Local Performer

Low hish between songs??

0 Kudos
7 Replies

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@jbmunger Nice to see you around the Community. 👋🏽

I'd be happy to help with any questions you have, but I will need additional information to do so.

Can you explain your issue a bit further? The more details you're able to provide, the better equipped I'll be to help.

I look forward to hearing back.

jbmunger
Local Performer

Thanks for replying to my post.  I listen to my account through Xfinity cable to my Onkyo receiver to my Sennheizer wireless headphones.  I am too particular about sound quality!!!  But, during the 4 second fade between songs I hear an "old-time" hish as if from vinyl.  I am also getting a buzz.  Both may be happening during the song, but I can't discern it.  I was wondering if it was due to devices plugged into different circuits, as with a sound board.  Very puzzling, and to me, annoying.  Can you or the community suggest some possible ways to eliminate this?  Thanks!

John

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @jbmunger

Can you provide an example of a song this is happening on? I can take a closer look to see if it's part of the song or perhaps something else. 

Thanks!

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

jbmunger
Local Performer

I have tried several other approaches to the noise I am hearing.  I think I have eliminated equipment issues.  In addition to the persistent hish, I hear a "wooden-type" clacking, timed to the solo piano music, that seems almost as if I am hearing the keys or the movement of the piano itself.  Does Pandora post music that would have those artifacts?  Are some songs analog recordings and some digital?  

I have also run several trials through Spotify with similar results.  So I am still lost.  

I had another thought.  By using the high quality choice on good equipment (using more memory) am I hearing artifacts usually not heard?  I am going to try to capture  sound file and post that here.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@jbmunger We don't alter music equalization on Pandora from how it appears on the original releases, unlike terrestrial radio, which compresses the entire broadcast.

As a result, some songs sound louder than others. However, we do use the Replay Gain technique that encodes a fixed volume adjustment into the mp3/mp4 header so that the actual player (web browser, phone or device) can adjust volume just as the track begins playing.

If there are vast differences, it could also be due to different instrumentation or arrangements causing different apparent levels of volume where the actual decibel levels are the same.

That being said, if you have any specific examples of this happening, definitely send those over so we can take a closer look.

0 Kudos

jbmunger
Local Performer

I have spent several hours testing different platforms and delivery systems.  As best as I can determine, it is not equipment related.  I have isolated it to particular songs on both Pandora and Spotify.  I thought I  sent the song files that I captured s bit of but I don't see them here.  Did you receive them?  Please let me know Adam and I  can send them again, or send them directly to you as moderator.  Thanks!  John

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@jbmunger It doesn't look like any song files were attached to your previous post.

Feel free to simply send me a screenshot of any tracks where the audio sounds off.

I can then pass that information to our curation team so they can further investigate. 

0 Kudos