cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Resolved) Roku: Playback stops when screesaver starts

TannerPandora

Pandora Update: 1/18/23

Good news! We believe the issue with playback stopping on Roku has been resolved. This fix was released on Roku's side and should be available to all users now.

No additional steps are necessary to receive this update, however, if you continue to have trouble, it may be helpful to run through some Roku troubleshooting steps once more.

Since we believe this to be resolved, this thread will be closed to future comments. If you run into this issue again, please create a new post and reference this thread.

Thanks for being part of community!

Pandora Update 1/10/23:

Hi all! Thanks for posting your experience to community - sorry for any trouble listening to Pandora with Roku

Our engineering team is aware and investigating. I've gone ahead and added everyone in this thread to our ticket.

In the meantime, you can disable the screensaver on your Roku device with the following steps.

From the Roku Settings > Theme > Additional settings > Screensaver start time > Disable screensaver.

We'll keep you posted with updates as they are made available to the community team. Thanks for your patience in the meantime!

If you're new to this thread, and would like to be added to our report feel free to post.

Note, this thread is for user who are experiencing playback stopping when the screensaver on Roku is activated.

In your post, please include the include the following:

• What is the model?
  • What is the serial number? (Settings > System > About)
  • What Roku software version is your device using? (Settings > System > About)

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
73 Replies

Parrothead76
Local Performer

This same thing has started happening on my Roku TV. Screensaver kicks on and pandora stops. A week ago Jan. 2023 pandora Screensaver was working fine, now, I can't use the app unless I disable the TV Screensaver. 

0 Kudos

kloving
Local Performer

Hi All, I used the "In the meantime" fix above and it is an interim fix to the pausing/freezing issue on a Sharp Smart TV.  The only remaining issue is that the Pandora control screen does not switch to the roaming album cover of the current song, which is regrettable, but still an improvement to the pausing/freezing issue.  Hopefully, a fix will return the control screen to album cover screensaver soon.

In the meantime, you can disable the screensaver on your Roku device with the following steps.

From the Roku Settings > Theme > Additional settings > Screensaver start time > Disable screensaver.

0 Kudos

Patty1515
Opening Act

I'm using Pandora Beta which doesn't require disabling the screensaver. I'd rather not do that. It plays just fine. 

0 Kudos

LyraMac
Local Performer

Oh my...just found this thread..so glad I'm not the only one.  I'm fairly technology challenged, but I have tried just about everything everyone else has.  My situation is the same also as @BrianInBoise et al above, but... I DO get the Pandora screensaver if it manages to play more than one song, then sometimes when the song finishes the Roku screensaver pops on, sometimes with the song still playing, and when I go back to Pandora the album cover is still moving up and down but the timer is frozen, and the wee icon that indicates somethings playing is still moving even tho there is no sound and the song actually finished. If I don't catch that right away the Roku screensaver kicks in, and then for longer intervals the system just backs all the way out of Pandora back to my Roku Home screen.  I also have to hit fast forward to start Pandora playing if I get to it before it backs out and it continues playing the next song, then stops again...no consistency to it...Pandora ran with no issues for nearly 4 hours the other night, but that seems to have been a one off. Aaaaauuuurrrggh.  I don't know how to get the rest of the info asked for, but mine is a Roku Ultra, Model: 4670X, Serial Number: YJ00H4768412 playing on a Sony smart TV.  I just don't think it's got anything to do with Roku, seems....as everyone has mentioned....that it's a Pandora issue.

0 Kudos

Bbishal
Opening Act
In your channel list on your Roku, highlight the Pandora app, the press the asterisk * button

The pop-up window will tell you the Version number and Build number of your Pandora app that you're using.
0 Kudos

JP78Lampert
Local Performer

I am having the same issue with a Samsung TV and have gone thru the same steps to try to reconcile.

0 Kudos

JP78Lampert
Local Performer

I'm experiencing the same issue Samsung TV Model 7150, Roku Version 11.50, Build 4312-50.

0 Kudos

pattys_1968
Local Performer

I have figured out a work around (other than turning off the screen saver option).  Change the screen saver to not kick on for 5 or 10 minutes. 

Under settings, theme, (under additional settings, choose screensaver start time), choose 5 or 10 minutes.  This will cause the Pandora screen saver to kick on before the ROKU screen saver and this will no longer be an issue.

0 Kudos

Bbishal
Opening Act
Setting the Roku screensaver to come on after 5 or 10 minutes isn't a great solution. Its effectiveness depends on the length of the first song played. When the 1st played was less than 5 minutes long (was a 4 minute song), it worked because the Pandora screensaver came on during the second song, but before the five minutes ran out on the Roku screensaver timer. Music continued playing for the remainder of the 2nd song and into the 3rd song, 4th song, etc. while only using the Pandora screensaver.
When I tried the Pandora app again, another time, the 1st song that I played was 5 minutes and 20 seconds long. This time, the Roku screensaver came on during the 1st song that was playing, and the song stopped playing at the 5 minutes and 1 second mark (5:01). So until Pandora Support fixes the Pandora app, the only good temporary solution is to add the Pandora Beta app to the Roku channel list using the instructions previously listed in this post. 

0 Kudos

kleetis99
Local Performer

Same problem

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Pandora Update: 1/18/23

Good news! We believe the issue with playback stopping on Roku has been resolved. This fix was released on Roku's side and should be available to all users now.

No additional steps are necessary to receive this update, however, if you continue to have trouble, it may be helpful to run through some Roku troubleshooting steps, once more.

Since we believe this to be resolved, this thread will be closed to future comments. If you run into this issue again, please create a new post and reference this thread.

Thanks for being part of community!

Pandora Update 1/10/23:

Hi all! Thanks for posting your experience to community - sorry for any trouble listening to Pandora with Roku

Our engineering team is aware and investigating. I've gone ahead and added everyone in this thread to our ticket.

We'll keep you posted with updates as they are made available to the community team. Thanks for your patience in the meantime!

If you're new to this thread, and would like to be added to our report feel free to post.

Note, this thread is for user who are experiencing playback stopping when the screensaver on Roku is activated.

In your post, please include the include the following:

• What is the model?
  • What is the serial number? (Settings > System > About)
  • What Roku software version is your device using? (Settings > System > About)

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

kgese
Underground

Thank you for your help!

Mine is a Sharp Roku television 5318X.  

Model: LC-50LB481U

Serial: 2N0025767856  

Software Version: 11.0.0 build 4193-13

Pandora Version 5.7 build 2

My screensaver was enabled so I disabled it.  It seems to have resolved the issue however I would prefer to be able to have the screensaver on if there's another way to fix the problem.  I have to pause a lot for work meetings and would rather not have to exit out and turn everything off every time.

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @kgese! Roku released an update on their side. Can you please update to the most recent version which is 5.7 build 5 and try Pandora again.

Let me know if you're still having trouble.

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

kgese
Underground

The problem seems to be resolved!  Thank you for your help!