cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Home - Using voice command "Play Pandora" starts Today's Hit Radio

CouchCommando
Local Performer

The “Today’s Hit Radio” recommendation or whatever you call it is the most annoying feature. About to drop Pandora if it doesn’t get removed. Every day when I use Google Home, I like turning on Pandora. Now I when I turn on Pandora it’s starts with a station I never asked for or opted into. There is no option to turn it off that I’m aware of. I have to manually remove it every time I use Pandora on Google home. Fix this 

Moderator Edit: Changing title for clarity

Labels (2)
11 Replies

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@CouchCommando I moved your post over to the Other Devices space.

Let's try running through some troubleshooting steps to help with your issue.

1. Check to see if there are any updates available for your Google Home and Pandora apps. Update if needed.
  2. Restart your Google Home device by unplugging the power source and plugging it back in.
  3. Try unlinking and relinking your Pandora account via the Google Home app.

I hope this is helpful. Let me know how it goes!

0 Kudos

panduser555
Local Performer

Agreed, I cannot find a way to turn this off and it is VERY annoying.  It did not work this way in the past. 

This is not a problem with linking, if I ask it to play a specific station, it will, but it creates this very annoying station if I simply ask to play music.  This must stop. 

0 Kudos

zsnafu
Underground

I don't know what changed. My Google speakers are linked to my Pandora.

When ever I said, "Play music" it would play the last thing listened to. Now it's play the god awful stuff on "Today's Hits."

Is anyone else having this problem.
I've had Pandora for about 14 years. Maybe it's time to switch.

Hell. I even delete it from my station list.

When I say play music then it's added back.

Why should I keep Pandora if it's going to play music I can't stand?!

I've been having the same problem.  I've been using Pandora for 14 years.  Paying for about 10.

Maybe it's time to move to Spotify if Pandora going to play music I can't stand.

Moderator Edit: Format

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @CouchCommando @zsnafu @panduser555 Thanks for posting your experience to community. 

To help look into this, can you please let me know the exact voice command that you use when requesting music to play on Pandora through your Google Home device.

Please include the model of your device and if possible, the generation. 

Thanks!

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

panduser555
Local Performer
Hello, what I have used is “hey google, play music”. Up until a month or so ago, it would bring up Pandora, and probably a recent channel/station. Now it brings up Pandora, creates a garbage station and plays that. I can find the station if I log on my PC, I can delete it, but next time I ask the google device to play music, it creates the station again.

Thanks
0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @panduser555! Thanks for following up and your feedback using voice commands with Google Home.

I would recommend using more specific voice commands to see if this will help. You can find more specific commands for Google Home, on the Google Nest Help page here

In the meantime, I've passed along your experience to our engineering team. 

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

rudy2828
Local Performer

This happens every day when I log on on my PC. I shuffle stations and Today's **ahem** comes back every day. Not just Google Home or an app.

CouchCommando
Local Performer

This did not work. It keeps creating this recommended playlist and I have to manually delete it every time I use the simple command of "Hey Google, Play Pandora".  It does listen when I ask it to play a specific playlist but I have my Pandora set up to play all of my playlists most of the time.  I like it to bounce between all of them but I don't enjoy when it adds the recommended playlist AND it seems to always start with it.  

I've have other issues using Pandora on Google Home.  Not sure if you can answer this but it honestly feels like as time goes on, the service on Google Home gets worse and worse.  

TannerPandora

Hi @CouchCommando - I've let our engineering team know and they are investigating the experience with using the voice command "Hey Google, Play Pandora". I'll update this thread with more information as its made available to me. 

In the meantime, using a voice command to request a specific station should work: "Hey Google, play [Station Name]" if Pandora is set to your default service or "Hey Google, play [Station Name] on Pandora if it's not.

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

Howardgm
Local Performer

I have the same problem.

zsnafu
Underground

Your solution doesn't work for automated systems.

0 Kudos