cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android: Stations Switch Unprompted

ChristinaATL
Local Performer

How do I stop at my stations from automatically switching? I can be listening to one station or album and then Boom! A switch sound occurs and it goes to another station. it's frustrating. I have a subscription but I'm about over this! I could be listening to Drake and then it'll automatically change to my customized gospel station.  Ugghhhh 

Moderator Edit: Changed title for clarity

Labels (1)
37 Replies

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Dgidgi To clarify, does the music switch when listening to your collected radio stations?

Or are you listening to an album or playlist, and the music switches over to one of your collected stations before making it through the full album or playlist?

I ask because I can see you initiated multiple Pandora Premium Sessions prior to posting your feedback on the Community.

When you accept a complimentary Premium Access session of Pandora Premium from Pandora (by interacting with an advertisement in order to listen to content on-demand), you'll automatically be transitioned into the Premium experience, which looks a little different from our radio-only or Pandora Plus experiences. 

These Premium Access sessions allow you to create playlists, or collect songs or albums to listen to right away, rather than waiting to hear them play on a station.

When your Premium Access session expires you'll be returned to your normal Pandora app experience, but we'll automatically save your on-demand music collection for your next Premium experience.

So if you were listening to an album or playlist, you will automatically be sent back to the free service at the end of the Premium session, and will be brought back to one of your collected stations instead.

If you're eager to jump back into Pandora Premium, you can always upgrade your account or check your trial eligibility on our upgrade page

Let me know if this helps. 

padupadup02
Underground

I am having the same / similar issue with my phone.  I believe I have implemented the recommended suggestions in the link above - https://help.pandora.com/s/article/Trouble-Streaming-Pandora-on-Android-1519949305958?language=en_US  No luck.  So,

Model of Phone: BLU Advance L5

Carrier: xfinity

Android Version 8.1.0

Build number: OPM2.171019.012

Pandora Version 2201.1 (android-tuner 22011001)

This happens both when shuffling stations or when listening to a playlist.  It can occur mid-song or during a delay when songs change (after one ends / before a new one begins).  It always changes to the same station (one that is not selected for shuffle - the circle is not dark).  The phone has no cell service.  Is connected via WiFi only. HELP

0 Kudos

padupadup02
Underground

Same / similar problem - Pandora changes stations / playlist to 'default' station with no rhyme or reason.  Sometimes in the middle of a song; usually during a longer than normal break between songs.  Have tried the initial trouble shooting steps.  This can occur anywhere between every 3 minutes to once in two weeks (currently happening just about every other song).  Solution please?????

Model BLU Advance L5

Carrier xfinity

Android version 8.1.0

Android security patch August 5, 2021

Build number OPM2.171019.012

Pandora version 2201.1(android-runer 22011001)

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @padupadup02. 👋

Thanks for reporting your experience and running through the steps here: Android Troubleshooting

Could you share a bit more about what is happening?

I do see that you're upgraded to Premium. Does this issue occur when you're listening to a station, individual song, album, station or playlist?

Have you noticed any error messages when this happens?

Let me know. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

padupadup02
Underground

OK.  I use the "shuffle" feature on Pandora for "My Stations".  The switching to the 'default' station occurs, unannounced, with no error message (other than the 'bbbrring'  tone - sometimes - not always).  It can switch in the middle of a song.  It also occurs when a song is over - before the new song starts - usually (but not always) there is a longer delay at the end of the song before the switch.  I have also experienced this same situation when playing a "playlist".  It is most frustrating.  I don't think I listen to individual songs (I don't select a song to listen to - I listen to stations that I've selected in 'My Stations' via shuffle.  Likewise, I don't select albums to listen to.  Let me know if you would like more info.  HELP.  Thanks in advance.    

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you so much for providing those additional details, @padupadup02. I've gone ahead and shared this with our engineering team on your behalf. We appreciate your patience during this process. 🎧

Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?

Jimmy4
Local Performer

This happens to me as well. It happens on my phone - when in android auto mode, as well as desktop through Chrome.

I tried your above steps but it just happened again.

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey, @Jimmy4. 👋

Does hit happen when listening to a station, individual song, album, station or playlist?

Also, have you noticed whether this issue occur after you've initiated a Premium Access session?

Let me know. 🎧

lindaj764
Local Performer

Hello. I sm having the problem of Pandora switching unprompted to a station that is not even on my list.  I tried clearing the data, but that did not help.  I am listening on my Samsung Galaxy S10e Android, Model# SM-G970U.

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @lindaj764. 👋

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble. Thank you for clearing your app data to see if that helped.

• Which station does it switch to when you're having this issue?
  • Also, have any error messages popped up? If so, what exactly does it say?
  • The next time this occurs, would you mind getting the approximate date and time so that we can take a deeper look?
  • Are you listening in your vehicle when this happens?

Let me know. Thanks so much for your help with this. 🎧

lindaj764
Local Performer
I am playing Pandora on my cell phone connected to a Bose speaker. ia Bluetooth wireless.  It switches between my jazz station and a classical music station that I never selected.  There have been no error messages. The latest occurrence was today between 11 am and 1 pm ET. It had been happening for the last few weeks. Thank you. Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S10e, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for getting back to me, @lindaj764.

Looks like this is your Oscar Peterson Radio station. I've looked at your account and found that you have added an errant seed, Johann Sebastian Bach, to that station. 

Here's a screenshot:

Screen Shot 2022-07-26 at 3.08.31 PM.png

In the meantime, I've gone ahead and removed this for you. I believe this is why you're hearing tracks that don't fit.

In the future, you can delete the bad seed by editing your station. 

To do that:

1. From My Collection, visit your station list.
  2. Tap on the name of the station you'd like to edit.
    • If you're a Pandora Premium subscriber, this will take you directly to the station's "backstage page." 
    • If you're a free listener or Pandora Plus subscriber, this will start your station, so tap the the Thumb icon in the upper right corner of your screen to continue to the station's backstage page.
  3. From the station's backstage page, tap on the Edit icon (the small pencil to the left of the play icon) to edit your station, and scroll down to Station Created From.
  4. Remove this "bad seed" by tapping the small (X) beside that item.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you continue to have trouble. 🎧

Vinales34
Local Performer

When I put on pandora. It switches to car radio.

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @Vinales34. 👋

Sounds like you might be having some trouble.

Could you clarify a bit more about what's happening during your listening session?

• Are you listening to Pandora in your vehicle when this happens?
  • If so, could you share a bit more about how you're connected? Are you using a USB or Bluetooth?
  • Have you noticed any error messages? If so, what exactly does it say?
  • Does it switch stations within the Pandora app? Or, does it switch from Pandora to your car radio without being prompted?

The more details you're able to provide, the better equipped I'll be to help. Let me know. 🎧

0 Kudos

Leiana
Local Performer

Go to settings and go to advanced and go to autoplay 

And turn that off it worked for me 

audrey5432
Local Performer

This is happening to me as well. After a song or 2 the app switches stations. I've cleared my cashe and it does not help. 

Model: Android Galaxy A51

Carrier: cricket

Pandora version: 2308.1.1

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @audrey5432. 👋

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this. I moved your post over to a more applicable thread since you're using an Android device: Android: Stations Switch Unprompted

Could you try clearing your app data for Pandora to see if this helps resolve the issue you're experiencing?

You can find those steps here: Android Troubleshooting

Let me know how it goes. 🎧

0 Kudos

BeachGeek
Local Performer

On WiFi, cellular data, or both?

Solid connection when it happens?

If station it switches to is a downloaded one, good chance it's a slightly too long interrupt in data.

0 Kudos