cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android: Persistent player notification / Background activity when app is closed

Phantomstormy
Underground

Hello,

I've had a similar problem a few weeks ago (Pandora unpausing when I didn't ask it to), but it didn't happen as often as others commented above. However, I think it stopped on its own but with with a new problem in its place. When I have Pandora closed, a notification saying, "Unknown by Unknown" pops up on my notification screen and I cannot get rid of it. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app, and it still persists. How may I solve both of these problems should the both continue?

Thank you for your time.

Moderator Edit: Changing title for clarity

Labels (1)
196 Replies

karahoward
Local Performer

If my Bluetooth is on, will connect to my phone and then never turn off, even when I hit close all apps. Only closes when force stop on active background.

Music doesn't play, just app running, killing my battery. This time it was on for 20 hours - never playing just running.

S 21

Already uninstalled and reinstalled app.

Auto play not on

adrnln8
Underground

Not solved - Again none of your suggestions do anything. Update doesn't help. Not solved, stop saying it is.

Doesn't help, doesn't change anything. Pandora is still running all the time and always auto-connects and auto-plays whenever I connect to any sort of bluetooth or headphones.

Moderator Edit: Changing title for clarity

DenaW
Underground
I'm looking into Spotify.  I think they have a free app but with commercials.

Bprob
Underground
Yes, very similar to Pandora, plus some other features. I was being loyal
to Pandora before all these issues but considering Spotify. I pulled the
trigger and switched and am liking it.

monkeycsk
Opening Act

i installed Spotify and trying it out for now, naturally, i forced stop Pandora in order to suppress those silly notifications when the app is not even running.

it will be a matter of when i uninstall this knowing Pandora chose to ignore all our complaints and not to address this annoying bug.

@Bprob...thanks

mod edit: merged comments

MusicFan89898
Local Performer

I keep seeing posts about how the issue of pandora randomly starting blasting music and draining battery is resolved. It is absolutely NOT RESOLVED! I am giving up on This garbage app and shame on Pandora for allowing this to go on for so long and lie about the fix. 

monkeycsk
Opening Act

** update after installing Spotify for a few days

1. launch spotify, start the music

2. swipe up to recent apps and close Spotify

3. pull down to see notifications, Spotify is there...hmmm

anyone have the same behavior??

0 Kudos

Bprob
Underground
I see it Auto starts, in the background, when I reboot my phone. However, I
can close it from notifications and doesn't reopen until I want it open. If
I open it and swipe up to close it, it stays closed. So far, still way
better than Pandora!
0 Kudos

Sumo813
Local Performer

I have a similar issue on a Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 5G. (whew, say that 5x fast! lol.) In the other thread, folks indicate the app just rando starts because it's running in the background. I have not had that experience, thankfully. But this issue has been happening to me for quite some time (as long as I've owned the N20U5G). In my case, I believe it likely has something to do with Android Auto, and the fact I use Pandora as my main music. But whenever I leave the car, I close the app as it shows in the dropdown. This does not close it in the background, though. So it continues to draw power from the battery.

SgtJohnMStryker
Local Performer
Gotcha. Please contact Pandora support via e-mail. Pandora will only
reply via e-mail. Pandora has been well aware of this major glitch but is
reluctant to cure and correct the issues with listeners. Good Luck.
0 Kudos

Kj9
Local Performer

Exactly what I've been going thru. Have to force stop everytime.

Agreed.. Very annoying. Never had this problem before. 

Millcityreppin
Local Performer

Has there been a solution to as to why directly after disconnecting from android auto pandora still shows as playing in my background? I already have "launch from car" shut off as its been sunce I've had my android auto, and i am  not going to sit here every afternoon force closing the app when i know i really shouldn't have to.

Any help whatsoever would be great, i see a whole lot of the same issue yet support just keeps telling us to try the obvious, (force close, clear cache, shut off launch from car) those i don't even want to hear only answers that have been proven to work.

Thank you

Leo

0 Kudos

MusicFan5427
Underground

I'm on 2308.1.1 on a galaxy s22+ and the issue is still very much present. Sometimes it starts playing audibly, and sometimes it just turns on in the background without sound and wastes my battery. This is getting absurd. It's been doing this for months, sometimes even right after I close or force stop the app. Please fix this

Without interaction at all, even if the app has been force stopped

Moderator Edit: Format and merged posts

monkeycsk
Opening Act

Pandora rolls out a new release v2310.1 today.

has anyone tried to see if they fixed the issues everyone has reported?

@pfmfmf

Pandora can't seem to fix something as simple as this.  what a real shame.

yup. i wonder why they even bother to push out updates if they DO NOT fix anything.

mod edit: merged comments
0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @MusicFan5427 Sorry to hear this is happening.

I'm happy to pass this along to our engineering team for further review and investigation. I've enabled a trace on your account to help me collect additional information about your experience. While this trace is enabled, can you please perform the following steps on your mobile device.

1. Open your device Settings
  2. Tap Apps
  3. Scroll down to find Pandora
  4. Select Storage
  5. On the storage details page tap Clear Data.

Please note, that after completing these steps, you will be logged out and will need to log back into Pandora. Once you've logged back in try to listen to Pandora as you normally would.

I appreciate your help with this.

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

pfmfmf
Local Performer

Latest update Oct 2023 still starts app on its own after restarting phone

Taco77
Underground

The app player is always on the notification screen. Sometimes there's two notifications I have to swipe to get rid of both of them. Also with Android auto starts playing automatically even though I haven't set to not play automatically. I was trying to listen to something on my phone and Android auto playing over it.

0 Kudos

Mjv5864
Local Performer

Have a new S23 Ultra.  Pandora v2310.1.  Pandora starts playing after I restart the phone.  Sometimes it stops after a few seconds.  Sometimes it just keeps playing.  I've forced stopped and cleared the cache.  Restarted the phone numerous times.  Where are we with a permanent fix, folks???

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Mjv5864 To clarify, does sound actually play from your phone when Pandora opens? Or does the app just open automatically when you restart your phone (however no sound plays)?

In the meantime, I recommend running through the following troubleshooting steps:

1. Open your device Settings
  2. Tap Apps
  3. Scroll down to find Pandora
  4. Select Storage
  5. On the storage details page tap Clear Data.

Please note, that after completing these steps, you will be logged out and will need to log back into Pandora. 

Thanks for working with me on this.

0 Kudos

Mjv5864
Local Performer
The app opens and music plays.

⁣Get TypeApp for Android ​