cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iOS: Offline Stations Don't Refresh

chowderhed
Local Performer

I am hating my offline stations lately.  What gets downloaded is almost unrecognizable from the stations I have spent years curating.  In the offline versions, I see almost none of the songs that I have liked or the variety I have added when using the online version.  I am hating what gets played!  And it seems so randomly unrelated to my station at all.  It will be some stream of the same kind of music over and over, with several tracks from artists I don't even like.  Even when I thumb down over half of the songs I don't want to be hearing, they don't get updated or replaced with the songs from my station that I actually like.  I made a station I like; why does the offline version have to wreck that?  It that on purpose so I'll upgrade to Premium?

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
18 Replies

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@chowderhed I moved your post over to the iOS space.

We do periodically refresh your offline stations based on your online listening habits and the Thumb feedback you give. Each offline station that is downloaded will provide approximately 3 hours of music for you to enjoy.

While listening offline, it's important to continue giving feedback in the form of Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down. The next time you connect to Pandora through Wi-Fi or a mobile network, we will use that info to personalize and replace the offline tracks with new ones.

This being said, it doesn't sound like your stations have been refreshing as of late.

Let's run through some troubleshooting steps to see if we can resolve this.

I'd recommend disabling the offline listening feature and re-enabling it, which will reset the download process. Then, make sure to keep Pandora in the foreground of your device while the download completes.

To do that from a mobile device:

1. Tap the Profile tab and then the Settings gear in the top right corner.
  2. Toggle Offline Mode off, and confirm that you'd like to remove the content from your device.
  3. Toggle Offline Mode on again, to reset the download process.
  4. Keep the Pandora app in the foreground of your device while your offline stations re-download.

If you continue to have trouble, please run through these additional troubleshooting steps found on our help page: Troubleshooting for iOS Devices

Thanks for working with me on this. 🤝

chowderhed
Local Performer
Yes, okay, I have done that already several times, and what happens when I
do that is that the station reloads exactly as it was before, with all the
songs I had thumbed down back on the station as if I had never thumbed them
down.

So then I tried just turning "offline listening" on and off periodically in
the hopes that it would update (without reloading the whole station), and
this afternoon the station just disappeared from my offline options, even
though it is the station I listen to the most often, both on and offline.
So AGAIN I turned offline off (in the settings section that says
"offline"), and turned it back on, and once again the station loaded up
with all the songs I don't like and have now thumbed down SEVERAL times.

I am now feeling actually angry when I hear these songs! So frustrating.
0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@chowderhed I completely understand how frustrating that can be.

I would like to report this issue to our engineers. Could you tell me more about your device?

• Device & Generation: (e.g. iPhone X, iPad Air (3rd gen), etc.)
  • Carrier:
  • iOS version: (Settings > General > About > Version)
  • Pandora version: (Pandora > Profile tab > Settings gear & scroll to the bottom of the screen)

Let me know. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024
0 Kudos

chowderhed
Local Performer
Hi, thanks.

I have had this problem on two different iphones. One is really old, but
the other is an iPhone 7, software version 14.6, carrier is Sprint 46.0.

Pandora version: 2107.1

Thanks!
0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@chowderhed Thanks so much for providing your device details. I've reported your experience to our engineering team so they can investigate. We appreciate your patience while they look into this. 🎧

Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
0 Kudos

Hosprings
Underground

"I've reported your experience to our engineering team so they can investigate." This seems to be the stock response for all issues around offline not refreshing for the last 4 years. Either the engineering side has chosen not to address the issue or in true engineering fashion will report that "it works as it's intended." If the mobile app is in maintenance mode with no plans to address these issues, just say so.

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey, @Hosprings. 👋

Thanks for your feedback. Looks like you've also reached out to our User Support team via email to help out with this issue in late August. However, we didn't receive a response after sharing the troubleshooting steps.

Currently, we're tracking and reporting this issue to our engineering team. I can add your information to the internal ticket we have open: 

• Carrier:
  • Pandora version: (Pandora > Profile tab > Settings gear & scroll to the bottom of the screen)

Thanks for reporting this, and for your help. 🎧

0 Kudos

rjtremble
Underground

Hello,

I accidentally deleted my thumbprint radio when trying to get my offline listening to upload new music.  While I can still search for it and listen to it, it doesn't show up in my stations and I can't get it to download for offline listening again.  I also cannot get any of my offline content to update with new music. I've tried turning offline off and back on, deleted the app, signed out, restarted my phone, etc.  Can you please assist?

Thanks!
Renee 

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@rjtremble I moved your post over to the iOS space.

Is it possible that this might be occurring because there is not enough storage on your device? Pandora will never use the last 500MB of storage on your device, so we will only download as many stations as we can before we hit that limit.

If it doesn't appear to be storage related, I'd recommend disabling the offline listening feature and re-enabling it, which will reset the download process. Then, make sure to keep Pandora in the foreground of your device while the download completes.

To do that from a mobile device:

2. Toggle Offline Mode off, and confirm that you'd like to remove the content from your device.
  3. Toggle Offline Mode on again, to reset the download process.
  4. Keep the Pandora app in the foreground of your device while your offline stations re-download.

If you continue to have trouble, please send over a screenshot showing the status of the downloads:

2. Next select Offline. You should now be able to view a progress bar indicating the current download status.
  3. Take a screenshot of what you see here and attach it to your direct reply to this email.

Let me know how it goes.

rjtremble
Underground

Hello,

Just wanted to check in on this.  I've replied to the email twice and tried all of the steps listed above (though as I mentioned in my original post, I had already tried that several times.)  My Thumbprint radio still has not come back in my list of stations, and it is the only one  I listen to in offline radio.  Can someone please help me get this station back?

thanks!
Renee 

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @rjtremble. 👋

Sorry I'm not seeing that your message came through. Thanks for the follow up.

I can add your information to the internal ticket we have open: 

• Carrier:

I really appreciate your help with this. 🎧

0 Kudos

rjtremble
Underground

@AlyssaPandora ,

thanks for getting back to me!  Adam's reply to me said to respond directly to the email I received, so that's what I did.

Just to clarify, does your above response mean there is nothing that can be done to recover the thumbprint station in my list of offline stations?  lease let me know.  

I have an iPhone XR through verizon, iOS 14.6, and pandora v 2108.1.1

Thanks,
Renee 

Hosprings
Underground

Another refresh where I have to manually delete stations in order to force new stations and new music to offline. If the dev team can find time to futz around with the Apple watch app which I will never use, they can find time to fix offline updates. Xs Max, 15.0.1, 2801.1.1 

0 Kudos

Hosprings
Underground

Awesome. 2 random stations that I listened to for a couple of songs last month just downloaded. Offline for the win!

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, @Hosprings. 👋

Our engineers were able help with the offline station refresh, this should be resolved tomorrow. Thanks for the update on your stations! 👍

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey, @rjtremble. 👋

I've taken a deeper look at your account. It looks like your Thumbprint Radio was deleted and then restored on10/04/2021. When you delete a station, it will remove it from your offline stations too. 

I've shared your experience with our engineering team so they can review what's happening with your offline tunes. 

Could you confirm which stations you currently have for offline listening on your device currently?

Let me know as I'd like to share this information with our engineers too. 🎧

0 Kudos

rjtremble
Underground

Hi @AlyssaPandora ,

The issue is that thumbprint radio has never appeared back in my list of stations. I have to search for it and then I can listen to it, but whenever I restart the app or turn downloading off and back on, it vanishes.  Currently I have sugarland and carried underwood radio downloaded, but all I want is thumbprint. 

Thanks,
Renee

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@rjtremble Thanks for the follow up. I've shared this information with our engineering team for you. 

We appreciate your patience while they look into this. 🎧