cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iOS: Unable to Start via Headphone Buttons

mohmann
Local Performer

Hello, would just like to echo that I am also receiving this issue, using Aftershokz aeropex bluetooth headphones and an iPhone 12 Pro Max. Has there been any progress on this issue? Kind of incredible that it has been known for almost two years

Labels (1)
44 Replies

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @mohmann. 👋

Thanks so much for sharing your experience.

I have seen other mentions of similar issues when using a Bluetooth headphones. We did create an internal ticket with our engineering team in the past. We did receive reports that the issue was fixed by other listeners. However, I'm starting to see new reports about this (including yours) in the Pandora Community. There's another thread here specifically for AirPods: Unable to Resume Play with Bluetooth AirPods/Lockscreen 

++

First, I would recommend checking out my message about this issue here.

If the issue persists, would you mind sharing the requested device info?

Let me know and I can report this issue. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

ArgusRex
Local Performer

Hello,

I am also experiencing this issue on my iPhone.

I tried uninstalling/reinstalling the Pandora app, as well as unpairing/repairing my Bluetooth headphones (AfterShokz Aeropex).

When I try to resume playback using the media control button on the headphones, the audio "stutters" for a brief moment, and then goes silent. This issue only occurs after a period of inactivity (my guess is 30 seconds). In order to resume playback, I must interact with my iPhone's lock screen media playback controller as follows : PLAY ; PAUSE ; PLAY . Only then am I able to resume my music. This is very frustrating, and only seems to be an issue with the Pandora app!!

Please help, thank you.

ArgusRex
Local Performer

Hey Alyssa,

I appreciate your prompt response. Here is the info you requested:

Device & Generation: iPhone Xs

Carrier: Sprint

iOS version: 14.6 (18F72)

Pandora version: 2106.1

The issue occurs both on WiFi and cellular data.

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks, @ArgusRex! I've shared this information with our engineering team on your behalf. 🎧

Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?

jkaplan
Local Performer

I'm having this problem with Bose QC30 bluetooth headphones. It's definitely something with the app. 

Phone: Brand new iphone 12 mini.  I cleared all settings from the QC30's and re-paired.  There are no other pairings for the QCs, and the only other pairing on the phone's bluetooth is Apple Watch.

When the Pandora app is in foreground, I can use the control on the headphone's to pause. But pressing it again does not play (continue) the music.

I CAN double click the control on the headphone and the music does skip to the next song and start playing. 

Now the strange part:   When the phone is locked, the control WILL pause and restart the music as expected. This is true whether the screen is dark or displaying the lock screen.  The controls also work properly if ANY OTHER app is in foreground. 

Also, with wired headphones, everything works correctly.

Therefore, it is definitely a bug in the Pandora iPhone app - play control not working when app is in foreground with Bluetooth audio. 

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @jkaplan. 👋

I moved your post over to this existing thread: iOS: Unable to Start Playback via Headphone Buttons

We do have an open internal ticket with our engineering team to investigate this. In the meantime, it sounds like you may have also tried running through the standard steps to troubleshoot the Pandora app on your iOS device: iOS Troubleshooting

If the issue persists, could you tell me more about your device?

• Device & Generation: iPhone 12 Mini
  • Carrier:
  • iOS version: (Settings > General > About > Version)
  • Pandora version: (Pandora > Profile tab > Settings gear & scroll to the bottom of the screen)
  • Are you connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data when this is happening?
  • Have you identified any other patterns or notable information?

Thanks for your help with this. 🎧

Jmitchellblues6
Local Performer

Having problems when I try to start pandora when I tap tap earbuds
Having problems with that in sporadic starts at one time but nothing more

mod edit: format

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey, @Jmitchellblues6. 👋

Thanks so much for reporting your experience.

Please check out my message here for troubleshooting. You can also try repairing your headphones with your phone via Bluetooth to see if that helps.

If the issue continues, could you tell me more about your device?

• Device & Generation: 
  • Carrier:
  • Pandora version: (Pandora > Profile tab > Settings gear & scroll to the bottom of the screen)

Let me know. 🎧

Mhebb
Underground

When I pause music on my AirPods Pro I have to get my phone out to unpause. I can’t just click the AirPod and resume play. I can hear music for a milli second when I try to unpause, but it won’t just start playing again. I have unpaired my Airpods and re connected with no luck. Anyone else have this issue or a solution?? 

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey, @Mhebb. 👋

I've seen a few posts about this recently around the community space. I moved your post over to this existing thread: iOS: Unable to Start via Headphone Buttons

Another option is trying out the standard steps to troubleshoot the Pandora app on your iOS device: iOS Troubleshooting

Our engineering team is currently investigating this issue and we have an internal ticket open with them. Would you mind telling me a bit more about the iOS device you're using?

• Device & Generation: 
  • Carrier:

Thanks so much for your help with this. 🎧

0 Kudos

Mhebb
Underground

What good is it forwarding any of my information if this problem has been going on for more then 2 years? Seems like I just need to go back to Apple Music where I didn’t have any problems, especially problems that have been around for 2 years…

david2ds
Local Performer

Hi, Alyssa, I'm having the same problem with the button with my AirPods Max button on the Pandora website.  It works as advertised on Apple Music but will only control the volume when I'm in Pandora.

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey, @david2ds. 👋

Thanks so much for providing those details. I've added this to the internal ticket we have open with our engineers. We appreciate your patience while this is investigated. 🎧

0 Kudos

Mhebb
Underground

Can you please remove me from this useless thread? Thanks in advance…

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Mhebb Yes, you can edit your notification options. Here's how to change your notification settings for specific (or all) threads that you've participated in: Click on your Community Profile > My Settings > Preferences or Subscriptions and Notifications. 

Hope this helps. 🎧

0 Kudos

Ebiz
Underground

Am I the only one noticing that all the above links point straight back to this page, and there is no resolution for this issue?  Why have circular links?  When will this issue be resolved?

0 Kudos

Brian86
Underground

I am having this same issue with multiple Bluetooth headphones. iPhone 12 mini. iOS 15.2. Rebooted the phone multiple times, deleted the app off the phone and re-installed, but nothing fixes this issue. Other music apps work just fine.

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey, @Brian86. 👋

Thanks for reporting your issue with Bluetooth playback, and sorry for the continued trouble.

Could you share the following details about your device?

• Make and Model of Bluetooth Headphones:
  • Carrier:

Let me know, and I can report your feedback to our engineers. 🎧

0 Kudos

Brian86
Underground

I have the issue with Apple AirPods Pro and Outdoor Technology Chips 2.0

Carrier is AT&T. The issue occurs over WiFi as well.

Pandora version 2110.1.1

I have the exact issue/symptoms as @ArgusRex describes above. 

0 Kudos