cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iOS: Unable to Completely Close App

pharrington
Local Performer

I purchased a new iPhone 12 (replacing an 8+) and when I try to shutdown the Pandora app I am unable to do so.  Pausing the play while the application runs in the background unnecessarily eating battery life is unacceptable.  What is the correct steps to take to completely shutdown the app?  Swiping up to shutdown all other applications works but Pandora apparently has decided to get cute and ignore the action when performed.  Powering off my phone is the only way to actually shut down the app.

Not that Pandora gives a **ahem**, but If there is no way to address this as per past practice of easily being able to shut down the application its getting uninstalled permanently.  

mod edit: changed title for clarity

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@pharrington I moved your post over to the iOS space.

You should be able to exit the Pandora app on your iPhone 12 the same way you do with other apps.

Since it sounds like swiping up to close the app isn't working, please run through the following troubleshooting steps to see if it resolves this: Troubleshooting for iOS Devices

Let me know how it goes.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@pharrington I moved your post over to the iOS space.

You should be able to exit the Pandora app on your iPhone 12 the same way you do with other apps.

Since it sounds like swiping up to close the app isn't working, please run through the following troubleshooting steps to see if it resolves this: Troubleshooting for iOS Devices

Let me know how it goes.

0 Kudos

JRM1004
Local Performer

I have the same issue and none of the suggestions in the iOS space worked.  Pandora is the only app that will not close.  Any additional suggestions? 

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @JRM1004. 👋

Thanks for reporting this. Based on your post, it sounds like you've tried running through the standard troubleshooting steps here: iOS Troubleshooting

If you're still having trouble after the steps, I can report this over to our engineering team on your behalf so they can investigate. Could you tell me more about your device?

• Device & Generation: (e.g. iPhone X, iPad Air (3rd gen), etc.)
  • Carrier:
  • iOS version: (Settings > General > About > Version)
  • Pandora version: (Pandora > Profile tab > Settings gear & scroll to the bottom of the screen)
  • Are you connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data when this is happening?
  • What happens when you swipe up and attempt to close the app on your iOS device?
  • Do you receive any error messages? 
  • Are you connected to any additional devices (like a Bluetooth device / speaker / vehicle) when this occurs?

Let me know. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What song fits your mood today?
Check out new tunes this week: New Music: Picks of the Week (04.09.24)
0 Kudos

Pruppert
Local Performer

Spotify app also  is impossible to close on my phone (Android). That plus Joe Rogin caused me to cancel Spotify. I'm sad to see that Pandora does the same thing.

0 Kudos

Hojo813
Local Performer

When I close Pandora and open it back up, it just continues playing where it left off. If I change the station and come back to that station it’s at the same spot. I can’t shut down the app and then open it up to a different song on the same station. It’s very annoying.

0 Kudos

GeraldPandora
Pandora Moderator - Emeritus
Pandora Moderator - Emeritus

Hi there @Hojo813 👋 Welcome to the Community and thanks for the post!

I've moved your original post onto a similar thread under iOS: Unable to Completely Close App.

Usually, you should be able to completely close the app by viewing all open apps and swiping up the apps you would like to close.

If you're having trouble completely closing Pandora (by the method above), let's try some troubleshooting steps to see if this help.

Please complete our iOS Troubleshooting Steps to see if this helps. In the meantime, I've enabled a trace on your account so that we can take a closer look.

Hope this helps, let us know if this works!

Gerald | Community Moderator
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Follow us on Twitter @ PandoraSupport
0 Kudos

Ravenwish66
Local Performer

I have the exact same issue.  The app does not shut down when closed and remains running in the background, even when performing a hard stop to the app..  it continues to run in the background eating up my data and charge.   I uninstalled once and recently reinstalled (I honestly missed a couple of my stations) and the issue continues 🫤😥.  I'll have to uninstall permanently I think.  What a drag 😞

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Ravenwish66 You should be able to exit the Pandora app on your iPhone 12 the same way you do with other apps.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, can you please send me a screenshot of where you can see the app is still running in the background?

(Please note you won't be able to attach images via email - you will need to open this Community link in a web browser in order to provide attachments)

Thanks for working with me on this.

0 Kudos