could you guys please get an agreement setup with Sonos to filter explicit content or someway make the Pandora setting work when playing through Sonos?  This is really a problem as I have quite a few Sonos speakers and have had guests over (with children) when explicit lyrics came on and I had to quickly skip the song, luckily before anyone noticed.  Not to mention issues with my own children.  There are quite a few messages on your support board about others having issues with the filter not working and I'm wondering if they might be Sonos users as well.  Can't imagine I'm the only one.

Labels (1)
6 Replies

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @gduren!

Thanks so much for you post.

Do you have this issue across all of your devices? Or just your Sonos?

Let me know.

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024
0 Kudos

gregmcf
Local Performer

Any update on this request? Pandora will filter songs from its own app but through Sonos, that filter does not work. I show Pandora is still not listed as a "Service than filter content". This additional is greatly needed for homes with Children. 

TannerPandora

Hi @gregmcf, thanks for posting. 

Is this happening on your stations? The explicit filter will only apply to your stations; it doesn't apply to podcasts, albums or playlists. 

If this was on a station, can you give me a little more feedback so I can take a look into this?

• What station did this happen on?
  • What was the artist?
  • Which song was it?

In the meantime, if haven't already, I would recommend giving a thumbs down to any explicit song that might play. 

Thanks for the help. 

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

Browandlashdays
Local Performer

I’m having the same problem & I play music in my Spa, it’s very embarrassing 

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @Browandlashdays Welcome to community.

I checked the Pandora account associated with your community profile and see that it is currently set to allow explicit content. 

To block explicit content, from a computer:

1. Click the icon (initial or picture) in the top right corner of the page.
  2. Select Settings.
  3. Click Content Settings on the left, then toggle the Explicit Content setting to Off to block explicit content. Setting it to On will allow explicit content.
  4. You'll need to Submit your password in order to confirm your changes.

Once this setting is turned off, we'll restrict explicit content for that account on all devices. This will limit Pandora to playing only music and ads that could play on daytime broadcast radio. 

Note that this can only be applied to the entire account and NOT specific stations. Also, it doesn't apply to podcasts. You can identify podcasts with explicit language by a red "E" label in the episode title.

++

We appreciate you making Pandora a part of your business.

Pandora is available and optimized for use in settings such as a business through Mood Media, with features like unlimited listening, no advertising, and a media player that can connect to your existing sound system.

Pandora for Business also ensures that you have the proper licenses to play music in your public setting. Due to the terms of our music licenses, the consumer version of the Pandora service (including Pandora Plus and Pandora Premium) can only legally be used to play music in a personal and private setting. Businesses, including non-profit or tax exempt organizations, must all have the proper licenses to play music, which also fairly compensates artists, authors, composers, publishers and other rights holders.

Use of Pandora in a commercial setting is available only via hardware sold by Mood Media. To learn more or sign up, please click here.

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

ThomasJ
Local Performer

@Pandora.  I believe the questions are specific to Sonos users streaming Pandora stations.  I have this issue as well.  I'm responsible for streaming music through our warehouse and office, and its always troubling to here explicit contents, even with Pandora set to filter out such content.  The question is, with this setting turned on in Pandora,  will it stay true when streaming Pandora through Sonos?

0 Kudos